Music The Ultimate Metal thread.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
@Suv666 (damn name change messed up my tag), check the one i posted.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Been listening to Vulgar Display of Power on the way to work this week. Still so awesome

DavelinaJolie

At work today I listened to And Justice For All and Ride the Lightning. Amazing albums, still. Felt refreshed after listening to them for the first time in years.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Does anyone here listen to Beartooth? It's like ADTR but angrier. Metalcore mixed with a bit of screaming.

Suv666

@Suv666 (damn name change messed up my tag), check the one i posted.
Yup changed me username. I'm anon now.
Holy feck dude that drummer is insane!!
I've never really been a big fan of melo death except Amon Amarth, At The Gates and COB but that was amazing.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Been listening to Vulgar Display of Power on the way to work this week. Still so awesome
Awesome album. Saw them live playing almost the whole album in 92 I think. I remember before the show at the venue they played Helmet, and Clawfinger! Anybody remembers those?

Grylte

Awesome album. Saw them live playing almost the whole album in 92 I think. I remember before the show at the venue they played Helmet, and Clawfinger! Anybody remembers those?
I listened to Clawfinger quite recently. Love the biggest the best, use to tell people it's about me, and actually has it as my song on tinder :lol:

Suv666

This is nice. But man, the 80s/early 90s high pitched falsetto vibrato singing, how was that ever considered to be a cool thing to do :D
I love shrieking vocals though I can see why most folks might not enjoy them.
Also probably these guys who made them cool

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
I listened to Clawfinger quite recently. Love the biggest the best, use to tell people it's about me, and actually has it as my song on tinder :lol:
Haha that’s crazy. Biggest & the best is brilliant.

Remember the song N.... ? That would not be played or listened to in today’s climate. Back then it was like whoa, listen to the lyrics, the guys have a message!

DavelinaJolie

Remember the song N.... ? That would not be played or listened to in today’s climate. Back then it was like whoa, listen to the lyrics, the guys have a message!
God yes, to be honest even then I thought it was questionable.

Since I saw the Artillery post upthread all I can think about is listening to Coroner, guess I'll be doing that later.

Grylte

Long time ago, but i think i remember that song being anti racist?
Would never be allowed that song title today, the PC police would go crazy :lol:

Grylte

Waiting for Avatar to get om stage.
Hyped

Ainu

Been listening to some excellent, hypnotic, droning, blackened doom lately. Really looking forward to Wolvennest's upcoming show at Roadburn Festival next month:

Another gem is Wyatt E., who play something similar, but less blackened and if possible even more hypnotic and psychedelic. This is as slow as it gets, dark, repetitive, droning and magnificent. The Middle Eastern influences give it an extra mysterious vibe.

HarlanEiffler

Venom Prison have a new album out - the new band of the former Wolf Down Frontwoman - I like it, and I'm not that much into metal.

Also, Dawn Ray'd are just really great

King_Eric

Truly one of the best metal bands of the last decade in my opinion. Brutally beautiful and beautifully brutal.

And what a drummer.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

I don't know if this should even be in the metal thread, it's catchy synth pop that won't leave my head

Just in case the 'stein have irrevocably ruined my credibility, what an odd vocal for death metal

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
So far my concert itinerary for 2019:

Sat July 27 - Iron Maiden (Brooklyn)
Sun Oct 6 - Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Pentagram (Santiago)
Mon Oct 7 - Scorpions/Whitesnake (Santiago)

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Although the days when i could listen to power metal all day long are far behind me, there are certain albums of the genre which hold a very special place in my heart. Holy Land by Angra is one of these albums. Its spectacular compositions and the fine musicianship of the band did more than impress me as a young teenager but it was later on when the chores of adult life came along with the inevitable bad choices & mistakes we all make and we can't make right, that i truly appreciated the album's message.

So, the sad news of Andre Matos' unexpected death from heart failure at the age of 47 really did hurt me. The metal community has lost many fine people in recent years but because of my special bond to Holy Land, this felt like losing someone i knew.

So long Andre and thanks for all the good music... Carolina IV took a river to the sky and on this journey she took with her one of the best musicians of his generation. :(

Kapardin

Although the days when i could listen to power metal all day long are far behind me, there are certain albums of the genre which hold a very special place in my heart. Holy Land by Angra is one of these albums. Its spectacular compositions and the fine musicianship of the band did more than impress me as a young teenager but it was later on when the chores of adult life came along with the inevitable bad choices & mistakes we all make and we can't make right, that i truly appreciated the album's message.

So, the sad news of Andre Matos' unexpected death from heart failure at the age of 47 really did hurt me. The metal community has lost many fine people in recent years but because of my special bond to Holy Land, this felt like losing someone i knew.

