The unofficial official Celtic thread

lsd

The Oracle
That can't be right, can it?

Gets worse first time i read it i thought it said he was Austrian and was thinking well maybe not too bad if he won the Austrian league and managed the international team then saw Brisbane Roar and Melbourne Glory to realise he is Australian.

55 years of age and that is his expierence? That looks shocking if they appoint him. Makes Keane look like Pep

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Gets worse first time i read it i thought it said he was Austrian and was thinking well maybe not too bad if he won the Austrian league and managed the international team then saw Brisbane Roar and Melbourne Glory to realise he is Australian.

55 years of age and that is his expierence? That looks shocking if they appoint him. Makes Keane look like Pep
Yeah, looks like they are offering 100 quid a week if this is true.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I am no fan of the old Firm but for those of you unfamiliar with Ange he is a very good coach. I think he will surprise a lot of people if he takes the job. Players all speak incredibly highly of him and even though the snobs of the Old Firm may regard him as being beneath them his record in the leagues and at international level is very good. If he takes the job it will be a very smart appointment by Celtic. Of course all the Old Firm snobs will bleat on about his experience being in the so called lesser leagues. I hope he takes the job just to piss off the entitled fan base but the down side for me is he will actually do a really good job.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I am no fan of the old Firm but for those of you unfamiliar with Ange he is a very good coach. I think he will surprise a lot of people if he takes the job. Players all speak incredibly highly of him and even though the snobs of the Old Firm may regard him as being beneath them his record in the leagues and at international level is very good. If he takes the job it will be a very smart appointment by Celtic. Of course all the Old Firm snobs will bleat on about his experience being in the so called lesser leagues. I hope he takes the job just to piss off the entitled fan base but the down side for me is he will actually do a really good job.
To be fair, of course I don't know anything about him, so I'm talking out of my... I'm just desperate for Keano to go back into management and make it work. 99% have written him completely off, which is part of the charm for me.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Howe wants the Crystal Palace job. What a nutter. Could win titles with Celtic, get experience of managing in Europe. But no he wants the Crystal Palace job. Jees.
Celtic is a poorly run club with a limited budget, Crystal Palace & the Premier league is way more appealing to an ambitious manager. He will be going up against top players & top managers every week instead of coasting through to a top two finish in a pub league.

lsd

The Oracle

Its the Australian league i wouldn't even consider that non league level here. If Celtic appoint him then it is truly shameful and would be the most embarrassing appointment i have seen in football.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Celtic is a poorly run club with a limited budget, Crystal Palace & the Premier league is way more appealing to an ambitious manager. He will be going up against top players & top managers every week instead of coasting through to a top two finish in a pub league.
It's funny to me that a Leicester fan of all people would spout such ignorant shite. Do you think you'd have Rodgers if he'd chosen to go to the likes of Crystal Palace in 2016?

He will be going up against top players & top managers every week
Every week? Really? Do you even watch the Premier League?

lsd

The Oracle
How do you go from Howe a manager proven in the Premiership to a guy from the Australian league in one move?

It makes no sense at all it's like going to buy a Ferrari and on being quoted 200 thousand replying oh i can only afford 190 thousand i know have you got a bicycle instead?

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
He's a fecking fantastic manager, absolutely by a street the greatest coach ever to come out of this country. But obviously none of you think that's worth anything, so try this for size.

He's won the league in Japan - arguably the best league in Asia - with less money than a host of clubs. And before that, he took Australia to the Asia Cup ffs. He's won a fecking international trophy you twats!

You're all talking shite and would do well to shut up (preferably forever).

SambaBoy

Its the Australian league i wouldn't even consider that non league level here. If Celtic appoint him then it is truly shameful and would be the most embarrassing appointment i have seen in football.
That's a stupid comment.

Stack

If you think its non league level then you are completely clueless.

Chipper

Adulterer.
That's a stupid comment.
What does it even mean? Everything that isn't the top 4 divisions is non-league.

Can't say I know much about it. It's full-time pro I think so for a team cohesiveness and player fitness perspective they're going to have an advantage over the part-time clubs in England so would put them as National League level (tier 5) as almost a minimum as it's tier 6 where you really get more part-time clubs nowadays. I believe they have good training facilities which isn't based on much other than my perception that Aussies generally have good facilities for all sports much like the USA.

I'm taking stabs in the dark after that, somewhere between there and League One which is quite a broad spectrum would be my guess.

