The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
1:22 onwards

Drumpf obviously asked Coates to obstruct justice as well. Good to see Heinrich nailed Coates on this.
Exactly. By not saying it, or saying that he didn't think it was the right place, he was essentially saying he thinks the investigation committee needed to hear it.

I was extremely impressed with McCain again today. Hopefully making up for past transgressions so he can go out like the true hero he is. (Surviving Capture is part of my reason for calling him a hero) :lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Exactly. By not saying it, or saying that he didn't think it was the right place, he was essentially saying he thinks the investigation committee needed to hear it.

I was extremely impressed with McCain again today. Hopefully making up for past transgressions so he can go out like the true hero he is. (Surviving Capture is part of my reason for calling him a hero) :lol:
:lol: That was brilliant.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I'm wondering how much Comey now being a private citizen and thus, not bound to comply with FBI ethics on what you can and can't say will affect things.

I mean, he still can't share classified information with regards to ongoing investigations or anything else but he might be more willing to talk about private unclassified conversations he's had or other things of that nature because he's not in a governmental role?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Dershowitz is claiming the President has constitutional authority to do things such as request for/demand an end to an investigation into Flynn and thus there can be no obstruction of justice.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Dershowitz is claiming the President has constitutional authority to do things such as request for/demand an end to an investigation into Flynn and thus there can be no obstruction of justice.
I suspect Dershowitz is somehow entangled in the Trump sphere. The head of Newsmax Chris Ruddy, took Dershowitz to Maralago for dinner a month or so back, and Trump shows up to chat with him. I suspect there's some sort of Netanyahu/Kushner link between them as well.

langster

Scout
I'm watching it too, and thinking that it is absolute bullshit and it has to be. Otherwise that's like saying the President is above the law. It's the same as Trump when he said the President cannot have conflicts of interest. They really do believe this, but it's not true, although all the time the Republicans turn a blind eye to it all and ignore it, it may as well be true.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Is there anything in the constitution that gives the President that power or is it plainly bullshit?

langster

Scout
Is there anything in the constitution that gives the President that power or is it plainly bullshit?
I suspect @Carolina Red would be better versed to answer that one, but I don't think there is anything in the Constitution that says that. 1. It would have been mentioned as a defence by now. 2. It's far too much power for someone to have and it's too ambiguous.

Jason Miller does have a very smart suit and tie on tonight. Very snazzy. I bet @Rado_N would be impressed.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
I suspect @Carolina Red would be better versed to answer that one, but I don't think there is anything in the Constitution that says that. 1. It would have been mentioned as a defence by now. 2. It's far too much power for someone to have and it's too ambiguous.

Jason Miller does have a very smart suit and tie on tonight. Very snazzy. I bet @Rado_N would be impressed.
Depends on tie length

ManUtd1999

People like Dershowitz are the real problem, not DJT.

SMH

langster

Scout
Ugh, he's going to get away with it yet again isn't he? It's built up and will be a massive let down. Incompetent? yes. Stupid? yes. Dumb? most certainly. Illegal? maybe. Enough to impeach him or imprison him? Sadly not. Everyone will just say that it's because he's not a politician and not versed in the full legalities of things as to why he did it and why he will get away with it. Tomorrow will be a huge let down and then tomorrow evening will be even more upsetting, angering and down right depressing for us Brits.

By this time tomorrow night/morning Trump will be partly vindicated and fully defended and he will be back on course to ruining healthcare, stealing more money from the USA and destroying Earth. Trump's supporters will be unbearable and impossible to live with and they will be everywhere, I will even go as far as saying they will be that confident that they will come in this thread to gloat. What's worse (if that is even possible) is in the UK the Tories will have a majority once more and Emperor Palpatine will have 5 years to destroy our NHS our schools and attack the poor, disabled and minorities. She will also have 5 years to run around licking Trump's arse like some kind of puppy on heat, her sycophantic obsession with Trump and a trade deal with the USA will only further alienate her and the UK from Europe and the rest of the world.

In short it will be like for 5 years continuously listening to the Spice Girls on repeat while watching Avatar on fast forward at the same time as you are sat in a cold bath of garlic vinegar that slowly eats away at your skin and burns your brain through your nostrils.

Abizzz

Ugh, he's going to get away with it yet again isn't he? It's built up and will be a massive let down. Incompetent? yes. Stupid? yes. Dumb? most certainly. Illegal? maybe. Enough to impeach him or imprison him? Sadly not. Everyone will just say that it's because he's not a politician and not versed in the full legalities of things as to why he did it and why he will get away with it. Tomorrow will be a huge let down and then tomorrow evening will be even more upsetting, angering and down right depressing for us Brits.

By this time tomorrow night/morning Trump will be partly vindicated and fully defended and he will be back on course to ruining healthcare, stealing more money from the USA and destroying Earth. Trump's supporters will be unbearable and impossible to live with and they will be everywhere, I will even go as far as saying they will be that confident that they will come in this thread to gloat. What's worse (if that is even possible) is in the UK the Tories will have a majority once more and Emperor Palpatine will have 5 years to destroy our NHS our schools and attack the poor, disabled and minorities. She will also have 5 years to run around licking Trump's arse like some kind of puppy on heat, her sycophantic obsession with Trump and a trade deal with the USA will only further alienate her and the UK from Europe and the rest of the world.

In short it will be like for 5 years continuously listening to the Spice Girls on repeat while watching Avatar on fast forward at the same time as you are sat in a cold bath of garlic vinegar that slowly eats away at your skin and burns your brain through your nostrils.
The US aren't ever going to imprison an active or former president (few countries would). That ship sailed when he got elected. Impeachment is, as you're well aware, a political process. The Republicans are nowhere near impeaching him, even if Comey came out with some truly damaging stuff later today they would just ignore it, maybe throw some political smoke bombs here or there for a little distraction.

