The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTF

I am exceptionally gutted for Barack Obama.
All his hard work will be erased from history.
A Politico story, I think, said he was very in favor of Hillary running, even ahead of Biden. So I guess he must also share in part of the responsibility for this final act.

Classical Mechanic

My initial thoughts after this dark day:

1) Global warming is the biggest problem right there. I am not a yank, so they can decide to kill themselves with guns for all I care if they want so, and become more bigoted than ever, but this will affect the entire world. All the projection put a rise of temperatures by 4C degree by the end of the century, even if we considerably lower the amount of carbon. Now the second biggest emitter of carbon dioxide has a president a global warming denier.

2) A new economical crisis, but I think this was inevitable in either case. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets better by having Trump as president, just because of his sheer unpredictability, while Hillary on the other side would have just continued the status quo.

3) Obama's hard work will be erased from history. Obamacare is dead, no background checks to get guns, etc etc. Anyway, just Americans will suffer the consequences here.

4) An extremely conservative supreme court. Again, Americans' lose.

5) I actually think that Trump will be less hawkish than Hillary, the relations with Russia will improve, as will be those with China. NATO will be interesting, but European states need to put more money on it anyway, and Trump will ensure that. His stance on Israel-Palestine conflict will be far more pro-Israel than it was Obama's, but I would have expected the same to happen also with Hillary.

6) The end of Paul Ryan?! I thought that he will be the next president after Hillary, now he will likely be destroyed.

7) There won't be a Mexican wall, neither Muslims won't be denied to enter US.

To conclude, the biggest problem is (1), and it is a very big problem, by far the biggest reasons I wanted Clinton to win. I don't think that much will change on (2) and (7), I don't care at all for (6), and don't care that much for (3) and (4). I think that (5) is actually positive.

It won't be as bad as we think it will be, but still cannot help but think that humanity is doomed when it comes to global warming, and both US and China going almost entirely green energy was the only hope. Now, that is not going to happen (if it ever was).
Reasonable breakdown. I wonder if he and Putin will clash when they actually sit down though.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
If I have learned one thing from Brexit and Trump victory its that the world is full of fecking dimwits

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
So did anyone make money from it?
Yes. Around 300 euro. And that's mostly because online betting is difficult from my country, so I couldn't be bothered and only had limited credit. With easy acces I probably would've made a couple of grand. In these type of situations you could probaly put blind money on history repeating itself on forehand, without thinking or knowing the odds, and it would probably still be a +EV bet.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
So did anyone make money from it?
Know a few who have made serious dough.

On a personal note I cannot get over seeing Hillary Clinton hit 1.09 on Betfair and watching millions go down on her to win.

This is not your guy sitting in his front room putting £5 on United to win. This was heavy traders trading. On Betfair £199,951,918 was gambled on it.

£80million went down last night. The biggest market ever was £113million on Brexit.

Your Typical premier fixture will trade 5 million. A good tennis match will do 12million - cricket about 40 million.

This was something to watch and the market was ahead of media all the time as regards reacting to the data.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
That's a pretty stupid, broad statement.

I know plenty of American women who are outraged and outright embarrassed that a man like that was able to run, I haven't spoken to them since he won but no doubt they'll be disgusted at the outcome.

America is a country with a much higher class divide than any other developed country on earth, and much like Brexit Trump was able to get to those poorer and less educated folk who don't really see these things as significant, but it doesn't mean a hell of a lot of women don't think it was disgraceful.
Except the poor and uneducated will stay poor and uneducated.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I'm failing to process it.

I fell asleep, after a long day, when the general feeling was still dominated by the polls.

I woke up to this.

JoaquinJoaquin

I think the biggest concern for America going forward is going to be race relations. Can already see alot of minorities are feeling doomed and trapped, This will only get worse if Trump continues in the same vein as his campaign. Trump needs to find a way to smooth relations and help minorities or I can really see potential riots etc in the future.

Must say though, I was shocked at the number of Women who voted for Trump. I seen that 67% of White women voted for Trump, very shocked at that. But then again, I suppose i'm not...

