The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Trump with yet another fascinating history lesson.

The closest thing is in 1917, they say, the great pandemic. It certainly was a terrible thing where they lost anywhere from 50 to 100 million people. Probably ended the second World War, all the soldiers were sick.”

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Fcuk!
Watching some old YouTube videos and saw Michelle Obama on James Corden’s carpool karaoke and just got reminiscing. “How cool is the 1st lady?”.

Can you imagine Malaria Trump doing that?
Sad how things have changed in these last few years.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Hell, we see that with the American Civil War. The Southern States have really distorted the narrative that is only now being seriously challenged.
Yep, that's the Lost Cause I was talking about. It's probably the single best example of the losers writing history, they really did a number... of course, it could be argued that the north let it happen, which they basically did, because they wanted their votes. Don't you just love politicking?

arthurka

Never really liked this saying. There are plenty of cases of the losers or victims writing history (Lost Cause, Clean Wehrmacht, even the viking raids).
This for example has been shown to have at least bit of truth to it. High numbers of soldiers having lost their minds due to having to shoot women and children in the heads under orders. There are certain things that are withheld by the winners in an attempt to whitewash their involvement.

nimic

something nice
Scout
This for example has been shown to have at least bit of truth to it. High numbers of soldiers having lost their minds due to having to shoot women and children in the heads under orders.
That's not really an argument for there being any truth to it. If anything it's the opposite, since it acknowledges that the Wehrmacht was complicit in war-crimes on a regular basis.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Forget history 1917 vs 1945?
Or just get mixed up while talking. (Not that Trump won't double down if challenged on it though!)

To be honest, I find the attention on this slip-ups kinda boring. We know he says stupid things sometimes and isn't in control of facts. And yes, it's worth hammering on these points, to try and continue to undermine Trump's standing in the eyes of his supporters. But in the meantime, he is doing much bigger stuff that doesn't get nearly the same level of attention and has much more impact on the US.

(Yes, I'm a bore who like discussing things in detail. :wenger: )

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Or just get mixed up while talking. (Not that Trump won't double down if challenged on it though!)

To be honest, I find the attention on this slip-ups kinda boring. We know he says stupid things sometimes and isn't in control of facts. And yes, it's worth hammering on these points, to try and continue to undermine Trump's standing in the eyes of his supporters. But in the meantime, he is doing much bigger stuff that doesn't get nearly the same level of attention and has much more impact on the US.

(Yes, I'm a bore who like discussing things in detail. :wenger: )
You make a good point. It's been made many times before but it's obviously hard for any of us to keep track of every thing, let alone stay focused on it. The people behind him surely use it to their advantage and the press fails horribly in keeping the attention on the true policy, regulatory and legislative damage this man s folks are doing to the country's institutes on a daily basis. How soon have we forgotten about all the shenanigans at the VA, the Dept of Energy and the continued lack of attention to the corruption of the Dept of Education under DeVos. List goes on and on.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
The people in power hold the key to history and how it's told. History is told by the winners even if it's not even close to the truth.

What is this guy doing?
That was before every single person has a video camera readily available to them. Sorry but that line doesn't exist anymore. It stopped being the case after the Vietnam War.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Buchanan and Tom Braden were pretty good on Crossfire in the early to mid 80s.
I remember watching them with my parents at the dinner table in the late 1980s. It was a quality show back then. Then my mother’s side of the family worked in Buchanan’s campaigns in the early 90s which led to the massive schism in my family that exists to this day. They viewed Buchanan with the same optimism as they view Plump. Spooky shit.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
That was before every single person has a video camera readily available to them. Sorry but that line doesn't exist anymore. It stopped being the case after the Vietnam War.
Not really. People believe what they want to believe. Even official declassified cia meant squat.

I read military people insisting that they won the vietnam war. It's just the case of the bully being to tired to stomp on the victim.

Amazing how brainwashed american is when they decided to close their eyes and shouts nanana

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
You make a good point. It's been made many times before but it's obviously hard for any of us to keep track of every thing, let alone stay focused on it. The people behind him surely use it to their advantage and the press fails horribly in keeping the attention on the true policy, regulatory and legislative damage this man s folks are doing to the country's institutes on a daily basis. How soon have we forgotten about all the shenanigans at the VA, the Dept of Energy and the continued lack of attention to the corruption of the Dept of Education under DeVos. List goes on and on.
I mean, I get it; that video above shows that Trump can't even tell you what book he's reading. His personality and behaviour embarras the US presidency in previously unimaginable ways. But it's shallow stuff that doesn't really affect the US, while his actual work does. I guess one might argue that this shallow stuff is what the public cares most about, but that works two ways: if that's all you feed them, they won't know any better either.

If no-one reverses the trend, it's just going to get worse. At least now elections still do mention policy sometimes! And it is reversible, because this personal focus is not a universal thing. Elections in countries where I've lived, like Canada, Finland, and the Netherlands, are much more focused on policy and ideas.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I mean, I get it; that video above shows that Trump can't even tell you what book he's reading. His personality and behaviour embarras the US presidency in previously unimaginable ways. But it's shallow stuff that doesn't really affect the US, while his actual work does. I guess one might argue that this shallow stuff is what the public cares most about, but that works two ways: if that's all you feed them, they won't know any better either.

If no-one reverses the trend, it's just going to get worse. At least now elections still do mention policy sometimes! And it is reversible, because this personal focus is not a universal thing. Elections in countries where I've lived, like Canada, Finland, and the Netherlands, are much more focused on policy and ideas.
I don't know, for me it shows Trump doesn't read books but would rather lie about that than admit it. There's also the notion that people who don't read books are stupid/ignorant/obtuse. Funny how it all comes out in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.