The treatment on here of Marcus Rashford

Eli Zee

Wow from 50 to 10% :lol:, you really aren't for much are you now ?
What do you mean? If he could reduce his poor decisions by 80%, he'd be amazing. He does so many questionable passes, dribbles, shots, etc

KD6-3.7

Rashford is an exceptional player. If he wasn't playing for us, he would the most valuable player in football. Our fans underrate our players, so the treatment is understandable.
That is simply not true. Especially when you consider how people outside of United don’t really rate him that highly, and that’s coming from people who mainly see just his highlights and not games where he is frustrating 90% of the game.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
That is simply not true. Especially when you consider how people outside of United don’t really rate him that highly, and that’s coming from people who mainly see just his highlights and not games where he is frustrating 90% of the game.
That's not true at all.

owlo

There it is again!! ‘Legend’!!!

Whilst I appreciate the sentiment of this thread, people really need to stop going to either end of spectrum with players.

There is middle ground between legend and complete shite.

Personally, I don’t rate Rashford as highly as some do, and maybe not as highly as I should. He’s very good but nothing more, IMO.

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt this season with injury/fatigue and tactics but to describe him as a legend is absolutely ridiculous.
I think that bar an unexpected betrayal (Eg. Playing for Liverpool) or other happening, he's already a legend elect.

It's not just about his football, though he will likely go on to have an excellent club career and perhaps be our record scorer? It's also about how iconic he is with his extracurricular activity, helping the people of the city. That's what makes a legend.

In 20 years people may not remember his poor/erratic performances, but his goals and contributions to the club and the city are timeproof.

Longshanks

Hes an easy target, put himself on a pedestal with the the school meals stuff. Players with bigger profiles always cop for more abuse it's just a fact, its not right but it's just the way it is.

The fact hes black means some of that abuse turns racist, I dont necessarily think that it's a reason he gets more abuse than any other high profile player it's just becomes an easy angle for neandrothols to use.

For what it's worth I think hes been our third best players this season behind bruno and shaw. And hes been better this season than last his consistency is improving. He is frustrating at times but so was CR7 even when he was banging 30 goals a season in for us. As long as injuries dont curtail him, rashford will be one of our most Important players for many years yet i reckon.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

My take: He is my favorite player right now, seems to be a very likeable and focused lad.
On a good day he is a pure joy to watch, no other player in world football offers a better combination of dynamic and skills.

The big problem is of course his inconsistency and often poor decision making. He would probably need better coaching as well.

Still he would be the last player I would ever consider selling.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
My take: He is my favorite player right now, seems to be a very likeable and focused lad.
On a good day he is a pure joy to watch, no other player in world football offers a better combination of dynamic and skills.

The big problem is of course his inconsistency and often poor decision making. He would probably need better coaching as well.

Still he would be the last player I would ever consider selling.
That's just crazy talk now.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I know what he's getting at. The other contenders would be Mbappe, Ronaldo, Mane maybe a few others.

I don't think you can be a United fan and not like Rashford but that's not the point. The question was does he receive excessive criticism and my answer is no. He plays for United and England and he's a popular person outside of football. That comes with its own negatives and positives including a huge media and fan spotlight. On the caf he is a largely protected species being one of our few jewels in a withering crown.

kouroux

I know what he's getting at. The other contenders would be Mbappe, Ronaldo, Mane maybe a few others.

I don't think you can be a United fan and not like Rashford but that's not the point. The question was does he receive excessive criticism and my answer is no. He plays for United and England and he's a popular person outside of football. That comes with its own negatives and positives including a huge media and fan spotlight. On the caf he is a largely protected species being one of our few jewels in a withering crown.
I personally love Rashford even if he can be frustrating at times, he's improving step by step and I hope one day he gets that consistency to make him reach a higher level. He has all the tools for it in his football, just lacks something to string them all together more frequently.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I personally love Rashford even if he can be frustrating at times, he's improving step by step and I hope one day he gets that consistency to make him reach a higher level. He has all the tools for it in his football, just lacks something to string them all together more frequently.
As long as he keeps improving like you say I will have no complaints. I think the reservations come because he has not been allowed to recover from his injuries properly and he still relies a lot on his explosiveness. That does not bode well for the second half of his career. Having said that sport science is a crazy thing.