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't know why some are keen to downplay this election.
If you're a progressive in America, this is a fecking disaster.
think of all the policy reversals, think of all the policies the GOP will pursue?
Lastly, think of the supreme court judges?

MTF

As @Raoul said in the main election thread, there's a decent probability of a recession in 2017 off of this. Because either he spits out a credible economic plan and team until January, or I don't see companies putting capital down on any sort of expansion efforts, or consumers not holding back on spending (there's been a sense that they've already been holding back ahead of the election).

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Drumpf really just need to do one thing to be a pretty good president, make education affordable and available.

It is really shocking how hard it is for a middle class family to put their kids through college in the US, how this has been allowed to go on is amazing. The entire country was founded on the idea of upward class mobility, yet they've done their best to ensure that it doesn't happen.

binary bot
Yes. Around 300 euro. And that's mostly because online betting is difficult from my country, so I couldn't be bothered and only had limited credit. With easy acces I probably would've made a couple of grand. In these type of situations you could probaly put blind money on history repeating itself on forehand, without thinking or knowing the odds, and it would probably still be a +EV bet.
I was tempted but didn't in the end.

Like Brexit, I find it almost more shocking that so many polls, predictions and bookies were so far out than the actual outcome of the result.

Revan

Assumptionman
I'm failing to process it.

I fell asleep, after a long day, when the general feeling was still dominated by the polls.

I woke up to this.
Same as in Brexit, a lot of people lied in the polls in order to not be categorized as racists and bigots. Nate Silver warned us about that, and he gave Hillary just 71.6% chance of winning, despite that she won his polls in all of Michigan, Penssylvania, Wisconsin, Florida, New Hampshire and North Carolina (in the first three by a significant margin).

The polls were wrong because the data on the polls didn't come from the same distribution as the votes came.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
I don't know why some are keen to downplay this election.
If you're a progressive in America, this is a fecking disaster.
think of all the policy reversals, think of all the policies the GOP will pursue?
Lastly, think of the supreme court judges?

I f**king love you. Call it as it is. None of this shad own boxing. It's a disaster for what America Stands for.

Adisa

Drumpf really just need to do one thing to be a pretty good president, make education affordable and available.

It is really shocking how hard it is for a middle class family to put their kids through college in the US, how this has been allowed to go on is amazing. The entire country was founded on the idea of upward class mobility, yet they've done their best to ensure that it doesn't happen.
With a GOP controlled House and Senate, affordable education? :lol:

podurban2

Same as in Brexit, a lot of people lied in the polls in order to not be categorized as racists and bigots. Nate Silver warned us about that, and he gave Hillary just 71.6% chance of winning, despite that she won his polls in all of Michigan, Penssylvania, Wisconsin, Florida, New Hampshire and North Carolina (in the first three by a significant margin).

The polls were wrong because the data on the polls didn't come from the same distribution as the votes came.
Spot on. Understandable too with the hate shown towards Brexit & Trump voters.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
That is what you said. A sweeping generalisation.
No, you suggested that I implied that American women don't care. There lies the nuance. I said they didn't care as much as we thought/hoped/expected to, not that they didn't care at all.

podurban2

To be fair, I never understood why racist people don't like to be called racists.
Calling a person a racist for voting for Brexit or Trump is bigotry in itself. I support neither but I support the right to vote, and not being slandered.

Siorac

With your beloved Obama for the last 8 years and about every president before him :lol:
Well this was a nonsensical answer. That even Obama didn't attempt to touch the problem of education just reinforces how unlikely Trump is to do anything about it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
With your beloved Obama for the last 8 years and about every president before him :lol:
This is the kind of barmy anti-logic that got Trump into power.

Since when does the failure of the Democrats to fully realise something that is in keeping with their political ideals mean that a better outcome will be more likely with the Republicans in power? That literally makes no sense whatsoever.

It's the equivalent of saying that if Guardiola fails to deliver the tiki taka trophies then Big Sam's the man to do it because... he's not Guardiola...

