The unofficial official Celtic thread

Champagne Football

Is Keane going to get the gig or will Celtic go for the cheap option and just give it to Kennedy? Hmmm, this one answers itself doesn't it?
Keane was never ever a realistic choice. I'd say they interviewed him so that by the time they got round to speaking to 1st and 2nd choices like Howe, then they can play hardball in negotiations regarding annual salary and say to Howe 'Listen Keane will take the job for X amount per year, we're hoping you'd take the job for a similar salary?'

Brophs

The One and Only
Is Keane going to get the gig or will Celtic go for the cheap option and just give it to Kennedy? Hmmm, this one answers itself doesn't it?
The fact that Keane is somehow being linked with a CL job, whether that's in Scotland or not, with his managerial record, is about as good a result as he's entitled to expect. You'd need to be crackers to put him in charge of your football club.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The fact that Keane is somehow being linked with a CL job, whether that's in Scotland or not, with his managerial record, is about as good a result as he's entitled to expect. You'd need to be crackers to put him in charge of your football club.
I'd say his managerial record is better than Ole's prior to the latter getting the United caretaker job.

Brophs

The One and Only
I'd say his managerial record is better than Ole's prior to the latter getting the United caretaker job.
I'd agree. But all that tells us is that Ole shouldn't, by any sort of logic, have gotten the Utd job.

Irwin99

I'm not sure about his managerial prospects either but what he did for Sunderland was a decent achievement. He won the championship and kept them in the league in their first season in the Pl (I think). Not bad. Ipswich was a disaster though.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Buzzing if we get Howe. A proper ambitious appointment. If only they'd shown such ambition when replacing Rodgers instead of giving it to that clown we don't name.

galwayfa

They loved him at Sunderland for the most part, changed the way players and staff intertwined, had everyone on a levelish level, everyone was important in what ever role they had and they sat together in canteen with them, he'd be on phone asking how u15s were getting on while on bus to first team game, he galvanised the club,
Which one was better im not sure, but Keane is not as bad as a manager as is spoken about here

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'm not sure about his managerial prospects either but what he did for Sunderland was a decent achievement. He won the championship and kept them in the league in their first season in the Pl (I think). Not bad. Ipswich was a disaster though.
Yeah, he's forthright enough about his mistakes at Ipswich.

They loved him at Sunderland for the most part, changed the way players and staff intertwined, had everyone on a levelish level, everyone was important in what ever role they had and they sat together in canteen with them, he'd be on phone asking how u15s were getting on while on bus to first team game, he galvanised the club,
Which one was better im not sure, but Keane is not as bad as a manager as is spoken about here
Yes, it really seems this caricature is taken at face value. Like you said, did a good job at Sunderland.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Keane hasn't even been a manager for over a decade. He is now a tired old TV pundit that gets reeled out for the shock factor where he calls players "idiots" and what not. When does he ever do any actual analysis? His only coaching experience since the disastrous spell at Ipswich was to be assistant to two dinosaurs in Martin O'Neill and Paul Lambert.

Then there's his admission that he was "glad" one of his players had a heart attack because it took attention away from his PL Sunderland losing 3-0 to League One Luton. He is a psychopath, IMO. I think any big job he would get would end in disaster due to his personality being so incompatible with modern day footballers.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Well, we're about to see the questions answered we've always wondered about Howe, can he handle a club other than Bournemouth, can he handle a big club, & can he handle the pressure of not only playing good football & winning some games & losing some games, to having to win EVERY game. Looking forward to the challenge.

I'd agree. But all that tells us is that Ole shouldn't, by any sort of logic, have gotten the Utd job.
firstly Keane’s record wasn’t better than OGS.

secondly, even if it was, as least OGS was a current manager, not one who hasn’t done the role for a decade!

if Keane was seriously considered, they’ve done well to sidestep an awful appointment.

TheReligion

Abusive
Well, we're about to see the questions answered we've always wondered about Howe, can he handle a club other than Bournemouth, can he handle a big club, & can he handle the pressure of not only playing good football & winning some games & losing some games, to having to win EVERY game. Looking forward to the challenge.
Will be interesting for sure but think he'll be okay

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Will be interesting for sure but think he'll be okay
Got a lot of work to do mind you. They have a core of about 5 or 6 players then he'll have to build up the rest of the squad round that. Celtic fans will be expecting him to come in & win the league first season.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Well I think we can see where you have nailed your plastics to
Is there a decoding machine I can put this line through so I can understand it?

Did he win back to back league titles then like Ole did?
I'm not saying since Ole came in, he hasn't defied expectations, he has. Hence why he's still in a job. But no, I don't think the Molde job compares to the Sunderland job. Would you think highly of someone winning league titles in Slovenia?

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Is there a decoding machine I can put this line through so I can understand it?

I'm not saying since Ole came in, he hasn't defied expectations, he has. Hence why he's still in a job. But no, I don't think the Molde job compares to the Sunderland job. Would you think highly of someone winning league titles in Slovenia?
I think he won two titles in his country and got his club regularly into Europe which is slightly better than yoyoing with Sunderland

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Howe maybe ends up taking a similar career path to Brendad Rodgers.

Who was better at their smaller PL club? Howe or Rodgers?

