Television The Umbrella Academy

Sylar

It's a weird discussion until Elliot comes out and makes a statement regarding umbrella academy (if at all)

If not then it's business as usual otherwise we are just guessing what he may or may not be thinking about a character being played

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Maybe he won't consider it a big deal like everyone is thinking he may and treat it for what it is, an acting gig.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
So Vanya has been changed to Viktor, and apparently it was a producer decision, rather than Elliot. Good on them for it tbh. I'm not going to lie though, seeing the bigots get so pissed off about this is fecking hilarious, imagine not wanting to watch a show just because a character is no longer female.

lsd

The Oracle
So Vanya has been changed to Viktor, and apparently it was a producer decision, rather than Elliot. Good on them for it tbh. I'm not going to lie though, seeing the bigots get so pissed off about this is fecking hilarious, imagine not wanting to watch a show just because a character is no longer female.

Does anyone ever do this? I honestly think anyone who gets upset over things like to this or of a female Doctor or whatever either never watch it anyway nor do they have no any intention.

Yet you go on twitter and while you get these trolls you also get exactly what they want posts like yours with people seemingly just liking the fact that a show again they may or not watch has gone down this path.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Are they going to explain this in the context of the show or do we all just pretend the character didn’t exist?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Are they going to explain this in the context of the show or do we all just pretend the character didn’t exist?
This is the important thing for me.

I'm all for them doing it as long as it's actually explained in the show and not completely glossed over otherwise it makes no sense at all.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

I'm all for them doing it as long as it's actually explained in the show and not completely glossed over otherwise it makes no sense at all.
Exactly. I genuinely have no issue with the direction, but imagine watching Game of Thrones and suddenly you’ve gone from Daenerys to Dennis without explanation.

Bobski

So, just like the rest of the show then?

Facetious I admit, but this is hardly some serious drama they are creating, wasn't there a character with a goldfish in a bowl for a head last season? Doubt Vanya changing to Viktor has much impact, boring character to start with.

mitChley

Facetious I admit, but this is hardly some serious drama they are creating, wasn't there a character with a goldfish in a bowl for a head last season? Doubt Vanya changing to Viktor has much impact, boring character to start with.
Exactly, people are willing to suspend belief over almost anything but apparently this is a step too far :rolleyes:

Massive Spanner

Eh the difference is that character with the goldfish in a bowl for a head didn't have a lion for a head in the previous season, because if it did, I'd have probably asked "what the feck actually happened there" if they didn't explain anything.

Wing Attack Plan R

Season 1 was inventive and fun and brilliant. Season 2 was brain dead, nonsensical, and tedious. I think they killed the golden goose already. Great cast but I would be surprised if they all know it’s time to get written off the show before it sinks with all hands.

Schmiznurf

Does anyone ever do this? I honestly think anyone who gets upset over things like to this or of a female Doctor or whatever either never watch it anyway nor do they have no any intention.

Yet you go on twitter and while you get these trolls you also get exactly what they want posts like yours with people seemingly just liking the fact that a show again they may or not watch has gone down this path.
I've seen it on twitter posts and facebook, not exactly the best places mind.

I'm definitely watching though, i've loved the show since the start.

Wing Attack Plan R

That’s the least of this show’s problems.

Sylar

Exactly, people are willing to suspend belief over almost anything but apparently this is a step too far :rolleyes:
Thing is you can suspend disbelief
But you want a show to follow it's own internal logic.

The change is fine but ya still want it explained in the show
We know due to real life situation

But if ya binge watch the show years later and go from last episode to next episode and there's a change, you will think
Wtf?
Right?

Bobski

Eh the difference is that character with the goldfish in a bowl for a head didn't have a lion for a head in the previous season, because if it did, I'd have probably asked "what the feck actually happened there" if they didn't explain anything.
Fair enough. You could easily make a point that the character is the character, actor is the actor and there is no requirement for writers to adapt characters to actors transitioning mid way through a season.

I don't blame any studio or creative team for taking the easy option to avoid the shitstorm that would come their way if they just recast the character and frankly this brings more attention and eyeballs to the show.

Massive Spanner

Fair enough. You could easily make a point that the character is the character, actor is the actor and there is no requirement for writers to adapt characters to actors transitioning mid way through a season.

I don't blame any studio or creative team for taking the easy option to avoid the shitstorm that would come their way if they just recast the character and frankly this brings more attention and eyeballs to the show.
But yeah, that’s my point, the character is the character and therefore if the character suddenly changes you should expect there to be some explanation or acknowledgement of it? I fail to see the issue really. If anything it would be weirder if they did it and there was no mention of anything.

and I’m not talking anything like “Vaya decided to have a sex change since last season”. There are plenty of other approaches they could take because it’s a pretty silly show.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I struggle to remember much of the end of the last season it seems so long ago - doubt I would have a problem with how the character is presented at this point.

Just let the kid (or he could be 18 now) still be super annoying.

b82REZ

But yeah, that’s my point, the character is the character and therefore if the character suddenly changes you should expect there to be some explanation or acknowledgement of it? I fail to see the issue really. If anything it would be weirder if they did it and there was no mention of anything.

and I’m not talking anything like “Vaya decided to have a sex change since last season”. There are plenty of other approaches they could take because it’s a pretty silly show.

Bobski

However they chose to address I hope it doesn't become some preachy overload cringefest, but given current TV writing subtlety when it comes to social issues that it likely to be a vain hope.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I thought this would be bumped due to the release of the next series or something. I don't care what gender the characters are but its been so fecking long since the last series that I'm just going to end up not caring either way about the show as well.

The ending to the second series was also weak enough that I've forgotten what happened anyway (although other than that I still enjoyed it).

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I don't care if they want to change the character for story purposes, but I do worry that they are just shoehorning the change in purely due to the real life actor. If it doesn't make sense in terms of the story world, or they go on a massive preachy lecture then it is going to damage the show as a whole. Hopefully they do it well, as I've enjoyed the show so far.

pascell

I thought this would be bumped due to the release of the next series or something. I don't care what gender the characters are but its been so fecking long since the last series that I'm just going to end up not caring either way about the show as well.

The ending to the second series was also weak enough that I've forgotten what happened anyway (although other than that I still enjoyed it).
I'm with you on that, got my hopes up, fair play to them changing the characters name but in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter.

Like others have said, they had a talking goldfish in a bowl as a character.

Schmiznurf

They have been revealing the characters over on twitter, will post them all here. They've only shared 4 through 7 so far, with more to come soon I imagine.

DouLou

Been caught pooping
My whole take on this is that the writers should simply ask Elliot how he wants to go about it. I would prefer that the show maintains some sort of integrity and addresses it rather than just ignore it, but other shows have had to change actors during their run and that typically has to just be ignored so it's not a huge deal.

Also how much plot time do you devote to it? And how do you go about it?

On one hand you can make it a serious issue in that the character themselves comes out as trans, on the other you can have some whacky sci-fi alternate timeline reason but that might be seen as disrespectful so yeah...

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Pretty sure I've read that the character is going to come out as trans.
Don't get why the show would do this.

If an actor is asked to play a character who's trans, they can/will do.

If a trans actor is asked to (continue to) play a character that's not trans, surely they can do that too?

Liked first two seasons and was looking forward to this one, but taking ages to get next season out. If they rewrite characters too, could impact how received.