The treatment on here of Marcus Rashford

Dansk

Here are some of the comments in the Player Performanc thread after last nights game:
"Absolutely horrific performance"
"Great goal but he was shit tonight"
"His allround game needs polishing if we want to win leagues and champions leagues"
Those are some pretty mild comments. If that sort of stuff shouldn't be allowed, we might as well make a rule that says it's forbidden to criticize players at all. If a completely benign remark like "his allround game needs polishing" gets your blood boiling, you're the one who's wrong. Get a grip. Noone should want this place to be an echo chamber of false positivity. Rashford has been underperforming for months on end, and it's absolutely fair to say so.

I for one am tired of this thinly-veiled "I'm a better fan than yous because I never say anything negative" type of nonsense.

SirScholes

Remember how awesome Robben was? He never got near to half the goals/assists that Rashford has been contributing.

Rashford's output is simply awesome. Especially for a wide forward.

He's not even taking penalties anymore.

Our problem is that no one is scoring goals up front, no one is scoring goals from the right and so for some reason the one player actually scoring across the front 3 gets questioned.

If Sancho comes and actually contributes, we'll be a totally different proposition.
He’s not close to robben like
Good player but not a true winger, more a failed striker / winger so will never truly dominate for me

AgentSmith

Yeah, I just come online to taint the image of Marcus Rashford with fake stories. Just because I won't tell some guy on RedCafe, doesn't make it not real.
Yeah I was only messing, didn’t mean anything by it. Not a lot to say in response if you won’t spill the beans.

Fridge chutney

Yeah, I just come online to taint the image of Marcus Rashford with fake stories. Just because I won't tell some guy on RedCafe, doesn't make it not real.
Well, that's exactly what you're doing.

He does an immense amount for different communities within Manchester and the UK, so being coy about Rashford "not being a nice person" is bizarre behaviour, in my opinion.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Well, that's exactly what you're doing.

He does an immense amount for different communities within Manchester and the UK, so being coy about Rashford "not being a nice person" is bizarre behaviour, in my opinion.
He does a lot for charity and communities, as do many people. Doing that doesn't make them "very nice human beings", especially when they don't act like that when out of the public eye. Perhaps they simply enjoy the limelight that fighting for causes and funding charities brings (not implying that is Rashfords motive).

I don't feel the need to have to like a United player as a person or pretend they're great human beings when I don't know them. All I said is that I heard different. Half the scousers would tell you Gerrard was a great human being, most of us would laugh. Who gives a shit?

RedDevilzFox

I'm saying nothing. Don't want to get people into trouble :lol:
That smells like one of those 'I heard it from a friend who heard from a friend' BS. I've done plenty to highlight Rashford's shortcomings in this thread but lets not go around spreading nonsense. Rashford is also only human and every human is prone to anger and irritation by fans or people in general, that's assuming you heard anything at all. Unless your name is Dalai Lama, that doesn't make anyone a bad human being.

snk123

Sometimes I wonder if people actually watch the match or just look at the stats and judge players? Rashford's biggest problem is his decision making whether the deluded fans like it or not. English players are not absolved of criticism.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

He does a lot for charity and communities, as do many people. Doing that doesn't make them "very nice human beings", especially when they don't act like that when out of the public eye. Perhaps they simply enjoy the limelight that fighting for causes and funding charities brings (not implying that is Rashfords motive).

I don't feel the need to have to like a United player as a person or pretend they're great human beings when I don't know them. All I said is that I heard different. Half the scousers would tell you Gerrard was a great human being, most of us would laugh. Who gives a shit?
First thing Rashford did when he earned a wage was buy his mum a house. Thats all I need to know about him. Could not care less if he told punters to piss off :lol:

Acquire Me

Have you met him? I've heard the opposite.
No, but I like what I know and in my books his a good guy.

I guess he can be a dick as anyone who is young and high on life. My guess is that you heard something in that regard.

Swiss_Red89

I've no problems when he gets rational critisism after his performances. I can understand why he gets them, as he still can be inconsistent and frustrating during matches. The problem for me is, there is a lot of hyperbole around him when he doesn't perform that good. He can have a decent game, but one bad decision can make his performance "terrible", especially when he doesn't score or assists. Than you can bet you will see comments "he was abmysal" "absolutely dreadful" "our worst player" and so on, when he wasn't even that bad.

I feel there are fans in here who simply don't like him and are waiting for every opportunity to jump on his back. This is what i really don't understand. How can you support ManUtd and "hate" a player who represents this club perfectly and is producing regularly.

Again, rational critisism is totally okay and is needed on a internet forum, otherwise this would be a boring place. But the slack Rashford gets in here is over the top imo.

Last edited:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Bruno 23 goals
Rashford 19 goals

(Huge gap)

Cavani n Martial 7 each.

And let's not forget that there's a very good chance that Rashford has played with a bad injury for most of the season. He clearly doesn't look right.

