The treatment on here of Marcus Rashford

Doracle

I won’t name them but I looked at one of the posters who has been active on this thread as an example. These were all the negative comments they made about our players during the Brighton match. 13 negative comments, all about the same player - one who has contributed to 30 odd goals this season. It’s truly bizarre and shows why this sort of thread is necessary.

Is Rashford rusty now? Will that be the new excuse?

It’s utterly baffling how anyone could think otherwise. (agreeing with a comment that Rashford has woeful intelligence and “bang average” finishing)

This has been an issue for years. Speaks equally to his lack of footballing intellect as to our poor coaching.

One could argue that was an intelligent decision. (referring to a comment that Greenwood hadn’t passed to Rashford)

That’s the problem, he most certainly doesn’t have everything to be brilliant. That’s looking through tinted glasses.
And makes people forget just how low his average floor is.

feck it. Drop Rashford & Greenwood, insert James & Amad.

His free kicks are not that great. How can you say he has good dribbling? The physicality he does well, yet his stupidity on the ball completely negates his physical skill. His movement is non existent. As someone said, he is overrated.

James should replace Rashford.

How can anyone say dribbling is one of Rashford’s assets?

Academy lad. Or something.

Right now I don’t think he is more creative than James in the left. At least James would be more mobile.

He finished a one touch goal, a good finish, no doubt. He has been abysmal otherwise. You can’t see this?

Typical recent performance, a goal papers over a shit performance. 4 or 5 / 10. That’s how he should be playing for the remainder of the season, get the ball out of his feet & put him in positions where a one touch shot is on.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
For some context, if he took and scored our penalties this season as Bruno has, he would have 18 premier league goals.

This would put him one behind Harry Kane who is top scorer in the league.

Damon1559

Rashford is a good player, sometimes great with the potential of being world class. He has areas of his game that can be improved upon, like every player but he has age on his side and I'm confident that he will edge closer to that world class status over the next few seasons.

romufc

Not bad to have a championship standard player scoring us 19 goals and 12 assists is it.

Everyone raves on about how good Son and Kane are yet Rashy has more goals than Son.

We need to start appreciated Rashford a bit more.

"Absolutely horrific performance"
"Great goal but he was shit tonight"
"His allround game needs polishing if we want to win leagues and champions leagues"
What's wrong with any of these comments?

His goal was a great finish, but outside that he was very poor and has been for a while. Just because he's a Manchester lad doesn't mean we have to ignore his poor games.

Personally I get frustrated because he's runs himself into trouble so often and wastes chances. I don't know if he's greedy or just doesn't look up, but he needs to improve that aspect of his game more than anything and he hasn't really made much progress on it since becoming a regular starter.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
"Cult".

Btw this genius said Bale was a better footballers than Rashford last year and other pearlers from June 2020.
Bale at his peak is a better footballer than rashford at his peak. His commitment to football is obviously not what it was but his trophy haul and contributions to those trophies speak for themselves. Aren't you a mod? Pathetic

Last edited:

Spaghetti

Mom's
Does it surprise you?! Reading on here you’d think we were in Sheffield United’s position.

For individual players:
- limited, only does sideways passes, or
- gives the ball away too much trying difficult things

Either way, according to Red Café, all United players are terrible and all opposition players are fantastic.

stepic

Not bad to have a championship standard player scoring us 19 goals and 12 assists is it.

Everyone raves on about how good Son and Kane are yet Rashy has more goals than Son.

if we had Kane playing for us, Rashford would score a lot less. i mean, who is competing for goals with Rashford at United? we have no real quality striker in the team, and no right wing. Rashford's stats look good because he's our best attacker outside of Bruno, but that says more about the state of our attack than a true testament to Rashford's quality.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
if we had Kane playing for us, Rashford would score a lot less. i mean, who is competing for goals with Rashford at United? we have no real quality striker in the team, and no right wing. Rashford's stats look good because he's our best attacker outside of Bruno, but that says more about the state of our attack than a true testament to Rashford's quality.
If we are talking about Ronaldo, Haaland, then yes but not with players like Kane. Kane is brilliant at dropping deep, linking the play and feed wide players with superb passes.

MrBest

Rashford has had a bad season by the standards he has set and based on his ability. I think this is down to the fact he has not had a chance to fully recover from any injury he has sustained in the last 14 months. He is 23 years, has the weight of the world on his shoulders, his career to date should be massively appreciated.

He needs a break from football, but with games coming fast, he is always going to be involved. Euros is around the corner too, and he will most likely play a key role in that, if not injured. My only hope is he has the first 4 weeks of the next season off, to recover. He has played a shed load of games since he burst on to the scenes, 250 plus, averaging 50 games a season in the last 5 years.

