The ugly face of racism in English football

redshaw

There's a clip of him pointing out to the ref or players that the supporters are making monkey gestures at him, somewhat surprised it hasn't kicked out in the stands if you're stood there blatantly making monkey gestures at players.
Yes, the reports have changed now.

I predicted that racism would rear it's ugly head again about two years ago maybe on here. England went a long time without much incident but I felt it was still there. Many would point the finger at other countries in the last 20 years thinking we're better, PL grounds in particular but that's all changed now.

Dante

Average bang
I'm just saying that footballers have been called donkeys for years (black or white).
At least when I lived in England and whenever I've been back that had been my experience. I've never known it to be racist and only aimed at black players.

I missed a sitter when I was playing and the baying and donkey chants rang out along with "ee aw ee aw ee always does that"
Granted it was only amateur.
I don't doubt that. But it doesn't mean that the phrase hasn't picked up a prejudicial bent in the intervening time.

People thoughout history have been criticised for being greedy or money-grubbing. But over time, it begun to be used overwhelmingly about Jewish people in the West (whilst still being considered a negative trait among non-Jews). Words change and stereotypes can sometimes drive that change.

I don't necessarily think that people are doing it deliberately. But I do think that it's a troubling bit of word-association that posters seem to rely on in the heat of the moment.

The Bloody-Nine

Yep. Fellaini, Crouch and Andy Carroll are a few recent guys labelled as "donkeys". Basically a big, clumsy looking player.
Exactly. Imagine attempting to portray 'donkey' or 'brainless' as racist. It's stupid shit like this that has diluted the term 'racist' to being practically meaningless today.

Dante

Average bang
Keown was called a monkey. Doesn't mean that particular epithet can't be used in a prejudicial way.

Just because some uses of the word aren't racist, doesn't mean they all aren't.

As I posted previously, the likes of Rashford, Fred, Willian and Lingard have all been called it in recent weeks. Hardly any white players have, though, despite plenty of them being big and clumsy.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I find it very difficult to believe that people are doing monkey chants at PL football matches in 2019 - pretty much every team has black players in it, are people really that thick?
It's not about being thick or not, it's about getting the reaction. Just see what's happening with Italian football, not even football itself or the fans but even the media. You really think it all is a coincidence? They want the attention and they're getting it.

It's the same with the scum that go on with the racist abuse. They don't really give a shit about skin colour or anything, they just want to hit where they know it hurts. Remember that feckhead who was mocking iirc Arter's dead kid?

The biggest shame is that the football authorities, coppers, govt or whothefeckever cannot deal with it all. I cannot believe that in the times of omnipresent CCTV (especially in the UK) they're struggling to get charges in, and if they are indeed pressing them, that they do not work as a fear factor for the further morons who try it over and over again. Surely at some point you just have to run out of racists if you keep perma-banning them from sports venues and lock some of them up.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
How do you see the situation playing out.?

I think there will be an incident where a player walks off, about 3-4 teammates follow him. Other team doesn't see the point and just kicks the ball around because who wants to score a goal and celebrate when the other team has 7 players. The ref stops the game and asks the Home team to make an announcement. Players come back and the match is continued in weird atmosphere.
The victim walks off and the rest will show solidarity with their teammate and follow him off. It will be pre determined that they all go off.

Fair fecks to Neville that he feels he should have done it 15 years ago and looking at him I am sure he wishes he had and been a trailblazer.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Keown was called a monkey. Doesn't mean that particular epithet can't be used in a prejudicial way.

Just because some uses of the word aren't racist, doesn't mean they all aren't.

As I posted previously, the likes of Rashford, Fred, Willian and Lingard have all been called it in recent weeks. Hardly any white players have, though, despite plenty of them being big and clumsy.
Just search "donkey" on this site. Maguire, Matic, Pereira, Shaw and even Ole have all been called it in the last few weeks ( I stopped looking after that).

I think Daniel James is the only player you have thats not been called a donkey on here!

The Bloody-Nine

That was my point. Evidence of absence isn't absence of evidence.

The bolded part is extremely offensive.
:lol:

There are people who are genuinely discriminated against and persecuted because of the colour of their skin. And you are on here, trying to argue that 'brainless' and 'donkey' are racist terms. You should be ashamed of yourself.

