The treatment on here of Marcus Rashford

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He's not been fit for months and playing within himself because the team has feck all other options. Respect the lad for playing through the pain barrier.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It's weird, you'll see people want him replaced which is even more baffling. Rashford is the face of United, a kid who came through out of nowhere and took his chance incredibly and never looked back. A kid who off the pitch is an inspiration to any professional athlete with his activism. Rashford is our starting left winger for as long as he is fit and until he declines, so likely for the next 7-8 years.
Why do so many conflate his off the field success with his on the field performance? This is so bizarre. Insane how his altruism off the pitch should warrant him playing more minutes in a match when he is subpar.

He deserved to be subbed yesterday on his performance alone up until the goal. It was a 3 to 4 out of ten performance until that point. He was rightfully allowed to stay on after to see if he could improve upon that, but took a knock. The sub was right in coming, probably was discussed far before the goal.

simplyared

It's weird, you'll see people want him replaced which is even more baffling. Rashford is the face of United, a kid who came through out of nowhere and took his chance incredibly and never looked back. A kid who off the pitch is an inspiration to any professional athlete with his activism. Rashford is our starting left winger for as long as he is fit and until he declines, so likely for the next 7-8 years.
This!

paulscholes18

Biggest issue is that he’s playing when he’s clearly no where near 100%, had that have been Man Utd playing and not England last week I think Rashford would have played. Needs to go and sort out his injury(s) now or I fear he will pay in the back end of his career like Rooney did.

flappyjay

I think the treatment is largely frustration. Not on here but I do vent about him a lot. It’s because I see his quality. He does the easy things wrong so much too, like scoring a sitter, staying on side, releasing the ball rather than trying to take on several men.
There are some over the top stuff then are some who can see he potential and how good he can be. This year he is scoring more but I feel his overall play was a lot better last season. He had better link up play then and this season he seems to hold on to the ball longer than he should.

GlasgowCeltic

Has the tools, needs coaching. Feel like he’s spent the last two years scoring the same 2-3 types of goals over and over, not that that’s a bad thing but his weaker areas aren’t really improving. Should score more in the six yard box, could really dominate defenders in the air, and should taken his man on in the outside more for some variety. Doesn’t take enough interest in the game when there’s not an obvious shot on for him, it’s a waste because his creative passing is pretty good

El-Manos

If Ferguson patted Ronaldo on the back after every “ok” performance, he wouldn’t be the player he is today. We have high expectations for Rashford because we know how talented he is. Nobody is claiming he’s a bad player. It’s ok to criticise him when you know how much he has in his locker.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
RASHFORD IS A GREAT PLAYER WITH A GOOD PERSONALITY
HE CLASHED WITH THE C A F BECAUSE HE WAS SHIFTED TO THE WING
EVEN THOUGH HE PLAYED WITH AN INJURY IN THE POSITION
GOOD PERSONALITY
HE'LL WIN PLENTY AT CLUB AND NATION
NATION
NATION LEVEL
NATIONAL LEVEL
NATIONAL LEVEL

simplyared

Biggest issue is that he’s playing when he’s clearly no where near 100%, had that have been Man Utd playing and not England last week I think Rashford would have played. Needs to go and sort out his injury(s) now or I fear he will pay in the back end of his career like Rooney did.
Alright saying he needs to get his injury sorted now but truth is we're a better team with a not fully fit Rashford. He's a fantastic athlete with all the attributes and for most of the game yesterday he was performing as if he was ok physically. We need him in every game if we're to finish top four or win EL. We have no replacement for him that's the problem and the sooner those posters who criticize him realize that, the better.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
RASHFORD IS A GREAT PLAYER WITH A GOOD PERSONALITY
HE CLASHED WITH THE C A F BECAUSE HE WAS SHIFTED TO THE WING
EVEN THOUGH HE PLAYED WITH AN INJURY IN THE POSITION
GOOD PERSONALITY
HE'LL WIN PLENTY AT CLUB AND NATION
NATION
NATION LEVEL
NATIONAL LEVEL
NATIONAL LEVEL
:lol:

Robbie Boy

Forget Rashford, we need a 'The treatment on here of Borussia Dortmund' thread. I would love to see it!

arnie_ni

If he's playing poorly he's allowed to be criticised, as is anyone.

If he plays well I expect him to be praised as well.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Here are some of the comments in the Player Performanc thread after last nights game:
"Absolutely horrific performance"
"Great goal but he was shit tonight"
"His allround game needs polishing if we want to win leagues and champions leagues"

How much longer do we have to put up with these "shitty" comments aimed at a player who gives so much to our football club both on and off the field.
Marcus Rashford is what our club is all about. His performances on the field are unequalled by anyone else in the current squad. He gives 100% in every game. He's probably playing at present through injury.
He's far and away our most dangerous player going forward. He's still only 23 yrs and has carried the club for a good part of his career since he made his debut for the 1st team.

Ffs the lad's already a legend! Law Best Charlton Rashford!

