'The Treble' won by United, can only be bettered by a team winning the quadruple

el3mel

What about the great Treble of 2016/17? Community Shield, Carabao and Europa.

Slept on
We kept on mocking these trophies and look where we're now. Can't even win these "Micky Mouse" trophies anymore.

I'll take winning a minor trophy every other year ahead of going 5 years trophyless and shit.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
There is no debate. Doesn't matter what team you support the Treble would only be surpassed by the quadruple.

Interesting to note that, although I personally don't think the Invincibles were THAT great and they didn't even retain their title, for all this talk of Klopp and Pep being the best rivalry in the leagues history, Sir Alex and Wenger still probably have the greatest achievements, at least in the PL era.
You could argue that City’s 100 point 100 goal season was a better achievement than the Invincible season, given that the name of the game is scoring goals and accruing points. But it really comes down to personal opinion which will be obviously skewed by club loyalties. The Utd treble is currently still the pinnacle but there is something oddly satisfying by the clean sweep of ‘all the cup competitions’ or ‘all the domestic trophies’ too.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
You don’t have a claim to ‘the treble‘ unless you win your league, simple as. The league is your bread and butter, and you cannot claim to be the best team in Europe without being the best in your own country.

Ours was also impressive due to who we played on the route to the final. In Europe we had a group containing Bayern Munich and Barcelona, which we progressed from unbeaten I might add, and if that wasn’t bad enough we had to get past Inter, Juventus and Bayern to lift the thing. In the cup we beat, among others, Liverpool, Chelsea, arsenal and Newcastle. Imagine all those fixtures coming thick and fast.

Liverpool are up against an insane team for the league but ultimately they couldn’t get it done. They’ve won 2 cup finals without scoring a goal, and in the champions league they’ve so far conquered the mighty benfica and limped past Inter and Villarreal.

Hardly the stuff of legend, is it?

Chief123

Liverpool could win the Cup Treble without scoring a single goal in any of the 3 finals.

Best. Team. Ever.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
The treble is by far the most underrated achievement in football history. The fact that every season there’s talk of it happening when it’s been done once is ridiculous

The Oracle

Well, time to do it ourselves.
League, League cup, fa cup and Europa incoming.
Hmm, I wonder how that quadruple would be described...

'The Quadruple'
Premier League, Champions League, FA Cup, League Cup

The ( ? ) Quadruple
Premier League, Europa League, FA Cup, League Cup

The 'Mickey Mouse Quadruple'
Premier League, Europa Conference League, FA Cup, League Cup

Whatever name you give it, I would certainly be happy with that quadruple next season! :)

Red the Bear

Something less generic

'The Quadruple'

The ( ? ) Quadruple

Whatever name you give it, I would certainly be happy with that quadruple next season! :)
Let's just call it quadruble light.
We go for the real thing after hag gets his initiation season :D

Irwin99

You could argue that City’s 100 point 100 goal season was a better achievement than the Invincible season, given that the name of the game is scoring goals and accruing points. But it really comes down to personal opinion which will be obviously skewed by club loyalties. The Utd treble is currently still the pinnacle but there is something oddly satisfying by the clean sweep of all the cup competitions’ or ‘all the domestic trophies’ too.
I was actually more impressed by their domestic treble.

Another measure of greatness in the domestic leagues is retaining your country's league title, something which I've always felt makes Jose's first Chelsea team better than Arsenal's 2004 side and for which Pep's City teams deserve credit.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu

'The Quadruple'

The ( ? ) Quadruple

The Quadroopy. Droopy because it’s what sleeping giants win before they start dominating again. If this happens, you know what? I’m happy.

Micky Targaryen

I don't mean to offend anyone but on the day we finished a flattering 6th, the deluge of Treble talk is making us more and more like the Scousers in the 90s
Yes. Agreed 100%. I don't even know why some can't see that this is so low.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't mean to offend anyone but on the day we finished a flattering 6th, the deluge of Treble talk is making us more and more like the Scousers in the 90s
What are we supposed to do? Wallow in misery every single day of the season and beyond until we reach the top again? People should enjoy what they can (Liverpool not reaching 20 IS good!) and great memories are there to cherish. SAF may have wanted his players/staff to move on from successes immediately to focus on the next achievement, but as fans, it's naturally to celebrate your club's legendary achievements. I mean, it's discussing who the leaker is or Lingard's new tiktok video, hardly puts us on a high pedestal. Once we actually have something relevant and progressive on a United front people will move away from this talk anyway.

PaulRich

There are trebles, and then there is ‘The Treble’

The hardest treble to win for an English football team is ‘The Treble’ of the Premier League, the Champions League, and the FA Cup.