K Stand Knut

I think that bar an unexpected betrayal (Eg. Playing for Liverpool) or other happening, he's already a legend elect.

It's not just about his football, though he will likely go on to have an excellent club career and perhaps be our record scorer? It's also about how iconic he is with his extracurricular activity, helping the people of the city. That's what makes a legend.

In 20 years people may not remember his poor/erratic performances, but his goals and contributions to the club and the city are timeproof.
Legend elect is fine.

he might become one.

He isn’t one yet and the term is used far too freely and often these days.

It needs to stop for me.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Here's an exhaustive list of players who have scored and assisted more goals over the last two seasons in the top 5 leagues, the associated domestic cups and European competitions:
  • Lewandowski - 114
  • Messi - 100
  • Mbappé - 87
  • Ronaldo - 79
  • Lukaku - 73
  • Immobile - 71
  • Müller - 71
  • Haaland* - 70
  • Kane - 69
  • Werner - 68
  • Sancho - 68
  • Benzema - 68
  • Salah - 66
  • Sterling - 65
  • Bruno* - 65
  • Fernandes - 65
* Domestic goals scored in Austria and Portugal are not included

That's the company Rashford is looking to keep up with and doing so admirably. Above him you have the two greatest players ever, the current de facto best player in the world, the consensus two future heirs to the world game, and then a pretty tight pack of players.

He's basically been as a good as anyone else, and realistically could have been as high as fifth in the world, competing with Cristiano, if he hadn't done the right thing and handed over penalty and free kick taking duties to Bruno in good faith.

Good luck to anyone who thinks Marcus Rashford is the area to improve at Old Trafford. People need to go and look at the output of many of our forwards during our golden years, or even many of the so-called greats during the 90s and early 2000s. He's going head-to-head with Rooney at this age. In the seasons they turned 22 and 23, Rooney scored or assisted 70 goals. Rashford currently has 65 (with a maximum of 13 games to go), despite the fact that everyone seems to believe he has been injured for over a year, been "shit" individually and playing for what many regard as a "crap" team.

Rashford is the one of most valuable players in the world for good reason. The only players younger than him on this list are Haaland, Mbappe and Sancho. Here's arguably the third or fourth best and most productive attacking player in the world in his age bracket or younger. If he was at any other club, we would be creaming ourselves at the thought of signing him.

I still remember the day I read a post on here lamenting that we didn't send him out on loan and get Haller in for him...
Hilarious how posts like these don't get much of a response probably because they've stats which really can't be argued against and agendas fail against that.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Of course I am biased as a United fan ;)

Still I believe he has the same potential as Mbappe etc., like some of you said something seems to be holding him back.
Fitness, coaching, playing in the wrong system/set-up, I don’t know.

Andersons Dietician

I don’t think anyone denies his goal scoring output is brilliant. What they criticise is that his performances can vastly improve. Maybe for some they think goals are all that matters and a goal equals a good performance. For others they probably view a goal as one action in a game of 90 minutes that maybe took 1 second or one touch and question the other 89mins and 59 seconds of his performance.

Maybe in that 89minutes and 59 seconds they think he can do better which will lead to either him scoring more or someone else in the team scoring meaning hopefully that the standard and results of the team go on an upward curve.

A lot seems to be being made of the 5.5 rating in this thread but surely everyone scores different. Personally 5 is average. When I score it everyone starts on a 5 and I adjust accordingly to how I viewed the performance.

There was an interview with Shaw recently where they end up talking about Bruno and in the interview Shaw says something along the lines of, “ I said to Bruno, I don’t know how you did it, you’ve scored two goals today but you didn’t play well.” The two aren‘t mutually exclusive. You can score goals and not play well. Zlatan another prime example of that.

Last edited:

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Probably he is the most successful high profile home grown player since we fell from our pedestal post fergie. He is also a Manchester united striker with decision making skills that rivals a squirrel crossing the street and you understand why he is an easy target by media and fans.

roonster09

Scout
Here's an exhaustive list of players who have scored and assisted more goals over the last two seasons in the top 5 leagues, the associated domestic cups and European competitions:
  • Lewandowski - 114
  • Messi - 100
  • Mbappé - 87
  • Ronaldo - 79
  • Lukaku - 73
  • Immobile - 71
  • Müller - 71
  • Haaland* - 70
  • Kane - 69
  • Werner - 68
  • Sancho - 68
  • Benzema - 68
  • Salah - 66
  • Sterling - 65
  • Bruno* - 65
  • Fernandes - 65
* Domestic goals scored in Austria and Portugal are not included

That's the company Rashford is looking to keep up with and doing so admirably. Above him you have the two greatest players ever, the current de facto best player in the world, the consensus two future heirs to the world game, and then a pretty tight pack of players.