The next 2 or 3 years will be pivotal of how he career pans out, we need to nurture him or we face a Rooney or Owen scenario where he falls off a cliff having been overplayed and never allowed to fully recover. The criticism for this season is right but not fair. I have been frustrated with him, but he always looks unfit or injured, it's out of his control.

cyberman

With a potential 13 games to go he could have elite numbers if he catches a bit of form.

Hughie77

You cant please everyone, Rashford is a very good player, that's still only 23, there is a lot put on him to perform in every game, hes carrying injuries this season and hes been up and down in form. Also he cuts back on to his right foot all the time, he can be easy to read, if he could use his left foot more to cross, defenders would find it harder .

Rooney24

The expectation on him is far too high.

I think hes a great player and often actually think we are not the same team without him. As others have stated its clear he is carrying an injury and needs to get it sorted.

Its trendy to shit on him I guess. A lad I know was even giving him shit during the first game against Leipzig when he was on the bench ffs. He didnt peep up too much when he came on and scored a hat trick.

acnumber9

Anyone watching him yesterday saw no off the ball movement of note. Anyone watching him over the past four months has seen no appreciable off the ball movement, especially against low block teams.
Anyone watching him should know there’s different kinds of movements. Movement around and in the penalty box is poor. His movement outside the box is great. That’s why he gets in behind much more often than our other forwards.

Andersons Dietician

I don’t think he’s treated harsher than any other player to be honest. Just the same scenario, every player has fans who think they are untouchable or beyond criticism. There will also be fans that just can’t stand an individual and will find any reason to criticize no matter how mundane it is.

To me he’s a player with enormous talent but I wouldn’t say he‘s blown me away this season or had that good of a season at all really. People will point to his goal tally and assists but that’s only half a story. I think there is room for massive improvement with him and some of the things are really slight and easy adjustments to what he does.

Should add throughout the season the team hasn’t really played that well as an entire unit. Be that down to the times we find ourselves in or instructions just not working out who knows but I think most players should probably get some leinancy this season and we really see where the team is at next year.

Would be great for Ole to just have an uninterrupted summer without tournaments and crap so we can see where these guys are truly at.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Bale at his peak is a better footballer than rashford at his peak. His commitment to football is obviously not what it was but his trophy haul and contributions to those trophies speak for themselves. Aren't you a mod? Pathetic
How does peak here matter? In 2020, he wasn't a better footballer than Rashford.

You seem to dish it out but can't take it, labelled people defending here a cult, but when somebody posted your quotes, it's suddenly pathetic.

romufc

And how have you come to that conclusion? I mean Kane has 13 PL assists and most of them are for Son who plays LW, so how would Rashford score less?

In fact with Kane he would score more because he'll have Kane and Bruno both able to make the passes.

So having a poor attack, a Winger getting 19 goals in a poor attack but he's not all that?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
How does peak here matter? In 2020, he wasn't a better footballer than Rashford.

You seem to dish it out but can't take it, labelled people defending here a cult, but when somebody posted your quotes, it's suddenly pathetic.
Take what? I was wrong about Bale. I didn't predict he would fall off a cliff and become a part time golfer. I find you searching for random quotes in the past pathetic and some of the posts in this thread culty. I think Rashford is on the whole treated very generously. Like i said with my first post in this thread apart from Bruno he is literally our most praised player. It is what it is, this topic is boring now. It's been rehashed to death. For anybody interested in the most comprehensive and fair view of marcus rashford by united fans go read his player performance thread.

El Jefe

I don’t think he’s treated harsher than any other player to be honest. Just the same scenario, every player has fans who think they are untouchable or beyond criticism. There will also be fans that just can’t stand an individual and will find any reason to criticize no matter how mundane it is.

To me he’s a player with enormous talent but I wouldn’t say he‘s blown me away this season or had that good of a season at all really. People will point to his goal tally and assists but that’s only half a story. I think there is room for massive improvement with him and some of the things are really slight and easy adjustments to what he does.

Should add throughout the season the team hasn’t really played that well as an entire unit. Be that down to the times we find ourselves in or instructions just not working out who knows but I think most players should probably get some leinancy this season and we really see where the team is at next year.

Would be great for Ole to just have an uninterrupted summer without tournaments and crap so we can see where these guys are truly at.
This is it honestly, especially the bolded bit. It's great that Rashford can still contribute in games like yesterday or vs Wolves at OT, but he's had too many bad performances this season IMO. While his numbers are very good, it's a bit tiresome hearing them being brought up as a way of justifying the performances. Numbers are part of the assessment but general performances are extremely important too and Rashford is struggling with the latter.

Rooney had 34 goals and 7 assists in 2009/10 and had 34 goals and 9 assists in 2011/12. I think anyone that watched either of these seasons knows that Rooney was far better in 09/10. This is my issue with assessment via stats (G+A specifically) as it provides no context on general performance.

Djemba-Djemba

The only thing he absolutely needs to work on his heading.