The Bloody-Nine

Just search "donkey" on this site. Maguire, Matic, Pereira, Shaw and even Ole have all been called it in the last few weeks ( I stopped looking after that).

I think Daniel James is the only player you have thats not been called a donkey on here!
He's a full of shit troll. Imagine that. Ignore time.

Dante

Average bang

You're looking for a clean cut delineation between usage and the race of the target. That's never going to exist. But the trends ore overwhelmingly clear.

So did I. I saw one mention of Maguire and one mention of Pereira. Nothing for Shaw or Ole. But dozens for everybody else.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
You're looking for a clean cut delineation between usage and the race of the target. That's never going to exist. But the trends ore overwhelmingly clear.

So did I. I saw one mention of Maguire and one mention of Pereira. Nothing for Shaw or Ole. But dozens for everybody else.
I just looked again, fair enough the Shaw one was about Young (something like "Shaw is out, now that donkey will play" and one accusing Ole of riding donkeys.

I guess I can only speak for myself, I've honestly never heard it used in a racial way (and over my years watching Chelsea and playing Sunday league, I've heard a lot) and its always a footballing insult.

Johan07

I find it very difficult to believe that people are doing monkey chants at PL football matches in 2019 - pretty much every team has black players in it, are people really that thick?
Eh? Yes.

Dante

Average bang
I just looked again, fair enough the Shaw one was about Young (something like "Shaw is out, now that donkey will play" and one accusing Ole of riding donkeys.

I guess I can only speak for myself, I've honestly never heard it used in a racial way (and over my years watching Chelsea and playing Sunday league, I've heard a lot) and its always a footballing insult.
That's fair enough. And I honestly commend you for being willing to ask the question of yourself.

I see the issue as being the flipside of the 'black players are strong and quick' trope: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-lazy-black-player-stereotype.443607/

I don't think that everybody who uses the term 'donkey' is racist. Not even close. Billy Blaggs was right to bring up the history of the word. However, words get misappropriated all the time.

In the same way that new young players are often compared to ex-players of the same race, there's an unconscious bias to the things that people see, and the way they then articulate them. I agree that 'donkey' can be used in a non-prejudicial way. But when it's used almost exclusively against one sub-section of people about 95% of the time, it's only reasonable to analyse why.

Sometimes we're conditioned to jump to easy conclusions without realising it. If you can accept that black players are praised primarily for their pace and athletecism, it's not much of a stretch to then accept that they may be disproportionately criticised as being 'donkeys'. Whether it's intentional or not, is another matter. But, as I've said, the trends are clear in terms of the numbers.

Last edited:

Sara125

One poster on BM seems to think that Nev only said all that to distract from De Gea and the ‘rags’...you can’t make it up :lol:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
That originates from the pundits, commentators, and journalists . Have you ever heard a black players praised for intelligence or movement etc? Even Pogba they always focus on his strength and physical aspect, yet if a genuinely thick guy like Rooney did half the passes that Pogba could do they’d be saying “what an intelligent pass by Rooney”...
Rooney is an intelligent player (footballing wise). And so does Pogba.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Rooney is an intelligent player (footballing wise). And so does Pogba.
Not really. His attributes at his peak were raw energy, strength, power and drive. As he got older we saw that footballing wise he was rather limited especially when he played number 10 or CM. And just did the same thing over and over again , and run around like a headless chicken

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
That Italian artist believed the same thing about monkeys.

That doesn't mean you're not both wrong.
I said donkey.
You’re the one that mentioned monkey.
imo, donkey can be used for all races. As mentioned above it’s typically used for big, clumsy players, with no regard to their race.

I know I’m not the arbiter of how words are used/interpreted and I know the use evolves I’d like to see evidence of how it became a racist term.

Jericholyte2

I would have there be a ruling whereby if a player of a club is receiving such abuse then the game is cancelled, like Nev Cole and Souness mentioned.

No question about it, just straight off but then to also award the victory to the offended team, as with any forfeit a mandatory 3-0 loss.

I know the immediate reaction is to ask about the potential abuse of this but that’s why each instance would be investigated in the knowledge of a fake or unfounded accusation would result in the forfeiture for your own team.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think that little disclaimer at the end sums up nicely what's wrong surcharge parts of the media and how it can easily be abused to normalize extreme views.

Josep Dowling

I’m curious if this new intervention policy is actually have the opposite effect? Are some fans looking at the situation now and thinking my teams lost anyway I may as well try to get the game abandoned.