Our fans need to get a grip. Without Bruno n Rashford we'd be where Arsenal are.

RedDevilzFox

I've no problems when he gets rational critisism after his performances. I can understand why he gets them, as he still can be inconsistent and frustrating during matches. The problem for me is, there is a lot of hyperbole around him when he doesn't perform that good. He can have a decent game, but one bad decision can make his performance "terrible", especially when he doesn't score or assists. Than you can bet you will see comments "he was abmysal" "absolutely dreadful" "our worst player" and so on, when he even wasn't that bad.

I feel there are fans in here who simply don't like him and are waiting for every opportunity to jump on his back. This is what i really don't understand. How can you support ManUtd and "hate" a player who represents this club perfectly and is producing regularly.

Again, rational critisism is totally okay and is needed on a internet forum, otherwise this would be a boring place. But the slack Rashford gets in here is over the top imo.
Its a problem with both sides. People that praise him go over the top with epithets like "legend" and "world class". People that criticize also go over the top with "failed striker" bit. So it all depends what you are reading on a given day. Truth is somewhere in the middle. He is not terrible but also not world class. He's got 19 goals this season which is not terrible output, but only 10 of them in the league which is fairly mediocre IMO. So, again, fairly 5.5/10 overall, at least for me.

Swiss_Red89

Its a problem with both sides. People that praise him go over the top with epithets like "legend" and "world class". People that criticize also go over the top with "failed striker" bit. So it all depends what you are reading on a given day. Truth is somewhere in the middle. He is not terrible but also not world class. He's got 19 goals this season which is not terrible output, but only 10 of them in the league which is fairly mediocre IMO. So, again, fairly 5.5/10 overall, at least for me.
Agree to some extend. Claims that he is already a club legend or comparable to Best, Charlton etc. are equally over the top. He certainly has the tools to become a legend, but he isn't yet and no one in here can predict the future, we simply don't know how it will turn out.

I just wish he would get more support from the fanbase in trying to do so, it's too toxic imo. I don't even want to start with the comments on social media he receives sometimes, i had to stop reading them at some point because it really made me angry and sad.

What's clear: he somehow divides the fanbase a bit. It will be interesting to see how the match going fans will react to him as soon as they are back. I imagine the "Rashford is red" chant being very popular, but we will see.(hopefully soon).

Last edited:

RashyForPM

5.5 out of 10 heavens to betsy
At least 7.5. 5.5 is a VdB season, and you have people saying the man with 30 goal contributions this season is a 5.5. There’s a reason we are begging him to play through injury, as we have probably wrongly done for two years. No option though, he’s far better than anyone else we can play at LW (Martial, James).

Fridge chutney

I mean, I'll base my opinion on him on what he's actually done, rather than random speculation from an anonymous internet person. The reductionist argument in relation to his charity work and comparison to Stephen Gerrard are very disingenuous, I'll leave it at that.

Doracle

At least 7.5. 5.5 is a VdB season, and you have people saying the man with 30 goal contributions this season is a 5.5. There’s a reason we are begging him to play through injury, as we have probably wrongly done for two years. No option though, he’s far better than anyone else we can play at LW (Martial, James).
In fairness, it’s understandable why someone who regards 30 GA as “not terrible” and 17 league GA from LW as “mediocre” and “5.5/10” would think people were overrating him.

tjb

Rashford has a good output, but let's be honest, at the start of last season, he was far more effective and offered far more than he has since the initial back injury. He rarely drives at opponents anymore, and when you consider that he's supposed to be a key attacking creative element, he doesn't do enough to be considered one of our top players. Which is ok. The problem we have is that we need other attackers that provide more or similar to what he does. Rashford should also not have a guaranteed starting spot given his inconsistencies, but we don't even have a right winger talk less of depth.

FCAES_7

Rashford in my opinion is arguably the best English player with Kane, United's best player, and is still 23. His prime is still ahead of him. I hope when he retires at 36years old playing his whole career for Manchester United he breaks all records available. He came from the youth academy that's why he gets so much abuse if he was from Dortmund we will be running around offering 100M+ for him. I won't swap with any player in the league.

RashyForPM

In fairness, it’s understandable why someone who regards 30 GA as “not terrible” and 17 league GA from LW as “mediocre” and “5.5/10” would think people were overrating him.
Yeah, but Messi’s 91 goals in 2012 was also not terrible. Cavani getting 6 PL goals this season is also not terrible. Point is, Rashford has been much better than ‘not terrible’ or ‘mediocre’ this season. Put it this way, with Martial’s laziness or Dan James not being able to control the ball on the left instead of Marcus, we’d be in a top 4 battle, like last season.

