The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revan

Assumptionman
I know plenty of people in the United States who are not close to being racist, yet still believe Trump would make a better president than Hillary. The U.S just had a black president for 8 years, to now call a majority of their citizens for racists is bigotry.
Trump is a racist, there is no beating around the bush here. Or at the very least, he desperately tried to appear a racist.

Voting for him, at best case means that you condone racism, at worst case that you are racist.

And let's be fair, just that they say that they are not close to being racists, it doesn't make them so. But we have had this debate to death.

botond

Looking forward to Kanye West 2020 :lol:
Biggest question for the rest of the world is the climate change stance

The Firestarter

When the police become even more heavy handed they will regret it.
My thoughts exactly. If it is bad enough in certain states already, I expect it now to become worse and more widespread. A lot of officers will feel their behavior validated. America just took an U-turn.

podurban2

Trump is a racist, there is no beating around the bush here. Or at the very least, he desperately tried to appear a racist.

Voting for him, at best case means that you condone racism, at worst case that you are racist.

And let's be fair, just that they say that they are not close to being racists, it doesn't make them so. But we have had this debate to death.
To be fair, it says more about Hillary that she couldn't win against the worst candidate in the history of the U.S. I also think the debate is done to death, so let's agree to disagree.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I didn't say that he will do it, or has promised to do it, but that he should do it.

Fact is that no one has ever done it before, even though they were all "hopey and changey". If he doesn't do it he has done exactly as much as the ones before him, feck all. For all this solidarity and brilliant progressive politics we were promised with Obama for the last 8 years really feck all has happened. Education is still unavailable to most people, the poor has gotten poorer, and the divide between the rich and the middle class and the income disparity has grown further.
Education in the US is a huge business and from what I understand the Republicans don't want to spend more money toward social policies particularly toward something like education who is even more expensive than the military.

Edit: To make education affordable, the US army would have to cut its budget drastically and it's not happening.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

I agree with this. It scares me now with the french presidency not that long now and the far right group F.N being tipped to reach the 2nd round of voting with ease. The world is going nuts

Smores

Thats nonsense. Like with Brexit people can agree on the issues rather than the prejudice. Condone is far too strong of a word, they may greatly oppose his racist statements but have discounted them in their overall consideration. Same with his misogyny

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
It really is amazeballs though that the availability of education for the masses, ensuring upwards class mobility and making good use of a countries biggest resource - it's people, never has been seen as important in the good ol' US of A.

Such an obvious thing to adress and try to mend. Yet there seems to be zero interest for the subject matter in the US.

@JPRouve , yes I know about the cost. Yet investing in your own people is probably the single most benefitial use of money for any nation. The availability of absolutely free and high-class education is the single greatest thing we've done in Norway. You can start out as a hobo living on the street and go through 8 years of school to become a psychologist entirely free, or even better, you actually get paid to do it.

Siorac

I assume the republicans have regained control of the Senate and the House of Representatives?

Ironic that a president that can finally make changes had been elected, but who is so full of empty rhetoric.

A climate change denier. the loudest proponent that Obama was born in Kenya, (after releasing his long form birth certificate, Trump demanded he release his passport applications and records), although Trump himself hasn't released his tax returns.

Against Obamacare, called for the death penalty to be reintroduced in states where it is illegal, hr hates windturbines, calling them windmills, wanted to go into Libya, take out Gaddafi, take their oil, then later said he never wanted to go into Libya...

Anti-vaxer
Climate change denier.

Not to mention possible sexual assaulter.

Only 8 years to go
Ugh. Spelled out like that is horrifying.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Thats nonsense. Like with Brexit people can agree on the issues rather than the prejudice. Condone is far too strong of a word, they may greatly oppose his racist statements but have discounted them in their overall consideration. Same with his misogyny
Discounting his racism means they're ok with it.

JPRouve

Scout
I agree with this. It scares me now with the french presidency not that long now and the far right group F.N being tipped to reach the 2nd round of voting with ease. The world is going nuts
We didn't vote for them a month after the Bataclan, so I doubt that we are going to do it now, also people seem to be behind Juppé who wasn't liked because he looked authoritarian and now they seem to want him because of that.

Moby

Dick
Even though I was never a big fan of Clinton and her campaign, especially the way she handled the debates most of the time, it should have been such a no brainer given who she was up against. All we can probably hope for now is, and I would say it is probably rather likely, that Trump is more of a hands off president and lets his cabinet handle most of the policies. He can be the face of it all for all he wants but it would be scary if he starts stamping his authority.

Anyone who has followed Trump previously in his business ventures - what kind of a leader is he? Is he usually passive when it comes to making big decisions for his corporation letting his staff do most of the job or the other way round?

The Firestarter

There was a movie called Idiocracy , the America it describes does not seem so unbelievable right now. Fact of the matter is, no republican believed such kind of rhetoric would achieve anything in the 21st century. They will certainly take note now.

Reckless Full Back

Doesn't get forward much
I still can't process this and I'm failing to understand how this happened. Both candidates were bad. I watched all the debates. There was a candidate with a very clear plan on one side and the other side had no clear plan and seemed to be making it up as thing progressed. Trump's tax plan doesn't make sense to me. Slashing taxes to reduce the budget deficit and boost the economy. Bringing jobs back to the US, repealing Obama care, his position on Nato. I'm not sure of the logistics behind a lot of his statements.
A very small part of me is glad that he won. Now we can see him massively fail, and he will finally shut up.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Even though I was never a big fan of Clinton and her campaign, especially the way she handled the debates most of the time, it should have been such a no brainer given who she was up against. All we can probably hope for now is, and I would say it is probably rather likely, that Trump is more of a hands off president and lets his cabinet handle most of the policies. He can be the face of it all for all he wants but it would be scary if he starts stamping his authority.

