The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The crazy and galling fact is that Trump is kind of right .... if Trump had had the money and brains of BigTechPharmaEtc propping up his own campaign, he'd have won many more votes than he got. There is an enormous contingent in USA that supports his view and ethics, perhaps even a majority in an even fight.

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The crazy and galling fact is that Trum is kind of right .... if Trump had had the money and brains of BigTechPharmaEtc propping up his own campaign, he's have won many more votes than he got. There is an enormous contingent in USA that supports his view and ethics, perhaps even a majority in an even fight.
except I don't believe for a minute that Big Pharma spent that much against him. He has done feckall the last 4 years to lower drug prices, and Biden is coming in on a platform of lowering drug prices (not that I trust he will do anything).

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
except I don't believe for a minute that Big Pharma spent that much against him. He has done feckall the last 4 years to lower drug prices, and Biden is coming in on a platform of lowering drug prices (not that I trust he will do anything).
I read that all election advertising spend was over 2:1 in favour of Biden?
4:1 in favour of Hilary in 2016.

Point I'm making is if ad spend was equal, Trump most likely wins more votes.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The crazy and galling fact is that Trump is kind of right .... if Trump had had the money and brains of BigTechPharmaEtc propping up his own campaign, he'd have won many more votes than he got. There is an enormous contingent in USA that supports his view and ethics, perhaps even a majority in an even fight.
Define 'even fight' though. Trump has had four years on the highest podium spouting absolute bullshit and polluting the political and intellectual waters. He's only been building on what was already, but all the same, he's done so quite prodigiously. Would that be part of the even fight?

In my view, there are so many ways people try to gain an edge in politics that there just are no even fights; and so drilling it down to one element and looking at the fairness of that doesn't make much sense in the big picture.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
I read that all election advertising spend was over 2:1 in favour of Biden?
4:1 in favour of Hilary in 2016.

Point I'm making is if ad spend was equal, Trump most likely wins more votes.
I disagree. Trump spent significantly more in Georgia than Biden and lost. Biden massively outspent Trump in Florida and lost. Trump is incredibly polarising and there were few undecided voters coming into the campaign. People either liked/loved Trump or hated him.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Define 'even fight' though. Trump has had four years on the highest podium spouting absolute bullshit and polluting the political and intellectual waters. He's only been building on what was already, but all the same, he's done so quite prodigiously. Would that be part of the even fight?

In my view, there are so many ways people try to gain an edge in politics that there just are no even fights; and so drilling it down to one element and looking at the fairness of that doesn't make much sense in the big picture.
The fact that he has 70M votes, those 70M aren't going to go away with Trump. Trump is just the symptoms, not the sickness.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
An incoming administration already starts to staff up in preparation for taking over the government. Of course the government already has thousands of permanent personnel, but there are hundreds of senior positions that are appointed by the administration. Those people usually begin the work of getting up to speed with the latest in the specific departments they will take over months ahead. The senior most level of these people were listed by Biden a little over a week ago and were almost all working on a volunteer basis. But they still need support personnel more junior than them to work, and you can't suppose that all these people can afford to work for free. So a transition fund is set up and usually receives $10 million from the government, but clearly this time that money isn't coming in the next few weeks and yet they're trying to get staffed and get work done.

Thanks for the explanation.

Its also absolutely ludicrous. This is the USA. Not Bangladesh. This administration just won an election and they have to pay themsleves during the handover period. I am stunned at this.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Hate talk radio and right wing echo chambers repeat this, it's no wonder they believe it.
Yep - Limbaugh and his ilk really have a lot to answer for. Paving the way for what exploded in the Internet era. Some truly despicable "pioneer work" done there.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Mostly because it was so insane.
And now it has become normalized - bizarre as it sounds, but it really has when millions of people embrace those insane (irrational, devoid of logic or plain common sense) ideas.

Back then I think most of us considered it impossible that this sort of madness would rise to the surface and become a serious problem in a supposed developed, democratic society. But here we are. The most pessimistic bastards - who insisted that history is bound to repeat itself...unless - were right.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Also, on a general note - it's feckin' depressing to see the sheer scale of bot generated comments in any Twitter thread that has anything remotely to do with the election.

It's pollution - detrimental as feck to...everything: democracy, sanity, humanity, whathaveya.

And honest (if arguably a bit stupid, or at least naive, or uninformed) people keep responding to the bloody bots, generating further responses, etc.

Brave new world.
I’ve started a few threads and made a load of posts along the line that I believe social media is clearly making the world way more shitty than it would be otherwise. The majority of responses are always along the lines that extreme opinions are no more common these days, just more obvious. Surely that’s not true? How can anyone look at how toxic/insane online discourse has become and remain in denial about the real life consequences?!

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I imagine the other participants are relieved he's not taking part. And now they don't have to humour him anymore, because he'll be gone soon ... after turning the USA into an international laughing stock.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
"Stay tuned" - it's the type of shit twitter ITKs spout all summer which turns out to be either nothing or more vague nonsense. The quicker this cnut goes, the better.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
"Stay tuned" - it's the type of shit twitter ITKs spout all summer which turns out to be either nothing or more vague nonsense. The quicker this cnut goes, the better.
BOOM!

Was my favourite, when everyone had exclusive revealing stories that were going to bring Trump down.. I think it was William Legate or maybe Dworkin that always had loads of tease tweets of a picture of a cannon with the fuse getting burned down more and more until the final revealing Tweet came..

And it was always a massive let down.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Gonna announce the Sancho transfer any moment now...
The greatest transfer deal in history. Many people say it couldn't be done. No other president could have got this deal over the line.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The greatest transfer deal in history. Many people say it couldn't be done. No other president could have got this deal over the line.
Three days later it turns out his legal team screwed up the paperwork and he's going to City.

Status
Not open for further replies.