'The Treble' won by United, can only be bettered by a team winning the quadruple

Josh 76

I still rue why we couldn’t win the treble in 08.
I would have taken the CL win in 2009 than the FA Cup win in 2008.

back to back PL and CL Would have put Utd as mortals!

norm87cro

Even as a man utd fan if someone wins the same treble we did now I’d consider that bettered even if we did it.

The league is considerably harder to win now.

That being said has any english team other than man utd won the double, champions league and Premier League since its inception. No.

Once Pep leaves city I’d say the chances of a team winning the same trophies we did in 99 is probably at least another 20 years away maybe 50.

Just shows how elite we were and how far we have fallen. Amen.
I agree with most of what you said but despite that this seasons league was as well just a two horse race. People over value the other PL teams. Chelsea won the CL last year but so did Liverpool in 2005 and both those teams were nowhere near the league. Despite that Chelsea has quality. Spurs and Arsenal are overrated and then theres us. The league is not that though if both Liverpool and City manage 90+.

Jibbs

I would have taken the CL win in 2009 than the FA Cup win in 2008.

back to back PL and CL Would have put Utd as mortals!
Oh yes. But in 09 United’s midfield was critically underwhelming, and remains so to this day.

Tap

To be quite frank the League cup is of little value. The thing about the 99 team is they did the Treble in style. Bayern and Barca in the group stage. Two legendary 3 3 games against Barca. Ronaldos Inter and Zidanes Juve. We all know the final. In the cup we eliminated Liverpool in the last 5 minutes from 0 1 to 2 1. Then we beat Arsenal with a man less, a saved penalty and a brilliant Giggs goal. To be fair Newcastle was easy. In the league we topped a great Arsenal ( i think they allowed just 15 goals in 38 that season) team by a point beating Spurs after going a goal down in the last game.
Even this great Liverpool team got very lucky with their CL draw this season. Benfica and Villareal arent excatly City, Real or Juve
Our 99 treble is the best based on the quality of opponents to overcome and the numerous late come back wins that season.

By contrast, Inter, Bayern and Barca’s trebles seem tame in comparison.

dal

I agree with most of what you said but despite that this seasons league was as well just a two horse race. People over value the other PL teams. Chelsea won the CL last year but so did Liverpool in 2005 and both those teams were nowhere near the league. Despite that Chelsea has quality. Spurs and Arsenal are overrated and then theres us. The league is not that though if both Liverpool and City manage 90+.
In this case I wouldn’t judge the league by the fact city and liverpool get 90 +, I’d judge the remarkable squads they have built, unfortunately its better than any man utd team I have watched in the last 30 years. Liverpool have definitely underachieved in terms of league titles however which i find hilarious.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I’m assuming that The Double / Treble / Quadruple has to include the League Title in all cases?

Pintu

Barcelona, Bayern, Inter and Juventus.
Barca were champions of Spain.
Bayern of Germany and Juve the Italian and CL finalists. One of the most difficult runs.
Bayern didn't win the Bundesliga in 97/98. Newcomers Kaiserslautern did...

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The only time that points total will come into as a tie breaker will be to split teams with similar achievements (and it'd have to be an exceptional points total to matter). As it stands, it's:
  1. United 1998/1999
  2. United 2007/2008
As the clear top 2, as 1999 United won the treble, and 2008 United won the league and CL double. No other club has managed that in the modern premier league era. Pretty simple for me. After that, you have a bunch of unique achievements.
  • Arsenal Invincibles
  • Mourinho's Chelsea and their defensive record
  • Peps City Centurions
Klopps Liverpool is the hardest one to judge. They didn't do anything in one particular season that is "unmatched", but their team over a few seasons has done it all. They've actually won the CL, been runners up, now in another final, they won the league with a stupid high points total (and runners up with 90+ points twice), they won the league Cup and FA cup... Just never all in the same year. So I would have them as #3, Peps City as #4, Arsenal invicibles as #5 and Mourinho's Chelsea as #6. This was the scariest year though, as they've probably been the only team who got close to passing United 08 and 1999.

norm87cro

In this case I wouldn’t judge the league by the fact city and liverpool get 90 +, I’d judge the remarkable squads they have built, unfortunately its better than any man utd team I have watched in the last 30 years. Liverpool have definitely underachieved in terms of league titles however which i find hilarious.
Despite Liverpool playing more watchable football IMO than City and their first 11 being nothing short of amazing it's pretty clear City has a lot more debth in their squad than Liverpool. (Or anybody)They somehow just barely managed to survive the African cup. All in all they are both great and it's depressing

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It can also be bettered by a team winning quintuple and sextuple.

Bertie 2 Hats

Only seven clubs have managed to win 'The Treble'.. Celtic.. Ajax.. PSV.. Man United.. Barcelona.. Inter Milan.. Bayern..