Anyone who has followed Trump previously in his business ventures - what kind of a leader is he? Is he usually passive when it comes to making big decisions for his corporation letting his staff do most of the job or the other way round?
Considering his cabinet will contain the likes of Newt Gingrich I'm not sure that's a good thing to hope for either.

Smores

In a race of two poor candidates, nothing is further from the truth than asserting their respective voters were 100% okay with everything they've said or proposed.

Moby

Dick
Considering his cabinet will contain the likes of Newt Gingrich I'm not sure that's a good thing to hope for either.
I have very little knowledge on the history of people that his cabinet consists and yes I've been hearing they're not exactly a ray of hope but surely they would be able to do a better job than a man as clueless as Trump?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
In a race of two poor candidates, nothing is further from the truth than asserting their respective voters were 100% okay with everything they've said or proposed.
His two biggest 'policies' are building a wall across Mexican border and booting out every Muslim.

Revan

Assumptionman
Not really, considering that both Trump campaign and Brexit campaign were built on racism and bigotry. It wasn't that they were just small parts of those campaigns, in fact they were the largest building blocks there.

Take the wall, Mexicans and Muslims out of the Trump campaign and there remains nothing but 'Hillary is a nasty evil woman'.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I have very little knowledge on the history of people that his cabinet consists and yes I've been hearing they're not exactly a ray of hope but surely they would be able to do a better job than a man as clueless as Trump?
I admire your optimism.

JPRouve

Scout
@JPRouve , yes I know about the cost. Yet investing in your own people is probably the single most benefitial use of money for any nation. The availability of absolutely free and high-class education is the single greatest thing we've done in Norway. You can start out as a hobo living on the street and go through 8 years of school to become a psychologist entirely free, or even better, you actually get paid to do it
You have a little population and a lot of petrol, so don't use Norway as an example. And the people who voted for Trump are if I'm not mistaken for a large part huge patriots who are proud of the power of the US Army, go tell them that you are cutting the US Army budget in half to send Afro Americans and Latinos to college.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Can we not just stop white men from voting?

They're really bad at it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I still can't process this and I'm failing to understand how this happened. Both candidates were bad. I watched all the debates. There was a candidate with a very clear plan on one side and the other side had no clear plan and seemed to be making it up as thing progressed. Trump's tax plan doesn't make sense to me. Slashing taxes to reduce the budget deficit and boost the economy. Bringing jobs back to the US, repealing Obama care, his position on Nato. I'm not sure of the logistics behind a lot of his statements.
A very small part of me is glad that he won. Now we can see him massively fail, and he will finally shut up.
Protest votes maybe? Didn't CNN just show a poll that suggested 60% unvaourable towards Trump?

podurban2

CF took hundreds of millions of dollars from Saudi Arabia and Qatar, two countries that represent slavery, racism, and misogony. She also called black people "needy".

I.e she either supports or condones racism and sexism, and so do her voters. Or is that OTT?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
CF took billions of dollars from Saudi Arabia and Qatar, two countries that represent slavery, racism, and misogony. She also called black people "needy".

I.e she either supports or condones racism and sexism, and so do her voters. Or is that OTT?
The foundation took donations and did good things with the money, that's in no way the same as casting a vote for those people to gain/maintain power.

Red Viking

He is the aggressive type of leader. which means he will want to have an hands on approach to everything and this type of leader is notoriously hard to deal with, as they will do what ever they want most of the time as they seem to think they know every answer to all questions. He have said he knows best to a lot of issues during this election, which seems to confirm he is exactly this type.

Moby

Dick
That was one of the biggest worries about electing Trump, you just don't know what he's being serious about and what he isn't, especially as he changes his tune every day. He's so unpredictable. Even if you didn't agree with Clinton you at least had a decent idea of what she would have done.

jimmyb2000

The foundation took donations and did good things with the money, that's in no way the same as casting a vote for those people to gain/maintain power.
Jimmy Savile also raised a great deal of money for charity.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I don't think there's any chance of him following through with that. Much more likely to be false promises to win votes.
Yes, I agree, but those were his major issues and can't be conveniently removed from the equation when asking why people voted for him.

podurban2

Pretty naive to think the countries wanted to do good in the world with those donations.

JPRouve

Scout
That was one of the biggest worries about electing Trump, you just don't know what he's being serious about and what he isn't, especially as he changes his tune every day. He's so unpredictable. Even if you didn't agree with Clinton you at least had a decent idea of what she would have done.
I could be wrong but I think that she is as aggressive as Trump is portrayed. For some reason I convinced myself that she was going to start wars on all continents.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
At what cost, what were the donators getting out of it??????

Siorac

There was a movie called Idiocracy , the America it describes does not seem so unbelievable right now. Fact of the matter is, no republican believed such kind of rhetoric would achieve anything in the 21st century. They will certainly take note now.
It really does seem unbelievable because in the film they went and put the smartest man in the country in charge when things got bad. That will never ever happen in the United States.

Status
Not open for further replies.