Television The Umbrella Academy

roseguy64

Yeah I thought season 2 was a much tigher, better-made bit of tv personally. First one had the 'mystery' of what is going on with these people, but season 2 moved them all forward in good ways.

Few spoilery thoughts:

It makes no sense there'd be another special kid that could just have those powers. Presumably she can absorb anyone's special ability? Weren't there loads of others out there?
Feels like we were just supposed to zoom on past daddy being a lovecraft alien.
I do not understand five's stamina meter, and what recharges it. But I really liked old five, great performances from those two.
They should really just end Vanya tbh. She's pretty down right now, would probably take limited effort ;)
Regarding your first spoiler, why does it not make sense?

Sylar

doesn't that part get answered by his next two questions? Ha

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Regarding your first spoiler, why does it not make sense?
Is she like a power doppleganger then? Does she have to be touching them? Near to them? And she can only do one at a time?

Just feels very odd and out of nowhere. And a touch OP ;)

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Finished season 2 yesterday. I love this, it feels like almost anything could happen.

The guy playing Five is really good.
*Edit I read that as 4* I knew I remembered him from somewhere - looked it up tonight it was Misfits. *But yeah 5 is good*

Finished it now I must have enjoyed it as I steamed through both series.

Interesting to see what they are setting up for the next one....

Sylar

Is she like a power doppleganger then? Does she have to be touching them? Near to them? And she can only do one at a time?

Just feels very odd and out of nowhere. And a touch OP ;)
They mentioned in the episode it's one at a time and yeah it's a mimick

Think it has to be when the person is trying it near her (considering she didn't touch vanya to copy)

I think given it's one at a time it means that there's the way to take her down when needed

The Cat

They mentioned in the episode it's one at a time and yeah it's a mimick

Think it has to be when the person is trying it near her (considering she didn't touch vanya to copy)

I think given it's one at a time it means that there's the way to take her down when needed
Expected there were others since the first episode - was it 40 + born and he managed to buy 7 of them?

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Expected there were others since the first episode - was it 40 + born and he managed to buy 7 of them?
Think it was 43 and he adopted 7 in Umbrella academy and then 6-7 again in the changed timeline in the Sparrow academy.

mancan92

Finished it. Overall, I loved it. Not quite as tight as season 1 and loses some focus on the middle episodes, but this is really solid stuff. I particularly liked the blonde, Commision sent, hitmen scenes.

Music again excellent but nothing here beats the.stand out dance scene with Tiffany's 8 think we're alone now.
Its way tighter than season 1. Infact that's what makes it more binge able. The story is more focused and the characters are no where near as stupid as they were ein the first season.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
My absolute favorite show at the moment. I'm on episode 5 and I couldn't wait for the weekend to binge watch the rest of it uninterrupted. Klaus is just too much. I love his character and if he wasn't fictional I'd want to be friends with him.

The Cat

My absolute favorite show at the moment. I'm on episode 5 and I couldn't wait for the weekend to binge watch the rest of it uninterrupted. Klaus is just too much. I love his character and if he wasn't fictional I'd want to be friends with him.
If you ever saw the show Misfits he was the star of that in the first season. Great quirky actor.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I saw a video of Robert Sheehan doing interviews over the years and it's possible he's not acting in this show :D

Sylar

Its way tighter than season 1. Infact that's what makes it more binge able. The story is more focused and the characters are no where near as stupid as they were ein the first season.
Yeah I agree. I think s2 was better. Maybe it helps that the main characters are all established, and we know all their powers (and motiviations)?

The kid actor for 5 is just great.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Very, very good season. Better than the first one.

Bobski

It is an enjoyable binge watch, just don't think about it too much

I think it suffers badly from a mismatch in the siblings, Klaus and Number 5 are strong characters, Vanya next tier, Luther, Diego and Allison are rather dull. Episodes that feature the latter 3 heavily tend to drag, but it is one of the better of those TV superhero shows.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I'm convinced the fact I like the soundtrack to this so much drags it up a level in my mind. I mean it's a good show anyway but I like it more than I usually like this type of stuff.

