The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

nimic

something nice
Scout
He's declared war on Fox 'cos he plans to scoop up their viewers post-presidency. Imagine the schedule on TrumpTV:

9am: Your Favourite ex-President
9pm: The Sooty Show
10pm: World's Deadliest Anti-fascists
11pm: America's Next Top Mistress
4am: Triumph of the Will
6am: From Russia with Lust
7am: Ivanka's Jewellery Store featuring MAGA Merchandise
8pm: The Black and Black Minstrel Show
That was pretty much the plan for 2016. He never planned on actually winning the election, and he'd probably be richer now if he had lost (though he'll still have that chance after losing to Biden this year).

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The family's already got a show of sorts on Facebook, apparently. So maybe that'd carry on after the election (defeat).

nimic

something nice
Scout
He's been pushing OANN a lot, so maybe they will turn out to own shares in that. Alternatively, he could just be pushing them because he's extremely vain and narcissistic and they keep telling him how great he is.

SteveJ

Scout
Or he'll sue them for using his name. :D Wouldn't be the first time he's done that.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Because, you know, when your country is in the grip of a lethal pandemic, this is the sort of stuff you hope your Dear Leader is waking up with on his mind...

I have never before seen any politician talk about tv ratings. His obsession with that stuff is clear, and he seems to have more of a passion about that than any political issue. Is he actually right about those ratings though, or does he just make them up? And if he is right, how does he know? Does he have staffers compiling this for him instead of making proper briefings (that he wouldn't read, I know), or is this the one thing he can be bothered investing time in himself? (Apart from watching tv, of course.)
Don't know about an invasion of Germany, but Putin stated multiple times, that he wants to bring the states of the former russian/soviet sphere of influence back under "russian control" (foreign policy and economic convergence).
So the Baltic states (incl. Finland), Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary, the Balkan states, Ukraine and Eastern Germany have no right to choose their own path and allies.
As an aside, not sure why you listed Finland there. They were never in Russia's sphere of influence, but rather very much tried to stay neutral, not belonging to west or east, to not alarm Russia.

SteveJ

Scout
Secret Service members who helped organize Pence Arizona trip test positive for COVID-19

'Multiple Secret Service agents tasked with planning Vice President Mike Pence's trip to Arizona this week were reportedly removed from the trip after showing signs of coronavirus infection.

The Washington Post reported that as many as 10 Secret Service and other law enforcement agents working on the trip were replaced after showing symptoms of the virus, and at least one tested positive for the disease.

A USSS spokesperson declined to confirm that any agents were removed from the trip over COVID-19 concerns, and told The Hill in an email that the agency "continues to operate in compliance with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommendations through the U.S. Secret Service Office of Safety, Health and Environmental Programs."

“The health and safety of our workforce, their families, and that of our protectees remains the agency’s highest priority," they added.

A spokesperson for the vice president also declined to confirm the agents' removal, and slammed the Washington Post in a statement to the newspaper for covering the story.

“Instead of highlighting Vice President Pence’s concerted effort with Task Force members to visit and support states with new cases, The Washington Post is choosing to use its pages to report on a story of little use to every day Americans attempting to learn more about how coronavirus affects them or the Administration’s response efforts,” Devin O'Malley said.'

(The Hill)

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
He's declared war on Fox 'cos he plans to scoop up their viewers post-presidency. Imagine the schedule on TrumpTV:

9am: Your Favourite ex-President
9pm: The Sooty Show
10pm: World's Deadliest Anti-fascists
11pm: America's Next Top Mistress
4am: Triumph of the Will
6am: From Russia with Lust
7am: Ivanka's Jewellery Store featuring MAGA Merchandise
8pm: The Black and Black Minstrel Show
The Lone Ranger
The Mask
LAW AND ORDER

and hopefully...

Lost

Drifter

American
Trump Insider: He's "Despondent," Not In A Good Place Mentally Over 2020 Chances

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Its indicitive that he's more obsessed with raiting than his own troops dying. How can he not get attacked for this?
Whats the point.

I think he could go out and point a gun at someone and get away with it these days.
He is literally not held accountable for anything he says or does.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He might be a little too busy with legal issues.
You think so?

Who's gonna go after him?

He's got a wall of Rs protecting him, he goes down they all goes down. Half of American is Republicans, you'd think they want one of them crucified and they'll just stand around and do nothing? At this rate they're already at accomplice level at the very least.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
You think so?