There's no reason to be optimistic. There's a silver lining though: In exchange for him wrecking earth we get to see him humiliate himself day in day out. That, and the fact that IF we survive 4 (or 8) years of Trump without nuclear war, we will have gone through the most dangerous time in the nuclear age and survived it. (5 months done, 43, or 91 to go).

langster

Scout
The US aren't ever going to imprison an active or former
:lol: Yeah I know, but one can only hope, and I do sincerely hope Trump is the first. I was being facetious in the post though, it was all intentionally hyperbolic and planned as part of my superstition. @RedSky and @Damien will definitely understand the method behind my madness.

*Edit. I must be tired because I thought something was wrong with the sentence but it took me a while to figure out. I just noticed that "intentionally hyperbolic" is grammatically incorrect because hyperbolic in itself is intentional, so intentionally wasn't needed. (sorry to correct and berate myself in public but I know some like to use this forum to learn English and like to learn the nuances and intricacies of the language :lol:)

Last edited:

Canuckred64

It will be a massive let down for many, because they have convinced themselves that Trump will be impeached. However, you can't impeach somebody because you think they are incompetent or stupid, nor can you impeach them because you don't like them or their policies. They have to break the law, and while Trump has said and done a lot of stupid things, so far he hasn't done anything illegal. Or at least we have not seen any evidence yet that would hold up in a court of law.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Innocent people quite often do things like this.

Oh, no they don't do they? Dumbfeckingbelievable!
If Trump takes out adverts specifically against Comey, I bet it will only harden his resolve (considering that he is such a boy scout) and pretty sure the entire IC will behind Comey for such unprecedented actions.

Leaks will be more like waterfalls.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

These people have absolutely no intention of finding the truth. America is being run by a cartel with a NY Mafioso as its head.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
It will be a massive let down for many, because they have convinced themselves that Trump will be impeached. However, you can't impeach somebody because you think they are incompetent or stupid, nor can you impeach them because you don't like them or their policies. They have to break the law, and while Trump has said and done a lot of stupid things, so far he hasn't done anything illegal. Or at least we have not seen any evidence yet that would hold up in a court of law.
It depends. If the definition of 'illegal' is 'things that would get anyone other than the president sent to jail, then yes he has committed obstruction of justice. If the definition is 'things that made a previous president resign as he was about to be impeached' then yes, he's commited obstruction of justice. As the current definition appears to be 'there's a Republican congress so lol' he is likely to escape by just throwing a few minions under the bus, just like Reagan did during Iran Contra.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Trump's easiest and quickest defense would be his stupidity, which is why its going to be very hard to attribute malice to him with any of these hearings. The path to impeachment should come through convincing the congress and the senate that his stupidity is actively putting US interests at hazard, like him disparaging Qatar while holding 10,000 troops in the country which turned out to be a false flag by Russian hackers.

Javi

Trump's easiest and quickest defense would be his stupidity, which is why its going to be very hard to attribute malice to him with any of these hearings. The path to impeachment should come through convincing the congress and the senate that his stupidity is actively putting US interests at hazard, like him disparaging Qatar while holding 10,000 troops in the country which turned out to be a false flag by Russian hackers.
The «stupidity»-defence wouldn't hold up anywhere, it's just too easily debunked by references from his business past. His best defence is to twist words.

If I understand the issue at hand correctly the main point is that he asked Comey to end the Flynn investigation and probably also the Russian collusion one. He did it in person, face to face. So there is no direct evidence to be had, e.g. tapes/protocol, ergo the exact wording of what was said will never come to light. Now even if Comey has some pretty detailed notes about what Trump told him and he has history with leaving a paper trails etc. (thus adding to the credibility of his notes) Trump still has room for an alternative narrative in which he only asked the FBI director to end the investigation if there is nothing to show for it. He can try to frame the context in which he asked Comey, he can even claim Comey plain and simple got it wrong either way the case will be far from a clear issue of obstruction of justice.

Still: at best he was asking him about the status of the investigation, at worst he was trying to influence him which in regard to the obstruction issue is still miles away from something like burning evidence.

Carolina Red

Staff
I suspect @Carolina Red would be better versed to answer that one, but I don't think there is anything in the Constitution that says that.
Technically, as head of the Executive branch, the president is over all Justice Dept bodies. With that authority, he theoretically could shut down any investigation of his choosing, with one caveat... that in doing so he is not acting in any way a corrupt manner. If corruption can be proven as a driving factor in his actions, then he has acted illegally to obstruct justice.

Dershowitz conveniently left out the corruption caveat that he definitely knows about considering it is what would have been used against Nixon.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Alan Dershowits is basically saying a president can never be guilty of obstruction of justice.
That doesn't make sense.
Edit: just read @Carolina Red post.

Fergies Gum

Democrat Jane Harman is on CNN and having a dig at them with the way they and other networks are treating all this as a reality tv show.

Last edited:

Kaos

I think you're all going to be disappointed with this Comey testimony.

We've been here before, another false dawn.

Nothing tangible will happen until the mid terms, if we're lucky.

langster

Scout
What the feck is this :lol:
Today = Nothingburger and mass disappointment over Comey's damp squid (lol) non-event testimony followed by a Fox hunting loving Tory win in the election and resulting in me wanting to drink myself to oblivion but being unable to as not being allowed to drink due to my surgery.

InfiniteBoredom

Today = Nothingburger and mass disappointment over Comey's damp squid (lol) non-event testimony followed by a Fox hunting loving Tory win in the election and resulting in me wanting to drink myself to oblivion but being unable to as not being allowed to drink due to my surgery.
So sad, much disappointment :(

Status
Not open for further replies.