The type of players we’re badly missing….

Bestietom

People keep mentioning leadership and character.

We need players with ability and technique.

We need new fullbacks (on both wings). We need 2 CMs a CF and a CB to replace Maguire.

And I hope all those players have ability and technique. I don't want McGinn for example, just because he shows character and shouts at the ref. But a silent, quiet Modric will run rings around him every minute for 90 mins.

We're the only club that wants to sign players based on character. They have to be bloody good enough first. Our problem is our players aren't good enough to challenge. It's simple. It's not cos they lack character.
100% right.

Chicharo

People keep mentioning leadership and character.

We need players with ability and technique.

We need new fullbacks (on both wings). We need 2 CMs a CF and a CB to replace Maguire.

And I hope all those players have ability and technique. I don't want McGinn for example, just because he shows character and shouts at the ref. But a silent, quiet Modric will run rings around him every minute for 90 mins.

We're the only club that wants to sign players based on character. They have to be bloody good enough first. Our problem is our players aren't good enough to challenge. It's simple. It's not cos they lack character.
I agree, but that means signing 6 players, which is never gonna happen.

NoPace

The problem isn't that our players can't move with the ball in midfield, the problem is that the shape and movement of our players makes it almost impossible for them to do it. Watch us play and you will see that opposition players just have far more time and space on the ball than we do. They know where their next pass is going to be and where teammates will be so that they have an option. When we get the ball our player is immediately under pressure, is trying to protect the ball and figure out where his teammates are. This has been a fundamental flaw for years now. Where Liverpool and City players are deciding which of the 3 options they will pick or whether they should dribble to make more space, our players are looking around trying to work out who is available and where the passes are.

Where other teams players sprint to make a few metres of space for pass, ours just trot around with a defender right on their back the whole time.

Our players aren't as technically deficient and poor as some like to think. They are just working in a structureless system that makes their lives 10x harder. At the top level of sport, 2-3% differences are massive and our players are facing highly disciplined opposition with a high work rate. You watch any good team and the movement of the players and ball is effortless and smooth. There is no stuttering, players don't walk forward slowly with the ball for 3-4 seconds all the time wondering what on earth to do with it.

Most of our issues are coaching issues that will take a while to sort out. Lets be honest, I'm not sure that some of our players are even bothered enough to try and sort it out.
The #1 reasons I want Potter. You watch Brighton and the players clearly know where their teammates are without having to beat a man on the dribble just to make space to get their heads up to pick a pass. Triangles in the corners look sharp too. Even if Potter came and we finished say 6th and then 4th and then 5th and he got fired, we'd have players who know how to play together apart from on the counter where it's largely about our individual talent.

the_cliff

I agree, but that means signing 6 players, which is never gonna happen.
Depends, if we go for big name superstar signings in each position then yes. Give ETH 100 Million (1 Declan Rice) and I'm fairly confident he'll sign competent players in each of those positions who are upgrades on what we have atm.

Kessie for example would walk into our midfield and he's available for free.

JB7

And then there is you, a person who tolerates mediocrity because you think there is honor in doing so, while judging others who don't. What makes us different is that I gravitate towards enjoyment without tether, while you sit cross-legged in the mire on the pretense that the suffering you endure is the only manner in which success can truly be celebrated. Someday you'll wake up and realize you're running out of time to be happy.
There is a massive difference between "tolerating mediocrity" and simply not watching or supporting the team because you've decided they aren't as good as they should be. It's nothing to do with honour, it's just what you do as a supporter, it's something deep within you that means you get yourself to that football ground, or if that's not possible then you watch them on TV. What you are doing isn't some ridiculous "I'm not going to tolerate mediocrity" badge that you think it is, it's basically outing yourself as a fan of success rather than a fan of the club so if you gravitate towards "enjoyment without tether" there are plenty of other football clubs available if you enjoy watching football but not Manchester United.

