Television The Umbrella Academy

RedFish

Just finished this, and thought this was excellent. Just the right blend of everything. Well casted and some delightful moments. Really looking forward to season 2.

For example
No. 1's 4 yrs on the moon doing research that his father never read!.......ouch!

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I enjoyed watching the first season. I liked that a lot of the characters had a bit more depth to them, particularly the drug addict. I also like the different interaction and 'complaining about corporate' type bad guys as a change. It also felt a whole lot more polished in terms of the filming and effects than a lot of the other similar shows (I had watched titans just before)

Saying that it did have plenty of weaknesses, half of the kids powers appear to be rubbish or they don't use them. Number one, who is meant to be the strongest as per the dad just seems weak and boring. He seems to just be a big lump, that is strong, but not to much more than a normal person (He can't out muscle the pudgy assassin).

I also didn't like the bit where they just rewind an entire episode like it never happened. Might as well, just not have shown it in the first place.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I enjoyed watching the first season. I liked that a lot of the characters had a bit more depth to them, particularly the drug addict. I also like the different interaction and 'complaining about corporate' type bad guys as a change. It also felt a whole lot more polished in terms of the filming and effects than a lot of the other similar shows (I had watched titans just before)

Saying that it did have plenty of weaknesses, half of the kids powers appear to be rubbish or they don't use them. Number one, who is meant to be the strongest as per the dad just seems weak and boring. He seems to just be a big lump, that is strong, but not to much more than a normal person (He can't out muscle the pudgy assassin).

I also didn't like the bit where they just rewind an entire episode like it never happened. Might as well, just not have shown it in the first place.
I also wasn't a fan of the rewind episode, but I think the purpose of it was to hint at:

how futile their efforts were to prevent the apocalypse, because they were all directly linked to it. In the timeline from that episode, Vanya discovers the her father's notes before she properly starts using her power, Klaus sees Dave for the first time sober and in turn revealing a bit more about his power, and Luther and Allison basically get together. Most importantly, they'd pretty much given up on stopping the apocalypse. When Five interrupts and takes the timeline back, Vanya doesn't discover the notebook until she's fallen out with everyone, almost killed Allison, and practiced focusing her power. Klaus thinks he's useless, doesn't start work on his power until right near the end, and Luther ends up playing a big role in Vanya going bad, by overruling everyone and locking her up, which pisses Allison off, and then he tries the sneak attack, which pisses Allison off even more, and sees them all almost killed by Vanya, before she ends up accidentally blasting the moon.

My biggest gripe with it is how similar it seemed at times to:
X-Men's Dark Phoenix saga.

Still really enjoyed it though.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Didn’t enjoy this at all. Found it predictable & slow. Didn’t care much for the characters, except the druggie.

The music was very good though.

Sylar

So binged this over a few days recently. And really enjoyed it. And agree with this:

My biggest gripe with it is how similar it seemed at times to:
X-Men's Dark Phoenix saga.

Still really enjoyed it though.
Although that wasnt a gripe for me given how bad the two movies have been :lol:
I liked the slow turn of Vanya. Klaus was the best and I thought it was done well. Really looking to see where season 2 goes.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Shooting for the second season supposedly wrapped in late November so hopefully we'll get season two in Q1 this year. Really enjoyed S1.

b82REZ

Shooting for the second season supposedly wrapped in late November so hopefully we'll get season two in Q1 this year. Really enjoyed S1.
S1 hit in Feb/March last year and Netflix tend to keep pretty similar release schedules so hopefully itll be out in the next month or two.

Jack-C20

Been looking forward to the 2nd season after me and the other half watched the first season. Think I’ll watch anything superhero related to be fair, and it’s a bonus when she likes it as well.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I bumped into Robert Sheehan in bbq place in Toronto whilst he was filming this and had a chat with him. Fun fact.

Sylar

Been looking forward to the 2nd season after me and the other half watched the first season. Think I’ll watch anything superhero related to be fair, and it’s a bonus when she likes it as well.
Exact same as you. Getting my gf into shows is hard but she enjoyed this and binged it with me

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Might be better than the first season as hopefully that annoying monkey butler isn't in it...or is and dies sooner.

evil_geko

Might be better than the first season as hopefully that annoying monkey butler isn't in it...or is and dies sooner.
This is strange, there are lots of characters in the show that you could pick to be annoying, but butler? He was barely in the show.

Sylar

Excellent, nice to have another show to watch soon. Enjoyed season 1 esp where they went with the ending.

Sylar

I'll probably be cool with waiting a day instead of watching it and wanting to see more

Sylar

4 left and it's been good. Reckon it will all kickoff now given the build

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Rewatching season 1 because I've forgotten almost everything. I love the use of music in this, "I Think We're Alone Now" and "Dancing in the Moonlight" are brilliant scenes.

Also, 5's actor is excellent, especially so with him being so young.

RedFish

Finished it. Overall, I loved it. Not quite as tight as season 1 and loses some focus on the middle episodes, but this is really solid stuff. I particularly liked the blonde, Commision sent, hitmen scenes.

Music again excellent but nothing here beats the.stand out dance scene with Tiffany's 8 think we're alone now.

Sylar

Yeah it was great I thought. I like the addition of some of the characters

And the ending which will lead to

season 3. So reality been changed or new timeline caused with the sparrow academy, guessing due to Reginald meeting the original (well minus Ben) and thus picking new guys

Also Lila was great

roseguy64

Liked it better than season 1 I think. Intended to only watch a couple episodes and ended up watching 6 episodes by 4 am Saturday morning.

b82REZ

I enjoyed it but it was significantly worse than the first season.

They basically just rehashed the same plot but set it in the 60s. I think this season was basically to set up the story going forward and to allow them to nerf Vanya a bit.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Yeah I thought season 2 was a much tigher, better-made bit of tv personally. First one had the 'mystery' of what is going on with these people, but season 2 moved them all forward in good ways.

Few spoilery thoughts:

It makes no sense there'd be another special kid that could just have those powers. Presumably she can absorb anyone's special ability? Weren't there loads of others out there?
Feels like we were just supposed to zoom on past daddy being a lovecraft alien.
I do not understand five's stamina meter, and what recharges it. But I really liked old five, great performances from those two.
They should really just end Vanya tbh. She's pretty down right now, would probably take limited effort ;)

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I'd never heard of this until the weekend. Now I've got the last 4 of Season 2 to watch tonight.

The characters are nicely individual can see this going a few seasons yet hopefully.

Minkaro

Finished season 2 yesterday. I love this, it feels like almost anything could happen.

The guy playing Five is really good.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Enjoyed season 2 more than the first.