So long Andre and thanks for all the good music... Carolina IV took a river to the sky and on this journey she took with her one of the best musicians of his generation. :(

Angra...one of the first bands I listened to when I was getting into metal back in 2000. Brings back memories. I remember liking Temple of Shadows (if I got the name correct) once they hired the new vocalist after Matos passed away.

Blind Guardian is the only Power Metal band I can listen to nowadays. That, and anything by Luca Turilli, who is a master at fusing classical elements into his music and is a terrific guitarist.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

I went to see Angra live back in 1999. Andre Matos had definitely one of the most beautiful voices ever, specially live, so clean. Good Ol' days. Such an emotional music. Angra's first 3 albums will always be special to me.

RIP maestro :(

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

RIP

Far too early.

The last 2 Angra have been great though.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Mojo_

its more fun being a feeder
Tool are finally releasing their material on all digital streaming services, this Friday! MJK on Joe Rogan last night.

New album 30th August too :)

Minkaro

Wacken are streaming live, for those interested here's the link.
Sabaton are currently playing.... on 2 stages!

https://stream2019.wacken.com/?_ga=...iPH5aqZjFhJhvGhBgzveKNVdRlDcLwzZmfLqG4r3CYcSQ
I'm watching it now (at this link, not sure if yours still works: https://www.magenta-musik-360.de/sabaton-9208205928595185921)

Got tickets to see them in London. Can't wait to see Bismarck live. I would have liked The Attack of the Dead Men, but that's just me being a picky fecker.

Grylte

I'm watching it now (at this link, not sure if yours still works: https://www.magenta-musik-360.de/sabaton-9208205928595185921)

Got tickets to see them in London. Can't wait to see Bismarck live. I would have liked The Attack of the Dead Men, but that's just me being a picky fecker.
Only saw half of their show, wasn't that impressed, i'm sorry to say.
I think Sabaton are alright, but not the biggest fan. Seen a couple live performances before who looked great, but this one on Wacken, the singer sounded quite exhausted, bad breathing etc. A bit weird, as i have seen him running around on stage while singing before. Probably just getting older and out of shape, like the rest of us :lol:

Minkaro

Only saw half of their show, wasn't that impressed, i'm sorry to say.
I think Sabaton are alright, but not the biggest fan. Seen a couple live performances before who looked great, but this one on Wacken, the singer sounded quite exhausted, bad breathing etc. A bit weird, as i have seen him running around on stage while singing before. Probably just getting older and out of shape, like the rest of us :lol:
Speak for yourself, I have the body of a god.

(Thor, in Avenger's Endgame to be precise).

Grylte

Speak for yourself, I have the body of a god.

(Thor, in Avenger's Endgame to be precise).
I randomly googled "Fat Thor" to find a picture of someone named Thor that was fat, to post here.
Aparantly Thor is fat in Endgame... i need to watch that one soon :lol:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Anyone fancy recommending me some new shit? I haven’t heard any good new metal in ages.

The only thing I’ve even slightly liked was Let Sleeping Corpses Lie from the new Bloody Hammers album, but it was the only good track on there.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Anyone fancy recommending me some new shit? I haven’t heard any good new metal in ages.

The only thing I’ve even slightly liked was Let Sleeping Corpses Lie from the new Bloody Hammers album, but it was the only good track on there.
Really? I think this year's crop has been excellent. Soen, Cult of Luna, Insomnium, Borknagar, Mayhem, Mgla, Dethspell Omega, Devin Townsend, Baroness, Alcest, all with very good offerings. Even the new Dream Theater was listenable.

My top 10 would probably look like that (in no particular order except for spot number 1 that belongs to Wilderun):

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
King Gizzard and the Wizard Lizard - Infest the Rats' Nest (thrash)

The Hu - The Gereg (Folk metal). Mongolian metal band that incorporates Mongolian instrumentation and throat singing.

Last edited:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Really? I think this year's crop has been excellent. Soen, Cult of Luna, Insomnium, Borknagar, Mayhem, Mgla, Dethspell Omega, Devin Townsend, Baroness, Alcest, all with very good offerings. Even the new Dream Theater was listenable.

My top 10 would probably look like that (in no particular order except for spot number 1 that belongs to Wilderun):

I’ve heard the new Cult Of Luna, Devy and Alcest already, the only thing I liked was the first 2 tracks from the latter. Couldn’t get into the new COL record as much as the record they put out with Julie Christmas which I liked, and maybe I didn’t give Empath enough of a chance but I wasn’t too impressed when it came out. Spiritual Instinct was ok as I said but I didn’t really find any reason to come back to it.

I’ll check out the other links though, thanks.