The treatment on here of Marcus Rashford

Mike Smalling

He's English. Xenophobia is rife in our fanbase. All the english players here gets a raw deal. (Maguire, Shaw, Rooney, Smalling, Young etc down the last few years)
Assuming that most posters on here are English, isn't that the exact opposite of xenophobia?

Maticmaker

We had someone comparing him to George Best
I compared him to Best in so much as he can be a match winner/gamechanger, not in terms of overall ability, nobody in my opinion matches Best in that respect, but in terms of impact on a game, he can be lethal. As someone else on here also said, Rashford does like Best did, he keeps trying things, but can drive you mad at times, taking on too much, or trying something too difficult, but then he does something that does come off, perhaps only one thing and it changes the game.

I'm saying nothing. Don't want to get people into trouble :lol:
pathetic poster.

The hate on here and social media is imo because :

He's black. Easy target for the racist scumbags.

He's English. Xenophobia is rife in our fanbase. All the english players here gets a raw deal. (Maguire, Shaw, Rooney, Smalling, Young etc down the last few years)

He's an academy graduate. Taken for granted and again easy target for our fanbase to vent their frustrations.
theres an undercurrent of this on the forum.

Assuming that most posters on here are English, isn't that the exact opposite of xenophobia?
it’s clearly not all posters.

But there’s a bizarre backlash against our young players who come through the academy. Some of it I think it’s plain impatience, but I do think many posters don’t understand the history of the academy, and don’t understand why it’s important to have young players come through into the first team, and the majority of those young players have been English.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

He's an academy graduate. Taken for granted and again easy target for our fanbase to vent their frustrations.
Spot on! Accurate post

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Here's an exhaustive list of players who have scored and assisted more goals over the last two seasons in the top 5 leagues, the associated domestic cups and European competitions:
  • Lewandowski - 114
  • Messi - 100
  • Mbappé - 87
  • Ronaldo - 79
  • Lukaku - 73
  • Immobile - 71
  • Müller - 71
  • Haaland* - 70
  • Kane - 69
  • Werner - 68
  • Sancho - 68
  • Benzema - 68
  • Salah - 66
  • Sterling - 65
  • Bruno* - 65
  • Rashford - 65
* Domestic goals scored in Austria and Portugal are not included

That's the company Rashford is looking to keep up with and doing so admirably. Above him you have the two greatest players ever, the current de facto best player in the world, the consensus two future heirs to the world game, and then a pretty tight pack of players.

He's basically been as a good as anyone else, and realistically could have been as high as fifth in the world, competing with Cristiano, if he hadn't done the right thing and handed over penalty and free kick taking duties to Bruno in good faith.

Good luck to anyone who thinks Marcus Rashford is the area to improve at Old Trafford. People need to go and look at the output of many of our forwards during our golden years, or even many of the so-called greats during the 90s and early 2000s. He's going head-to-head with Rooney at this age. In the seasons they turned 22 and 23, Rooney scored or assisted 70 goals. Rashford currently has 65 (with a maximum of 13 games to go), despite the fact that everyone seems to believe he has been injured for over a year, been "shit" individually and playing for what many regard as a "crap" team.

Rashford is the one of most valuable players in the world for good reason. The only players younger than him on this list are Haaland, Mbappe and Sancho. Here's arguably the third or fourth best and most productive attacking player in the world in his age bracket or younger. If he was at any other club, we would be creaming ourselves at the thought of signing him.

I still remember the day I read a post on here lamenting that we didn't send him out on loan and get Haller in for him...

Edit - Accidentally had Bruno and Fernandes, when one was supposed to be Rashford!

Last edited:

Mainoldo

I might be totally oblivious but Marcus Rashford is the least of the worries when it comes to criticism. Also him being black. That fact that he’s English he doesn’t get half the stick from those who are ignorant. Let’s just say if Marcus was French I’m sure things would be a lost worse when it comes to him critiques. In general thought I think us as a fanbase are very much supportive and behind him.

Mike Smalling

But there’s a bizarre backlash against our young players who come through the academy. Some of it I think it’s plain impatience, but I do think many posters don’t understand the history of the academy, and don’t understand why it’s important to have young players come through into the first team, and the majority of those young players have been English.
I do think that is true to some extent, but then there are other cases, where it seems like the exact opposite happens. Many posters seem to place a lot of faith in Dean Henderson, for example. If he was not English and an academy graduate, I doubt there would this much optimism and disregarding of his errors.

With Rashford, I feel like it is mostly down to his decision making. We all know he has incredibly physical and technical tools at his disposal, so it is quite frustrating to watch him continuously dribble into three players, shoot when he should pass, pass when he should shoot and so on. It is the feeling that he really could be much better than he is. He does get a lot of criticism on here, but much of it is fair, in my opinion. Still, there is no player I want to succeed at this club more than Rashford (and possibly Greenwood), and with our current squad I always to see him in the team (if he is healthy).

