The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Wow you guys have never been to New Orleans and visited Tchoupitoulas Street :lol: my Google Maps even struggles everytime I get in the city.
Took me 4 years to get a consensus from my customers in New Orleans on how to pronounce it. The consensus was they have no clue on how to pronounce it.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Took me 4 years to get a consensus from my customers in New Orleans on how to pronounce it. The consensus was they have no clue on how to pronounce it.
Does anyone know what it's supposed to me? Like, etymologically. Except for where to put the stress, it's doesn't seem so hard and controversial to me...?

Precaution

Does anyone know what it's supposed to me? Like, etymologically. Except for where to put the stress, it's doesn't seem so hard and controversial to me...?
CHOP A TOOLIOUS/LESS (either works) is probably the best way for some one to pronounce it, I struggled massively with it for a while, I also live near a river called Tchefuncte River, you gotta love the French.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
CHOP A TOOLIOUS/LESS (either works) is probably the best way for some one to pronounce it, I struggled massively with it for a while, I also live near a river called Tchefuncte River, you gotta love the French.
My straight laced manager traveled with me once in NOLA. We made it as far as Iberville on Bourbon before he was ready to go back to his hotel. Damn I do miss the food down there.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The most common one I heard was CHOP - i - Too - les.
I was thinking 'choo-pee-too-lass', with primary stress on 'too' and secondary on 'choo'. That's based on that 'ou' is often pronounced similar to English 'oo', and 'i' similar to English 'ee' (if a little shorter),

I got curious where it came from (obviously :cool: ) and it's native American (Choctaw) originally. I suppose it's the French spelling to approximate the original sound, which then gets murdered by pronouncing what's written as if it were an English word. (Like Illinois, where the 's' wasn't pronounced originally - which is actually also an issue what my attempt above, which should have finished in 'lah' I guess.) Language is fun that way. :)

Is the history the same for that Tchefuncte River? I see it's also based on Choctaw, but I don't see the French origin in the spelling quite as obviously; the 'functe' bit looks weird for that.

(Yes, language is amazing. And I live in a mostly-francophone community, so I have some extra interest in the francophone history of North America.)

GiddyUp

Nah. She’s just pretend it was the blood of immigrant children and get off on it.
I don't think she's ever gotten on pal. She always seemed to me to be one of the many elected Republicans that would be happy to the point of unbridled glee at the possibility of the return to slavery.

Halftrack

It's fair to say that these hearings have been a farce, isn't it?
There's a bunch of people there saying "they're actually under oath because they've signed sworn affidavits."

If you lie in a sworn affidavit, you can only be guilty of perjury if said affidavit is submitted in court (or similar formal legal process) and found contain lies. As long as that doesn't happen, you haven't perjured yourself. Which is exactly why Giulliani and co. aren't submitting them in their actual court cases. It looks really bad if all these witnesses, that they keep pointing to as proof of the election being fraudulent, end up going to jail for perjury.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's a farce. If you testify in a state legislature or Congress, you should automatically be under oath.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
There's a bunch of people there saying "they're actually under oath because they've signed sworn affidavits."

If you lie in a sworn affidavit, you can only be guilty of perjury if said affidavit is submitted in court (or similar formal legal process) and found contain lies. As long as that doesn't happen, you haven't perjured yourself. Which is exactly why Giulliani and co. aren't submitting them in their actual court cases. It looks really bad if all these witnesses, that they keep pointing to as proof of the election being fraudulent, end up going to jail for perjury.
Whilst all of this is going on and everyone is distracted does anyone know what Trump and gang are doing behind the scenes?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Nearly 3,000 deaths in the US yesterday.
Redcafe, 3,000!!!
How has this man not been running out of town?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I honestly didn't realise there was any other way to pronounce it. I didn't realise it was such an odd word. Mind you, I have always lived by the sea and worked on or owned boats my entire life so I guess it's just something I have never thought about until now. The cottage next to my pub is Quay Cottage and I live right next to Brixham fish quay.
Devon?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Whilst all of this is going on and everyone is distracted does anyone know what Trump and gang are doing behind the scenes?
The answer to that question will depend on how clever one thinks he is. Or they are.

I see no obvious signs of cleverness myself.

I see no brilliant end game here. His "gang" seems to consist mainly of idiots and/or grifters whose end game has nothing to do with actually overturning the election.

It's a case of doubting what you see because - surely - they have to have some kind of sinister plan, right? They can't be making fools of themselves to this extent without having something up the ol' sleeve?

They probably don't, though. It's just an unseemly, undignified clusterfeck. Much like Trump's presidency as such.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Just saw the covid graphs. 99% sure it's thanksgiving.
Millions of people still don't take it seriously.

I was talking just now - online - to a member of a niche forum I sometimes post on: a woman in her 70s who thinks a) that Covid is fake news and b) that Covid was created by China in order to hurt Donnie - one or the other, or both, and it seemingly doesn't matter that there's a bit of a contradiction there...

Part of Trump's legacy will be that he actively encouraged the unfathomable idiocy of such people.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Always wanted to go. Maybe see you around sometime
Was set to go on a trip to the West Country - and then on south - with the old man before Covid.

The plan was to do some walking on both Exmoor and Dartmoor - and then explore Cornwall and Devon along the coast.

Feck Covid - but I hope we get a chance to do it.

I've never really taken a proper fill of that part of England - but I've always been drawn to it, especially Dartmoor.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
A quick look tells me that the word Quay is supposed to come from the french word Quai, so you guys better pronounce it cay. Now if the french origin is true then I can see where the problem may come from in french cay, key, kei and quai have the same pronunciation.
And yes Marquis isn't Markwiss, in french qu is generally pronounced like k which is also true for q in a word. So for example Qanon would be pronounced canon which is what we should use to send them on the moon.
The point being, mon ami, that we're hicks and it took me 20 some years to realize that we were saying Marquis incorrectly.

The sad part is they still do it. :lol:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I honestly didn't realise there was any other way to pronounce it. I didn't realise it was such an odd word. Mind you, I have always lived by the sea and worked on or owned boats my entire life so I guess it's just something I have never thought about until now. The cottage next to my pub is Quay Cottage and I live right next to Brixham fish quay.
Until the year 2000 I didn't know the word existed :lol:

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
The point being, mon ami, that we're hicks and it took me 20 some years to realize that we were saying Marquis incorrectly.

The sad part is they still do it. :lol:
In the UK it is pronounced Mar-Kwiss. A title above an Earl and beneath a Duke.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Was set to go on a trip to the West Country - and then on south - with the old man before Covid.

The plan was to do some walking on both Exmoor and Dartmoor - and then explore Cornwall and Devon along the coast.

Feck Covid - but I hope we get a chance to do it.

I've never really taken a proper fill of that part of England - but I've always been drawn to it, especially Dartmoor.
Yeah that sounds great. I’m always drawn to coastlines but haven’t done that part of England before. On the bucket list

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
In the UK it is pronounced Mar-Kwiss. A title above an Earl and beneath a Duke.
In the UK the title is marquess not marquis, so you are wrong on all points. As always.:angel:

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
In the UK the title is marquess not marquis, so you are wrong on all points. As always.:angel:
Well we use the french version too because it's so sexy. We do that with some French words just to annoy the French.

Edit, and btw I didn't say which word we used, just how it was pronounced. So, not wrong for once you polite little teddy bear :lol:

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Well we use the french version too because it's so sexy. We do that with some French words just to annoy the French.
Jokes on you, french are so self-obsesseed that we don't know nor care about the words you use. And anyway, we are way better at butchering the english language. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.