The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I love how calm today has been on the news front. If Trump had still been on Twitter, there'd be a ton of crazy lies, accusations, and threats making headlines now. Instead of that inane nonsense, there is a much more sober (insofar as the circumstances allow) on today's proceedings. All the same though...
...I hate how this is due to Twitter's corporate decision. Some arguments can be had about the appropriateness of Twitter's action. For example, Trump did not say much different from what he's been saying the past couple of months, it's just that his supporters' follow-up action was more violent now; but there is only a difference of scale with the group that plotted to kill the MI governor. Other arguments for earlier bans could be brought in as well. But more generally, my problem is that one company (or a few, if you include Facebook and its companies) has such an impact/power in the world, or at least in the US. I have no idea what's the solution, but this is an undesirable situation in my opinion.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
As a spectator I miss seeing his meltdowns live on twitter. Though it does mean the presidency is starting to look like a professional job again.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
As a spectator I miss seeing his meltdowns live on twitter. Though it does mean the presidency is starting to look like a professional job again.
I can see that pov if you are looking in from the outside, but trust me, as a participant in this horror movie you really don't miss it.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I can see that pov if you are looking in from the outside, but trust me, as a participant in this horror movie you really don't miss it.
Totally understand that. As a country it is far better for him to be unable to shout out his every thought.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It was so.obvious from the beginning Giuliani would get screwed in the end. It was the Trump campaign that leaked his demands. The man is a fool.

Gordon S

Things are going south pretty quick for him!
I don´t know a lot about US politics but he can´t have many allies left now?
Gaetz and Don jr?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Let’s not forget that Giuliani has insurance on Trump.

Gordon S

Jr Don isn't an ally, he's more like a liability, the one clown that'll get everyone killed in movies
Ally was probably not the right word!

Yes, i get Tony Montana vibes from Jr, looks more coked up every time i see him.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
It would be delicious if they somehow brought a RICO case against Trump and his acolytes.
I think this article explains the possible paths forward: How likely is it that Trump will face criminal prosecution after leaving office?

The short answer is that he could well face charges, and it's very likely that he's under investigation already. It seems like it's up to the incoming AG to make the final decision based on the case the DOJ/FBI presents to him. It's going to be a pretty interesting few weeks or months for both Trump and several of the people in his inner circle.

Simbo

It's like they banned a shite source in the transfer tweets thread, we all know its bollocks but we all like to read it.

Granted, shite transfer tweets ain't getting people killed.
Not quite, somewhere in-between that and an account spreading ISIS propoganda I'd say.

Simbo

I love how calm today has been on the news front. If Trump had still been on Twitter, there'd be a ton of crazy lies, accusations, and threats making headlines now. Instead of that inane nonsense, there is a much more sober (insofar as the circumstances allow) on today's proceedings. All the same though...

...I hate how this is due to Twitter's corporate decision. Some arguments can be had about the appropriateness of Twitter's action. For example, Trump did not say much different from what he's been saying the past couple of months, it's just that his supporters' follow-up action was more violent now; but there is only a difference of scale with the group that plotted to kill the MI governor. Other arguments for earlier bans could be brought in as well. But more generally, my problem is that one company (or a few, if you include Facebook and its companies) has such an impact/power in the world, or at least in the US. I have no idea what's the solution, but this is an undesirable situation in my opinion.
Merkel took a lot of flack for her comment saying pretty much the same thing (troubling it is left to a corporation to make this decision and as such have such an effect on the world), but the point she was getting at was that there should be some sort of legislative guidance in place for these companies to follow instead.

The other point I would make is that people are talking about this like it is the first time Twitter has banned/suspended a user for breaching their rules, whereas likely the number is in the hundreds of thousands. The only real story here is why Trump was given special permission to get away with it for so long.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Majority of the GOP is still trumpist though. Won’t be that easy to shake off the stuff they have done past 2 months.
That should be ok. Working with hacks like Cruz or Hawley should be better for Mitch than Trump himself. Anyway even if they split, it isn't like one side is going to support Dems. They'd still have a unhappy alliance.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
These grifters will figure out a way for the constituents to reimburse them, probably a "I'm defending your rights by circumventing these violations of our rights!"

Nonetheless...

That is why she is deducting it straight from their pay. This way they can't set up some sort of legal fund that people can contribute to. I don't think the laws in place let constituents just hand money over.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Merkel took a lot of flack for her comment saying pretty much the same thing (troubling it is left to a corporation to make this decision and as such have such an effect on the world), but the point she was getting at was that there should be some sort of legislative guidance in place for these companies to follow instead.

The other point I would make is that people are talking about this like it is the first time Twitter has banned/suspended a user for breaching their rules, whereas likely the number is in the hundreds of thousands. The only real story here is why Trump was given special permission to get away with it for so long.
Yeah I know, and I think she's got a point there. This is where we are now, so Twitter does what they want cause they can - all we can say is that they're inconsistent with their own Terms of Use (by not banning Trump earlier, by banning others for relatively mild transgressions, etc.). I am sure creating a legislative framework would be a big mess (Twitter doesn't create news, and even news companies have talkshows were crazy lies are being spouted unchallenged - just to name some obvious stuff), but I hope there's a way.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Status
Not open for further replies.