Television The Umbrella Academy

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
New Netflix superhero show. It's quite different to the normal stuff currently out on TV by Marvel and DC.

I stopped watching Flash/Arrow a couple years ago because they just became too childish and stupid. This seemed really good to me though, not least because it is less cheesy, has better acting and a better story.

On the finale now and despite a lull in mid season it really picks up.

Anyone else watched it?

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
If only we had a whole forum dedicated to something like, oh I dunno, Entertainment or something.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Apologies - I must have posted this in a wrong thread.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Don't apologize. It was a pretty good series
I didn't expect the end
Thanks, just finished it now. Thought it was a very good show overall.

Mods - apologies I am unsure on how to delete an entire thread. Can this be moved to the right forum?

deafepl

I thought this series is pretty good to watch. I'm just tired of Flash/Supergirl, etc batting new villains each episode, etc and meet Ultimate villain in the finale episode, it's just too predictable with no purpose of continuing the storyline.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I thought this series is pretty good to watch. I'm just tired of Flash/Supergirl, etc batting new villains each episode, etc and meet Ultimate villain in the finale episode, it's just too predictable with no purpose of continuing the storyline.
You watch Titian's? A breath of fresh air.

Anyway started watching this tonight, surprised this hasn't gotten more coverage. Better than russian doll house.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Not sure what episode I'm on, but Ellen page has a landline phone in her apartment. Didn't know those were still a thing.

AkaAkuma

Enjoying it. Dirk Gently is a similiar show - slightly more absurd.

deafepl

You watch Titian's? A breath of fresh air.

Anyway started watching this tonight, surprised this hasn't gotten more coverage. Better than russian doll house.
Titian is pretty good to watch. They have spin-off show - Doom Patrol, I'll be binge-watch them when they finish airing season.

LonelyFire

I thought it was great - interesting characters and plot unfolded at a decent pace. Reviews have been positive on the whole so will assume we’ll get a Season 2.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Not sure what episode I'm on, but Ellen page has a landline phone in her apartment. Didn't know those were still a thing.
I think they're intentionally avoiding tech in it, there's no smartphones in it either and a lot of the cars are older. My guess is it's to say that when those 45 kids were born it changed a lot on earth.

It's a really good show, plot is a bit all over the place at times but the actors (especially Robert Sheehan, who is always great) are really good, the cinematography is fantastic, it's funny, and the soundtrack is amazing. 2 more episodes to go for me.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
In one episode a character is also doing research on someone in the library by looking through newspaper microfilm. I am guessing it takes place in the 80s.

Massive Spanner

In one episode a character is also doing research on someone in the library by looking through newspaper microfilm. I am guessing it takes place in the 80s.
No it takes place in 2019. It said at the start of the show the kids were born in 1989, it also says later on they're in 2019.

As I said before, I think the point is that technology hasn't progressed in their world like it has in ours.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Where do you guys get the time to watch so many series/new series? :(
Prioritising in life.

Presumably you have more important stuff to do

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Prioritising in life.

Presumably you have more important stuff to do
Pffft...so I'd like to think B20. Routine of working, cooking, gym/football, walk the dogs....fun times.

Used to watch like 10-15 different series at any point. Now I can't even muster in 3-4. Anyway, enough derailing threads about my priorities :lol:

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Struggling to finish this. The show is simply not engaging via characters or plot. A show about the characters in their childhood getting to grips with the new living arrangement and their powers would have been much more interesting.

AkaAkuma

T5 TO
No it takes place in 2019. It said at the start of the show the kids were born in 1989, it also says later on they're in 2019.

As I said before, I think the point is that technology hasn't progressed in their world like it has in ours.
Save for the robotic mother??!!

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I read the comic, mainly because it was Gerard Way's comic. I think this is a great adaptation. Binged it in two sittings.

White Violin looked cooler in the comics

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Really gets quite good from Episode 6 and 7 on-wards. There's a lull in parts as with all shows but the unique nature of this show is more than enough to keep me intrigued.

Hazel and Cha Cha went from being meh characters to being equally interesting as a subplot as the apocalypse itself.