He's basically been as a good as anyone else, and realistically could have been as high as fifth in the world, competing with Cristiano, if he hadn't done the right thing and handed over penalty and free kick taking duties to Bruno in good faith.

Good luck to anyone who thinks Marcus Rashford is the area to improve at Old Trafford. People need to go and look at the output of many of our forwards during our golden years, or even many of the so-called greats during the 90s and early 2000s. He's going head-to-head with Rooney at this age. In the seasons they turned 22 and 23, Rooney scored or assisted 70 goals. Rashford currently has 65 (with a maximum of 13 games to go), despite the fact that everyone seems to believe he has been injured for over a year, been "shit" individually and playing for what many regard as a "crap" team.

Rashford is the one of most valuable players in the world for good reason. The only players younger than him on this list are Haaland, Mbappe and Sancho. Here's arguably the third or fourth best and most productive attacking player in the world in his age bracket or younger. If he was at any other club, we would be creaming ourselves at the thought of signing him.

I still remember the day I read a post on here lamenting that we didn't send him out on loan and get Haller in for him...
Awesome. Where did you get the stats from btw, did you add 2 season stats manually?

simplyared

What has that got to do with anything?
He would be starting games for every club bar City where he'd be rotated. Liverpool have Mane and Salah but I reckon Klopp would use him in his line-up. That's what I believe. Going on your comments I suppose you'd disagree.
However my intention is to try and clarify the level Rashford is at and to put some perspective to the argument. More appreciation for a great young player is to be desired in other words. Personally as I am a big fan, if there's one player I'd hate to lose it would be him and that's mainly because of his playing skills and attitude. Not what he achieves off the pitch.

Last edited:

MU655

As a left-winger, I would probably put him behind only Son this season. Mane and Sterling haven't been as good as in the previous seasons, and I can't think of anyone else at that level.

Eli Zee

Expecting his bad decisions to go from 50 to 10% is madness. This ain't a videogame
Well with more experience and also good coaches being more hands on and telling him when he's making bad decisions, drilling into him other alternatives when watching videos of his gameplay, etc, he could definitely improve a little

kouroux

Well with more experience and also good coaches being more hands on and telling him when he's making bad decisions, drilling into him other alternatives when watching videos of his gameplay, etc, he could definitely improve a little
Now this is a much more reasonable hope

romufc

As a left-winger, I would probably put him behind only Son this season. Mane and Sterling haven't been as good as in the previous seasons, and I can't think of anyone else at that level.
And this is proven by evidence when he does not play, we miss his runs in behind.

I know he can be frustrating at times but even Mbappe missed a one v one yesterday.

He is still one of our most influential players.

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus
Here are some of the comments in the Player Performanc thread after last nights game:
"Absolutely horrific performance"
"Great goal but he was shit tonight"
"His allround game needs polishing if we want to win leagues and champions leagues"

How much longer do we have to put up with these "shitty" comments aimed at a player who gives so much to our football club both on and off the field.
Marcus Rashford is what our club is all about. His performances on the field are unequalled by anyone else in the current squad. He gives 100% in every game. He's probably playing at present through injury.
He's far and away our most dangerous player going forward. He's still only 23 yrs and has carried the club for a good part of his career since he made his debut for the 1st team.

Ffs the lad's already a legend! Law Best Charlton Rashford!

