The unofficial official Celtic thread

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Certainly not bigger than Utd. Can almost split the 90's into 2 parts, the mid to late 90's you can really start to see the benefits of the Sky money spreading through English football, & then a gap starts to open then, which has just become wider & wider.
Aye spot on. First half of the 1990s Rangers and United were the two biggest sides in the UK and that stood until about 97/98 when Arsenal charged through. It’s pretty clear going by any measure and to give a few examples:
  • United and Rangers had the two biggest attendances in the UK by some distance from the late 80s through to about 96
  • Rangers went closer in 93 than any other side to winning the Champions League through the 90s until United in 99
  • Rangers provided more players to the England squad in 1990 than any English club
  • Both clubs dominated their leagues throughout the decade

Fussball13251

The Japanese league is underrated. They've signed a top, top player.... Kuogo Firujashi. That is going to make a difference.

Like Nakamura I don't know how they got him but he is class.

/watch?v=FwZgMH5qAnE Celtic have gone from flat looking to creating chance after chance after chance. He's made them play better.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The Japanese league is underrated. They've signed a top, top player.... Kuogo Firujashi. That is going to make a difference.

Like Nakamura I don't know how they got him but he is class.

/watch?v=FwZgMH5qAnE Celtic have gone from flat looking to creating chance after chance after chance. He's made them play better.
Aye, simply recruiting a manager who can coach and structure different attacking patterns will boost Celtic’s points up by about 15 from last year. There’s still a lot of attacking talent in that squad.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Kyogo is a player. I tend to watch Scottish Football when on TV. I’m not a fan of the Old Firm but I do enjoy watching them in Europe and away from home against smaller teams upping their game.

Celtic are miles ahead in attack this year. They look fluent and have goals from midfield. McGregor and Turnbull score goals, Abada, Forrest and Kyogo are scoring. Even their subs, Rogic etc are capable of goals. Their defence is shocking though and the new guy Starfelt looks dodgy.

Rangers were defensively sound last year but were the kings of the 1-0 as they often struggled to break teams down. They got their way to a 1-0 though and were impressive last year without being easy on the eye.

Against Malmö and Dundee United, the same story except their usually impressive defence has been wobbly. Goldson, who was outstanding last year and with his contract up in the air, looks a bomb scare the past two games. Barisic doesn’t look fit and Tavernier has been dreadful. Patterson must be jumping up and down on the sideline itching for a game. I have a feeling their defence will pick up again though.

Going forward though, absolutely dreadful to watch. So boring and predictable with balls wide to cross in from Tavernier and Barisic. They don’t have many goals from midfield, opting for 3 workhorse midfielders and no-one will arrive late into the box. Gerrard has attempted to style Rangers around Liverpool’s approach however they don’t have goals from the wings.

Rangers rely on Kent and Morelos playing well which is a risky tactic. Kent has been terrible and Morelos is very inconsistent. On his day though he’s a handful.

Gerrard has to ditch Lunstram and allow Davis and Kamara to sit and play someone further forward. Almost moving 433 to 4231. Hagi is probably best suited behind Morelos as he seems the only player who wants to shoot.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Kyogo is a player. I tend to watch Scottish Football when on TV. I’m not a fan of the Old Firm but I do enjoy watching them in Europe and away from home against smaller teams upping their game.

Celtic are miles ahead in attack this year. They look fluent and have goals from midfield. McGregor and Turnbull score goals, Abada, Forrest and Kyogo are scoring. Even their subs, Rogic etc are capable of goals. Their defence is shocking though and the new guy Starfelt looks dodgy.

Rangers were defensively sound last year but were the kings of the 1-0 as they often struggled to break teams down. They got their way to a 1-0 though and were impressive last year without being easy on the eye.

Against Malmö and Dundee United, the same story except their usually impressive defence has been wobbly. Goldson, who was outstanding last year and with his contract up in the air, looks a bomb scare the past two games. Barisic doesn’t look fit and Tavernier has been dreadful. Patterson must be jumping up and down on the sideline itching for a game. I have a feeling their defence will pick up again though.

Going forward though, absolutely dreadful to watch. So boring and predictable with balls wide to cross in from Tavernier and Barisic. They don’t have many goals from midfield, opting for 3 workhorse midfielders and no-one will arrive late into the box. Gerrard has attempted to style Rangers around Liverpool’s approach however they don’t have goals from the wings.