It is an enjoyable binge watch, just don't think about it too much

I think it suffers badly from a mismatch in the siblings, Klaus and Number 5 are strong characters, Vanya next tier, Luther, Diego and Allison are rather dull. Episodes that feature the latter 3 heavily tend to drag, but it is one of the better of those TV superhero shows.
I like Diego. Vanya I actually think is a bit of a dull character but Ellen Page manages to make her interesting. Allison and Luther I do find a bit dull. Even the whole racism angle hasn't made me that much more invested in Allison.

It's nitpicking really though as I think in general the characters are far better and less two dimensional than in other superhero type shows...baring Watchmen but then that was on a different level in general.

Bobski

I'm convinced the fact I like the soundtrack to this so much drags it up a level in my mind. I mean it's a good show anyway but I like it more than I usually like this type of stuff.

I like Diego. Vanya I actually think is a bit of a dull character but Ellen Page manages to make her interesting. Allison and Luther I do find a bit dull. Even the whole racism angle hasn't made me that much more invested in Allison.

It's nitpicking really though as I think in general the characters are far better and less two dimensional than in other superhero type shows...baring Watchmen but then that was on a different level in general.
Watchmen has a far more serious tone compared to this, they can do social issues in a impactful way because it is core to the source material.

I thnk you also see this in how they deal with the Sissy/Vanya/Carl trio, they had a nuanced scenario set up there and they go for the easy out of making Carl mildly villainous. The strength of the show is visual comedy, snappy dialouge, action and music scenes, anything deeper is a struggle.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Man the characters on this show really annoy me, and too many stupid montages.

Number 5 is the star and the best actor.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
After watching some Robert Sheehan interviews I've realised he is doing very little acting in this. That guy is basically Klaus in real life.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Finished it and really enjoyed it.

I mean it was basically the same plot as season one only set in the 60s and with a bigger budget and even better soundtrack, but a lot tighter and more fun.

Five is just a great character and the kid who plays him is brilliant.

I think it sets up a third season really well, shame it'll be ages before we get one.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Although I felt 2 was decent, 1 was way better for me. They could have spent more time on the Swedish trio and built them out, the handler was anticlimactic in the end and five's idea to turn the tide in the finale was dead obvious for a couple episodes.

I hope the third season has more to it, season two felt quite flat.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
just finished that, i liked it. Very entertaining and some great characters. Don't ever apply logic to a superhero movie based on a graphics novel...

for example...
What exactly was Luthers ability before he turned ape-man?
Why does Lila, abducted from England at the age of two and a half and raised in USA, talk to this day with an english accent?
What good is exactly Klaus' super power for their superhero missions as kids, and if he's capable of not only talking to, but phyically interacting with dead people, why didnt Sir Reg train him to do so?
Wtf was that alien tansformation about?
How long exactly does the "rumour" ability last? In s02 we see it work for a short time but in s01 it is hinted that both her career and marriage were helped by it...

...and so on :)

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle
Ellen Page becoming a man, not sure how that will affect future episode's

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ellen Page becoming a man, not sure how that will affect future episode's
He's an actor, why should it? Playing as a female lesbian will likely make it easier

lsd

The Oracle
Yeah I know we are being pc here but it is bound to have some affect when a female character is now male.

He has said he now wants to be identified as he so I can't see him playing a female lesbian.

It is likely he will want his character to be male which is his choice whether that differs from the comic books or not I haven't actually read them.

lsd

The Oracle
I don't think you understand what an actor is.

Like Wentworth Miller saying he wont play any more straight characters killing of prison break?

Actors can decide what roles they take and don't take.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Like Wentworth Miller saying he wont play any more straight characters killing of prison break?

Actors can decide what roles they take and don't take.
it's incredibly unlikely he will tell them that a character that's been female for two seasons now has to rewritten to be male because he's now identified as male.

lsd

The Oracle
it's incredibly unlikely he will tell them that a character that's been female for two seasons now has to rewritten to be male because he's now identified as male.

I don't see how it is that unlikely. It seems more unlikely someone who wishes to be identified as Male now will still decide to act as a female