The Trend That Runs Through Mourinho and His Treatment of Players.

GM K

One of the main things we have discussed in the caf since Jose Mourinho was hired, is his handling of players. Luke Shaw, Anthony Martial, Miki, Smalling, Bastian, etc. In the past, there was Romelu Lukaku, Kevin De Bruyn, Mo Salah etc.
No other topic seems to generate more debates when exploring the managerial ability of Jose.

Is there a trend that makes it easy to understand his actions?

A few public comments he has made provide insights into his thinking when it comes to those controversial circumstances. Recently he said this about the incident he had with Matic at Chelsea:

"Matic, I cannot say that I had better guys than him in my career,.

“And he has with me something which marks forever, which was a match where he was on the bench, I play him minute 45 and I took him off minute 70, 75.

“The press wants a story, the press wants blood.

“My blood, or his blood, or both. He was really sad. I was also sad because it’s not something nice and it’s something that I did only twice in my career.

“But the next day he comes to me and he says, ‘I’m not happy, but it’s my fault. I’m not happy with what you did to me, but it’s my fault, because the way I was playing I can understand the change. So let’s keep going’.

“We didn’t keep going for a long time because a few weeks later I was sacked.

“But again he was one of ‘my guys’, was one of the guys that we kept close during these years even not working together. So I know that the big man is there, even with more maturity.”

(The Times)

This comment is very revealing and it aligns with his comments about how Miki handled his months of sidelining last season, how Mata handled his treatment at Chelsea, how Martial has improved his attitude this season and his displeasure at AP's preference to go on loan to Valencia. It also aligns with his previous comments on Kevin De Bruyn's departure from Chelsea, Romelu's preference for a loan move and the on field event that led to his problems with Dr. Eva Carneiro at Chelsea.

He seems almost obsessed with loyalty and mental toughness when it comes to building his teams. Add that to the compulsive winning mentality he has, then all those much debated occurrences become easy to understand (though not necessarily justifiable).

The comment quoted above and the ones referred to show why he let's players leave easily when they want out; why he benches some players whose talents are never in dispute; why he clashes with some of his players in some instances and even why he walks away from his jobs at times.

What do you make of this?

Last edited:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Jose is trying to create a familiy feel at the club where each and every member is of one mind, one mentality and above all else loyal to the hilt. He wants his players to play for one another, he wants them to sacrifice personal acomplishment for the betterment of the team. He's trying to instill unity, a team collective that each member will bust a gut to be a part of. He wants Martial to forego individual achievement and square it to Lukaku that his team mate might grab his first hat trick for the club, he wants Shaw to wear his heart on his sleeve as he dives head first in to a 50-50 challenge. And win the ball. He wants Smalling's balls to drop so he doesn't sound like a Blue Peter presenter during interviews.

He cannot understand why certain members continually fail to grasp the concept, why they continue to think for themselves rather than the guy next to them. He refuses to accept that and so calls them out on it publically or otherwise, it makes no difference to him so long as he gets his message across; "I'm the head of this family. I'm older, wiser and smarter than you and I know what's best for you. Play for my team and I'll make you a star, play for yourself and you can keep my bench warm".

Jose is an arrogant bastard no doubt, but he knows how to create a team of men capable of reaching the top of their profession. A team of winners absolute. Martial, Shaw, Smalling whomever simply need to come around to his way of thinking if they wish to remain at the club and be a part of the dynasty he is attempting to shape.

Cal?

CR7 fan
He has the perfect mindset to create a successful squad and handle 99.99% players in the world. But he did fall out with Cristiano at Real, who is perhaps 1 of the only 2 in the generation that you allow to do whatever he wants. Sir Alex managed that part, if we're so lucky to get another player like that, it remains to be seen if Jose can do likewise.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
So Mourinho likes loyal, mentally tough players?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
This is the mark of literally every top manager in the game. You need to believe in the manager, follow his instructions, understand his mentality.

Ferguson made a habit of using less talented players who would be committed to him, and his motivational skills would push them up a level.

Mourinho won the treble at Inter with a team full or rejects and old players, but they believed in him, and would die on the pitch for him.