Rangers rely on Kent and Morelos playing well which is a risky tactic. Kent has been terrible and Morelos is very inconsistent. On his day though he’s a handful.

Gerrard has to ditch Lunstram and allow Davis and Kamara to sit and play someone further forward. Almost moving 433 to 4231. Hagi is probably best suited behind Morelos as he seems the only player who wants to shoot.
I think last year not having fans helped Rangers and hindered Celtic. Rangers had no pressure from the support, which I think they are going to get this season. Celtic are just one of those teams who rely more on the support from the stands imo

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

I agree with a lot of what you say to an extent, but I think it's quite exaggerated. Rangers scored 3 goals or more on 15 different occasions last season in the league, scoring 92 goals in total, so I think it's false to say they are the king of 1-0's.

I think they lack a little bit of the sharpness of last season, guys like Roofe & Barasic have had a bit of a stop start season so far, Morelos only playing his first minutes on Saturday with no pre season games etc.

I think a big must win game tonight in front of a packed Ibrox after losing their unbeaten record can be just the jolt they need to get back on track.

While I agree Celtic will be a much better challenge this year, I remember them getting big victories vs Hamilton & Ross County early on last season just to come unstuck later on. Winning handsomely at home vs a promoted team is all well & good, let's just see how they get on playing tougher teams away from home first.

OleBoiii

I read a post on Reddit that says that Kyogo currently is the top scorer in the J-League and the Scottish Premiership. That's pretty cool :p

11 forwards

Supports
Rosenborg
I roamed around talkceltic, being occasionally interested because of Ajer and whatever Scandinavian they employ at the time. Noticed them fans calling the Rangers and their fans Huns. Is this Attila and the Huns they refer to?

Having such a bad reputation that you live on in football songs and forums after 1600 years :eek:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Haha!

Peter Lawwell is the best chief executive in Britain? He was an absolute disaster for Celtic. The man that lost John McGinn and Ivan Toney because he wanted to haggle over peanuts. The man who brazenly admitted that Neil Lennon was always the ideal man to replace Brendan Rodgers and said something like 'there were loads of unopened CVs in the drawer but Neil was always the man'. Brilliant comments and a sure fire way to drum up interest from those same managers in a few years time when you need to sack Lennon because he's an unprofessional booze bag that literally wasn't even trusted to hire his own staff because they were his drinking partners instead of actual coaches. He was a brilliant businessman, no denying that.

Also, it helps to come out of things like COVID when you sell Kieran Tierney for 25 million and replace him with a guy from Kilmarnock for buttons who is so clearly out of his depth at Celtic.

That same board also called the fans "entitled yobs" last year for demanding Lennon be sacked when the league was still salvageable. Lennon oversaw a disaster in the previous seasons qualifying campaign when he lost to Cluj. The tactical genius kept our new 7 million CB on the bench, benched our new LB and played our best midfielder at LB for some random reason. A year later, we're in the same position, this time against Ferencvaros, what does he do? He starts with no strikers and instead plays another midfielder up front. We lose again. Of course. There's 60 million down the drain right away and it can be traced back to Peter's brilliant decision to replace Brendan Rodgers with an absolute clown like Lennon. But wait. There's more. Even after all of that, Lennon then oversaw a disastrous run, literally one of the all time worst in the history of the club, where we had no shots on target at home to rangers, lost 4-1 to Sparta Prague, Lennon then said that result would never happen again on his watch, and then we lost 4-1 to them again anyway a few weeks later. Lennon was then the man that oversaw our brilliant 3 or 4 year unbeaten cup run come to an end because he got outsmarted at home to bottom of the league Ross County in the League Cup. But the fans protesting against all of this were "entitled yobs" (a direct quote). Lennon was kept in post for another couple of months and more embarrassments despite all this.

Elhamed (the Israel internationalist) was rubbish and came from the same agent that we seem to use all the time (nothing fishy there, no sir).

A left back from AC Milan? Laxalt? A complete diddy. One of the worst full backs I've ever seen play for Celtic. Beaten only by Jonjoe Kenny who is undoubtedly the worst player I have ever seen at this club in my lifetime.

They kept Edouard and Ajer because no one wanted them. We still can't shift Edouard to this day.