He's got a wall of Rs protecting him, he goes down they all goes down. Half of American is Republicans, you'd think they want one of them crucified and they'll just stand around and do nothing? At this rate they're already at accomplice level at the very least.
It all depends if Trump loses the senate for the Republicans. If they don’t have the senate, Trump and a whole list of Republicans are absolutely fecked.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
You think so?

They can’t protect him from the DOJ once he’s out of office. Besides, the moment a clear path to prosecution is set upon they will jump ship like the rats that they are.

Not that I’m all that optimistic on that front...

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Assuming that Biden wins in November (fingers crossed), what do the American posters in here think about the electoral system? Do you expect that the democrats, once they are in charge again, will finally adjust it?

I mean, if anything, Trump's term shows that many democratic mechanisms in the system didn't work as expected. He effectively circumvented the division of powers multiple times, the impeachment was hopeless because his fellow republicans in the remaining institutions protected him out of self interest und the inofficial fourth power in form of the media looked completely toothless since his voters don't really care too much about the truth. I'm obviously living on the other side of the world but it seems to me that the criticism of the constitution gained traction in recent years. May it be the thing with the electoral college, the two party system or the "the winners takes it all" concept in elections, I've the feeling more and more people are complaining about this stuff. Just recently, there was a Patriot Act episode about the system, exemplarily.

The Firestarter

Assuming that Biden wins in November (fingers crossed), what do the American posters in here think about the electoral system? Do you expect that the democrats, once they are in charge again, will finally adjust it?

I mean, if anything, Trump's term shows that many democratic mechanisms in the system didn't work as expected. He effectively circumvented the division of powers multiple times, the impeachment was hopeless because his fellow republicans in the remaining institutions protected him out of self interest und the inofficial fourth power in form of the media looked completely toothless since his voters don't really care too much about the truth. I'm obviously living on the other side of the world but it seems to me that the criticism of the constitution gained traction in recent years. May it be the thing with the electoral college, the two party system or the "the winners takes it all" concept in elections, I've the feeling more and more people are complaining about this stuff. Just recently, there was a Patriot Act episode about the system, exemplarily.
None of the smaller states are going to just relinquish their power by removing the electoral college. I am afraid that's what America is stuck with for at least half a century.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
None of the smaller states are going to just relinquish their power by removing the electoral college. I am afraid that's what America is stuck with for at least half a century.
It could be done quicker if they consolidate their power quickly like the Republicans would. If they hold the house and senate they could bring in election reform and election protection legislation to combat the voter suppression and corruption being carried out by Republicans. If they can this legislation in place and watertight before the midterms, Republicans would find it hard to ever get in again without becoming more moderate.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
That was pretty much the plan for 2016. He never planned on actually winning the election, and he'd probably be richer now if he had lost (though he'll still have that chance after losing to Biden this year).
Not a chance. He'd be caught up in too much litigation post his Presidency and he's also pissed off a lot of people, some of which were very close to him (like Cohen). The Epstein thing isn't going away and it's the reason Barr is trying to fix the SDNY before the elections. Outside of America, I can't see any of his businesses doing well. Don't be surprised if he's broke 18 to 24 months after November.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
You think so?

Trump is a criminal and trust me, most of these Republicans are towing his line because he and or Russia has dirt on them...all of them. Even now, they see the writing on the wall and they still aren't saying how much of a disaster he is. They're all scared and the latest polls look like they're losing the one thing they thought they had for quite some time...the Senate.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

There's no way to overhaul the Electoral college without winning 3/4 of the House and Senate and 3/4 of the state legislatures. Until a Republican loses the White House while winning the popular vote, Republicans won't support changing the Electoral College. For them, they have a structural advantage in the Senate and Electoral College that gives them more power based on their strength in rural states that is unlikely to change. There's the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact that is intended to provide a workaround to the Electoral College by getting enough states to agree to support the popular vote winner, regardless of the results in their state. Even if this were to pass in enough states to be successful, it would face legal challenges.