Obviously the country has produced some good players down the years that have ended up in the Premier League so maybe there's the odd gem there still and I'm aware of what some players who have gone there in recent years have done so it would be trying to put it together. Matt Derbyshire being 2nd top scorer at the age of 35, Adam Le Fondre going there and scoring a lot when he didn't look good enough for the Championship anymore, looking at how insanely prolific Jamie Maclaren is there compared to his loan spell at Hibs where he was a 1-in-3 guy which is respectable, maybe parsing that together with what Adam Rooney did when he left the SPL for Salford.

Might get a telling off for this, would guess around League Two level personally.

Last edited:

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
What does it even mean? Everything that isn't the top 4 divisions is non-league.

Can't say I know much about it. It's full-time pro I think so for a team cohesiveness and player fitness perspective they're going to have an advantage over the part-time clubs in England so would put them as National League level (tier 5) as almost a minimum as it's tier 6 where you really get more part-time clubs nowadays. I believe they have good training facilities which isn't based on much other than my perception that Aussies generally have good facilities for all sports much like the USA.

I'm taking stabs in the dark after that, somewhere between there and League One which is quite a broad spectrum would be my guess.

Obviously the country has produced some good players down the years that have ended up in the Premier League so maybe there's the odd gem there still and I'm aware of what some players who have gone there in recent years have done so it would be trying to put it together. Matt Derbyshire being 2nd top scorer at the age of 35, Adam Le Fondre going there and scoring a lot when he didn't look good enough for the Championship anymore, looking at how insanely prolific Jamie Maclaren is there compared to his loan spell at Hibs where he was a 1-in-3 guy which is respectable, maybe parsing that together with what Adam Rooney did when he left the SPL for Salford.

Might get a telling off for this, would guess around League Two level personally.
It's defo worse than the Championship in its present state. No doubt in my mind about that. A few years ago the top A-League teams wouldn't have looked out of place in the lower parts of the Championship, but not any more.

I wouldn't think it's presently as bad as League 2, but yeah Matt Derbyshire being 2nd top scorer has certainly raised my eyebrows this season. He shouldn't be anywhere near the 2nd highest scorer, and I doubt he would have even got a contract when the league was in a healthier state a while ago.

POF

Postecoglu is an excellent coach. Really good. His teams in the A-league were utterly dominant in a salary cap controlled league. Brisbane Roar were an excellent, exciting, progressive team.

He did a fantastic job with Australia with limited talent and completely changing the style of play. But he had a strange chip on his shoulder and seemed at constant war with the FFA. It seemed like there were some within the FFA who didn't want him and wanted a foreign coach instead. It was really odd.

He then moved to Japan and dominated there too. The step up from the A League and J League to the Scottish Premier League is nowhere near as significant as some seem to think.

I think he'll do really well at Celtic if the club buy in to how he wants to play.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
He might be a very good coach, but you can't say it's not a massive gamble. Never mind the Australian league, this is Scottish football you are talking about. It's a unique kind of football where actual football is sometimes hard to find. There's sh!tty plastic pitches, there's a unique rivalry, there's the occasional hatchet men, there's trips to places like Dingwall in the winter.

This is also Scottish football where 2nd place is nothing for the Old Firm, & where a draw is seen as a disaster

It takes a special type of player to play in Scotland, flair players are few & far between, & you certainly need to get used to the ball being in the air a good bit.

This guy has never managed in Europe, never mind Scottish football. This is a massive cross roads for Celtic. The club are at its lowest point in years, it needs a full rebuild, the support was looking for some sort of 'name' to lift the negativity & gloom & galvanise them. His first real games are going to be Champions League qualifiers. If Celtic don't qualify & Rangers do, that's a £25M swing. Furthermore, whoever wins the league next season goes straight into the group stages the following year. So that's a potential £50M swing to Rangers.

So really, he'll get no time to bed in. He'll be expected to get through the qualifiers, & win league games from day dot. Failure to win those, & the pressure will be on him early. Remember, Rangers have just gone P38, W32, L0. That's the level of consistency here.

Stack

He might be a very good coach, but you can't say it's not a massive gamble. Never mind the Australian league, this is Scottish football you are talking about. It's a unique kind of football where actual football is sometimes hard to find. There's sh!tty plastic pitches, there's a unique rivalry, there's the occasional hatchet men, there's trips to places like Dingwall in the winter.

This is also Scottish football where 2nd place is nothing for the Old Firm, & where a draw is seen as a disaster

It takes a special type of player to play in Scotland, flair players are few & far between, & you certainly need to get used to the ball being in the air a good bit.