Man Utd are still the only English team to have ever achieved the feat in ‘99

Until an English team wins the quadruple (‘The Treble’ plus the League Cup), then Man Utd’s Treble will remain the standalone biggest ever achievement by an English football team.

Is this even a debate?

And not even an inhaler in sight

The Oracle

Did anyone else notice the marvellous masterstroke from Gerrard yesterday:

72nd minute – Coutinho subbed off for Nakamba at 0-2

76th minute – Gundogan scores to make it 1-2
78th minute – Rodri scores to make it 2-2
81st minute – Gundogan scores again to make it 3-2

83rd minute – Danny Ings subbed on to try and rescue the game for Villa

Thank you Steven Gerrard...

“Ohhhhh ya beauty!” :lol:

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
An English team hasn't even equalled what we did in '08 yet, never mind the Treble. Shows how hard winning your domestic league and the European Cup in the same season really is.

gajender

Any talk of Double, treble or quadruple is hollow unless it includes the league title , It may be pedantic but unless Club's win their domestic league it should be described as that they won x number of trophies for the season not double or treble .

Dansk

You don’t have a claim to ‘the treble‘ unless you win your league, simple as. The league is your bread and butter, and you cannot claim to be the best team in Europe without being the best in your own country.

Ours was also impressive due to who we played on the route to the final. In Europe we had a group containing Bayern Munich and Barcelona, which we progressed from unbeaten I might add, and if that wasn’t bad enough we had to get past Inter, Juventus and Bayern to lift the thing. In the cup we beat, among others, Liverpool, Chelsea, arsenal and Newcastle. Imagine all those fixtures coming thick and fast.

Liverpool are up against an insane team for the league but ultimately they couldn’t get it done. They’ve won 2 cup finals without scoring a goal, and in the champions league they’ve so far conquered the mighty benfica and limped past Inter and Villarreal.

Hardly the stuff of legend, is it?
It never ceases to vex me how bizarrely fortunate Liverpool have been in the CL. A final against fecking Tottenham, and then they also get a freak ball-grazes-defender's-arm penalty in the first minute of the game? Then a knockout stage facing Benfica, Inter and Villareal? And looking back through history, as I've noted before in another thread, four of their six CL trophies came from finals against teams had never reached the CL final before or since. They've faced Tottenham-like opponents in two thirds of their finals. How is it legal for a club to be this ridiculously lucky?

Meanwhile we met Benfica when they were the best team in the world who had won the CL twice already in the same decade, Bayern when they were massively favored, possibly the best Chelsea side ever, and twice against Barcelona at its peak, widely agreed to be the best team in the history of the sport. Where are our finals against Tottenham, Brugge, Roma and Mönchengladbach? If we had the kind of absurd cosmic luck that Liverpool have enjoyed in the CL, we would easily have four or five trophies.

One cannot overstate how unlucky SAF has been in playing half of his CL finals against peak Barcelona.

Last edited:

spiriticon

Didn't Liverpool win a 'treble' of the UEFA cup, FA cup and League Cup sometime in the mid-2000's?

The Treble(TM) title is only recognised for the highest accolades. I would never describe our league cup and Europa League wins in 2017 as a 'double'

Josh 76

I think so. Obviously they could prove to be better than that United team across multiple seasons but in terms of a single season achievement I can't think of anything other than a quadruple that would be better.

Though a PL and CL double while winning every single game would be pretty good tbf.
What people forget it is the team that won the Treble (1999) and Double (2008), both won the PL title 3 seasons in a row. Don’t think Klopp has even retained a trophy.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Any talk of Double, treble or quadruple is hollow unless it includes the league title , It may be pedantic but unless Club's win their domestic league it should be described as that they won x number of trophies for the season not double or treble .
Correct.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Were it not for going out to Portsmouth in the FA Cup in 07/08, we'd probably have done it twice. I reckon some of the players still think about that sometimes.

Irwin99

The 08-09 season was our closest attempt at the quad. League winners, FA cup semi-finalists (Moyes :mad:) League cup winners, Champions League finalists. Such a powerful team.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It never ceases to vex me how bizarrely fortunate Liverpool have been in the CL. A final against fecking Tottenham, and then they also get a freak ball-grazes-defender's-arm penalty in the first minute of the game? Then a knockout stage facing Benfica, Inter and Villareal? And looking back through history, as I've noted before in another thread, four of their six CL trophies came from finals against teams had never reached the CL final before or since. They've faced Tottenham-like opponents in two thirds of their finals. How is it legal for a club to be this ridiculously lucky?