Spurs were losing 2-0 and just had Son sent off. Seems a bit coincidental that the racist abuse started when the game was basically lost.

If they abandon the game what actually happens, who gets the 3 points? Is the game replayed?

Given what happened today surely the only way to deal with that is to have Spurs play a home game behind closed doors. Given the issues they have had with racism and a strong Jewish following I can’t believe Spurs would have such issues. I know every club has idiot fans but still.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
It's not about being thick or not, it's about getting the reaction. Just see what's happening with Italian football, not even football itself or the fans but even the media. You really think it all is a coincidence? They want the attention and they're getting it.

It's the same with the scum that go on with the racist abuse. They don't really give a shit about skin colour or anything, they just want to hit where they know it hurts. Remember that feckhead who was mocking iirc Arter's dead kid?

The biggest shame is that the football authorities, coppers, govt or whothefeckever cannot deal with it all. I cannot believe that in the times of omnipresent CCTV (especially in the UK) they're struggling to get charges in, and if they are indeed pressing them, that they do not work as a fear factor for the further morons who try it over and over again. Surely at some point you just have to run out of racists if you keep perma-banning them from sports venues and lock some of them up.
The thing is that Ive been to 100s of football matches and never once heard a monkey chant and now all of a sudden there are supposedly 2 at high profile matches in the space of a few weeks - a bizarre situation

I dont even know what happened to the bloke who was arrested after the Manc Derby - not seen any details about whether it was supposed to be one bloke or more today either

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Last I heard the Manc derby guy was arrested and bailed. Presumably there’ll be more to follow.
Oh yeah, feck Sky Sports!

Ludens the Red

It's not about being thick or not, it's about getting the reaction. Just see what's happening with Italian football, not even football itself or the fans but even the media. You really think it all is a coincidence? They want the attention and they're getting it.It's the same with the scum that go on with the racist abuse. They don't really give a shit about skin colour or anything, they just want to hit where they know it hurts. Remember that feckhead who was mocking iirc Arter's dead kid?

People don’t realise this but the criminal justice system in this country is a disgrace. As in a complete and utter disgrace, the things that people get away with would blow your mind.
I was racially abused on camera direct to my face, the entire incident in clear light and day with perfect sound and it took over a year for the person to be prosecuted and even then they attempted to lower the charging decision, only because the victim had a change of heart and decided to confess and apologise was the initial charge allowed to stand.
There is no deterrent, people know they can get away with it. All that happens is they get abused on social media for about a week than everything is forgotten about and the charges will be dropped for the court case 15 months later due to ‘insufficient evidence’.

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
Rooney gets called stupid all the time. Pogba never has been from what I can remember.

You're making shit up to suit a pre-determined fantasy.

There are plenty of things to complain about when it comes to racism in society without inventing a strawman.
You're missing his point. His point is that praise for black players appears to be purely based around their physical attributes.

So either black players simply aren't that intelligent, or there's an underlying issue that results in them never being recognised for being intelligent.

Quick question- can you name 5 intelligent black players?

Thunderhead

Supports
City
You're missing his point. His point is that praise for black players appears to be purely based around their physical attributes.

So either black players simply aren't that intelligent, or there's an underlying issue that results in them never being recognised for being intelligent.

here's 6 off the top of my head, took less than 10 seconds

Mane
Sterling
Kante
Alcantara
Sancho
Fernandinho

Kostur

海尔的老板
The thing is that Ive been to 100s of football matches and never once heard a monkey chant and now all of a sudden there are supposedly 2 at high profile matches in the space of a few weeks - a bizarre situation

