The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Change mostly comes from the top and trickles down - the lunatic in charge has galvanised, incentivised and triggered so many with his rhetoric and constant gas (and green) lighting. That empowerment is diluted without such an insane figurehead. These people don't suddenly disappear, nor do their views change, particularly, but they're not emboldened nor being told that their course of action is acceptable. Reining them in and figuratively putting some of the less hardlined back in their box is paramount.

It would make a huge difference, and it's a start, but whilst Trump is in power, all bets are off as it's more of a certainty things will get worse, perhaps far worse (I won't even add 'before they get better' to the end of that sentence) and that's the first point of order to arrest and then at least put a band aid over the gaping wound, for as much good as that'll do.
Maybe, but that what you are saying is essentially a case of papering over the cracks and brushing the problems under the carpet. A longer term solution is needed.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Maybe, but that what you are saying is essentially a case of papering over the cracks and brushing the problems under the carpet. A longer term solution is needed.
I'm saying the first point of order is getting Trump out of the White House because for as long as he is there, particularly if he gets a second term, the situation will only get worse.

America is in a state of lesser of two evils with the candidates and honestly, only the actual Antichrist is going to do a worse job of running the country than Trump. Removing gasoline from flame is a crucial first step - how can any resolutions be found if the man at the helm is the driving force in these tensions and escalations? You have a president who is now openly fascist. That is alarming.

America is entrenched in, and was founded upon, racism - there is no quick solution, and there are numerous bodies who want the status quo to remain firmly as is, but at the very least, have someone at the helm who is not trying to double down and make things a magnitude of order worse!

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I'm saying the first point of order is getting Trump out of the White House because for as long as he is there, particularly if he gets a second term, the situation will only get worse.

America is in a state of lesser of two evils with the candidates and honestly, only the actual Antichrist is going to do a worse job of running the country than Trump. Removing gasoline from flame is a crucial first step - how can any resolutions be found if the man at the helm is the driving force in these tensions and escalations? You have a president who is now openly fascist. That is alarming.

America is entrenched in, and was founded upon, racism - there is no quick solution, and there are numerous bodies who want the status quo to remain firmly as is, but at the very least, have someone at the helm who is not trying to double down and make things a magnitude of order worse!
Removing Trump would certainly be a great step, but at present there is a very real chance of him winning a second term. Not only does that guarantee another 4 years (minimum) of this lunacy and empower his base, but it also goes some way to proving that the racists and bigots in America actually represent enough of the population to win an election. It isnt just a vocal minority, it is a significant demographic.

Again, how do you reconcile that? I dont see how the two main groups of the U.S can coexist peacefully at that stage.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Change mostly comes from the top and trickles down - the lunatic in charge has galvanised, incentivised and triggered so many with his rhetoric and constant gas (and green) lighting. That empowerment is diluted without such an insane figurehead. These people don't suddenly disappear, nor do their views change, particularly, but they're not emboldened nor being told that their course of action is acceptable. Reining them in and figuratively putting some of the less hardlined back in their box is paramount.

It would make a huge difference, and it's a start, but whilst Trump is in power, all bets are off as it's more of a certainty things will get worse, perhaps far worse (I won't even add 'before they get better' to the end of that sentence) and that's the first point of order to arrest and then at least put a band aid over the gaping wound, for as much good as that'll do.
It also requires a sensible Attorney General and justice department that starts enacting reforms on a federal level into how policing ought to be done with robust mechanisms in place for oversight and punishment when authority goes overboard.

There need to be more lawmakers who identify police overreach as the #1 issue and start drafting bills to reign in the protection and privileges that these officers enjoy. In a country that is so anti-union, the police union is one of the most robust syndicates that protects the assholes who are caught using excessive force.

All of this also tags back to the private prison system which incentivizes policies like mandatory minimum sentencing, the three strike policy etc so that they can profit off of other's misery. Law enforcement, just like healthcare is so horribly broken in the country that putting bandaids is not going to cure a flesh wound. Its time to start afresh.

b82REZ

So many of Trump's actions border on the behaviours of a totalitarian dictator.

For all his name calling of Kim Jong Un over the years I'm starting to think Trump might be jealous of him and his complete control over a country and it's people.