Yes his decision making can be bad sometimes but the only real major flaw in his game is his heading I think.

Doracle

The only thing he absolutely needs to work on his heading.

Yes his decision making can be bad sometimes but the only real major flaw in his game is his heading I think.
Bearing in mind that he has an injured shoulder, I doubt that he is doing much, if any, heading training. Frankly, I really just hope he can be persuaded to take the summer off and get himself fully fit. Our lack of any other forwards who can supply anything like his numbers (making the fact this thread is required even more astonishing) is causing Ole to run him into the ground and he clearly needs a decent rest.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
It's a cult like response to reasonable points you've made. Don't take it to heart. It's just a matter of standards. We are comparing Rashford to what he could be, these fanatics look at goal and assist numbers and that's all they need.
we dominate possession in every game and we are heavy favourites in 90% of the matches we play. Our squad is deeper and worth far more than most we encounter. Rashford is often our most advanced player and is certainly our lowest when it comes to pressing and defensive output and probably our highest in chances missed/dangerous moves broken down/lack of movement into more dangerous areas. Would you not expect someone who stays forward and doesn’t really defend to be getting those decent numbers in a top team? I would. It’s not really world class. He might look world class if he got some good play going with the other forwards the odd time? He’s had a decent season and he looks like if he gets fit and motivated then we can start talking but it’s the same thing with Greenwood. A few goals and the same heads start going HES WORLD CLASS AND A LEGEND FECK EVERYONE WHO DOESNT AGREE :lol: it’s just so culty. Support the players by all means but it really doesn’t hurt to be objective. Where we are right now: he’s our leading scorer and most important forward but we are winning feck all.

Last edited:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Remember how awesome Robben was? He never got near to half the goals/assists that Rashford has been contributing.

Rashford's output is simply awesome. Especially for a wide forward.

He's not even taking penalties anymore.

Our problem is that no one is scoring goals up front, no one is scoring goals from the right and so for some reason the one player actually scoring across the front 3 gets questioned.

If Sancho comes and actually contributes, we'll be a totally different proposition.

Fridge chutney

HES WORLD CLASS AND A LEGEND FECK EVERYONE WHO DOESNT AGREE :lol: it’s just so culty.
Yeah, if you make stuff up to sound culty, then it's gonna sound culty.

But very few people, possibly no one, is saying what you claim. Strawman if I've ever seen it.

OrcaFat

Agree. And his 2021 performances have been really, really shit.

We can debate about the vernacular all day long, but it doesn’t improve his 2021 performances. So many get hung up on emotive words.
It’s not about how emotive the words are it’s about whether they are usefully descriptive. The problem being that if you describe Rashford as really really shit, what words do you use to describe someone who really is shit?

Doracle

Remember how awesome Robben was? He never got near to half the goals/assists that Rashford has been contributing.

Rashford's output is simply awesome. Especially for a wide forward.

He's not even taking penalties anymore.

Our problem is that no one is scoring goals up front, no one is scoring goals from the right and so for some reason the one player actually scoring across the front 3 gets questioned.

If Sancho comes and actually contributes, we'll be a totally different proposition.
Given that he’s our most selfish forward (according to many on here) then surely it makes sense he has the most goals. Oddly though, he also has more assists than our other forwards - 9/10 depending on source compared to 11 combined for Martial/Cavani/Greenwood. He’s basically a one man attack force for us this season despite the fact most of us acknowledge he’s not actually been at his best!

If we had Sancho one side and the Martial of last season with Mason/Cavani as back up then we would have a balanced attack and might (a) give Marcus more space and (b) allow him to have a rest every now and then!

Maticmaker

Rashford is a match winner/game changer when he's 'at it' he can rank with some of our greatest players, but at the moment I suspect he is not 'always at it' because he is I believe carrying one, or maybe two injuries, and every time Ole sends him out they are taking a risk, in that sense with his long term future.

I don't know how many on here are old enough and can remember watching the greatest player I've ever seen George Best. He was the match winner/gamechanger extraordinaire, but he wasn't 'at it' for a full 90 minutes. George would have a ten minute or fifteen minute spell sometime in a game or maybe sometime in each half and during those periods he was unplayable for the opposition; he often scored himself or made goals for others that effectively won the game. Rashford can do that, he may not have all the silky skills of Best, but his impact in what is now a much faster game, can rank with that of George's.

One run and one finish from Rashford the other night rescued us, not only equalised but it give us the confidence to go looking for the winner in a game we had for long periods looked like losing.

I can remember watching Best (from the Old Trafford Paddock) and getting really p**d off, with him apparently fiddling and diddling about doing nothing...then all of a sudden he'd turn it on and Whoosh!