Remember we rejected 14 million from Porto for Ntcham 2 years ago? We just released him from his contract a year early. Brilliant from the board again. The complete lack of forward thinking is comical.

We use Parks of Hamilton as our official coach. Owned by Douglas Park. Chairman of Rangers. That's how brilliant this board is. They directly line the pockets of the Rangers chairman.

The fans were let inside Celtic Park a few months back to put up flags and banners. This was in the midst of the latest clusterfeck in the middle east where loads of Palestinians had died. The fans put up Palestinian flags and a tribute to a Palestinian friend and Celtic supporter who had died weeks earlier and who had been invited over to Celtic Park many times by the Green Brigade and had even met Scott Brown. The board tore them down and got stuck in to the fans for it...

How about this season. We need a new manager in to rebuild the club after last seasons shambles. What do they do? They piss about letting a little chump like Eddie Howe lead them on for months and then they panic and go out and get a guy whose only ever managed in the Greek 3rd division, Australia and Japan. A complete lack of ambition and imagination. But then once they hire him what do they do? They fail to back him in the transfer market. For the umpteenth time they watched a decimated squad go into the CL qualifiers unprepared and only reacted with signings after we'd been predictably put out. We literally fielded a back line of Bain (terrible GK), Ralston (a hilariously out of his depth Scottish Championship level player), Stephen Welsh (a youth player thrown in because he was all we had), Dane Murray (an even younger youth player with zero experience) and Greg Taylor (the aforementioned Tierney replacement). None of them are good enough. Three of them are youth products who are only involved out of necessity due to the snails pace approach and lack of forward thinking within the Celtic boardroom.

Dermot Desmond literally said last season's Celtic side would beat the 2003 side that reached the UEFA Cup final and had guys like Larsson, Sutton, Hartson, Petrov et al. It's genuinely hard to explain how out of touch these losers are.

One of my personal favourites was them putting season tickets on sale this season before they'd even hired any manager. What club does that?

There's a reason you're so clearly in the minority within the support on this one.
I’ll try to answer your points…….

Peter Lawwell the best chief executive in Britain? - yes 100%, all you have to look at is his bonus, the reason why he got that was because of how well the club have done, just like any other business if club wasn’t doing so well he wouldn’t get bonus he got, it was mainly down to him and as I said in previous post on this he didn’t start on that money, he started on basic salary, basic( per football chief, still a very good wage) and worked his way up the ladder

John McGinn - Celtic matched Aston Villa but problem was he wanted to be guaranteed games and Brendan wouldn’t guarantee, we had Broony, Callum, Armstrong, Rogic and JM chose Villa as would likely get more game time.Toney, not sure what happened probably wanted bit too much what we could afford, honestly don’t know, would’ve been good signing.

Neil Lennon - can’t let someone go who’s just won the cup, then wins the treble the next year, so I think it was a bad decision, imagine if Peter did get somebody else for talking sake Eddie Howe and was completely rubbish lost 9 in a row, everybody would’ve been saying ‘why didn’t Neil get job’ so he really can’t win especially with the most fickle fans in the world.

Out of his depth - Hahahaha that’s a first, Peter been Chief Executive for 17 year, oversaw the most successful period in club’s history ( Lisbon Lions never won 4 trebles in row, one unbeaten, but that’s argument for another day), since he took over we have won - 29 trophies 13 league championships and 4 domestic trebles( club had only ever won 3, but Peter Lawwell was out of his depth hahahaha, so out of his depth Arsenal tried to get him as their chief executive, Peter rejected because he’s a bigger Celtic fan than any of they Entitled yobs.

Entitled Yobs - too right they are booing and abusing a side who lost a cup tie for first time in 35 matches( no other club in world football has done that), then at Scottish cup final the same go and cheer the same bus and players the were chasing and abusing weeks earlier, as I said…. Fickle.

Taking Palestinian flags down - 100% correct decision by the board, no matter what you think about Israel/Palestine Celtic is football club not a political party,

Tony Ralston - tell me a bad game he’s ever played for Celtic? He was our best player at 18 v Neymar, brilliant at ibrox even last season played v Livingston set up Armstrong for which should of been winner so don’t know how anyone can say he’s not good enough because any time he’s played for Celtic he has never let us down.

