The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
This 3 month transition thing is a danger to the US with a petulant child like Trump in charge. Surely doing way more damage than good with all these firings, hirings and other decisions/changes.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
When the Supreme Court declines to take up the case or otherwise dismiss it, will Trump:

(a) Tweet about Fake Judges and Fake Courts?
(b) Dismiss reports of the Supreme Court's decision as Fake News?
(c) Blame it all on Giuliani's incompetence?
(d) Ignore it and attempt to distract attention via a spree of mad, ranting tweets about Hillary, Obama, and shower water-pressure?
I have no doubt in my mind we will see Mr Giuliani rolling under a bus with a fat wotsit running off in the background when all this goes pete tong.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
people cant afford food... but they can afford to buy and run what look like mostly new cars and even 4X4 vehicles... its a strange country
I imagine they can’t afford to get out of their Car finance.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Nope. It's a terrible system made far worse by covid. It is a trifecta of public health crisis + mental health crisis + states refusing to do the right thing.
The USA also has the world's highest rate of incarceration: 665 people per 100,000. This excludes China, who have millions locked up in concentration camps in Uighur province.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Thursday that the U.S. will regard the Palestinian-led boycott movement as "anti-Semitic" and cut off government support for any organizations taking part in it, a step that could deny funding to Palestinian and international human rights groups.

Pompeo announced the initiative during a visit to Israel in which he is expected to make the first-ever appearance by a secretary of state in an Israeli settlement in the occupied West Bank. Pompeo said he would also visit the Golan Heights, which Israel seized from Syria in the 1967 war.

"We will regard the global, anti-Israel BDS campaign as anti-Semitic," Pompeo said, referring to the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/israel-pompeo-labels-bds-movement-anti-semitic/

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
To be fair, once they're encarcerated they don't but certain rights should probably be inaliencable (minimum wage, the right to vote, access to education and healthcare, etc)
I agree with access to healthcare, education etc to rehabilitate themselves but depending on the seriousness of the crime they shouldn't be allowed the same luxuries as a regular citizen.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I agree with access to healthcare, education etc to rehabilitate themselves but depending on the seriousness of the crime they shouldn't be allowed the same luxuries as a regular citizen.
I'm pretty sure the iron bars, pinstripe mattress and stainless steel toilet take care of that notion. If not, then the pruno should just about do it.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Did you quote the wrong post?
No I didn't. I've had this conversation with a few of my colleagues and I'm always interested in knowing why they think prisoners should be given the same rights as those who live a decent life and don't break the law. Didn't they give that right up the minute they decide to hurt people with no remorse or thought of how damaging it could be to those people and their families ? It obviously depends on the seriousness of the crime but there's a reason why they're in jail and you're not.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
No I didn't. I've had this conversation with a few of my colleagues and I'm always interested in knowing why they think prisoners should be given the same rights as those who live a decent life and don't break the law. Didn't they give that right up the minute they decide to hurt people with no remorse or thought of how damaging it could be to those people and their families ? It obviously depends on the seriousness of the crime but there's a reason why they're in jail and you're not.
Alright. I was just pretty sure I didn't mention serial killers and rapists in my post. I haven't looked at the numbers, but I'm gonna stick my neck out here and say they don't make up the majority of your prison population. So I've no idea why you'd go there straight away.

I didn't say they should have the same rights as everyone else, but then they don't given they're, you know, imprisoned (and then I'd argue that the fact there are varying degrees of punishment for various crimes is precisely the way to take the seriousness of a crime into consideration, so get the strawmen out of here).
Anyway, the real issue I have is that you have a for-profit prison system where rich people benefit from people getting imprisoned because now they can exploit the prison population as a cheap labour force.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
It includes 40,000 people, for example, in jail for marijuana offenses. So, smoke weed and lose your right to vote (and get put in jail) - sounds a tad harsh don't you think?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
It includes 40,000 people, for example, in jail for marijuana offenses. So, smoke weed and lose your right to vote (and get put in jail) - sounds a tad harsh don't you think?
I actually think not only should weed smokers be allowed to vote, but they should be the only ones allowed to vote, and only after doing said deed.

entropy

They should also be allowed to own and run dispensaries or any business that deals with marijuana. States should make it a priority to invest and hire felons who have served time for bs drug charges. Almost all of these businesses are owned and run by white people and therein lies the fundamental problem or recurring theme in America. White people again profiting off the labour and trauma of black, poc, and indigenous people.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
people cant afford food... but they can afford to buy and run what look like mostly new cars and even 4X4 vehicles... its a strange country
1st world poverty. When you're poor, don't sell your car to make ends meet. Go for a drive.
It’s almost like a global pandemic and crushing economic downturn can lead to dramatic changes to peoples financial circumstances and finance/lease deals can’t easily be escaped from.

Status
Not open for further replies.