Last edited:

Siorac

Calling a person a racist for voting for Brexit or Trump is bigotry in itself. I support neither but I support the right to vote, and not being slandered.
Calling someone racist for voting for Trump might be deemed slander since we have no way of knowing for sure.

However, anyone who votes for Trump definitely condones racism. By voting for him, you enable and accept racism. There's no getting around to it because he doesn't fecking hide it. He's basically proud of being xenophobic and racist. It's not a secret.

Adisa

Since when does the failure of the Democrats to fully realise something that is in keeping with their political ideals mean that a better outcome will be more likely with the Republicans in power? That literally makes no sense whatsoever.
The sad part as far as education is concerned is, I think it was an area Clinton truly cared about.

Revan

Assumptionman
It isn't, considered that the primary reason for voting Trump and Brexit was bigotry, racism and white supremacy. Calling a spade a spade isn't bigotry.

Let's not joke ourselves, people didn't vote Trump because of his policies and economics or other values. They voted him because of Muslims and Mexicans. People didn't vote Brexit because they thought that UK will be better economically, but because it will stop 'immigrants/Muslims getting your jobs'.

By people I don't mean all of them. Just the absolute majority of them.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover

I didn't say that he will do it, or has promised to do it, but that he should do it.

Fact is that no one has ever done it before, even though they were all "hopey and changey". If he doesn't do it he has done exactly as much as the ones before him, feck all. For all this solidarity and brilliant progressive politics we were promised with Obama for the last 8 years really feck all has happened. Education is still unavailable to most people, the poor has gotten poorer, and the divide between the rich and the middle class and the income disparity has grown further.

podurban2

It isn't, considered that the primary reason for voting Trump and Brexit was bigotry, racism and white supremacy. Calling a spade a spade isn't bigotry.

Let's not joke ourselves, people didn't vote Trump because of his policies and economics or other values. They voted him because of Muslims and Mexicans. People didn't vote Brexit because they thought that UK will be better economically, but because it will stop 'immigrants/Muslims getting your jobs'.

By people I don't mean all of them. Just the absolute majority of them.
I know plenty of people in the United States who are not close to being racist, yet still believe Trump would make a better president than Hillary. The U.S just had a black president for 8 years, to now call a majority of their citizens for racists is bigotry.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I assume the republicans have retained control of the Senate and the House of Representatives?

Ironic that a president that can finally make changes had been elected, but who is so full of empty rhetoric.

A climate change denier. The loudest proponent that Obama was born in Kenya, (after releasing his long form birth certificate, Trump demanded he release his passport applications and records), although Trump himself hasn't released his tax returns.

Against Obamacare, called for the death penalty to be reintroduced in states where it is illegal, he hates windturbines, calling them windmills, wanted to go into Libya, take out Gaddafi, take their oil, then later said he never wanted to go into Libya...

Anti-vaxer
Climate change denier.

Not to mention possible sexual assaulter.

Only 8 years to go

Last edited:

Adisa

I didn't say that he will do it, or has promised to do it, but that he should do it.

Fact is that no one has ever done it before, even though they were all "hopey and changey". If he doesn't do it he has done exactly as much as the ones before him, feck all. For all this solidarity and brilliant progressive politics we were promised with Obama for the last 8 years really feck all has happened. Education is still unavailable to most people, the poor has gotten poorer, and the divide between the rich and the middle class and the income disparity has grown further.
You think the ones that did not do it was for a lack of trying?
Education is always going to be far more likely in a Democratic controlled chamber than GOP.
It's not a subject that even registers as far as GOP is concerned.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

You seem to think the President has a lot more power than he actually does. The Republicans in Congress have been obstructive on everything you're talking about.

To even think it's possible for stuff to improve with a R President working with a R Congress and Senate would be funny if it wasn't so utterly tragic.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I know plenty of people in the United States who are not close to being racist, yet still believe Trump would make a better president than Hillary. The U.S just had a black president for 8 years, to now call a majority of their citizens for racists is bigotry.
They just voted for an openly racist President.

Status
Not open for further replies.