Putting season tickets on sale - whats that got to do with the manager? The club need money in to buy players, if you’re a Celtic fan you’ll buy a season ticket no matter who the manager is, I know I would. ( that Australian Greek isn’t doing too badly).

Using parks of Hamilton - so you want the club to turn down a free bus? Paying to use another company, something can get for free using parks? That right there tells you the fans just haven’t got a clue.

Last edited:

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Not getting any tickets for ibrox next week, seemingly the we were getting tickets and the tickets are at the Celtic Park ticket office the now, but they asked for a ‘cast iron’ promise there would away fans in the return fixture, but Celtic for obvious reasons couldn’t guarantee and they changed their minds, we’ll scud them anyway :D

I can see the game being played with home fans only from now on because it’ll be less hassle for both clubs, and less cost for police and stewards, the game will sell out no matter what so both club will probably make money and fans won’t have to worry about not getting a ticket with current allocation (800 each) approximately,

Me personally I’m delighted no Celtic fans will be there because I will be in Dubai for it and would honestly hate watching it in the Dubai hoops know Celtic fans at ibrox and I’m not.

lsd

The Oracle
5 up already today seems to be quite the turnaround from the first couple of games and I may have been way wrong in writing of the manager.

Will be interesting to see how they do against Rangers now I can't recall least times the two played each other with both teams realistically capable of winning the title

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The manager comes across well in his interviews. He definitely isn’t overwhelmed with the challenge. I think he will do well

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
5 up already today seems to be quite the turnaround from the first couple of games and I may have been way wrong in writing of the manager.

Will be interesting to see how they do against Rangers now I can't recall least times the two played each other with both teams realistically capable of winning the title
For nationalistic reasons, I hope Ange Postecoglou is a success but it's still early days even if Celtic are on a nice run of form. What I do know is Celtic will go to Ibrox and attack. They'll go there and ensure Rangers will live off counter attacks and spend much of the game without the ball. The manager isn't one to budge on his attacking philosophy.

lsd

The Oracle
For nationalistic reasons, I hope Ange Postecoglou is a success but it's still early days even if Celtic are on a nice run of form. What I do know is Celtic will go to Ibrox and attack. They'll go there and ensure Rangers will live off counter attacks and spend much of the game without the ball. The manager isn't one to budge on his attacking philosophy.

Looks like he has them believing in him which I really didn't think he would be able to or that they would do so.

Can only be good for the league if both teams are on a similar level

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Haven't watched Celtic's match against Rangers but they were far from impressive against AZ Alkmaar last Thursday. Alkmaar will feel they should have gone through. Celtic simply couldn't get going and couldn't deal with Alkmaar's press. .

carlbcfc

Supports
Birmingham City
United would have won that league this year. And that’s saying something!

poleglass red

fair play to them, his recruitment has been excellent, totally changed their style of play. 25 points behind rangers last season. Still work to be done, need to improve their results in europe, but for 1st season, really impressive.

lsd

The Oracle
That managerial appointment that was widely mocked worked out well:

I thought it was a terrible appointment and they just looked for the cheapest option there was.

Now I wouldn't mind him at United:lol:

It's not just that he had been successful but he has built a really exciting team who play excellent football and got them to do it almost immediately.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
A lot of jokes about the man, but he always seemed to say the right things. Good title win for him

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
By all accounts played very well this evening and should have won the game.did very well last week for 60 mins against Real. And perfect start to the SPL.

Won’t be long before Postecoglou gets a job in the PL

Last edited:

FriedClams

By all accounts played very well this evening and should have won the game.did very well last week for 60 mins against Barcelona. And perfect start to the SPL.

yeah, the way they played against Barcelona last week was one of the most impressive managerial displays of all time

RedDevilQuebecois

By all accounts played very well this evening and should have won the game.did very well last week for 60 mins against Barcelona. And perfect start to the SPL.

yeah, the way they played against Barcelona last week was one of the most impressive managerial displays of all time
They played against Real Madrid. Other than that mistake, I agree with the assessment that Ange will have a shot in the Prem very soon with the way Celtic have been playing to be the more dominant side every time.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
They played against Real Madrid. Other than that mistake, I agree with the assessment that Ange will have a shot in the Prem very soon with the way Celtic have been playing to be the more dominant side every time.
Whoops, amended now