The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This will embolden the cnuts in Europe. FEAR WINS.
Think we are in for a rocky next decade politically.
Hint it's France and Germany next. The electoral system in those countries make it more difficult but the fringe parties will make their move, nonetheless.

Cina

Sorry fellas, seems that women weren't as bothered by Trump's misogyny as you thought they were.
That's a pretty stupid, broad statement.

I know plenty of American women who are outraged and outright embarrassed that a man like that was able to run, I haven't spoken to them since he won but no doubt they'll be disgusted at the outcome.

America is a country with a much higher class divide than any other developed country on earth, and much like Brexit Trump was able to get to those poorer and less educated folk who don't really see these things as significant, but it doesn't mean a hell of a lot of women don't think it was disgraceful.

Cina

Trump said Britain will be in front of the queue when it comes to a trade deal.

Obama said they would be at the back of it if they dared vote Brexit.
Trump says whatever the feck he can to win. You think he was actually serious? He probably can't even remember saying it.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
That's a pretty stupid, broad statement.

I know plenty of American women who are outraged and outright embarrassed that a man like that was able to run, I haven't spoken to them since he won but no doubt they'll be disgusted at the outcome.

America is a country with a much higher class divide than any other developed country on earth, and much like Brexit Trump was able to get to those poorer and less educated folk who don't really see these things as significant, but it doesn't mean a hell of a lot of women don't think it was disgraceful.
Is it stupid? Trump won the election, and you can bet there were plenty of female voters for him as well. Hell, the female comments on his Facebook page were pretty bizarre. Among those less educated rural folks there are female voters too.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Is that too simplistic though straight after the first black US president served two terms?
Nope.

If anything Obama being president has birthed a lot of the deplorables, who were content with the status quo having a white male represent their country.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
What way?
90% of their donations go to what it's mean for. That's as good as you'll see anywhere.
It's one of he best foundations out there.

Yes they take money from Saudi and Qatar? So does our queen. Doesn't mean corruption.
The election is done with now. These lies should stop as well.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
The sexism factor is an interesting aspect of the results, will be curious to see how the voter breakdown reflected gender. Sexism like racism exists quite comfortably in the US, much like many countries but I believe voter apathy & fatigue with political establishment was the biggest culprit. Lowest turnout since 2000 apparently

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If be might foolish to believe it, but I really hope that relations between the two countries improve.

the problem with this cold war standoff is that the rest of us suffer.
Its not really that simple. The byproduct of improving relations will result in Putin gaining unchecked power to invade, divide, and conquer neighboring countries, intimidate them with oil and gas, and launch information warfare operations to replace their leaders, just as he did in the US.

Fortunately, Trump will now have access to the same intelligence Obama has regarding Russia's activities, at which point his good will towards Putin will be severely curtailed.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Trump says whatever the feck he can to win. You think he was actually serious? He probably can't even remember saying it.
I've learnt over time that most politicians do.

But its a better stance than the other confrontational stance the other candidate was advocating. I think whether this countries want to admit it or not, they need to work together, especially in Syria for example.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Like Brexit, I can't help but feel that some people who were desperate for their lives to get better were swayed by empty promises and daydreaming, with their continued support maintained by raw hatred for others.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If his presidency is like his behaviour during the campaign, I'm certain Trump is going to feck everyone over.

The political establishment in the West needs to get their act together.

Hate and fear have proven to be very powerful tools to get votes. Disgusting.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Its not really that simple. The byproduct of improving relations will result in Putin gaining unchecked power to invade, divide, and conquer neighboring countries, intimidate them with oil and gas, and launch information warfare operations to replace their leaders, just as he did in the US.

Fortunately, Trump will now have access to the same intelligence Obama has regarding Russia's activities, at which point his good will towards Putin will be severely curtailed.
We dont know how it will turn out.

I really dont think Trump will be Putin's puppet though, and will speak out where need be, but good intitial relations are a good start.

Cina

Is it stupid? Trump won the election, and you can bet there were plenty of female voters for him as well. Hell, the female comments on his Facebook page were pretty bizarre. Among those less educated rural folks there are female voters too.
Your last sentence, that's my entire point. The less educated are easily swayed even in the face of racism, Xenophobia and sexism. We learnt that with Brexit and we're learning it all over again with Trump.

To say however as a sweeping generalisation that American women don't care about the comments is just ignorant.

Seveneric

How in the ever loving hell did he get more latino votes that Romney in 2012?

I'm guessing it's Cubans who see themselves as better than Mexicans and thus did not care about the rapist and wall comments?

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
What kind of crazy situation have we landed in that Paul bloody Ryan is who liberals are counting on to be the voice of reason.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
What way?
90% of their donations go to what it's mean for. That's as good as you'll see anywhere.
It's one of he best foundations out there.

Yes they take money from Saudi and Qatar? So does our queen. Doesn't mean corruption.
And what about the other kickbacks and "consultancy" and access that is provided to Clinton for said donations?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

You're assuming he has the wit and attention span to take on board and interpret this intelligence. Did you read the interview with his biographer? Trump would struggle to get his head round the plot of a Michael Bay movie.

