The unofficial official Celtic thread

padzilla

Hipster
Not looking too good for Neil Lennon at the minute is it? Is the league as good as gone this season?

Deery

Dreary
What did you think of the scenes outside Celtic Park last night, a bit embarrassing was it not having a police barricade between the players and fans. They have won the last nine titles for God’s sake..

Needham

What did you think of the scenes outside Celtic Park last night, a bit embarrassing was it not having a police barricade between the players and fans. They have won the last nine titles for God’s sake..
So they've become entitled.

padzilla

Hipster
It was pathetic. If it was Rangers fans donning Celtic shirts as a wind-up, which it obviously was not, it couldn't have made Celtic supporters look anymore embarrassing. Not only does it make them look like spoilt entitled fools but there's also a pandemic on.

padzilla

Hipster
Gordon Strachan is the new favourite with the bookies. Bloody hell.

shaky

Must be the first domestic cup tie they've lost in about 5 years. Averaged 91 points per season when winning their last 9 titles, on course for 88 points at their current point rate, so hardly and different to their usual standard. I've never liked Rangers but have to say, I'll chuckle if Celtic lose their 10 in a row. Entitled doesn't even come close to describing a large proportion of their fans.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Celtic is being shit shocker.

They’ve had a huge head start on Rangers over the last few seasons (yes because of Rangers own fault) they’ve won every trophy over and over. Now they’re having some competition and they’re rioting in the streets

poleglass red

not good to see, but the lack of effort by some players in recent weeks has been criminal and has sent them over the edge. Let's be honest Lennon was a yes man after the Rodgers adventure, they didn't want to splash out on another big profile manager as they thought they could still win with what they have. Lennon has turned around things in the past, but when you see players not trying to this degree, unfortunately there's only one outcome. 10 in a row is a massive quest for the fans, to see it being surrendered so meekly isn't sitting well with them, the hope being making a change now before it is too late. It's sad as Lennon is a Celtic man through and through, but I do feel he has to go.

padzilla

Hipster
not good to see, but the lack of effort by some players in recent weeks has been criminal and has sent them over the edge. Let's be honest Lennon was a yes man after the Rodgers adventure, they didn't want to splash out on another big profile manager as they thought they could still win with what they have. Lennon has turned around things in the past, but when you see players not trying to this degree, unfortunately there's only one outcome. 10 in a row is a massive quest for the fans, to see it being surrendered so meekly isn't sitting well with them, the hope being making a change now before it is too late. It's sad as Lennon is a Celtic man through and through, but I do feel he has to go.
Yeah I think you have pretty much summed it up.

padzilla

Hipster
Are there any realistic candidates to replace Lennon right now?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Are there any realistic candidates to replace Lennon right now?
The list with the bookies is a grim one, no wonder Lenny's not been punted yet. Mostly made up of yesterday's men, Celtic men and untested ex-players. I suspect they're wanting to play the long game for Clarke, hoping he'll become available after the Euros, and hoping Lenny doesn't implode any further in the next 6 months. Or at least long enough that they can legitimately put another Celtic man in charge as caretaker until the end of the season. Clarke's a big Celtic man so I'm sure he'd love a shot at it, but with the Euros next summer and a feasible chance of reaching the World Cup the following year, he might be better off staying where he is for another 18-24 months.

Green_Red

Its mad isn't it, I suppose the saying is true, you're only as good as your last game. How many of those 9 was Lennon in charge for?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
The list with the bookies is a grim one, no wonder Lenny's not been punted yet. Mostly made up of yesterday's men, Celtic men and untested ex-players. I suspect they're wanting to play the long game for Clarke, hoping he'll become available after the Euros, and hoping Lenny doesn't implode any further in the next 6 months. Or at least long enough that they can legitimately put another Celtic man in charge as caretaker until the end of the season. Clarke's a big Celtic man so I'm sure he'd love a shot at it, but with the Euros next summer and a feasible chance of reaching the World Cup the following year, he might be better off staying where he is for another 18-24 months.
Steve Clarke would be a pretty sensible appointment if they can get him.

I see Eddie Howe is in the mix too. I think that would be interesting..

padzilla

Hipster
Agree with that. Having to salvage the league campaign is a hiding to nothing for anyone coming in. Clarke would be the outstanding candidate if Scotland didn't have the Euros to look forward to though. The last thing they can afford to do is appoint another legend just because he was loved as a player. Part of me wonders if they could tempt Michael O'Neill away from Stoke but again he's doing well there so why would he leave?

Chipper

Adulterer.
Its mad isn't it, I suppose the saying is true, you're only as good as your last game. How many of those 9 was Lennon in charge for?
I get that they're not happy but that was a bit much the other week.