If Democrats can make progress in NC, Georgia, and Texas, the issues with the Electoral College will be less of a concern. The larger concern is the imbalance of the Senate. The six senators from California, Texas, and New York represent the same number of people as 62 senators representing smaller states. One step towards remedying it would be adding DC and Puerto Rico as states.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Is there are any real drive among Democrats to really address these problems though? I'm sure they will agree wit the issue, but I have yet to see the sort of determination required to move quickly on these things. (As someone mentioned above, the Democrats would have to get a majority in the House and Senate in November, and then get all the changes done before the next midterms.)

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Is there are any real drive among Democrats to really address these problems though? I'm sure they will agree wit the issue, but I have yet to see the sort of determination required to move quickly on these things. (As someone mentioned above, the Democrats would have to get a majority in the House and Senate in November, and then get all the changes done before the next midterms.)
The dems are closer to European left ideology, but they aren't angel themselves.

US won't suddenly become an utopia

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
There's no way to overhaul the Electoral college without winning 3/4 of the House and Senate and 3/4 of the state legislatures. Until a Republican loses the White House while winning the popular vote, Republicans won't support changing the Electoral College. For them, they have a structural advantage in the Senate and Electoral College that gives them more power based on their strength in rural states that is unlikely to change. There's the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact that is intended to provide a workaround to the Electoral College by getting enough states to agree to support the popular vote winner, regardless of the results in their state. Even if this were to pass in enough states to be successful, it would face legal challenges.

If Democrats can make progress in NC, Georgia, and Texas, the issues with the Electoral College will be less of a concern. The larger concern is the imbalance of the Senate. The six senators from California, Texas, and New York represent the same number of people as 62 senators representing smaller states. One step towards remedying it would be adding DC and Puerto Rico as states.
I don't think DC should be a state. It should be folded back into Maryland like Arlington was to Virginia. The constitution mandated a federal zone for government, I'm guessing to prevent one state from hosting it (@Carolina Red ...help?), so making DC a state contravenes this. Puerto Rico (and Guam, US Virgin Islands, US Minor Outlying Islands, American Samoa and Northern Mariana Islands) is a different situation. Each of them should be considered for statehood.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The dems are closer to European left ideology, but they aren't angel themselves.

I dunno, the way I see it, most of the democrats are nearly as right wing economically as our traditional right wing parties.

Funnily enough our biggest right wing party are called the liberals.

Carolina Red

Staff
I don't think DC should be a state. It should be folded back into Maryland like Arlington was to Virginia. The constitution mandated a federal zone for government, I'm guessing to prevent one state from hosting it (@Carolina Red ...help?), so making DC a state contravenes this. Puerto Rico (and Guam, US Virgin Islands, US Minor Outlying Islands, American Samoa and Northern Mariana Islands) is a different situation. Each of them should be considered for statehood.
DC could still be made a state, with the business and residential areas being granted statehood and a small federal enclave kept around the WH, Mall/monuments, and government buildings that would retain their independent status.

Think Vatican City within Rome.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

I wasn't talking about their general political agenda, but about the changes related to elections that had been discussed above my post. The Democrats would need to act quickly if they really do want to make some of those changes after November, so I was wondering if they are sufficently interested in the subject to immediately jump into action.
I dunno, the way I see it, most of the democrats are nearly as right wing economically as our traditional right wing parties.

Funnily enough our biggest right wing party are called the liberals.
The VVD (those liberals) are only economically right wing though. In terms of the social axis, they are indeed very liberal, pretty much the polar opposite of social conservatism. (Although they have moved right on migration since Bolkenstein in the 90s realized there were votes in nationalism.) So liberals is actually a good label for them: they're neoliberal economically and liberal socially - quite a lot like the overall line of the Democratic Party in the US. (Acknowledging that the two-party system in the US creates such big umbrellas, that party members actually hold an enormously wide range of political opinions.)

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I wasn't talking about their general political agenda, but about the changes related to elections that had been discussed above my post. The Democrats would need to act quickly if they really do want to make some of those changes after November, so I was wondering if they are sufficently interested in the subject to immediately jump into action.
Fundamental electoral reform is going to be a low priority on their agenda. They will have to rebuild the government from the ground up in the midst of an economic collapse.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Fundamental electoral reform is going to be a low priority on their agenda. They will have to rebuild the government from the ground up in the midst of an economic collapse.
Understandable, but a pity - also because the Dems might have more time to rebuild the government their way if election rules were changed to favour the GOP less!

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Spending the day golfing before he heads to the Rushmore super spreader.

Status
Not open for further replies.