Here's an exhaustive list of players who have scored and assisted more goals over the last two seasons in the top 5 leagues, the associated domestic cups and European competitions:
  • Lewandowski - 114
  • Messi - 100
  • Mbappé - 87
  • Ronaldo - 79
  • Lukaku - 73
  • Immobile - 71
  • Müller - 71
  • Haaland* - 70
  • Kane - 69
  • Werner - 68
  • Sancho - 68
  • Benzema - 68
  • Salah - 66
  • Sterling - 65
  • Bruno* - 65
  • Fernandes - 65

That's the company Rashford is looking to keep up with and doing so admirably. Above him you have the two greatest players ever, the current de facto best player in the world, the consensus two future heirs to the world game, and then a pretty tight pack of players.

He's basically been as a good as anyone else, and realistically could have been as high as fifth in the world, competing with Cristiano, if he hadn't done the right thing and handed over penalty and free kick taking duties to Bruno in good faith.

Good luck to anyone who thinks Marcus Rashford is the area to improve at Old Trafford. People need to go and look at the output of many of our forwards during our golden years, or even many of the so-called greats during the 90s and early 2000s. He's going head-to-head with Rooney at this age. In the seasons they turned 22 and 23, Rooney scored or assisted 70 goals. Rashford currently has 65 (with a maximum of 13 games to go), despite the fact that everyone seems to believe he has been injured for over a year, been "shit" individually and playing for what many regard as a "crap" team.

Rashford is the one of most valuable players in the world for good reason. The only players younger than him on this list are Haaland, Mbappe and Sancho. Here's arguably the third or fourth best and most productive attacking player in the world in his age bracket or younger. If he was at any other club, we would be creaming ourselves at the thought of signing him.

I still remember the day I read a post on here lamenting that we didn't send him out on loan and get Haller in for him...
the fecking idiots on here saying he needed a loan.

anyone who said that, and there were a lot should forever hand their head in shame.

if he was playing elsewhere, the opinion on him from a % of our fans would be the opposite, and they would want us to be spending £100m+ on him.

Eli Zee

Rashford is a very good player with poor decision making about 50% of the time. He needs to bring that down to like 10%

RedDevilzFox

Ridiculous points, all 3 of them.

He may get racism thrown at him on social media but I have not seen anyone here doing it.

English players are generally always overrated on here. Grealish and Sancho are a 'generational' talent according to some here. Before Wan Bissaka was bought he was the best RB in the country. I could go on ...

Academy players get slack here like no others. If Lingard and McTominay weren't academy, they'd have been dispatched long ago. Darren Gibson and Tom Cleverly were once hyped to be our next gen midfielders. I am indifferent on McTominary and he is having a decent season, he may also become a solid MF in years but as things stand he could also just go back to being nothing. Lingard had a purple patch once and many here suggested that's our #10 sorted.

I would however add, we tend to look at players from other teams with rose tinted glasses. Once we buy some of them they somehow turn to shit over time or our expectations go thru the roof.

Last edited:
I might be totally oblivious but Marcus Rashford is the least of the worries when it comes to criticism. Also him being black. That fact that he’s English he doesn’t get half the stick from those who are ignorant. Let’s just say if Marcus was French I’m sure things would be a lost worse when it comes to him critiques. In general thought I think us as a fanbase are very much supportive and behind him.
blimey. Let’s try and upwrap this...

If he was french, he would get a lot more criticism? I assume you are (not covertly) comparing him to Pogba and Martial - one of which has been causing us no end of problems through his agent (yes we all know he’s well liked at the club - but he endorses his agent), and the other is having what can only be described as a diabolical season.

you right, that there will always be criticism from a large fanbase, and the critics often shout louder than anyone else.

Nickelodeon

I, myself, have been a critic of Rashford because anyone can see that there are so many areas of improvement to his game. It's not because people on here don't rate him, it's actually quite the contrary. Rashford has been one of our best players over the past two seasons and hence our expectations are higher from him. Rashford has the potential to be one of the top 3 players in the league but he's marred by inconsistency especially over the past few months. Yes, posters are fickle and moan about Rashford. But that's only because there is a higher expectation from him and he actually has the potential to be much better than what he is currently. Not even the most ardent of Rashford's critics on here would want him replaced.

Some over the top criticism also stems from the fact that the media and pundits very rarely call out a poor performance from him. The suggestions here with regards to racism or xenophobia are extremely misguided and offensive. Posters wouldn't criticize a Tuanzebe or McTominay as much as Rashford because we know that expecting more than a certain level out of them is illogical.

I would urge the posters here to not throw random arguments of racism or xenophobia without any solid evidence.