Last edited:

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Yeah, but Messi’s 91 goal in 2012 were also not terrible. Cavani getting 6 PL goals this season is also not terrible. Point is, Rashford has been much better than ‘not terrible’ or ‘mediocre’ this season. Put it this way, with Martial’s laziness or Dan James not being able to control the ball on the left instead of Marcus, we’d be in a top 4 battle, like last season.
Or worse

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Despite carrying a well publicised injury through most of the season, he's going to finish with 20+ goals and 10+ assists playing from a wide position, without taking penalties. And he's been scoring important goals against tough opposition, not like he's stat padding in easy games

I've never seen a player who some fans are just so determined to hate no matter what
This is how I see it.

CasaStreets

I've not been his biggest fan at times but even I must admit Rashford is a treasure. One of our few players you could look at and say could start week-in and week-out for a United side capable of winning the PL or CL in the years to come.

His goal involvements per 90min this season are above Sterling, Mahrez, and a shade below KdB (in fact higher if you exclude KdB's 2 pens). All that whilst regularly playing injured and for a much weaker side than City this season. He is among, if not the single best counter-attacking player in the PL. In the 18-19 season, he averaged .57 goal involvements per 90, last season it was .88 per 90, this season .82 per 90 - similar productivity in what the Caf deems a "poor season" for him.

He can certainly keep improving, particularly by dribbling a little less against the low block and moving the ball faster in possession, but he's already a fantastic player who continues to grow. My biggest hope is not that he changes dramatically as a player, but rather that he's given ample time to recover from his injuries so he can have the long, productive career he deserves here.

el3mel

Wait, people really care about the rating here? It means literally nothing. See the rating in older seasons. In 2017/2018 our highest rated player was De Gea with 6.8 average rate even though he put on a legit 9/10 season easily. In 2014/2015 he was also our best player by a country mile and his average rating here was only 6.6 and this was the highest average rating this season as well so imagine the rest.

The average rating will always be far lower than the player's deserved rating here. I myself after a shit game and having a bad mood I just splash 1s, 2s and 3s on players. Pretty sure many people do so as well, and this screws the rating.

RashyForPM

Wait, people really care about the rating here? It means literally nothing. See the rating in older seasons. In 2017/2018 our highest rated player was De Gea with 6.8 average rate even though he put on a legit 9/10 season easily. In 2014/2015 he was also our best player by a country mile and his average rating here was only 6.6 and this was the highest average rating this season as well so imagine the rest.

The average rating will always be far lower than the player's deserved rating here. I myself after a shit game and having a bad mood I just splash 1s, 2s and 3s on players. Pretty sure many people do so as well, and this screws the rating.
Clear misunderstanding. I was replying to the guy who said he thought Rashford was having a 5.5 season, not the Caf average ratings.

el3mel

Clear misunderstanding. I was replying to the guy who said he thought Rashford was having a 5.5 season, not the Caf average ratings.
Oh OK. Sorry about that. In fairness though Rashford actually has a 5.7 average rating here so my post can be viewed as a general take on it. :lol:

RashyForPM

Oh OK. Sorry about that. In fairness though Rashford actually has a 5.7 average rating here so my post can be viewed as a general take on it. :lol:
That’s a ridiculous rating. Having said that, the average Caf rating for Bruno is 6.4, and mine is 6.3. Don’t think my ratings for Rashford look much better, and I can’t defend him enough :lol:

Ratings are definitely skewed by many of us raging after losses, that is true.

Rooney1987

Well coming online to say you’ve heard he’s not very nice, to not say why and when questioned say well that doesn’t make it not true, isn’t a great argument.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Some people are just moaners and need to highly observe and investigate every player they can at their disposal.

Rashford has great numbers and numbers that has actually led us to winning important matches. One of the top 3 players at the club right now and that is with an obvious injury/need of a break/rotation. When Martial or James plays on the LW you can see the highly difference in quality of what we produce as a result or team.

So many players that people will salivate over at other clubs but run over when its ours.

I personally wouldn't swap Rashford for a player like Mane whatsoever - a less tactically coached team and has been putting similar/better numbers whilst being 5/6 years younger.

https://www.unitedinfocus.com/news/marcus-rashford-is-outperforming-sadio-mane-this-season/

RedDevilzFox

Maybe 5.5 is a bit harsh, but he is no more than a 6.5 for me. 10 league goals is nothing to sneeze at but its also nothing to write home about. IMO both him and Martial hide behind 'they are not a striker but a wide player' narrative. Neither of them are capable of providing 25 league goals a season, which is IMO what you need to win the PL (generally speaking). So for a wide player I think he is doing well. But his game still has a lot of holes and improvements are needed.

And DVDB is more like 2-2.5 for me. I have no idea how anyone can give him 5.5. Guy's barely played and when he has been anonymous.

GueRed

The hate on here and social media is imo because :

He's black. Easy target for the racist scumbags.

He's English. Xenophobia is rife in our fanbase. All the english players here gets a raw deal. (Maguire, Shaw, Rooney, Smalling, Young etc down the last few years)

He's an academy graduate. Taken for granted and again easy target for our fanbase to vent their frustrations.