The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
At least he hasn't claimed the virus is because of 'the cyber'.

Fergies Gum

Pass me the sick bag.
Bash is one of the biggest hacks in the media, so not a surprise this is coming from her. A lot in the media will privately be praying for Trump to get elected for a 2nd term as they thrive on the drama and controversy.

The Dems winning the presidency will be bad for the media as things would return to normal, which will result in their ratings taking a significant hit.

Dr. StrangeHate

His payroll tax idea would inordinately benefit the wealthier folk.
Hopefully he's backed off of that.

Has he said it's all under control again? Or has he now realized it's better to tell Americans the truth?
What is payroll tax? How does it benefit wealthy?

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
A tax cut, for everyone.
The more you make, the more you keep.
This was touted for the Federal level which iirc the normal tax rate can range 13%-18%, which is what I usually see. I think that sounds right?
So, for less well off folk that even make enough to pay taxes, they'd see little relief.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It's really simple. If you want to refer to it by its geographic origin then he could have easily called it "Wuhan" and nobody would care. If he wants to assess blame (which is his calling card) he can simple say "the virus China failed to contain". There is a reason why Ebola wasn't called the "African Virus" and the Spanish Flu wasn't called the "American Virus". He's referring to an entire ethnic group, not the Chinese government.
We should call it the Saudi 9/11 then if we are to follow Trump's line of thought.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Got sucked down the Twatter rabbit hole reading that Lis Power page. Stumbled across this nitwit running in Nevada.

https://twitter.com/iheartmindy
Another dyed blonde heavily plastered in makeup (and likely cosmetic surgery produced) suburban doll. Seem to be a lot of copies of those self proclaimed "staunch patriots" out there these days.

The Firestarter

Another dyed blonde heavily plastered in makeup (and likely cosmetic surgery produced) suburban doll. Seem to be a lot of copies of those self proclaimed "staunch patriots" out there these days.
Ask them how patriotic they are after several weeks when they can't get to their hairdresser or cosmetic surgeon.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Ask them how patriotic they are after several weeks when they can't get to their hairdresser or cosmetic surgeon.
TBF I'm pretty sure she is a Democrat (or she at least has been married to a bunch of them)

The issue is that the bar is sooooooooo low for Trump that even when does the bare minimum, it seems like a colossal feat. America is truly a fecked country. The inmates (entertainers and politicians) are running the asylum (information and media) and all the adults (academics, experts, and scientists) are in straight jackets. If Trump is elected again (which is very likely) I'm out.

The Firestarter

TBF I'm pretty sure she is a Democrat (or she at least has been married to a bunch of them)

The issue is that the bar is sooooooooo low for Trump that even when does the bare minimum, it seems like a colossal feat. America is truly a fecked country. The inmates (entertainers and politicians) are running the asylum (information and media) and all the adults (academics, experts, and scientists) are in straight jackets. If Trump is elected again (which is very likely) I'm out.
I hope there is still functioning air transport by the time you decide to get out. Otherwise better start working on your kayaking game.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I hope there is still functioning air transport by the time you decide to get out. Otherwise better start working on your kayaking game.
As long as the Gulf States and Russia keep up this crude oil price war and people are terrified to travel, might be cheaper to get out that buy a roll of toilet paper :lol:

Redplane

Makes me think of something interesting. It already kinda started from what I read but if the EU, Canada and some of the other likely alternatives for academics and other highly educated or skilled individuals up their game a bit more to attract them I'd suspect many will be enticed to get out as well.

Giggs86

If he thinks he can buy my vote come November by sending me a check in the mail... he is absolutely right :lol:

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Makes me think of something interesting. It already kinda started from what I read but if the EU, Canada and some of the other likely alternatives for academics and other highly educated or skilled individuals up their game a bit more to attract them I'd suspect many will be enticed to get out as well.
I have a friend who worked for the state department in Dubai and when Trump was elected she said there was a mass exodus of some of the best people. She also said that her and other colleagues felt that Trump would likely be a one term president and they would simply wait him out. I would guess they won't stick around for another four years.