RashyForPM

Maybe 5.5 is a bit harsh, but he is no more than a 6.5 for me. 10 league goals is nothing to sneeze at but its also nothing to write home about. IMO both him and Martial hide behind 'they are not a striker but a wide player' narrative. Neither of them are capable of providing 25 league goals a season, which is IMO what you need to win the PL (generally speaking). So for a wide player I think he is doing well. But his game still has a lot of holes and improvements are needed.

And DVDB is more like 2-2.5 for me. I have no idea how anyone can give him 5.5. Guy's barely played and when he has been anonymous.
I still think even 6.5 is undervaluing his performances this season. He has been at the very least, our 2nd-4th best player behind Bruno, Shaw and Maguire. We can agree that Bruno is a 8.5-9 I’m sure, so behind him, for one of the best players in the 2nd placed team with 30 goal contributions, surely he must be a 7.5. Maguire is probably around that number too for me, with Shaw at an 8.

VdB is actually one of those where his Caf average rating of 5 is right. Average. 2-2.5 is way too harsh. The guy has basically not played.

Doracle

• Lewandowski - 114
  • Messi - 100
  • Mbappé - 87
  • Ronaldo - 79
  • Lukaku - 73
  • Immobile - 71
  • Müller - 71
  • Haaland* - 70
  • Kane - 69
  • Werner - 68
  • Sancho - 68
  • Benzema - 68
  • Salah - 66
  • Sterling - 65
  • Bruno* - 65
  • Fernandes - 65

If we also factor in that there’s at least an argument that scoring goals would be a lot easier in some of those leagues, his real comparators on that list should be those based in the premier league so it’s:

Kane - 69
Salah - 66
Sterling - 65
Bruno - 65
Rashford - 65

Caf logic - Kane and Salah, world class wish we could have signed them. Rashford - mediocre, never going to be world class, 5.5/10.

Mainoldo

blimey. Let’s try and upwrap this...

If he was french, he would get a lot more criticism? I assume you are (not covertly) comparing him to Pogba and Martial - one of which has been causing us no end of problems through his agent (yes we all know he’s well liked at the club - but he endorses his agent), and the other is having what can only be described as a diabolical season.

you right, that there will always be criticism from a large fanbase, and the critics often shout louder than anyone else.
Yes that’s what I said. If he was French he would get a lot more crisitism. We treat Rashford as one of our own. We don’t treat the French lads like that. Hence my point.

Yes that’s what I said. If he was French he would get a lot more crisitism. We treat Rashford as one of our own. We don’t treat the French lads like that. Hence my point.
I disagree. I personally don’t think Martial or Pogba get treated differently because of their nationality. Pogba came up through our academy. Of course there will be some people who treat them differently, but that applies to every single player. But generally speaking I don’t think they get treated differently.

Doracle

That’s just not supported by the reality on here. It’s pretty clear that any British player over the age of 20 or so gets far more criticism on Redcafe than a non-English signing. They basically have to deliver 9/10 performances every week (as Shaw has been doing) to avoid criticism. In contrast, Martial has had to be fairly woeful this season to attract similar levels of criticism to Rashford. I have no idea why that is but it seems to be fairly consistent on here.

lysglimt

Scout
Rashfords problem - is a bit of the same Cole had. It's easier to fault a player who creates 5 chances and scores or assists 1 - than the striker who scores in 1 of his 2 chances. Rashford gets to so many chances - and he still hasn't learned to make the right decisions often enough - but the potential in that player is enormous. I just don't think he will ever learn to score those tap-ins so he will not be a 20 league goal a season-striker.

lysglimt

Scout
No he wouldn't. Pogba gets criticized for not playing to the best of his ability - which he has improved after new year. Martial because he at times is lazy and has only scored 4 goals this season. No one criticized Martial last season when he scored 17 goals.

simplyared

So many talking about his bad decision making. To start with I personally don't like the expression. It doesn't work that way. A player of his kind when getting in and around the box you don't have time to think about what to do. It's called instinct. His latest goal against Brighton his split second instinct told him to move his body to the left so he could take it on his right peg and bend it round the keeper. Perfectly executed and nothing wrong with the so called decision making.

Mainoldo

No he wouldn't. Pogba gets criticized for not playing to the best of his ability - which he has improved after new year. Martial because he at times is lazy and has only scored 4 goals this season. No one criticized Martial last season when he scored 17 goals.
So why does Rashford get criticised?

Will Singh

I think every single player gets criticised to a degree and I don't think Rashford should be except! Most of the comments I read that criticise are fair and yes I agree emotions can run high and some things said are over the top but again that happens with all the other players too!