Drifter

American
Trump will have to deliver on Immigration,Manufacturing jobs, Fighting ISIS . Can't see him satisfying the pitchforkers

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
Both candidates were about as useful as a glass hammer

Trump going to increase the debt by trillions
yeah. that's how to make counties great again. people are moankng because they have to work and can't just borrow money, spend it, and then never pay it back. it was better back in the day when you only had to worry about yourself and feck everyone else.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Your last sentence, that's my entire point. The less educated are easily swayed even in the face of racism, Xenophobia and sexism. We learnt that with Brexit and we're learning it all over again with Trump.

To say however as a sweeping generalisation that American women don't care about the comments is just ignorant.
That is not what I said. I said they were not as bothered about it as we thought. Not bothered enough to not vote for him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This will embolden the cnuts in Europe. FEAR WINS.
Think we are in for a rocky next decade politically.
Hint it's France and Germany next. The electoral system in those countries make it more difficult but the fringe parties will make their move, nonetheless.
Leave France out of that one.:)

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
He has basically promised rural america that he will bring them jobs again and lift them out of the doldrums

Its really not a shock that they voted for him. I suppose if you put yourself in their shoes, you can see why.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Trump will have to deliver on Immigration,Manufacturing jobs, Fighting ISIS . Can't see him satisfying the pitchforkers
Doubt it.

I think the fact he's been elected is enough of a victory for them, he's won against the establishment, defeated the elite etc.

The standard has been set so low now that all he needs to do is seen to be trying to do these things, and if he can't deliver he'll fall back on blaming corruption.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
How long will it be now for Americans who criticise Trump to be cast as unpatriotic. Remembering the "good times" of early Iraq war.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
This reminds me a lot of Piketty's writings - the West is becoming more and more unequal, to unseen levels in our lifetime. The current response is a pivot to right wing populism - it'll be Le Pen next, surely.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
We'll see the end of America's pivot to Asia which will destabilize the region with China's expansionist policy and Japan & Korea being backed into a corner.

He already said that he wouldn't mind them getting nukes...
If Japan re arm we'll finally see Gundum, for a geek like me that's great!

podurban2

Normally, you'd be happy with that kind of news. But we all know what that means.
Not really. Putin is a paranoid man, with Trump he probably feels a bit less concerned and less inclined to make risky/expansionary decisions. I personally see this as something good.

Revan

Assumptionman
My initial thoughts after this dark day:

1) Global warming is the biggest problem right there. I am not a yank, so they can decide to kill themselves with guns for all I care if they want so, and become more bigoted than ever, but this will affect the entire world. All the projection put a rise of temperatures by 4C degree by the end of the century, even if we considerably lower the amount of carbon. Now the second biggest emitter of carbon dioxide has as a president a global warming denier.

2) A new economical crisis, but I think this was inevitable in either case. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets better by having Trump as president, just because of his sheer unpredictability, while Hillary on the other side would have just continued the status quo.

3) Obama's hard work will be erased from history. Obamacare is dead, no background checks to get guns, etc etc. Anyway, just Americans will suffer the consequences here.

4) An extremely conservative supreme court. Again, Americans' lose.

5) I actually think that Trump will be less hawkish than Hillary, the relations with Russia will improve, as will be those with China. NATO will be interesting, but European states need to put more money on it anyway, and Trump will ensure that. His stance on Israel-Palestine conflict will be far more pro-Israel than it was Obama's, but I would have expected the same to happen also with Hillary.

6) The end of Paul Ryan?! I thought that he will be the next president after Hillary, now he will likely be destroyed.

7) There won't be a Mexican wall, neither Muslims won't be denied to enter US.

To conclude, the biggest problem is (1), and it is a very big problem, by far the biggest reason I wanted Clinton to win. I don't think that much will change on (2) and (7), I don't care at all for (6), and don't care that much for (3) and (4). I think that (5) is actually positive.

It won't be as bad as we think it will be, but still cannot help but think that humanity is doomed when it comes to global warming, and both US and China going almost entirely green energy was the only hope. Now, that is not going to happen (if it ever was).

MTF

Really upset and unsettled in all honesty. I'm not convinced that the human race will make its life better in my lifetime anymore. We're moving away from logic, reason and the enlightenment, and it seems to be happening very quickly.
I've been reading a WWI book recently, and fail to find the quote now, but it was something from right when the war broke out that went along the lines of "nothing we do now, for the rest of our lives, shall have any meaning", lamenting the inevitable loss of life and destruction. It's exaggerated at the time, it's exaggerated to compare this to WWI, but I get part of that feeling.

Siorac

You're assuming he has the wit and attention span to take on board and interpret this intelligence. Did you read the interview with his biographer? Trump would struggle to get his head round the plot of a Michael Bay movie.
I don't think those actually have plo... oh. I understand.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
About that wall. When do we think it will be built? When do we think he will replace ACA? Will he lock up Hillary? He has no excuses since he has complete control including the house and Senate.

Status
Not open for further replies.