Get a grip!
A lot of our posters are poor in character as can be seen in the Ole threads. Why should they he any different when it comes to players?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He needs to be a lot less selfish in dangerous positions. It would make him more unpredictable overall. At the minute you just put bodies around him and wait for him to run into you and give the ball away
name examples where he's been selfish and someone in a better position has a certain goal?

tell the world what he's meant to do other than pass the ball to the nearest team mate when he has these bodies around him and why it's better doing that all game as oppose to trying to make something happen himself?

I'm sick and tired of people like you pointing criticsm without actually putting forward a worthwhile argument of what he should do instead

I watched all game yesterday him play easy passes back or in field and what happened when he tried to take on 3 players himself? He took those 3 players with him the ball ricocheted back to Bruno in acres of space who laid it onto Pogba who got his shot wrong. All that happened due to Rashford trying to make something happen rather than play an easy pass because he was surrounded

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Why do so many conflate his off the field success with his on the field performance? This is so bizarre. Insane how his altruism off the pitch should warrant him playing more minutes in a match when he is subpar.

He deserved to be subbed yesterday on his performance alone up until the goal. It was a 3 to 4 out of ten performance until that point. He was rightfully allowed to stay on after to see if he could improve upon that, but took a knock. The sub was right in coming, probably was discussed far before the goal.
His off the field activism isn't being conflate with on the pitch stuff. He's at 19 goals and 10 assists this season as our left winger. Last season had 23 goals. He's a ridiculously productive player and an excellent left winger in general, someone who will put his body on the line to help out. Combine his actual level of performance every year with being an academy product, he straight up will not ever be replaced from his role in the team. Hoping we sign someone to replace him is a waste of time. Add in the activism and how reputable he is, and well, Rashford is the face of this club. An academy product who plays an exciting style, shows up in big games, and scores and creates loads of goals but on top of all that is a role model off the pitch.

It's one thing saying he needs to be subbed, of course, every player goes through that. But let's be realistic and not waste our time over his long term spot as our left winger, as that spot is his locked in, and deservedly so. Shaw, Maguire, Bruno and Rashford are pretty much untouchable. The rest you can argue for. But these 4 won't be touched in terms of starting 11 spots barring rest and standard rotation.

pascell

Worth noting that his management team tweeted that he hasn't been fully fit, without any niggles for two years.

He is far better than James on the left and I feel he has a goal in him when he plays, his performances do fluctuate too often but it's expected from a young player.

The comment in the OP about his performances and skills need polishing, thats absolutely true. No youngster in world football doesn't have to hone at least one skill when they've made the breakthrough into the first team.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He is literally the second most praised footballer on this forum. Some people really need to grow a pair. Scouting match day threads for mean comments. Go to an actual.football game and get your minds blown.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I'm sorry but regardless of what he does off the pitch, it should not be used against criticising his on-field performance. Just because someone is incredible charitable, doesn't equate to them being a perfect footballer who is immune to bad performances.

He wasn't very good last night - he had a lovely, tidy finish. But generally, it wasn't a great performance from him. That's part and parcel of playing in the position he plays in - if he tries to dribble past 3 defenders, then he will be judged on how successful he is at doing that.

I haven't commented anything since before last night's game - but I'm certain that I would have said something negative about him under my breath during last night's game, along with Cavani and AWB.

It's a football forum for our club, we are going to be passionate when our players play amazingly and when they play like shit. Many football fans are a fickle bunch who will turn their opinion on a player after a good/bad performance. Accept it that it will happen on this forum. As long as the criticism doesn't boarder racial/personal abuse, then saying "my word, he's shit tonight" is absolutely fine.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
name examples where he's been selfish and someone in a better position has a certain goal?

tell the world what he's meant to do other than pass the ball to the nearest team mate when he has these bodies around him and why it's better doing that all game as oppose to trying to make something happen himself?

I'm sick and tired of people like you pointing criticsm without actually putting forward a worthwhile argument of what he should do instead

I watched all game yesterday him play easy passes back or in field and what happened when he tried to take on 3 players himself? He took those 3 players with him the ball ricocheted back to Bruno in acres of space who laid it onto Pogba who got his shot wrong. All that happened due to Rashford trying to make something happen rather than play an easy pass because he was surrounded
A ricochet? Ok then you’re definitely right. Solid creativity there. Im wrong to want more clear cut creativity from our wingers?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The thread is very weird — are people suppose to praise every performance of a player based on his stature at the club, personal achievements etc.? The comments that you've quoted are hardly harsh — he had a very poor game that was somehow compensated by the goal, and he also have been quite poor in terms of the actual workrate on the pitch for quite a while (although it looks like it's more of a fitness issue rather than something to do with his attitude).

The legend comment and the comparison to George Best are, well, laughable at best.