This guy has never managed in Europe, never mind Scottish football. This is a massive cross roads for Celtic. The club are at its lowest point in years, it needs a full rebuild, the support was looking for some sort of 'name' to lift the negativity & gloom & galvanise them. His first real games are going to be Champions League qualifiers. If Celtic don't qualify & Rangers do, that's a £25M swing. Furthermore, whoever wins the league next season goes straight into the group stages the following year. So that's a potential £50M swing to Rangers.

So really, he'll get no time to bed in. He'll be expected to get through the qualifiers, & win league games from day dot. Failure to win those, & the pressure will be on him early. Remember, Rangers have just gone P38, W32, L0. That's the level of consistency here.
Very good points, he is a massive gamble and the helter skelter fury of Scotlands premier league is going to be a shock for him.

dinostar77

A interesting appointment for once by a big club. I see the myopic viewpoint of european and british football is alive and well in this thread. No doubt when a unknown wenger who had only managed in france and japan was appointed as arsenal manager the same people on here would have made the same narrow minded bordering on racist comments.

padzilla

Hipster
A massive statement of a complete lack of ambition looks set to transpire just like many Celtic fans feared it would. The cheapest available option appears to be the way it is going with the new director of football hiring one of his mates.

padzilla

Hipster
A interesting appointment for once by a big club. I see the myopic viewpoint of european and british football is alive and well in this thread. No doubt when a unknown wenger who had only managed in france and japan was appointed as arsenal manager the same people on here would have made the same narrow minded bordering on racist comments.
The same unknown Wenger who won the French league with Monaco and took them to a European final? Despite operating in the shadow of a much better funded Marseille (to the extent there was cheating going down)? It’s a bit harsh to accuse fans of being narrow minded and racist because they are disappointed by their board’s lack of ambition after stories were leaked to the media for months about the club making a major appointment. To suggest it’s no big deal to make the leap to one of the most demanding jobs in European club football is disingenuous.

Last edited:

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Imagine hyping him for winning the Asia cup.

What next Felix Sanchez Bas for the Barcelona job?

:lol:

lsd

The Oracle
He's a fecking fantastic manager, absolutely by a street the greatest coach ever to come out of this country. But obviously none of you think that's worth anything, so try this for size.

He's won the league in Japan - arguably the best league in Asia - with less money than a host of clubs. And before that, he took Australia to the Asia Cup ffs. He's won a fecking international trophy you twats!

You're all talking shite and would do well to shut up (preferably forever).

May as well boast he won a tiddlywinks tournament.

Eddie Howe to this guy in one move is without doubt the most laughably pathetic downgrade I have ever seen.

You could step outside Celtic Park and pick the first person who walked past the ground and they would be on the same level as the Australian league

When it all ends in tears which it will inside six months I hope for the sake of Celtic fans that whoever opted for him also gets the sack too

padzilla

Hipster
This smacks of courting Eddie Howe to garner good vibes from the fanbase when in reality it was never going to happen. Instead the board go for the cheapest option which was always the plan all along.

dinostar77

Eddie Howe was offered the job over 6 months ago and hes dithered about. Celtic should have some self respect and should have told him to do one after he didnt accept the job and sign on the dotted line after a month never mind 6 months.

Anyway the odds

1/10 Postecoglou; 12/1 Ross; 14/1 Clarke; 16/1 Favre; 16/1 Davidson; 20/1 Kennedy, 25/1 Keane; 251 Lampard; 25/1 Wilder; 25/1 Michael O’Neill

Postecoglou has an interesting CV, though i would have thought it would be an idea job for someone like lampard. Win some trophies get experience and have another go at the chelsea job in the future.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I get the scepticism but Ange Postecoglou isn't likely to get the Celtic job just because of impressive work in the A-Lague where his Brisbane Roar team won back to back titles, went 36 games unbeaten (across two different seasons) and earned the nickname 'Roarcelona' due to their style of play. It's 9 years since he walked away from the Brisbane Roar back in April 2012.

After that he did a good job with Melbourne Victory getting them heading in the right direction after two poor seasons. Early in his 2nd season at Victory, his country came calling and he did a succesful job with Australia. Had his Victory tenure not been ended by getting the national team job, it's likely he would have led them to silverware.

After walking away from the national team in November of 2017, he became Yokohama F Marinos maanger and in his 2nd season at the helm, he led them to the J-League title.

He will need Celtic's players to buy into his possession based attacking style (which he won't compromise on). Who knows how he'll go at Celtic - I hope he wins the league there. Headlines of Ange Who? might be a good omen when one thinks back to when Arsene Wenger went from managing in Japan to managing Arsenal.

dinostar77

I get the scepticism but Ange Postecoglou isn't likely to get the Celtic job just because of impressive work in the A-Lague where his Brisbane Roar team won back to back titles, went 36 games unbeaten (across two different seasons) and earned the nickname 'Roarcelona' due to their style of play. It's 9 years since he walked away from the Brisbane Roar back in April 2012.