Meanwhile we met Benfica when they were the best team in the world who had won the CL twice already in the same decade, Bayern when they were massively favored, possibly the best Chelsea side ever, and twice against Barcelona at its peak, widely agreed to be the best team in the history of the sport. Where are our finals against Tottenham, Brugge, Roma and Mönchengladbach? If we had the kind of absurd cosmic luck that Liverpool have enjoyed in the CL, we would easily have four or five trophies.

One cannot overstate how unlucky SAF has been in playing half of his CL finals against peak Barcelona.
Yep, agree with all of that. We’ve had to be the best side in Europe whenever we’ve won it, and I’m not denying we’ve had some luck along the way (99, 08), other clubs have found it easier. Chelsea have two titles and weren’t even the best side in England at the time. People like to shit on our European record, and a club our size should undoubtedly have more titles than 3, but we’ve been incredibly unlucky as you mention. Add into that the Munich crash, the FA not letting us even compete early on while Real won five in row, the heysel European ban and then the limit on foreign players rule and it’s easy to see how we could fall short.

Hughie77

Hollier, won 3 cups with the scum when he was there. The Real treble includes the league.

But I bet if Real don't do everyone a favour it will be by the press etc a treble of some description.

Josh 76

Hollier, won 3 cups with the scum when he was there. The Real treble includes the league.

But I bet if Real don't do everyone a favour it will be by the press etc a treble of some description.
Carragher said wining the plastic treble and finishing in top 4 was better than wining the CL.

He Just loves to play his own trumpet. The guy was an average player, who got stuck in. The way he talks about his playing days, you would think he was one of the class of 92.

Robertd0803

Nothing will ever beat our Treble. Simple. Might be equalled or possibly even some team might win all four but it still wont beat our acheivement in 99.

(I am well aware that makes no sense logically).

redmanx

And we played some howlers in European Cup / CL semi finals, losing to Partizan Belgrade in 65/66, cheated by AC Milan 68/69, Dortmund 96/97 and Bayer Leverkusen 2001/2 all teams we should have walked over.

cyril C

There are trebles, and then there is ‘The Treble’

The hardest treble to win for an English football team is ‘The Treble’ of the Premier League, the Champions League, and the FA Cup.

Man Utd are still the only English team to have ever achieved the feat in ‘99

Until an English team wins the quadruple (‘The Treble’ plus the League Cup), then Man Utd’s Treble will remain the standalone biggest ever achievement by an English football team.

Is this even a debate?
You mention this. A few years ago someone ON THIS FORUM claimed Liverpool was the best, before Liverpool winning CL, which, ironically Liverpool subsequently lost to RM.

I think we (without him obviously) came to the conclusion that international treble is the biggest challenge, because of CL. Domestic treble which City achieved, is probably the 2nd most challenging. Then we lost on treble Cups, Vs international Double.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Look at the teams we played against and overcame on our way to the CL in 98/99. No one's done it better. Only Real has a rather similar path this season and they're yet to win it.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Don't forget as a result of The Treble, we also won the Intercontinental Cup, so really it was a Quadruple, so someone would have to win all of what we did (swap the Intercontinental Cup for the Club World Cup now) and more, so 5 trophies, that is one heck of an ask, only Barcelona and Arsenal's women's team have won that many trophies as far as I know.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sextuple_(football)

Jibbs

I still rue why we couldn’t win the treble in 08.

Paul_Scholes18

I still rue why we couldn’t win the treble in 08.
We were really close to the quadruble 2009.

Pens loss against Everton in Fa semi and lost the CL final.

Liverpool was even closer I guess and they might win CL.

Chripper

A league is about endurance, therefore, has more value than Cups.

Winning three cups without a league isn't really what I would call a real treble.

dal

Even as a man utd fan if someone wins the same treble we did now I’d consider that bettered even if we did it.

The league is considerably harder to win now.

That being said has any english team other than man utd won the double, champions league and Premier League since its inception. No.

Once Pep leaves city I’d say the chances of a team winning the same trophies we did in 99 is probably at least another 20 years away maybe 50.

Just shows how elite we were and how far we have fallen. Amen.

Green_Red

I think we should congratulate the op for realising that 4 is greater than 3.

norm87cro

To be quite frank the League cup is of little value. The thing about the 99 team is they did the Treble in style. Bayern and Barca in the group stage. Two legendary 3 3 games against Barca. Ronaldos Inter and Zidanes Juve. We all know the final. In the cup we eliminated Liverpool in the last 5 minutes from 0 1 to 2 1. Then we beat Arsenal with a man less, a saved penalty and a brilliant Giggs goal. To be fair Newcastle was easy. In the league we topped a great Arsenal ( i think they allowed just 15 goals in 38 that season) team by a point beating Spurs after going a goal down in the last game.
Even this great Liverpool team got very lucky with their CL draw this season. Benfica and Villareal arent excatly City, Real or Juve