For those towards the end of the season I have a question:

When he goes back in time as a hit-man to take out JFK, he doesn't go through with it and actually moves across time back to 2019.. and yet we hear that JFK was assassinated. Does that mean there is a time-line where he or someone else actually went through with it?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Fun little show. It’s good to have Robert Sheenan back playing Nathan again...

Mary J Blige is not a very good actor.

Last edited:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
The big fella is ridiculous, just looks so fecking stupid, I can't take it serious.

Ellen page just plays ellen page in everything she is in ?

About 3 eps in, it's ok, but nothing that I would have about. There's gonna be some little twist somewhere. Got a few theories already.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Good show from the sick mind of my Chemical Romance frontman Gerard Way.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Started watching it tonight. Enjoyed the first episode a lot. The second one less so, but enough that I'll watch some more.

Has a good style to it so far, just seems to be dragging things out a lot already and the acting quality is bizarrely varied. Some of it's pretty good but then other people have been out acted by a cartoon monkey and a mannequin.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Fun little show. It’s good to have Robert Sheenan back playing Nathan again...

Mary J Blige is not a very good actor.
:smirk:

Finished watching it. Good little show, easy watch. Look forward to a season 2.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
One thing i didnt mention. Its obvious as feck that Way is an X-men fan.

Massive Spanner

Watched the first two episodes and they seemed a little slow. Does it pick up soon?
Personally I was hooked from the first episode but it does pick up, however there is a little lull in the middle.

It's mostly the great characters that make it though, mainly #5 and Nathan Klaus

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Watched the first two episodes and they seemed a little slow. Does it pick up soon?
I'm on episode 5. I would say it does. I felt the same about the first two episodes and maybe the third, although the first was fair enough as I don't mind a show taking time to introduce you to the set up etc.

It's pretty good considering I only started watching it because there was a talking monkey in the trailer.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
It tries your patience. All those dark brooding shots and long silences. Feck this shit. The first 3 episodes have enough content for maybe a single episode, rest were fillers. Director fell in love with his directing and forgot the audience. Started skip watching after 3 episodes and was still slow. 5 episodes down and not sure if I want to continue.

And that violin background score gets annoying pretty fast too.

Nice theme and broken characters. Bad screenplay and direction.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It tries your patience. All those dark brooding shots and long silences. Feck this shit. The first 3 episodes have enough content for maybe a single episode, rest were fillers. Director fell in love with his directing and forgot the audience. Started skip watching after 3 episodes and was still slow. 5 episodes down and not sure if I want to continue.

And that violin background score gets annoying pretty fast too.

Nice theme and broken characters. Bad screenplay and direction.
The first episode went at a break neck speed I thought.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The first episode went at a break neck speed I thought.
I liked the first episode, but off the top of ky head there was a near 10 minute violin monologue and a pointless scene of them all dancing round the house. It is a bit slow at times, but with a lot of the musical shots I forgive it or don't really notice as I think the soundtrack is one of the best things about the show.

Also like the directing style, just feel like they were stretching a bit to fill 10 episodes

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The only episode that annoyed me was the episode where they completely undid the previous episode, and then proceeded to just do most of it again. Quality padding.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The only episode that annoyed me was the episode where they completely undid the previous episode, and then proceeded to just do most of it again. Quality padding.
I didn't get that

They also all seem to be really terrible at actually using their powers

Five spent ages working out a bunch of equations or something to travel back to 2019, when he had a briefcase the whole time so could have just used that. Then he was so dumb he didn't even bring the briefcase with him. Then later he does use a briefcase to come back, which now seems to have vanished again (I'm two episodes from the end), but comes back AFTER he originally came back and left again, even though at this point several people had died.

The hairy bloke just seems to be good at being big, but then 3 episodes in gets beaten up by a fat person.

Diego can curve things round corners, so just throws toy knives round corners at people, badly, about twice.

Rumour woman doesn't even use her power until the last episode I watched, then uses it to immediately get herself killed.

Sheehan uses his power to get his dad to pretend to cut his hair.

I really like the show overall though. Seems a lot more polished than the rest of the comic book series stuff I've watched.