The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
So Cohen gave Daniels $130,000 without Trump and his campaign knowing.
These lot take us for fools.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
It's more the seediness of it all rather than a question of coercion @berbatrick
Sadly if his voters cared about seediness, he wouldn't be near power. And I hope metoo doesn't chase Trump over this, it isn't comparable to the actual harassment that has been the focus so far.

Mick1991

Sadly if his voters cared about seediness, he wouldn't be near power. And I hope metoo doesn't chase Trump over this, it isn't comparable to the actual harassment that has been the focus so far.
Agree to an extent, but it plays nicely into the belief that he views women as things to be seen and not heard, they don't get to play by the same rules etc.

I'm not going to pretend that it is as bad as some of the more horrific stories of the #metoo movement, but it might well fall into their purview.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I think she’s wanted an excuse to get out of this shit show for a long while.
In 2005, the newlywed Melania Trump addressed a business class at New York University. A student asked the supermodel if she would still be with Donald Trump if he was not rich.

“If I weren’t beautiful, do you think he’d be with me?” she quipped.
She's made a deal, eyes open.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Of course, he also now given her an exit clause though. Just depends how watertight the prenup is. Judging by Trump’s lawyers, he’s probably set to lose everything.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
It seems someone inconsequential, but when you frame it within the context of the MeToo movement and Trump's other accusers, its just another thing that will turn women voters away from him.
Will it though?

Republican women seemingly don't give a shit.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
So Cohen gave Daniels $130,000 without Trump and his campaign knowing.
These lot take us for fools.
It's such a blatantly obvious lie to cover him from the campaign funds issue. Surely nobody will buy it.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/14/politics/fewer-republicans-more-independents-no-parties/index.html

People are defecting from the GOP. But not to the Democrats

(CNN)Fewer people say they consider themselves Republicans, according to recent polling. But they're not becoming Democrats instead.

That's the conclusion of an analysis of Gallup data by Marquette Law professor and pollster Charles Franklin. He found that while there is a slight increase in Democratic Party support among Americans, more Americans are just becoming pure independents.
To be fair, this has happened after past presidential elections. In 2005 and 2013, the number of pure independents also increased.
But this year's uptick swing to pure independents is slightly larger. It's enough of a shift that it could indicate some new erosion in the Republican base.

For the last decade and a half, people have been moving away from being solidly one party or the other. But they've often instead moved to being Republican-leaning or Democrat-leaning independents. Since 2004, independents rose from 29% to 44% of voters but mostly because of the increase in leaners.
The rise of pure independents -- independents who aren't just closet Democrats or Republicans -- has been much more modest. From 2004 to 2016, the percentage of Americans identifying as pure independents has risen and declined a point or two per year, especially in the year after a presidential election.
This year, the number of pure independents rose a little more, a 3 to 4% increase over 2017. At the same time, the percentage of Americans identifying as solid Democrats has been flat, and there's been a slight increase in independents who lean toward Democrats.
So while there has been some erosion in the Republican base, it's not at all clear how much Democrats are really benefiting from it. As Franklin puts it: "There is evidence for some erosion of GOP partisanship in 2017, though I think it is a more modest decline than some would suggest. That has not been accompanied by any substantial Dem gains in 2017."
All the same, the decline in Republican affiliation may affect our understanding of the party. If a lot less people even consider themselves Republicans or Republican-leaning, the lowering levels of support that Donald Trump gets among Republicans and his recent uptick look even worse. The Americans who were Republicans a year or two ago, who have now defected, won't even have their unhappiness picked up in these polls, softening the result.
The increase in Democrat-leaning independents is also not a bad sign for Democrats, and may be an area to observe a positive trend. Almost 90% of these independent "lean" voters ultimately voted with the parties they "leaned" toward, according to a study of recent elections.
The rise in pure independents also likely signals that the primaries of 2016 were not an outlier, and voters will continue to self-identify more like free agents, even as their partisanship is increasingly predictable. It's one of the paradoxes of recent years: As partisan polarization increases, so does distrust in institutions. But in the end, a party can no longer decide if voters don't really want to be a part of it.

Blackwidow

If nothing else it will be the final nail in his marriage.
How is the immigration status of her and her family. And is she getting custody of her son? I have a feeling that he has a lot dirt in his hand to scare her into keeping up the status...

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I'm guessing his folks are scrambling to find out if the Fl shooter or his family was born elsewhere, was not caucasian, voted Democrat, was on Obamacare, had a foreign make car or was able to speak more than one language.

Adisa

Refusing to address his country.
You lot sure picked a hell of a president.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
To be fair, many people make similar "deals" when getting married. Trump wanted a trophy wife so married someone beautiful, she probably wanted a luxurious life. Something like this happens on a micro level in a lot of long term relationships.

It is also unfair to single out Melania when Hillary did not leave Bill after his numerous affairs and scandals.

Adisa

To be fair, many people make similar "deals" when getting married. Trump wanted a trophy wife so married someone beautiful, she probably wanted a luxurious life. Something like this happens on a micro level in a lot of long term relationships.

It is also unfair to single out Melania when Hillary did not leave Bill after his numerous affairs and scandals.
Don't think people are singling her out. Just point out that she's unlikely to leave him for past indiscretions because she knows what she got herself into.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Don't think people are singling her out. Just point out that she's unlikely to leave him for past indiscretions because she knows what she got herself into.
To be fair, I don’t think she ever expected to be First Lady and have all the pressures and scrutiny that comes with that. I don’t think she will divorce him while he’s POTUS, I think they will make it in her interest to play along for a few years to save embarrassment, she will be away from him “raising Baron” most of the time and flown in when the First Lady traditionally makes an appearance.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I'm guessing his folks are scrambling to find out if the Fl shooter or his family was born elsewhere, was not caucasian, voted Democrat, was on Obamacare, had a foreign make car or was able to speak more than one language.
:lol: For sure.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Vanity Fair said:
Obama’s staff had spent months preparing voluminous transition briefs, thick binders designed to help the next administration get up to speed on subjects ranging from Iran to Cuba to climate change. Every previous incoming team had studied such volumes with care. But as the inauguration drew near, McDonough realized that the binders had not even been opened: “All the paperwork, all the briefings that had been prepared for their transition team, went unused,” he said. “Unread. Unreviewed.”

Status
Not open for further replies.