The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
In the meantime, one would hope these protests manage to send out a message strong enough for the police to stop lynching innocents. Not because they care or have suddenly had an epiphany, but because of the potential fallout and blow-back on themselves and their precincts - I might be reaching here, but there aren't many orgnisations who actively seek to bring more heat on themselves after a cataclysmic event. If the incidence and frequency of these human rights violations at least decreases over the upcoming months, once this dust settles, it's a small step in the right direction and at least buys some time for folk who would have otherwise become yet another statistic.
Sorry for not replying to the full thing, but I think this bit is worth picking up on. I think something drastic has to happen for these protests to send a message. At present, the President has doubled down, using terms like "domination" and "overwhelming force". If the protests now stop, then that will be seen as nothing short of a victory for Trump and his mobs - they will have successfully kicked back down the uprising, quelled the rebellion and re-established the status quo. The absolute worst thing that can happen right now in my opinion is for the protests to stop, for that reason. People need to show that they arent going to be cowed by the ever-escalating police and military presence.

Trumps only answer is violence. If that can be shown to not work, then there will be some chance of real change taking place.

Think about how long and how much energy (by which I mean, people's will to stand up to the establishment) has been used in this movement. If it gets put down now through Trumps bully tactics, then I feel like a lot of black folk in America will basically feel defeated and adopt a mindset of reluctant acceptance that they simply cannot change their lot, which would be a tragedy.

Im not someone who tends to get emotionally invested in things like this, but I stayed up til 3AM last night watching streams and recordings of what was going on and it is truly sickening.

DVG7

I still believe he will win a second term easily. Biden is a total joke of a candidate and Trump's support in the areas that already voted for him has only gotten stronger.
I think the hiding in the bunker thing will have turned a lot of people off

GiddyUp

So a US Senator calling his President Scum....

And one calling for US citizens to be hunted down and shot in the streets.

What the actual feck?
Someday Matt gaetz the cnut will get what's coming to him. Such a brown nosing prick.

DVG7

Only those who already hate him. He can basically do whatever he wants and his supporters will vote for him regardless.
i feel confident he will lose the election. If he wins, any tiny bit of hope for that country is gone.

RedTiger

Half mast
Are we finally at the point where people realise that there won’t be free elections or a peaceful transition to another president?
Some people are still deluded that there will be a glorious election come November. I've seen how 3rd world countries act when there's an election coming up and there's tension and civil unrest... The elections don't happen.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Some people are still deluded that there will be a glorious election come November. I've seen how 3rd world countries act when there's an election coming up and there's tension and civil unrest... The elections don't happen.
It feels like Americans have been told how great their democracy is for so long, that they seem unable to realise how fragile it is. The blind faith many still seem to have in government institutions and the law is astonishing to me. They keep putting their hopes in anything so they don’t have to face how broken the system is. Be it the Muller report, turning the house blue or the next elections.

starman

He's that kid every school had that used to bring a football in, adjust the jumpers for goalposts, say what a foul is or not and if he didnt get his way would take his ball and go home...
Yes! that guy became leader of the most powerful country in the world. Almost 4 years on it doesn't get any less bizarre that he managed to become president.

GiddyUp

I still believe he will win a second term easily. Biden is a total joke of a candidate and Trump's support in the areas that already voted for him has only gotten stronger.
No it hasn't. He has not got stronger. Red states will vote red but don't be surprised if a lot if people have had enough. He got in on the very slimmest of margins. Unfortunately the dem candidate is Biden but to say he will win easily is wrong.

Foxbatt

I hope Rocket Man would tweet about Bunker Man. The only way to unravel Trump is to humiliate him. Biden should bring this up about hiding from the American people in the bunker every time he debates Trump. He will walk off the stage if he is humiliated.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's just going to restart the same tired cycle though. Republican comes in an pisses everyone off, is replaced by a fairly conservative Democrat who does nothing much to change anything, and then in the disillusionment with them they get replaced by another Republican. Repeat ad nauseum.
After this insanity, a reset to a normal level of bonkers would be welcomed. I don't think, even with Trump ousted, the path is clear, but at the moment it's blocked by a boulder that's dropping life-threatening debris all over the place.

I can't recall ever seeing an American president overtly mobilising fascism or fascist actions as we're seeing now. He's barely even using a dog whistle now. It's just beyond the pale.
Sorry for not replying to the full thing, but I think this bit is worth picking up on. I think something drastic has to happen for these protests to send a message. At present, the President has doubled down, using terms like "domination" and "overwhelming force". If the protests now stop, then that will be seen as nothing short of a victory for Trump and his mobs - they will have successfully kicked back down the uprising, quelled the rebellion and re-established the status quo. The absolute worst thing that can happen right now in my opinion is for the protests to stop, for that reason. People need to show that they arent going to be cowed by the ever-escalating police and military presence.

Trumps only answer is violence. If that can be shown to not work, then there will be some chance of real change taking place.

Think about how long and how much energy (by which I mean, people's will to stand up to the establishment) has been used in this movement. If it gets put down now through Trumps bully tactics, then I feel like a lot of black folk in America will basically feel defeated and adopt a mindset of reluctant acceptance that they simply cannot change their lot, which would be a tragedy.

Im not someone who tends to get emotionally invested in things like this, but I stayed up til 3AM last night watching streams and recordings of what was going on and it is truly sickening.
Agree, but it's going to cost lives and that's a horrible thought because this thing is only just starting to ramp up. Trump's words are making a tense situation unpalatable, and I don't think there'll be many who are surprised if one of his supporters takes the call to arms literally and does something that brings this thing to boiling point.