I dont even know what happened to the bloke who was arrested after the Manc Derby - not seen any details about whether it was supposed to be one bloke or more today either
I think that the problem is a bit more complex and it's all sort of guess work. I think that in the case of the UK the problem is that for some time you guys have 'believed in your own hype', as in it was the Eastern Europe that was deemed a racist backwards shithole (probably rightfully so to an extent) whereas racism was thought to have been combatted and done with (the obvious and clear one, not at the institutional level) in the West. You've had programmes like Panorama prior to Euro 2012 in Poland and Ukraine absolutely shit smearing those two countries, you've had high profile people like Sol Campbell telling people not to go to the Euro because they'll come back in body bags, and so on, and so forth. It sort of lulls the people into believing that 'those things only happen in X', which quite frankly happens in every sphere of life and on every subject. So with the problem 'not existing here', we sort of ease off on the education part (which imo is the most important one), let smaller incidents be, don't dig into the problem, it's just that the topic is no longer generating clicks so the media don't give one feck about it (and I'm of the opinion that the media play probably the biggest part in the problem). I mean, even off the top of my head you've had some cnut at Stamford Bridge doing the monkey gestures at Welbeck back in what, Fergie times? Or Moyes season? You've had some FA fixture a couple of years ago where somebody died because he was confronted by some hooligans who abused him, you've had Chelsea fans kicking off some guy off the tube in Paris because he was black. Was there as much discussion, outrage and high figures speaking out at those moments? No. Because the subject wasn't as trendy as it is now.

And this is the biggest problem imo. Combatting racism, homophobia, fascism, etc., etc., is done in bursts when it's a hot topic, instead of steady and vigilant way in an extended period with the biggest focus on education. Now what happens is going into extremes, something that oftentimes reminds me of how Red Scare worked in the USA, where anything is going to be labelled '-ist' or '-phobic' which does more harm in diluting the actual term and problem by the groups who, apparently, care so much to combat aforementioned phenomena. The narrative is also very often biased and hypocritical, perpetuated by the media (of either side of the conflict) so we end up with having '-ists' and '-isms' that are okay and that are not okay. We have 'our guys' who might do some disgusting shit but we turn a blind eye to it, and we have 'their guys' who'll get labelled with '-isms' and '-ists' at the slightest occasion possible just to get the mob and narrative against them. And most people will lap up to this shit, because it reinforces their world outlook, because they have a fancy topic to talk about at work, meetings, whatever and because the feeling that they are a part of some community, a group, a movement.

There's simply no stopping it I guess. It's not in anybody's business.

People don’t realise this but the criminal justice system in this country is a disgrace. As in a complete and utter disgrace, the things that people get away with would blow your mind.
I was racially abused on camera direct to my face, the entire incident in clear light and day with perfect sound and it took over a year for the person to be prosecuted and even then they attempted to lower the charging decision, only because the victim had a change of heart and decided to confess and apologise was the initial charge allowed to stand.
There is no deterrent, people know they can get away with it. All that happens is they get abused on social media for about a week than everything is forgotten about and the charges will be dropped for the court case 15 months later due to ‘insufficient evidence’.
It is and has been an absolute shitstain in Poland for years too. I guess it's the case of the grass being greener here. I think that the 'taking it into your own hands' only adds to the problem (while I myself don't really mind it, given that most of the cnuts who get the abuse simply deserve it, which is a very simplistic way of thinking focusing on primal urges more than anything but hey), because it sort of mandates vitrol and abuse, which then will have a counterweight (Newton's 3rd law of motion in social context basically) of more morons spewing their shit purely to annoy the other side, which eventually ends up with bizzare situations like the current on in Italian media. It's a vicious circle of sorts. It sort of creates this narrative of 'oh, so the guy got fired from his job and abused on the social media? Well then, he got what he deserved so there's the justice'. That's not justice though, that's anarchy. But as you've said, with the justice system being an absolute clusterfeck it's always going to end up with people taking care of the problem, which only creates new problems if anything else.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That originates from the pundits, commentators, and journalists . Have you ever heard a black players praised for intelligence or movement etc? Even Pogba they always focus on his strength and physical aspect, yet if a genuinely thick guy like Rooney did half the passes that Pogba could do they’d be saying “what an intelligent pass by Rooney”...
Yes, plenty of times. Claude Makelele literally had a position named after him because of his positional awareness and game intelligence.

Easy. Sterling, Mane, van Dijk, Kante, Mbappe. Barely even had to think for 2 seconds.

Cloud7

In before someone comes in talking about harsher punishments being draconian and having no place in a modern society apparently. I’ve had this discussion before on here:lol:

ShinjiNinja26

Nev was spot on again.

Fair play to Gary Neville completely agree with him there, but what a cnutish move from Sky! What does that even mean that standing up against racism isn’t their view then? Dave Jones is a fecking coward as well, even if there was someone in his ear telling him to say that he could’ve said he personally agreed with Nevilles statement as well. Instead he comes out with some bollocks about having a “balanced view“ Racism should be eradicated there’s no other side to that argument.