Him being in power is worrying for the whole world and as he continues to feel more empowered in his country the more dangerous he becomes on a global scale.

I always said the guy wanted to go to war during his presidency, as the old adage goes wars make money and that's all he's arsed about. I just didn't think he'd start a civil war.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

half american knows exactly what trump is, and they're with him.

It's democracy, he has more vote ( electoral vote ) than the good guys

Lynty

Fully deserving of a bullet in my opinion, surprised it hasn't already happened.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Is there any video footage of the protesters getting gassed, and Trump wandering to this church moments after. It would make for a powerful image otherwise it's just another example of him being a prize cnut to add to the already overstocked list.

b82REZ

Fully deserving of a bullet in my opinion, surprised it hasn't already happened.
Would honestly be the worst thing that could happen.

I'd never condone violence but the two outcomes are he survives and uses it as a platform to push more of his far right views during a second term and his survival would only strengthen the resolve of his supporters. Second if he were killed his supporters would martyr him and it would likely be the fuel needed to start the fire of a real civil war.

Smores

Can't say I'd be remotely upset by the news but I'm not sure it would be a good thing. I'd be concerned about right wing nutters who think they're in a war against the left using it as a call to arms. Then you'd have the republicans using it to their benefit and you'd have to endure what a good president he was.

Better the man is ousted and shown as the sad old failure he is. Let him lose and then in their post election review hopefully they'll move away from those extremes.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Of all the tactics to use when your citizens are outraged about what they see as monolithic, trigger-happy, accountable-to-nobody, fascistic, hypocritical...you chose to confirm these perceptions as a fact.

DVG7

There is no way he gets a second term now. I refuse to believe it’s possible. All the next president has to do for the next 4 years is stand and nod or shake his head from time to time and he’ll have had a better presidency.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Are we finally at the point where people realise that there won’t be free elections or a peaceful transition to another president?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Better the man is ousted and shown as the sad old failure he is. Let him lose and then in their post election review hopefully they'll move away from those extremes.
This is key. November has to be repudiation of his approach and policies. That's the way to tell the GOP establishment that they were wrong to embrace these, and would have been better off shaping policies that actually help people, and then - gasp - win votes.

DavidDeSchmikes

There is no way he gets a second term now. I refuse to believe it’s possible. All the next president has to do for the next 4 years is stand and nod or shake his head from time to time and he’ll have had a better presidency.
But would it change the broken system? Or stop police brutality?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Removing Trump would certainly be a great step, but at present there is a very real chance of him winning a second term. Not only does that guarantee another 4 years (minimum) of this lunacy and empower his base, but it also goes some way to proving that the racists and bigots in America actually represent enough of the population to win an election. It isnt just a vocal minority, it is a significant demographic.

Again, how do you reconcile that? I dont see how the two main groups of the U.S can coexist peacefully at that stage.
To be honest with you, if he gets a second term, I dread to think of where things go from there. An openly fascist leader of the free world is something out of a movie. It's a terrifying thought. I don't think many would've seen Trump effectively declaring war on his own citizens coming even a few weeks ago. Who knows where his escalations take us even over the next few days/weeks? We can't be far off some Far Right nutjobs deciding to open fire on innocents as it is, all with his implicit approval and the assurance of clemency post-event. His removal in favour of a president who is not stoking these monumental fires is essential.

In the meantime, one would hope these protests manage to send out a message strong enough for the police to stop lynching innocents. Not because they care or have suddenly had an epiphany, but because of the potential fallout and blow-back on themselves and their precincts - I might be reaching here, but there aren't many orgnisations who actively seek to bring more heat on themselves after a cataclysmic event. If the incidence and frequency of these human rights violations at least decreases over the upcoming months, once this dust settles, it's a small step in the right direction and at least buys some time for folk who would have otherwise become yet another statistic.

I'm pinning hope on the election and from there hopefully seeing another step in the right direction. As I said earlier, America is in a state of two evils and I'm not, for a moment saying Biden is good man, but the pressure for him to bring a modicum of change is at least a glimmer of hope as opposed to Trump, who will further widen this chasm and do who knows what with it over four more years.
It also requires a sensible Attorney General and justice department that starts enacting reforms on a federal level into how policing ought to be done with robust mechanisms in place for oversight and punishment when authority goes overboard.

