The ugly face of racism in English football

Conor

How can a person that young, from the bog arse of Ireland, even hold such racist thoughts? Baffles the mind.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
The lad who sent it has photos with people who I assume are or were his 'friends' that are black too. It's scary how common that probably is - people who hold these disgraceful views/send these types of messages while acting innocent in public.

Things like this reply don't help either. I know that she is trying to mean well in what she says but it completely misses the point.
Yeah I was thinking of signing up to Twitter just to tell this Amy person that just ignoring it won't really solve anything. What a bad take from her.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I don’t even understand the Ronaldo comments. Ian Wright is always complimentary of R9.
One of the tweets suggested it was because the lad was playing a football game (maybe FIFA). Unclear but seemed to suggest the lad had an issue with the ratings given on the game... or their performances. Something odd and wishy washy

Nah, he’s not been hacked just sorry he got exposed. Why he’s done it I’ll never know absolutely senseless all together. :houllier:
If the police are investigating it will take Instagram all of about 5 minutes to check if he was really hacked or not.

Deery

Dreary
Could you imagine how Ian Wright must feel after all he’s done and achieved to be getting abuse like this off a wee teenage prick from the arsehole of nowhere, just because of his skin colour. Really is saddening.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Hope that kid absolutely shts himself at the fallout from this and learns a massive lesson in life.

Imagine being stupid enough to write such bile under your own name on line?! Beyond words.

Kostov

I imagine footballers get sent stuff like this frequently but just ignore it. It makes you wonder about the kind of person that just thinks "you know what, let me send racist messages to a player who retired 20 years ago".

Christ, that's a vile little shit. How can someone so young develop such hate, and he obviously has a friend from another race. Hypocrit and vile bastard

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Not sure if this is the right thread but there's a great documentary which has just aired on BBC, now available on iplayer. Called Anton Ferdinand: Racism, football and me.

Revolves roughly around the Anton Ferdinand Terry case unsurprisingly but delves a bit further into how the whole thing happened and the aftermath and effect it had on Anton and his family.

Short segment on Henderson talking about the Suarez incident and the t-shirts towards the end too.

Excellent watch and also quite harrowing if I'm honest. Incredibly sad to see how it affected him and perhaps his career trajectory too.

Interestingly, found out that kick it out is funded by the FA and the PL etc.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Was a good and emotional watch, I think everyone who was laughing at Gary Neville's suggestion of diversity training yesterday needs to watch it.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Just seen that documentary, it was harrowing stuff for Anton and the effect on his family. The sheer incompetence of the FA on how they dealt with the situation is clear to see.
Also saw this last night. The most harrowing outcome of this incident is that the victim, Anton Ferdinand, was the one who bore the worst detrimental impact to his life, despite not doing anything wrong at all. The subsequent racist abuse he got from anonymous coward online trolls was very difficult to learn about. Poor mans life and career was ruined because of the psychological damage it caused him which proves that in UK, racism does far more than just psychologically injure people. There should be a mechanism for him and others to be able to sue the abusers for damages.

It also goes to show that people who claim victims are using 'the race card' have no comprehension whatsoever of the effects of racist abuse, or do so because they have deep racist views and/or are also practicing racists.

Was a good and emotional watch, I think everyone who was laughing at Gary Neville's suggestion of diversity training yesterday needs to watch it.
Am so glad Gary Neville was absolute and definitive in his commentary, and that the major organisations like FA, Sky and even clubs like Manchester United are reaching a point of zero tolerance. Its been a very long fight, lasting over 40 years, and so many innocent people have been injured.
It was very weird for me to hear people in Cavani thread that Neville had done something wrong by insisting D&I education be mandatory at all football clubs, just like it has been at all credible employers. Its a great step

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The thing people forgot or didn't realise in all of it was that Anton Ferdinand was an unwilling participant. He didn't hear Terry say it, he didn't report it to the police and he wasn't the one pursuing the charges against Terry in court and he wasn't the reason Terry's England career went up in smoke. Yet he was treated as if he was. I remember the aftermath of Terry losing the England captaincy and that whole season Ferdinand would get booed in a lot of stadiums, which struck me as irrational, even as a Chelsea fan who felt inclined to believe Terry's version of events.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The thing people forgot or didn't realise in all of it was that Anton Ferdinand was an unwilling participant. He didn't hear Terry say it, he didn't report it to the police and he wasn't the one pursuing the charges against Terry in court and he wasn't the reason Terry's England career went up in smoke. Yet he was treated as if he was. I remember the aftermath of Terry losing the England captaincy and that whole season Ferdinand would get booed in a lot of stadiums, which struck me as irrational, even as a Chelsea fan who felt inclined to believe Terry's version of events.
His defence was laughable though, you would have to be the most bias Chelsea fan to buy it, but in the end he was a coward who ended up lying about Anton, this obviously gave racist trolls more ammunition , he would have got a lot more credibility if he just owned up to it and admitted he made a big error in the heat of the moment.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I’ll have to watch the doc but if Neville was talking specifically about Cavani I’m not surprised people found it amusing. Cavani doesn’t need diversity training.
He said everyone needs it even himself, which is true, everyone from every background needs it.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
His defence was laughable though, you would have to be the most bias Chelsea fan to buy it, but in the end he was a coward who ended up lying about Anton, this obviously gave racist trolls more ammunition , he would have got a lot more credibility if he just owned up to it and admitted he made a big error in the heat of the moment.
I was a teenager at the time and I fully believed it. mostly because it came out of the blue and there hadn't even been a hint of a problem of that nature with Terry but also because I was indeed a very biased Chelsea fan.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I was a teenager at the time and I fully believed it. mostly because it came out of the blue and there hadn't even been a hint of a problem of that nature with Terry but also because I was indeed a very biased Chelsea fan.
I understand that, out of curiosity now you are a bit older and can see all the facts, have you changed your mind on it?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Lots of Liverpool fans, perhaps of your age at the time, also believed Liverpool’s defence of Suarez at the time of his incident with Evra, until authorities made their decision.