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
we dominate possession in every game and we are heavy favourites in 90% of the matches we play. Our squad is deeper and worth far more than most we encounter. Rashford is often our most advanced player and is certainly our lowest when it comes to pressing and defensive output and probably our highest in chances missed/dangerous moves broken down/lack of movement into more dangerous areas. Would you not expect someone who stays forward and doesn’t really defend to be getting those decent numbers in a top team? I would. It’s not really world class. He might look world class if he got some good play going with the other forwards the odd time? He’s had a decent season and he looks like if he gets fit and motivated then we can start talking but it’s the same thing with Greenwood. A few goals and the same heads start going HES WORLD CLASS AND A LEGEND FECK EVERYONE WHO DOESNT AGREE :lol: it’s just so culty. Support the players by all means but it really doesn’t hurt to be objective. Where we are right now: he’s our leading scorer and most important forward but we are winning feck all.
Exactly this. Also it's not like our other attacking players aren't being criticized. Martial is probably the most scrutinized player here, James gets plenty of shit, Greenwood was getting shit before doing well recently and Cavani gets shit as well. It's part of being a manchester united player. More fans, more opinions. Nobody is saying he is shit or sell him.

Ali Dia

Yeah, if you make stuff up to sound culty, then it's gonna sound culty.

But very few people, possibly no one, is saying what you claim. Strawman if I've ever seen it.
Nobody on here has said that Rashford is world class? I’m afraid you’re wrong. We had someone comparing him to George Best not so long ago and saying feck anyone who ever doubted him. Another poster was comparing McT to Steven Gerrard too after the Leeds game. Just be somewhat objective that’s all I ask. I like Rashford a lot but he is not and has never been world class. He has done some amazing stuff and he’s an important player for us but that doesn’t make him world class. If he can find consistency and fitness and maybe even pass the odd time then who knows what level he’ll end up hitting but he hasn’t hit it yet. Being the least of our worries is fine but we are still only in second place.

Last edited:

Doracle

I never get why people get really upset by labels like “world class”. There is no defined meaning to that phrase. Does it mean top 2 in the world, top 5, top 10, top 20? Who knows. Depending on what scale you are adopting, it’s quite easy to justify an argument that the LW for Man Utd and England is probably world class. It’s far harder to justify describing him as trash, abysmal and the various other phrases we routinely see bandied about day to day.

It’s also fair to say that if our CF and RW has each contributed 29 GA then we wouldn’t be second in the league or out of the UCL, so I’m struggling to see the relevance of the fact we are 2nd to judging Rashford’s own performance.

Last edited:

Fridge chutney

I feel I need to state that I was quoting some comments from the match thread as it now looks like I have some bizarre wish to drop one of our best players!
I know, I was laughing at the comment content. Especially since Greenwood ended up getting MoM and scored the winner, with Rashford equalizing.

Fridge chutney

Nobody on here has said that Rashford is world class? I’m afraid you’re wrong. We had someone comparing him to George Best not so long ago and saying feck anyone who ever doubted him. Another poster was comparing McT to Steven Gerrard too after the Leeds game. Just be somewhat objective that’s all I ask. I like Rashford a lot but he is not and has never been world class. He has done some amazing stuff and he’s an important player for us but that doesn’t make him world class. If he can find consistency and fitness and maybe even pass the odd time then who knows what level he’ll end up hitting but he hasn’t hit it yet. Being the least of our worries is fine but we are still only in second place.
Yes, one person said he was on par with Best. But it's not a common theme coming from our fanbase. And how does Best at 23 compare to Rashford? I don't know, but it would be an interesting analysis.

Also worth noting that Rashford has 7 assists this season, more than any other player in our squad except for Bruno, so he can clearly pass, and pass effectively.

I agree with the bolded though. It would almost be a blessing for him to miss the Euros (even though i don't want him to), because he clearly needs a break and to sort out some medium-term issues like back/shoulder.

simplyared

It was me who mentioned George Best my friend. If you want to refer to one of my posts then do it correctly.

I know how good Best was. I was at OT on his debut and saw him from the stands during the golden years. I wouldn't even attempt to compare any utd player with him. I also remember the fans screaming at him (which is my point) for taking on 2 players too many and losing possession, instead of passing.

Rashford isn't going to be another Best but like so many good attacking players he loses possession trying to do too much. It's part of his development and is a strength not a weakness.

Ali Dia

Good replies lads. I can see the potential with him is enormous. I’m enjoying seeing him develop but he’s still frustrating and improving and there’s nothing wrong with taking about why that is. @simplyared i had no idea you were comparing him to best but I do know you from the Fred thread. To be honest I thought it was that goldtrafford fella and a few others going for it with the comparisons but it’s all a bit premature. Best is a super high bar. Hopefully Rashford can help us win it all during his career but for now i would like to see him rotated and rested a lot more until he’s totally fit again at least. I think we might see Hannibal coming on for Rashford at some point this season.