It's 9 in a row, yes, but a chunk of those you'd have to be an absolutely horrendous manager not to win. The 4 won with no Rangers in the division I'm thinking of such was Celtic's financial domination over all the other teams. It was perhaps the most lop-sided league in the world at that point in terms of one side having a lot of the money. You can only beat what's in front of you but that was ridiculously easy.

Since Rangers have been back they've had to build up their team and their finances with Celtic still having a comfortable edge in that regard for the most part. Now after a few seasons and it's getting closer when it comes to money Rangers seemingly (because I'm not going to count chickens) go past them with ease on the pitch. It's perhaps the first time anyone should have been able to challenge Celtic in a long time and Celtic don't appear to be up to the challenge so far.

Last edited:

padzilla

Hipster
No Celtic presumed the advantage they had would continue and instead Gerrard has brought Rangers back up to a competitive level and they clearly have the hunger while Celtic have all the hallmarks of a team that has not had a decent challenger for years and simply can't cope. They thought standing still and keeping the ship steady was all they had to do instead of really doubling down on their advantage.

Mo Caine

Supports
United from 1977 until 2007
There are so many parallels between us and Celtic, fans favourite splitting the fanbase, they have their own Glazer and Woody , both teams looking to push on, us in the prem, them in europe, but funds are held back and we fall short, they have big tifo, we have aeroplanes with our message behind it ......we both hate Stevie Me & Souness

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'd love to see Keano go back into management. Who is linked to the job?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Heard Thierry Henry and Eddie Howe mentioned.
Yeah, I could see Eddie Howe there. I think it's tailor made for Keano to be honest. If he's ever going to get back into it, this would be the route. Win a trophy or two and see where you're at.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I'd love to see Keano go back into management. Who is linked to the job?
The current odds down to 20's on Skybet.

Eddie Howe - 7/2
Frank Lampard - 9/2
Roberto Martinez - 9/2
John Kennedy - 5/1
Steve Clarke - 5/1
Martin O'Neil - 11/2
Enzo Maresca - 12/1
Sean Dyche - 12/1
Michael O'Neil - 16/1
Rafael Benitez - 16/1
Alex Neil - 20/1
Roy Keane - 20/1
Thierry Henry - 20/1

Howe they aren't sure will come so far north, & you'd have to wonder why the couldn't have got him a few months ago if that was the plan.

Lampard has admitted din the past he has a liking for Rangers. Don't think that would stop him but wouldn't be. A good grounding with Celtic supporters.

Clarke & Martinez have the issue with the Euros in the summer so it would be a late start for them.

Enzo Maresca might be an interesting 1, as 1 of the rumours for their DoF they are looking to appoint is his Man City colleague Fergal Harkin.

Deery

Dreary
I personally would love to see Thierry Henry as manager I think the fans would love him but it’s more likely to be a less glamorous manager. Don’t even know if Henry would be any good but would be class to see.

Have a feeling it will probably be Benitez though.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Maybe they should bring in Henrik Larrson

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The current odds down to 20's on Skybet.

Eddie Howe - 7/2
Frank Lampard - 9/2
Roberto Martinez - 9/2
John Kennedy - 5/1
Steve Clarke - 5/1
Martin O'Neil - 11/2
Enzo Maresca - 12/1
Sean Dyche - 12/1
Michael O'Neil - 16/1
Rafael Benitez - 16/1
Alex Neil - 20/1
Roy Keane - 20/1
Thierry Henry - 20/1

Howe they aren't sure will come so far north, & you'd have to wonder why the couldn't have got him a few months ago if that was the plan.

Lampard has admitted din the past he has a liking for Rangers. Don't think that would stop him but wouldn't be. A good grounding with Celtic supporters.

Clarke & Martinez have the issue with the Euros in the summer so it would be a late start for them.

Enzo Maresca might be an interesting 1, as 1 of the rumours for their DoF they are looking to appoint is his Man City colleague Fergal Harkin.
I'm glad to see Keano is at least in the conversation, as such. Long shot, but I am still hoping he turns into a top manager. They might wait with a permanent appointment until late in the summer, given some candidates are managing international teams.

But the rumour mill seems to go with Howe. At least we'll then know if he's as good a manager as people on here have maintained.

padzilla

Hipster
Is Keane going to get the gig or will Celtic go for the cheap option and just give it to Kennedy? Hmmm, this one answers itself doesn't it?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Is Keane going to get the gig or will Celtic go for the cheap option and just give it to Kennedy? Hmmm, this one answers itself doesn't it?
The club and the board have been hammered so much I can't imagine them having the brass neck to go for one of Lennon's untested mates in Kennedy, especially with a new CEO in place.

padzilla

Hipster
The club and the board have been hammered so much I can't imagine them having the brass neck to go for one of Lennon's untested mates in Kennedy, especially with a new CEO in place.
I can.

padzilla

Hipster
I wasn’t expecting Howe to be a serious candidate for Celtic. He would definitely give them a lift.