Some still think Suarez was innocent. I’m left wondering what their underlying motive is to do so.

it’s a tricky one, but I think clubs shouldn’t be allowed to comment or offer support to the accused (eg Liverpool tee shirt!) in these incidents as it can cause biases that cant subsequently be changed.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I understand that, out of curiosity now you are a bit older and can see all the facts, have you changed your mind on it?
Well he's certainly not innocent, and though context is important to fully understand any situation, I don't believe Terry was responding to some random accusation. I think it was a heat of the moment reaction to Ferdinand's own jesting about Terry's private life. What annoys now looking back is that Terry drew a line under the whole thing and moved on with his life, his Chelsea career continued to prosper, while Ferdinand was left with the weight of it all on his shoulders, the death threats, the racist trolls, and he never really managed to escape it. I can relate to Ferdinand in this aspect. We all get sucked into the tribal nature of being a football fan sometimes, and I still come across fans who view this doc as a continued smear campaign against Terry.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Lots of Liverpool fans, perhaps of your age at the time, also believed Liverpool’s defence of Suarez at the time of his incident with Evra, until authorities made their decision.

Some still think Suarez was innocent. I’m left wondering what their underlying motive is to do so.

it’s a tricky one, but I think clubs shouldn’t be allowed to comment or offer support to the accused (eg Liverpool tee shirt!) in these incidents as it can cause biases that cant subsequently be changed.
For what it's worth, I think it's mostly tribalism. I remember discussing the Suarez thing at the time and my view at the time was that if we flipped the roles and, say, it was a Vidic vs Glen Johnson case, the views of the two fanbases would be also be reversed, so sadly it wasn't a question of moral outrage, it was just a your club vs my club thing. Many Chelsea fans, who still believe and defend Terry, criticised and mocked Liverpool's t-shirt support of Suarez and those same Liverpool fans, who supported Suarez, call Terry a racist pos.

Crimson King

It never gained the attention that the Terry/Ferdinand incident did, but something vaguely similar happened between Gaetan Bong and Jay Rodriguez a couple of years ago. It might have already been mentioned in this thread, in which case I apologise, but basically Rodriguez wasn't charged because nobody else heard what was said and it couldn't be proven. It was one man's word against another. It may have been a genuine misunderstanding, only Rodriguez knows that.

Regardless of what was actually said, every time Brighton played Burnley after that incident the Burnley fans would boo Bong every time he touched the ball. He didn't even have to be on the pitch; they'd boo him and shout abuse if he was warming up on the touchline. He and his family also received a lot of online abuse.

That was quite shocking to see for me personally. It really opened my eyes to racism in the UK.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The worst thing about the whole Terry-Ferdinand affair is not that racist trolls were given the green light to abuse him and his family further but people I considered intelligent and rational Chelsea fans felt that Terry was the innocent party in all this and that the court judgement exonerated him. They never even considered the judgement of the court that stated that it there was no doubt that he used the words but had to accept his argument(ridiculous as it was) that he was repeating the words he felt Ferdinand used...

Fans can become so clouded by their affection for one their own heroes that they are willing to overlook massive personality flaws

croadyman

The worst thing about the whole Terry-Ferdinand affair is not that racist trolls were given the green light to abuse him and his family further but people I considered intelligent and rational Chelsea fans felt that Terry was the innocent party in all this and that the court judgement exonerated him. They never even considered the judgement of the court that stated that it there was no doubt that he used the words but had to accept his argument(ridiculous as it was) that he was repeating the words he felt Ferdinand used...

Fans can become so clouded by their affection for one their own heroes that they are willing to overlook massive personality flaws
Yeah seeing those Chelsea fans outside court on the documentary defending his actions made me feel sick, hopefully some of them saw that the other night and feel guilty about the pain and distress they have caused Anton. Some of the tweets he received were absolutely bang out of order and could have led to him doing something stupid in his frame of mind.

Siorac

This doesn't necessarily mean racism is on the rise though; it might mean that people are more willing to call it out and report it which would be a good thing.

Of course that's the optimistic scenario...

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
This doesn't necessarily mean racism is on the rise though; it might mean that people are more willing to call it out and report it which would be a good thing.

Of course that's the optimistic scenario...
Very surprised if in one year there’s such a rapid rise in people being more willing to report racism.

top1whoisman

Scout
Very surprised based on what exactly?
In terms of the society and attitudes changing in one year so drastically that a big portion of that rise is due to people being more eager to report racism rather than the actual amount of racism (and other forms of discrimination) being on the rise.

top1whoisman

Scout
Racism remains the most common form of discrimination in professional and grassroots football, accounting for 49.3% of all reports. It accounted for just over half of all reports at grassroots level.

The biggest increase by discrimination type last season concerned sexism and misogyny, with reports rising 400%. That figure includes a rise in online abuse towards female players and supporters, from one report in 2021‑22 to 46 last season. Online abuse rose overall by 279%, with 281 reports compared with 74 in 2021-22.