There need to be more lawmakers who identify police overreach as the #1 issue and start drafting bills to reign in the protection and privileges that these officers enjoy. In a country that is so anti-union, the police union is one of the most robust syndicates that protects the assholes who are caught using excessive force.

All of this also tags back to the private prison system which incentivizes policies like mandatory minimum sentencing, the three strike policy etc so that they can profit off of other's misery. Law enforcement, just like healthcare is so horribly broken in the country that putting bandaids is not going to cure a flesh wound. Its time to start afresh.
The subject is so complex it would fill another thread with hundreds of pages. The prison system is a business that makes billions for the country and the perpetuity of black incarceration props up law, police and to a lesser extent, politics and this talk of deconstruction is wildly optimistic as it is the very foundation of the nation even to this day. Black people have been used as a commodity in America for centuries, and still are; off their backs America makes a fortune - the push for reform will not be easy, and I very much doubt it will be wholesome, but a first step would to just have the basic human rights afforded to others and not some Jim Crow level of flagrant disregard for life that broad day lynchings can be executed in 2020.

I don't know how you fix something that is threaded into the very fibres of a nation and is intrinsic to its fortunes - the sheer amount of parties who will never want this system broken because of their investment and profiteering off of it, is frightening. You have basic racism and systemic oppression as one set of drivers, but another is most certainly the almighty $$$$, and that is where, I would wager, there are more roadblocks than any of the former. Indentured servitude to slaves to once again (unknowing) indentured servitude - what possible incentive is there amongst the elite to free these people from their bondage? It's a subject with more depth than can be afforded in a thread like this.

Lynty

Simple. The nutjobs are his supporters.
Would honestly be the worst thing that could happen.

I'd never condone violence but the two outcomes are he survives and uses it as a platform to push more of his far right views during a second term and his survival would only strengthen the resolve of his supporters. Second if he were killed his supporters would martyr him and it would likely be the fuel needed to start the fire of a real civil war.
Can't say I'd be remotely upset by the news but I'm not sure it would be a good thing. I'd be concerned about right wing nutters who think they're in a war against the left using it as a call to arms. Then you'd have the republicans using it to their benefit and you'd have to endure what a good president he was.

Oh I agree, still would be satisfying in the short term. I'd like to see him in prison and all his crimes laid bare. But it'll never happen.

Are we finally at the point where people realise that there won’t be free elections or a peaceful transition to another president?
No chance in hell

SteveJ

Scout
Overwhelming force. Domination.
These are examples of the tell-tale words of a fascist and sadist. I don't state that lightly.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
half american knows exactly what trump is, and they're with him.

It's democracy, he has more vote ( electoral vote ) than the good guys
Let's say it's 40%. The battle is for the neutrals and the apathetic to find something or other that he does egregious enough to not vote for him.

DVG7

But would it change the broken system? Or stop police brutality?
it’s an essential part of the puzzle, his removal from office. There are many, many complex pieces but you can’t even begin to put it together with him around.

DavidDeSchmikes

it’s an essential part of the puzzle, his removal from office. There are many, many complex pieces but you can’t even begin to put it together with him around.
True. But it is important that the public, media, organistations etc. don't just stop and forget about George Floyd and the broken system the second Biden gets sworn in

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
These are examples of the tell-tale words of a fascist and sadist. I don't state that lightly.
You're right mate, he's absolutely a fascist and an authoritarian.

He's awake and he's as nasty as ever.
I'm not American and he absolutely infuriates me, I can only imagine how angry his own people feel this moment. Goodness me.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I still believe he will win a second term easily. Biden is a total joke of a candidate and Trump's support in the areas that already voted for him has only gotten stronger.

SteveJ

Scout
Many arrests. Great job done by all. Overwhelming force. Domination.
'Such wow. Many scares. Amaze. Excite. Very guns.'

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

It's just going to restart the same tired cycle though. Republican comes in an pisses everyone off, is replaced by a fairly conservative Democrat who does nothing much to change anything, and then in the disillusionment with them they get replaced by another Republican. Repeat ad nauseum.

Status
Not open for further replies.