TheReligion

Abusive
He wouldn't have got the job if it wasn't for the amazing run he took us on. Think even his biggest critics would have found it hard to sack him at that point.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
So break down Keanes managerial career for us in detail. His signings, his league positions, run of games, etc. Add some player comments about his man management in for good measure. Just so we can decide if what your opinion is based on is right or not.
the feck is this? Why don't you go through your own post history and give the "we" documentation to back up your opinions so the "we" can decide if you are "right or not".

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Saw this on a Celtic forum, now that it's becoming protracted (Howe being unveiled). Quotes from Charlie Austin.

He said: "I see people saying the job is too big for Eddie, but if you look at the managers that have been there over the last 10 years, Eddie will be the best one suited for the job.

"It’s going to be a rebuild. Celtic aren’t going to overturn it in one season, are they? Let's be honest.

"He’d be the perfect manager to go in and rebuild the football club. Give him two or three years and he will have them laying a glove on Rangers again.

"The Celtic job isn’t an overnight one."

Understandably the bolded bit didn't go down well :lol:

Red00012

Saw this on a Celtic forum, now that it's becoming protracted (Howe being unveiled). Quotes from Charlie Austin.

He said: "I see people saying the job is too big for Eddie, but if you look at the managers that have been there over the last 10 years, Eddie will be the best one suited for the job.

"It’s going to be a rebuild. Celtic aren’t going to overturn it in one season, are they? Let's be honest.

"He’d be the perfect manager to go in and rebuild the football club. Give him two or three years and he will have them laying a glove on Rangers again.

"The Celtic job isn’t an overnight one."

Understandably the bolded bit didn't go down well :lol:
For some reason “ aspire to be like city “ came into my head

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Howe is a cracking signing for them. Celtic have recruited quite well over the years until recently enough. They just need to get back to that level again. He recruited pretty well for Bournemouth when they were down the divisions and should be able to spot an affordable player (insert Liverpool ripping him off joke here) Is the money there?

Last edited:

Reiver

I think Howe would be great for Celtic. Obviously, every managerial appointment is a risk to dome extent, there are no guarantees that any manager will be a success. But, if Hows were appointed and didn't cut it, I dont think the Celtic Board can be blamed, if they back him.
Most Celtic fans I speak to seem sold on Martinez/Maloney as first choice. Cant see it happening but you never know.

T_Model101

It's somewhat of a unique job tbf, you're expected to win the league every year, but realistically, where is the money?
Howe is a great appointment for them I think though. We'll see what he's made of that's for sure

SambaBoy

Howe is a cracking signing for them. Celtic have recruited quite well over the years until recently enough. They just need to get back to that level again. He recruited pretty well for Bournemouth when they were down the divisions and should be able to spot an affordable player (insert Liverpool ripping him off joke here) Is the money there?
That's one thing he didn't do in the Premiership, but yeah he assembled good players in League One/Championship. His bigger signings in the Prem were a bit hit and miss an the stuck to the core of players who got them promoted despite spending relatively big money.

I think he's a good manager though, and he will do well at Celtic. He won't be in charge of the recruitment there anyway, as they have appointed a new director of football.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
It's somewhat of a unique job tbf, you're expected to win the league every year, but realistically, where is the money?
Howe is a great appointment for them I think though. We'll see what he's made of that's for sure
There's very little money in Scottish football, which hinders them in Europe, but the Old Firm have way more budget then the rest of the league put together, so that's why they are expected to win the league every season. Celtic will spend more than Rangers this summer, but the problem will be that they need to buy almost a full team, whereas Rangers are settled & buying from a position of strength now.

That's one thing he didn't do in the Premiership, but yeah he assembled good players in League One/Championship. His bigger signings in the Prem were a bit hit and miss an the stuck to the core of players who got them promoted despite spending relatively big money.

I think he's a good manager though, and he will do well at Celtic. He won't be in charge of the recruitment there anyway, as they have appointed a new director of football.
Celtic haven't appointed a new DoF yet, & that is seen as a sticking point with the appointment of Howe. Celtic had earmarked a guy from Man City to take over that role, who is currently in charge of City's football partnerships. However Howe apparently wants to bring Richard Hughes with him from Bournemouth who would be in a similar role. The new guy they have already appointed actually takes over from Lawwell as Chief Executive.

SambaBoy

There's very little money in Scottish football, which hinders them in Europe, but the Old Firm have way more budget then the rest of the league put together, so that's why they are expected to win the league every season. Celtic will spend more than Rangers this summer, but the problem will be that they need to buy almost a full team, whereas Rangers are settled & buying from a position of strength now.

Celtic haven't appointed a new DoF yet, & that is seen as a sticking point with the appointment of Howe. Celtic had earmarked a guy from Man City to take over that role, who is currently in charge of City's football partnerships. However Howe apparently wants to bring Richard Hughes with him from Bournemouth who would be in a similar role. The new guy they have already appointed actually takes over from Lawwell as Chief Executive.
Ah, my bad...is that the guy from the RFU?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
So golden boy Howe has rejected the move. I wonder if Keane is still in the frame.

lsd

The Oracle
Never got the feeling Howe wanted the job whether he bottled it knowing unless he won everything like Rogers did he would be looked at as a failure only he knows.

dinostar77

Howe wants the Crystal Palace job. What a nutter. Could win titles with Celtic, get experience of managing in Europe. But no he wants the Crystal Palace job. Jees.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Howe likely wants something closer to home considering when he was a Burnley he got home sickness.