Here are some of the comments in the Player Performanc thread after last nights game:
"Absolutely horrific performance"
"Great goal but he was shit tonight"
"His allround game needs polishing if we want to win leagues and champions leagues"

How much longer do we have to put up with these "shitty" comments aimed at a player who gives so much to our football club both on and off the field.
Marcus Rashford is what our club is all about. His performances on the field are unequalled by anyone else in the current squad. He gives 100% in every game. He's probably playing at present through injury.
He's far and away our most dangerous player going forward. He's still only 23 yrs and has carried the club for a good part of his career since he made his debut for the 1st team.

Ffs the lad's already a legend! Law Best Charlton Rashford!

Get a grip!
Rashford is an amazing player, if we sold him he’d go to a club that at very least is in the CL qf/sf every year.

Although his all round game does need improving. That’s less about him and more about being coached to just shoot and shoot, but to look at if there are better options etc.

Last edited:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I disagree. I personally don’t think Martial or Pogba get treated differently because of their nationality. Pogba came up through our academy. Of course there will be some people who treat them differently, but that applies to every single player. But generally speaking I don’t think they get treated differently.
They get treated differently, but there's valid reasons why. Martial has been on and off, sometimes looks disinterested, whereas Marcus (although alarmingly less at times lately) shows more heart, he also didn't cost a record-fee at the time for a teenager like Tony, same with Pogba. Different expectations will breed different treatments.

As far as the Rashford love/hate, it's pretty much the rubber-band effect, and you see it with players like Martial too. The overly optimistic view is going to be met with stronger negative view than if he was viewed in a more neutral way, which is somewhere in the middle.

alexthelion

Here are some of the comments in the Player Performanc thread after last nights game:
"Absolutely horrific performance"
"Great goal but he was shit tonight"
"His allround game needs polishing if we want to win leagues and champions leagues"

How much longer do we have to put up with these "shitty" comments aimed at a player who gives so much to our football club both on and off the field.
Marcus Rashford is what our club is all about. His performances on the field are unequalled by anyone else in the current squad. He gives 100% in every game. He's probably playing at present through injury.
He's far and away our most dangerous player going forward. He's still only 23 yrs and has carried the club for a good part of his career since he made his debut for the 1st team.

Ffs the lad's already a legend! Law Best Charlton Rashford!

Get a grip!
Nothing wrong with those comments, they're all true.

Rashford is far too inconsistent (same can be said for all our forwards, to be fair).

alexthelion

Its not as if he's a mile off when he tries to take on a group of defenders in the final 3rd. He does it when he believes it's our best option. He makes his decision and thats how it works. A certain George Best was the same.
:D :D :D Now I know this is a wum.

snk123

If he's injured, why does he try to take on 5 players every game? Surely you would be a little worried about tackles flying in when you do that?

alexthelion

I won’t name them but I looked at one of the posters who has been active on this thread as an example. These were all the negative comments they made about our players during the Brighton match. 13 negative comments, all about the same player - one who has contributed to 30 odd goals this season. It’s truly bizarre and shows why this sort of thread is necessary.

Is Rashford rusty now? Will that be the new excuse?

It’s utterly baffling how anyone could think otherwise. (agreeing with a comment that Rashford has woeful intelligence and “bang average” finishing)

This has been an issue for years. Speaks equally to his lack of footballing intellect as to our poor coaching.

One could argue that was an intelligent decision. (referring to a comment that Greenwood hadn’t passed to Rashford)

That’s the problem, he most certainly doesn’t have everything to be brilliant. That’s looking through tinted glasses.
And makes people forget just how low his average floor is.

feck it. Drop Rashford & Greenwood, insert James & Amad.

His free kicks are not that great. How can you say he has good dribbling? The physicality he does well, yet his stupidity on the ball completely negates his physical skill. His movement is non existent. As someone said, he is overrated.

James should replace Rashford.

How can anyone say dribbling is one of Rashford’s assets?

Academy lad. Or something.

Right now I don’t think he is more creative than James in the left. At least James would be more mobile.

He finished a one touch goal, a good finish, no doubt. He has been abysmal otherwise. You can’t see this?

Typical recent performance, a goal papers over a shit performance. 4 or 5 / 10. That’s how he should be playing for the remainder of the season, get the ball out of his feet & put him in positions where a one touch shot is on.
What's wrong with those comments? Seem fair to me.

RedDevilzFox

What's wrong with those comments? Seem fair to me.
Some overly sensitive people on here. Yes Rashford is our top 2-3 player but there are a lot of holes and inconsistencies in his game. I would like to think he will resolve them eventually but he is not exactly a youth player anymore, been playing for 5-6 seasons. Must push on from 'good' to 'great' at some point but all I see is the same inconsistencies year after year. He won't start for any team that actually seriously competes for League or CL titles. Its just that we are so low in terms of expectations that fans are quick to brand anyone 'world class' who performs better than most in the team. And when you point out the issues objectively, instead of countering them similarly people respond with "this must be a WUM" comments. Its dumb!