On the other hand, if someone is seriously considering getting rid of him (which I haven't really seen on here, at least not en masse), they have a very weird understanding of today's market, our club's needs and Rashford's level (current & potential). He's not world class yet (although he was close to reaching it before he got injured last season) and he could certainly perform better than he does now, but he's certainly one of our most important and valuable assets and someone to build a team around alongside Bruno and, hopefully, Greenwood.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
His off the field activism isn't being conflate with on the pitch stuff. He's at 19 goals and 10 assists this season as our left winger. Last season had 23 goals. He's a ridiculously productive player and an excellent left winger in general, someone who will put his body on the line to help out. Combine his actual level of performance every year with being an academy product, he straight up will not ever be replaced from his role in the team. Hoping we sign someone to replace him is a waste of time. Add in the activism and how reputable he is, and well, Rashford is the face of this club. An academy product who plays an exciting style, shows up in big games, and scores and creates loads of goals but on top of all that is a role model off the pitch.

It's one thing saying he needs to be subbed, of course, every player goes through that. But let's be realistic and not waste our time over his long term spot as our left winger, as that spot is his locked in, and deservedly so. Shaw, Maguire, Bruno and Rashford are pretty much untouchable. The rest you can argue for. But these 4 won't be touched in terms of starting 11 spots barring rest and standard rotation.
Who is hoping we sign someone to replace him? I don’t think anyone here is advocating that we look for a LW to replace him this summer. Competition, real competition, would help him, though.

Again, stop the conflation, such a sentiment doesn’t exist within this forum.

It’s great that he is as altruistic as he is off the pitch. It’s great that he is an academy lad. But these two things cause Rashford to be seen as infallible & unstoppable by so many on here & in the real world when a more critical eye should be cast over him, regardless the MBE or being from the academy.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Hmm the issue I think is partly because some people don't seem to know where to place him. He's obviously a quality player who excels at scoring and is a decent dribbler but who has rather poor decision-making and isn't the best at passing or heading. There's no harm in this but thinking he's the absolute full package is going to lead to constant disappointment.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
A ricochet? Ok then you’re definitely right. Solid creativity there. Im wrong to want more clear cut creativity from our wingers?
well if that's what you took from my post then it explains a lot

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He isn't already a legend ffs. He wasn't even undisputed first choice until last season. Over the top rating him like that is just as ridiculous as those who try to say he's terrible or doesn't have any technique.

In his career so far he has had one period of about three months where he played at true world-class level. Unfortunately the back injury last season put an end to that and he hasn't gotten close to that level since. Trying to say that he's been great or fantastic this season is almost insulting how good he actually was playing in those months before the injury. That level was great and fantastic.

This season his general performance has been consistently quite poor, but he has still managed to score and assist at a good rate. Being able to have that impact when you aren't playing well is a great attribute in it's own right (the likes of Martial and Greenwood have shown they haven't got that ability this season), but it doesn't mean that you are actually playing particularly well. Take it as it is - a still fairly young player being able to have a significant impact even when he's not playing well, and imagine what that means when he actually does get back into the kind of form he was showing before the injury (something that I hope we will see again once he actually gets a proper break eventually).

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I do wonder how players like Giggs or Scholes would be criticised if they played in the modern era. Were they on it every week, or did they have games where they were largely shite but bang in a screamer to win the game? Or beat the entire Arsenal midfield and defence to send us to Wembley? They can’t have played well all the time surely. I think Giggs once went 4 years without a goal at Old Trafford. If Twitter was around then we’d be calling Fergie clueless and demanding he be sold to Inter Milan and replaced by Solari or something. In fact, isn’t that where the ‘sack Fergie, sell Giggs’ meme originated?

Time will remember Rashford far more fondly than the idiots slagging him off in the heat of the moment when he gives the ball away. Just look at Rooney, and he’s only been gone 3 years.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
well if that's what you took from my post then it explains a lot
I think your eagerness to defend Rashford is admirable but I think you’re attacking the wrong poster. Maybe read some of my other posts on rashford. He’s a very important player for us but he’s super predictable and at times frustrating. Nothing wrong with saying it

Last edited:

Dinghy

Fantastic player when there's some space, average by United-standards when teams sit back. We just need a different type of player (Sancho) on the right that can do things in tight areas and we'll look far better, and it will take some burden off Rashford's shoulders as well as of right now everything we do going forward is through him or Bruno.

FattyFooty

I see your point and all, but then you go write Legend along with the likes of Best and so on.

Can't we just have a normal discussion about our players?

He's not a shit player that's pretty clear. But he isn't one of the best United players of all time either.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Every player at every club gets shit at some point. Some more than others. Why should rashford be any different? If hes playing like shit, he'll get called on it. If hes playing great, he'll get the plaudits for that. This is an internet forum where people talk about performances. It doesnt matter what else hes done, or when else hes done it. Its not like its twitter where he get racially abused all the time for going to shops with mum in a top of the range ford focus. If you really want to take issue with how truly disgusting some people are treating him, mosey on over to the tweet palace and give those knobs an piece of your mind.