Get a grip!
I love Marcus even when injured he tries and has the right attitude. The problem is he has been overplayed, overused and this has caused him to play through injuries which isn't good for us. The guy is still young as well in his what early 20s still remember watching him on his debut and thinking jesus someone to look forward to watching again which he confirmed the following weekend against Arsenal. Let him have a break and heal properly and get someone in for next season who can rotate properly with him and those moaning will see their doubts, critics and moans go into thin air. This guy embodies all that is great about our club and the ethos that has been embedded in and what makes our club stand out since the days of Sir Matt.

alexthelion

He would be starting games for every club bar City where he'd be rotated. Liverpool have Mane and Salah but I reckon Klopp would use him in his line-up. That's what I believe. Going on your comments I suppose you'd disagree.
However my intention is to try and clarify the level Rashford is at and to put some perspective to the argument. More appreciation for a great young player is to be desired in other words. Personally as I am a big fan, if there's one player I'd hate to lose it would be him and that's mainly because of his playing skills and attitude. Not what he achieves off the pitch.
He's very good but, has he all tools but no tool box? Yet to be determined imo.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Awesome. Where did you get the stats from btw, did you add 2 season stats manually?
Used Transfermarkt, looked at which players had outdone Rashford in at least one of the two seasons and then added the data for both of their seasons together. I knew Rashford had been very productive over the last two seasons, so it wouldn't be the longest list to pull together.

roonster09

Scout
Used Transfermarkt, looked at which players had outdone Rashford in at least one of the two seasons and then added the data for both of their seasons together. I knew Rashford had been very productive over the last two seasons, so it wouldn't be the longest list to pull together.
Thanks for the list. I thought il prepare the list and remove penalties, then thought it might be tedious task. So just gave up.

RedDevilzFox

Let me put it this way, he will NOT be a regular starter for any team that is seriously competing for a league or CL title in any of the major leagues.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Let me put it this way, he will NOT be a regular starter for any team that is seriously competing for a league or CL title in any of the major leagues.
you can see my posts above calling for objectivity but I can say if he was fit he’d get into most teams. It doesn’t mean he wouldn’t divide the fans with his general play but If he was playing for Real Barca Juve or PSG he’d be banging them in.

arthurka

Problem with Rashford it doesn´t look like it comes naturally with him.
You never know what he will give you next.

But he is still young and a fantastic learner plus his work ethic and dedication looks second to non.
He is an easy target for us here but everyone of my friends that support other teams would all take him before any other Utd player.
Clearly our best player and a top bloke to crown it.

RedDevilzFox

you can see my posts above calling for objectivity but I can say if he was fit he’d get into most teams. It doesn’t mean he wouldn’t divide the fans with his general play but If he was playing for Real Barca Juve or PSG he’d be banging them in.
He is NOT a regular starter playing for Real, Barca, Juve, Bayern, City and PSG. At best he is a rotation player. Don't delude yourselves people.

And that's not to say he is a bad player, he is just not polished enough to start for clubs mentioned above. We have been comfortably a tier or two below these clubs since fergie left. In expectations as well as performance.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Problem with Rashford it doesn´t look like it comes naturally with him.
You never know what he will give you next.

But he is still young and a fantastic learner plus his work ethic and dedication looks second to non.
He is an easy target for us here but everyone of my friends that support other teams would all take him before any other Utd player.
Clearly our best player and a top bloke to crown it.
His current lack of movement and workrate is a problem though unfortunately.

He is NOT a regular starter playing for Real, Barca, Juve, Bayern, City and PSG. At best he is a rotation player. Don't delude yourselves people.

And that's not to say he is a bad player, he is just not polished enough to start for clubs mentioned above. We have been comfortably a tier or two below these clubs since fergie left. In expectations as well as performance.

If things do start picking up again at the club then I’d be willing to bet Rashford will be at the forefront of that and thriving. I’m looking forward to seeing what he’s actually like when he’s fit because this “playing through pain for us” has been going on for over a year now and it’s tiresome. I think if Gnabry Vinicus or Greizmann can get games out wide then Rashford could too.

RedDevilzFox

His current lack of movement and workrate is a problem though unfortunately.

If things do start picking up again at the club then I’d be willing to bet Rashford will be at the forefront of that and thriving. I’m looking forward to seeing what he’s actually like when he’s fit because this “playing through pain for us” has been going on for over a year now and it’s tiresome. I think if Gnabry Vinicus or Greizmann can get games out wide then Rashford could too.
I don't disagree with that. For better or worse, he is still the best player we have along with Bruno so we MUST do everything we can and give him a platform to improve and be successful. I just do not subscribe to overrating of Rashford or notion that he is already a complete striker. There are a lot of holes in his game as far as I am concerned.