And if you think a persons happiness should rest on whether their team is winning or not then firstly, I pity you and secondly, sport as a concept probably isn't for you. Maybe stick to shows with pre-determined outcomes like the theatre or WWE.

JB7

Ronaldo is not a leader. He’s a petulant child.

His dedication to his career, work ethic and training regime is a true beacon and sets a high bar.

But he’s toxic on the pitch most of the time. Every now and again he gets his shit together, but that sulky teenager shit doesn’t help anyone.
Absolute nonsense by the way. He talked Elanga through the whole game yesterday, he was the most vocal player on defensive set pieces telling players where to be and he essentially held a teamtalk in the corner when we were celebrating the 2-0 goal about staying calm and killing the game.

Roane

We need players with ability but overall we need hungry players.

I could be wrong but most people seem to want an almost finished article. So 100m for rice. I like rice and he has a skillset we could do with. However for me the problem we have had is we take a player on big money and pay him big wages and their skills and ability seem to fade. Is it because they "made it"? For me that's as much an issue as any other currently.

Sure people can point to previous big money signings like Keane. But for every Keane there is a Ronaldhino. A player who was for me goat at oke time then he "made it" and spent more time on endorsements etc than on the training pitch.

A key factor would be hungry players who win together then reap the rewards. Not get rewards simply by signing and then sit back for five years.

Roane

Absolute nonsense by the way. He talked Elanga through the whole game yesterday, he was the most vocal player on defensive set pieces telling players where to be and he essentially held a teamtalk in the corner when we were celebrating the 2-0 goal about staying calm and killing the game.
Yeah the team talk after the second goal was something I missed initially. Watched the highlights after and saw it.

It was good to see the players listening attentively too

Matthew1972

There is a massive difference between "tolerating mediocrity" and simply not watching or supporting the team because you've decided they aren't as good as they should be. It's nothing to do with honour, it's just what you do as a supporter, it's something deep within you that means you get yourself to that football ground, or if that's not possible then you watch them on TV. What you are doing isn't some ridiculous "I'm not going to tolerate mediocrity" badge that you think it is, it's basically outing yourself as a fan of success rather than a fan of the club so if you gravitate towards "enjoyment without tether" there are plenty of other football clubs available if you enjoy watching football but not Manchester United.

And if you think a persons happiness should rest on whether their team is winning or not then firstly, I pity you and secondly, sport as a concept probably isn't for you. Maybe stick to shows with pre-determined outcomes like the theatre or WWE.
<chuckling> "it's just what you do as a supporter" I used to be you but then I evolved. You sound like a woman who stays in an abusive relationship because every once in a while he kisses you and says sorry. Not interested in WWE, but I am interested in greatness. That's what made me a fan to start. It's like the Big Mac. You love the Big Mac, and eat it for years. Then one day to cut costs they begin using a lesser quality meat and remove the special sauce. You still gonna eat the Big Mac?

Look, I'm still a fan, my problem is more with the organization constantly making bad choices, and I mean CONSTANTLY. Not watching or not spending money on their product is the only economic means I have to send a message that this is not good enough. Also, it saves me from having to watch them be embarrassed by lesser clubs. I'd love to get excited about them. I dream of coming to Manchester one day to watch them at OT. But it will never happen like this.

Redlyn

City Have set a high bar. They have (at least) two players for every position. They are never not at full strength. Bringing in McGinn to provide competition for McTominay would be great. They’re both good footballers that should be able to play 25-30 matches each, entering every one of those games at peak fitness. That’s where City have taken things. Every player that starts must be 100%.
Depressed just reading this frankly.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
One highly consistent midfielder would go a long way. 7/10 every week.

Varane around town

We're missing a top class consistent midfielder who can link progress the ball and give the defence a bit of protection. Also, we need t bring in a modern RB. Neither AWB or Dalot are good enough.

We need more than two players of course, but every time we play these gaps leap out on me.