Redplane

I have a friend who worked for the state department in Dubai and when Trump was elected she said there was a mass exodus of some of the best people. She also said that her and other colleagues felt that Trump would likely be a one term president and they would simply wait him out. I would guess they won't stick around for another four years.
Yeah not surprised. Probably many hoping he would do enough to feck it up and be out before a second term. The fact that he s done plenty and then some and still had a good shot at getting re elected is possibly even more disenfranchising than the first time around. I too know some that have left and more having done the prep work. It's a sad state of affairs when especially the stem fields and academia as a whole are under constant attack.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Yeah not surprised. Probably many hoping he would do enough to feck it up and be out before a second term. The fact that he s done plenty and then some and still had a good shot at getting re elected is possibly even more disenfranchising than the first time around. I too know some that have left and more having done the prep work. It's a sad state of affairs when especially the stem fields and academia as a whole are under constant attack.
As someone who works in the tech industry, I fully believe social media will be the downfall of America. Right now too many Americans get their information from it and don't even bother to fact check. In addition, the far-right has skillfully harnessed the power of social media (namely Twitter) to create information bubbles where they can spread "alternative facts" without any ramifications. It started with the Tea Party movement and continued with Trump. Facts don't matter in American politics because the ability to spread misinformation quickly and effectively across social media platforms renders the truth nothing but a footnote. Take into account that social media companies have no incentive to remove misinformation (more content, more money) and you have a recipe for a truly deluded, uninformed American public who votes in a complete charlatan like Trump.

For example, How many of us have had our parents or elderly relatives tell us something they read on social media that we know is completely false with basic fact checking?

This is becoming the norm in the US and sadly it applies to all age groups. This country is truly fecked.

Redplane

@MackRobinson full agree with everything you said. It's still sad to think back to how rather had less things like Facebook started off as and what it is now.

On another note. The evil fecks aren't done trying to be evil fecks:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/paid...red-down-even-more_n_5e70e52ec5b6eab7793d0ceb

This is probably the worst of it all:
It could’ve been worse, said a senior Democratic aide familiar with the negotiations. The White House actually wanted to weaken a longstanding law that provides Americans with unpaid time off during a medical emergency. The administration sought to get rid of part of the 30-year-old Family and Medical Leave Act, which ensures workers can get health insurance while they’re on long-term leave.

“This was a nonstarter for the speaker,” the aide said, referring to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who was also able to get a tax credit for small businesses to make it easier for them to offer the paid time off.

So after trying to introduce anti abortion language in something that should ve been passed two days ago without trying to add something that has no relevance to the aid people need for this situation, now they tried to gut FMLA. What. The. feck.

Guaranteed the Senate Republicans are still going to introduce some other shit so they can say the Dems shot it down in its entirety. Bc feck the American people who need it most.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
@MackRobinson full agree with everything you said. It's still sad to think back to how rather had less things like Facebook started off as and what it is now.

On another note. The evil fecks aren't done trying to be evil fecks:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/paid...red-down-even-more_n_5e70e52ec5b6eab7793d0ceb

This is probably the worst of it all:
It could’ve been worse, said a senior Democratic aide familiar with the negotiations. The White House actually wanted to weaken a longstanding law that provides Americans with unpaid time off during a medical emergency. The administration sought to get rid of part of the 30-year-old Family and Medical Leave Act, which ensures workers can get health insurance while they’re on long-term leave.

“This was a nonstarter for the speaker,” the aide said, referring to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who was also able to get a tax credit for small businesses to make it easier for them to offer the paid time off.

So after trying to introduce anti abortion language in something that should ve been passed two days ago without trying to add something that has no relevance to the aid people need for this situation, now they tried to gut FMLA. What. The. feck.

Guaranteed the Senate Republicans are still going to introduce some other shit so they can say the Dems shot it down in its entirety. Bc feck the American people who need it most.
Sad but not surprising. Just wait until the Republican controlled Senate led by that sociopath McConnell get their hands on it. It will be a joke bill filled with pork for lobbyists.