After that he did a good job with Melbourne Victory getting them heading in the right direction after two poor seasons. Early in his 2nd season at Victory, his country came calling and he did a succesful job with Australia. Had his Victory tenure not been ended by getting the national team job, it's likely he would have led them to silverware.

After walking away from the national team in November of 2017, he became Yokohama F Marinos maanger and in his 2nd season at the helm, he led them to the J-League title.

He will need Celtic's players to buy into his possession based attacking style (which he won't compromise on). Who knows how he'll go at Celtic - I hope he wins the league there. Headlines of Ange Who? might be a good omen when one thinks back to when Arsene Wenger went from managing in Japan to managing Arsenal.
Good post

lsd

The Oracle

This trying to compare the guy to Wenger because they both were in the J League nonsense has to stop.

If one person makes it from anywhere that does not mean anyone else from the same place will be the same.

Thats the garbage that ended us with taking Moyes

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
So it sounds like those who have actually watched some of his work rate him but of course those who never even heard of the guy three days ago are multiple times more vociferous that he is useless :lol:

Football eh.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Manager aside, I am always amazed at how Celtic never cemented their position when Rangers folded. Once that happened the club should've been looking to become a club like Ajax/Benfica or even a Bruges and get the CL on a regular basis. How they fecked that up is a mystery to me. I mean only reason they have got a CL spot this year is because Rangers started doing in the last two years what they should've been doing for the past decade+.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Why was it likely? They had drawn the two opening games before he went to Australia.

He also finished 12th in his first season and 9th in his third season. You think he will get time at Celtic? It's win or nothing is acceptable there. I'm not going to act like Ange has not done a good job at the clubs he's been at but this is a completely different level of sctruity and expectation. His win ratio is around 50% at all the clubs he's been at, that will not wash at Celtic.

Tony Mowbray had an attacking style and failed massively at Celtic, a club he was connected with. This appointment has Pedro guy failure at Rangers written all over it and the Wenger comparison is so flawed it's unreal.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Why was it likely? They had drawn the two opening games before he went to Australia.

He also finished 12th in his first season and 9th in his third season. You think he will get time at Celtic? It's win or nothing is acceptable there. I'm not going to act like Ange has not done a good job at the clubs he's been at but this is a completely different level of sctruity and expectation. His win ratio is around 50% at all the clubs he's been at, that will not wash at Celtic.
Exactly. If he doesn't win his first half dozen or so games & gets beat at Ibrox first Old Firm game of the season, he'll end up under severe pressure. Celtic fans rioted against a club legend after a quadruple treble when they had a poor month or so. This guy isn't getting 2 seasons to try & build a team!

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool

Eddie Howe to this guy in one move is without doubt the most laughably pathetic downgrade I have ever seen.

You could step outside Celtic Park and pick the first person who walked past the ground and they would be on the same level as the Australian league

When it all ends in tears which it will inside six months I hope for the sake of Celtic fans that whoever opted for him also gets the sack too
Heh, oooh gosh you're so savage and contentious, it's so terribly exciting!

Jks. You know nothing, and your posts are moronic.

But in this case, I'll assume that they're moronic on purpose. And in that case, some kudos is due for managing to suck me into the first wind-up. Well done.

SambaBoy

You can call it a downgrade all you want but stop with the utter nonsense like this, you clearly don't have a clue.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I need to acknowledge something. I've been a hypocrite. I've disagreed with people using Ferguson and Klopp getting time as a way to stick up for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and yesterday I referenced a headline that greeted Arsene Wenger's in England in the hope that it's an omen for Postecoglou being successful if he get the Celtic job. I should not have done that Arsene Wenger or not.

I also should not have claimed it was likely Postecoglou's Melbourne Victory tenure would have ended up being successful had he not been offered the Socceroos job 3-4 games into his 2nd season at the helm of the Melbourne based club. Far too early to make claims like that.

I'll admit that as an Aussie and somebody who saw his very successful Brisbane Roar team in the flesh it didn't sit well with me that it appeared as if some people wrote him off before he'd even been announced. In saying that, I understand the scepticism that comes with this possible appointment.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Certainly an interesting choice if true, potentially exciting but the Celtic job is almost unique in it's pressures.Takes a serious personality to shut out the noise, win over the players, the fans and impose your own style on the team whilst never losing a game. Best of luck to whoever they plump for.