I'm not usually invested in the goings on in America, but this feels like something wholly different - from the very outset tensions were already simmering off the back off the Aubery and Cooper incidents, and then, we see a man murdered in what is actually a snuff movie (if you think about it) before our eyes setting this whole thing off. It is the straw that broke the platform that the camel was standing on.

DVG7

Just read that a few people dressed up as cops and left a pile of bricks somewhere and had someone film it to make it look like real cops were leaving the bricks. Don’t even know what to believe.

freeurmind

weak willed
Just read that a few people dressed up as cops and left a pile of bricks somewhere and had someone film it to make it look like real cops were leaving the bricks. Don’t even know what to believe.
What's the point of that?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
No it hasn't. He has not got stronger. Red states will vote red but don't be surprised if a lot if people have had enough. He got in on the very slimmest of margins. Unfortunately the dem candidate is Biden but to say he will win easily is wrong.
I hope you are right I really do but I can't help but think he is going to win again. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
After this insanity, a reset to a normal level of bonkers would be welcomed. I don't think, even with Trump ousted, the path is clear, but at the moment it's blocked by a boulder that's dropping life-threatening debris all over the place.
Welcome in the moment perhaps, but just ensures you'll be seeing all this happen again in a few years.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I hope you are right I really do but I can't help but think he is going to win again. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.
The bigger concern is not so much that he is re-elected but how he'll act if he isn't. Do people believe he will leave quietly without calling into question the legitimacy of the vote? I'd seriously worry about the forces he'd be able to mobilise if he decided to go down that path.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
He wanted to tear-gas those in a care home?

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's just going to restart the same tired cycle though. Republican comes in an pisses everyone off, is replaced by a fairly conservative Democrat who does nothing much to change anything, and then in the disillusionment with them they get replaced by another WORSE Republican. Repeat ad nauseum.
Fixed...

On a side note, it's not like a lot of us didn't see this shot coming. It's been pretty obvious for a while... and no removing him from office won't fix it, but it's an obvious place to start.

So when he wins his second term, serious fecking sideeye at all the "hey eye don't see anything any other pres hasn't done" "oh don't take his schtick seriously" motherfeckers :wenger::wenger::wenger:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
He's wishing violence on the people of New York where, apparently, he isn't very popular.

decorativeed

I'm getting serious Mondale '84 vibes from this nomination, and it could be even more disaterous.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Not wanting to tempt fate, but Trump's path to victory in 2016 really was a 'best-case scenario'. Everything had to go just right for him - Jill Stein, Comey, Hillary's not visiting Wisconsin - and he still barely squeaked a victory by about a quarter million votes.

If there's not disruptive third party candidate, and if Biden takes Pennsylvania (which he really, really, really should) the path is almost impossible.

Trump's popularity is not higher than it was. His support among independents has plummeted. His favourability is dire. His 'dislike less' index - for voters saying they don't like either, but in 16 he took it by 37 (!!) points over Hillary, has inverted over 50 points (now Biden is +17).

What has happened is the absolute number identifying republicans has decreased, but the share of those that support is almost absolute. There's about a 0% chance of him winning the popular vote, or coming near it. The easiest way for Trump to win is for urban areas in swing states to not show up like they didn't in 2016. So that's what he'll focus on - expect a slew of suppression efforts.

But Americans want him out, it's relatively easy, statistics wise. Just increase turnout.

He may still win - of course - but people saying it's a sure thing remind me of the posters who before every Pool/City/someone match say we're going to get hammered 4-0.

luke511

It makes me so depressed that Joe Biden is his only competition. The scumbags that ganged up on Sanders should be ashamed and be held responsible for Trump's inevitable re-election. They did America a massive disservice.

decorativeed

You mean because Trump is in Mondale's position, and Biden is in Reagan's position, polling wise?
No, that bit goes in Biden's favour. It's more the former Democrat vice President against the Republican incumbent, with Carter and Obama both being deeply unpopular figures for Republican voters.

Revan

Assumptionman
It makes me so depressed that Joe Biden is his only competition. The scumbags that ganged up on Sanders should be ashamed and be held responsible for Trump's inevitable re-election. They did America a massive disservice.
Biden has a far higher chance of winning the election than Sanders, as shown by him crushing Sanders in a more left wing electorate than the general election, and indicated by GOP leaders rooting for Sanders.

Sanders had by far the best policies, but Biden had a better chance to win. He is leading by 13 points in the polls right now, that gives him a very comfortable victory.

The only way Trump wins this is if there is a very low turnout because of coronavirus. Otherwise, he is done.

Drifter

American
I think he's a terrible choice politically as well. But I feel people will come out regardless, despite him.

Last edited:

Drifter

American
Pentagon distances itself from White House move to gas protesters for photo-op

Monday, President Donald Trump responded to reports that he was rushed to the bunker as protesters surrounded the White House, by having the military gas the activists so he could walk to St. John’s church and do a photo-op with an upsidedown Bible.

Now, senior defense officials are saying that Secretary Mark Esper and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Mark Milley didn’t intend to be part of Trump’s photo-op.

After the briefing from the president when Trump announced he was going to “a very special place,” Esper and Milley left, intending to review National Guard troops in the area, said Missy Ryan at the Washington Post.

SirAF

Ageist
Biden has a far higher chance of winning the election than Sanders, as shown by him crushing Sanders in a more left wing electorate than the general election, and indicated by GOP leaders rooting for Sanders.

Sanders had by far the best policies, but Biden had a better chance to win. He is leading by 13 points in the polls right now, that gives him a very comfortable victory.

The only way Trump wins this is if there is a very low turnout because of coronavirus. Otherwise, he is done.
Let's bloody hope so. This is beyond ridiculous. I've never disliked a public figure so much as this cnut.

Status
Not open for further replies.