Trump's presidency has allowed truly evil politicians like Mitch McConnell the cover to openly pander to special interests and donors without even pretending to care about the middle or lower class. He's a truly despicable human.

sglowrider

As someone who works in the tech industry, I fully believe social media will be the downfall of America. Right now too many Americans get their information from it and don't even bother to fact check. In addition, the far-right has skillfully harnessed the power of social media (namely Twitter) to create information bubbles where they can spread "alternative facts" without any ramifications. It started with the Tea Party movement and continued with Trump. Facts don't matter in American politics because the ability to spread misinformation quickly and effectively across social media platforms renders the truth nothing but a footnote. Take into account that social media companies have no incentive to remove misinformation (more content, more money) and you have a recipe for a truly deluded, uninformed American public who votes in a complete charlatan like Trump.

For example, How many of us have had our parents or elderly relatives tell us something they read on social media that we know is completely false with basic fact checking?

This is becoming the norm in the US and sadly it applies to all age groups. This country is truly fecked.
It has levelled out the media field where everyone has a voice even though they may be less informed. Likes instead of facts.
Freedom of speech malarky.

People now do not know the difference between opinion or a fact now simply because of where the opinion/fact is being presented.

Sometimes, in life, there should be a hierarchy.

Kaush949

She's the girlfriend of former UFC Fighter Randy Couture and far from a democrat.

http://mindyrobinsonforcongress.com/

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Honestly, I don't even think he is wrong. The virus originated in wet markets (which should not be allowed in the first place, especially after SARS), and China fecked up big time by initially trying to hide it (they knew since mid-December that they might be dealing with a SARS-like virus, but instead arrested the doctor whistleblower).
Fair enough. Now we've sorted out nationality just deport it.

Amarsdd

I feel the exact same way. Over the last few years, I have lost faith in most parts of society and social media has been the biggest reason for that. And the thing is it is so clear and right infront of our face yet everyone just goes along with it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Totally agree. I said that Facebook would ultimately be the downfall of society back in 2009. When one realizes how impactful monetizing ‘information‘ is by weaponizing it through social media, It begs for the dissolution of the social media platforms that allow it to happen. Sadly, we appear to be too far gone. I’ve never been on Facebook intentionally (only been routed there through links), so I don’t know how bad it is on there, but after 2016, my declaration about FB seemed on point.

MarylandMUFan

Totally agree. I said that Facebook would ultimately be the downfall of society back in 2009. When one realizes how impactful monetizing ‘information‘ is by weaponizing it through social media, It begs for the dissolution of the social media platforms that allow it to happen. Sadly, we appear to be too far gone. I’ve never been on Facebook intentionally (only been routed there through links), so I don’t know how bad it is on there, but after 2016, my declaration about FB seemed on point.
I wonder if Facebook could use something like IBM Watson to live fact check and call out lies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

If half of America reelects this fool and the circus he runs after this pandemic they deserve everything they get.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I started using Twitter again this week to track some of the coronavirus news and it's a complete cesspool of misinformation and straight lies. Many people still claiming it's just the flu. People posting fake makeshift DYI coronavirus tests. People claiming the virus was intentionally spread. People falsely claiming it's illegal for the federal, state or local governments to enforce a quarantine. Etc, etc, etc. What's worse is many of people posting these lies have millions of followers. I would wager Facebook is worse as that has been a cesspool since at least 2014 when I ditched it altogether.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
My very old relative, a US citizen, arrived from India and said there was no testing at all (o'Hare airport). Flight was via Dubai where also there was no testing. She's voluntarily decided to isolate herself for a week.

Amarsdd

Such a fecking despicable excuse for a human. cnut!
"I'm good. I'm the best. I'm the greatest. Those saying otherwise is fake news." basically all his tweets boils down to this.
And even after being in contact with those infected, he didn't get the virus. Just another proof that there is no god.

sglowrider

My very old relative, a US citizen, arrived from India and said there was no testing at all (o'Hare airport). Flight was via Dubai where also there was no testing. She's voluntarily decided to isolate herself for a week.
Doubt if they will test every inbound passenger. Each test/swab has to be sent to a nearby lab that has PCR machines.
Results in 2 hrs. It's got to cost between $50 to $150 per test.

Status
Not open for further replies.