The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Yeah I know, and I think she's got a point there. This is where we are now, so Twitter does what they want cause they can - all we can say is that they're inconsistent with their own Terms of Use (by not banning Trump earlier, by banning others for relatively mild transgressions, etc.). I am sure creating a legislative framework would be a big mess (Twitter doesn't create news, and even news companies have talkshows were crazy lies are being spouted unchallenged - just to name some obvious stuff), but I hope there's a way.
I did wonder what the impact of "no followers, no likes, no retweets, no comments," would have had if it had been used earlier. The "This is a lie / link to fact" banners were a good move as well, which again could have been done earlier.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I did wonder what the impact of "no followers, no likes, no retweets, no comments," would have had if it had been used earlier. The "This is a lie / link to fact" banners were a good move as well, which again could have been done earlier.
I do think it could have helped - although not much: I think it's all probably a case of too little, too late. I mean, this time last year (to take a random previous point in time), Trump's base of dangerous lunatics was already in place, as was QAnon. Cutting him off at that moment would have made 'information' (not sure that's the right word for anything Trump says) reach his supporters a little slower, but it would have gotten there one way or another (even without an alternative outlet like Parler), and then those people would spread and amplify anything among them, as they are constantly doing anyway. I mean, most of the conspiracy stuff is not created by Trump, he just sees it on Fox or OANN or Newsmax, and then repeats it in is tweets, interviews, and press conferences. Taking away his tweets wouldn't change the rest enough if the crazy base exists already, I think.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Put your life on the line for us but stay off the throne.

The one part of the trump cult that I don’t understand. Suppose you can’t understand stupid, ignorant, racist, hateful etc. They worship him as some kind of demi god who’s one of them, fighting for them and against the system. Yet these people don’t give a shit about those people and are only loyal to themselves and their power/money.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
The one part of the trump cult that I don’t understand. Suppose you can’t understand stupid, ignorant, racist, hateful etc. They worship him as some kind of demi god who’s one of them, fighting for them and against the system. Yet these people don’t give a shit about those people and are only loyal to themselves and their power/money.
Well they do say 5% of Trumps base is filthy rich and the other 95% are as thick as pig shit.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Wittmann45

Nikki Haley?
Spoke out against trump in the 2016 election campaign but joined the administration and is now a leading candidate for the presidency in 2024 I would say
I mean, I don't know about after January 6, but a number of politicians that have linked themselves to Trump have either rode his coattails to win elections or learned from him to set themselves up for the 2024 election, including Cruz, Hawley, Rubio and even Pence. Even Trump Jr is seen as a possible candidate. This is all public knowledge too, without even mentioning the long list of people within the administration that probably made out handsomely through nepotism or corruption. The entire election challenge lawsuits were probably just a way to raise an obscene amount of money for the family

Lots of people benefitted from linking themselves to Trump - the tweet is silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.