The unofficial official Celtic thread

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Just listened to Craig Moore on Go Radio discussing Postecoglou. He spoke very highly of him and was very positive about all aspects.
He's a very demanding coach of both his players and coaching staff. He said he likes to play a similar style to Klopp and Pep and plays from the back.
If we get him in and give him the right tools Moore reckons we'd have a good chance of winning the league next season.
You can hear it on their podcast later probably.

mancsarered

Wont matter what he does if they don't do good business this summer. Several top players (Ajer most notably) on their way out that need to be replaced.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Put it this way: Postecoglou will either be a roaring success and other clubs will wish they took the gamble on him or this will go tits up to the extent that Postecoglou won't be the only person at Celtic losing his job.

I hope he is a success. However it has to be acknowledged that this is the first job he's had where a trophyless 1st season is likely to see him out the door. He'll have to hit the ground running that's for sure.

lsd

The Oracle
Put it this way: Postecoglou will either be a roaring success and other clubs will wish they took the gamble on him or this will go tits up to the extent that Postecoglou won't be the only person at Celtic losing his job.

I hope he is a success. However it has to be acknowledged that this is the first job he's had where a trophyless 1st season is likely to see him out the door. He'll have to hit the ground running that's for sure.

Isn't he a slow starter? I think it's a poor move by Celtic and destined to failure and it is very much Celtic going for the cheapest option.

As you say though if and when it goes wrong whoever hired him should also lost their job

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Isn't he a slow starter? I think it's a poor move by Celtic and destined to failure and it is very much Celtic going for the cheapest option.

As you say though if and when it goes wrong whoever hired him should also lost their job
At Brisbane Roar he was. He came in about a third of the way through the 2009-10 season and used the rest of that season to bed down his playing style and make decisions over who was going to go and who was going to stay. Now he could do that in the A-League because there's no relegation. Brisbane finished 9th out of 10 teams at the end of the 09-10 season The ensuing clear out saw back to back titles in his two full seasons at Brisbane Roar.

At Yokohama, again, success didn't come straight away. He had the 10th biggest budget and won the J-League in his 2nd season but that came after a pretty underwhelming first season at the helm. At the time of his departure, Yokohama are 3rd in the J-League, 21 points off the pace with 5 games in hand.

Celtic supporters know their club better than me but it's safe to assume he won't have the 10th biggest budget to work with and he will not see a 2nd season at the helm if the first one is underwhelming. That 12 month rolling contract is a risk on his part but time will tell as to how well he goes. I ain't got the faintest idea how he'll go.

lsd

The Oracle
I’m intrigued to see what business you do this summer to try and cut the gap between yourselves and a very good Rangers team.

Well they hired the cheapest manager there is and are actively looking to cash in on their best players so i wouldn't hold my breath waiting on them to do any big exciting business

poleglass red

12 month rolling contract, almost like they want to be able to sack him quickly if it goes tits up, not exactly a sign of confidence. He could be a success, I imagine he has a good insight into players in the Oceania region and also in Asia as a result of his experience in the J league. Maybe the board are hoping he can pick up a few low priced players from there and sell them in a couple of seasons for profit.One things is for certain, he certainly won't have a big transfer budget to play with.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Wont matter what he does if they don't do good business this summer. Several top players (Ajer most notably) on their way out that need to be replaced.
Agreed. Unless the board support him with the money from Ajer & Edouard then he is destined to fail.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Can't see Postecoglou lasting the month at this rate. Absolutely shocking state of affairs for the Hoops. They need to turn this game around in the second half.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Can't see Postecoglou lasting the month at this rate. Absolutely shocking state of affairs for the Hoops. They need to turn this game around in the second half.
Well, if it doesn't work out I'm back hoping Keano tries his hand at management again.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
2 cracking saves from Gordon there to hold on to the win. Really good performance from Hearts in general tbf.

Swedish_Plumber

My Celtic supporting mate was telling me last night that Peter Lawwell was on more money and gave himself a bigger bonus than our own woody last year.
He’s led them on a downward spiral and the hostility he feels towards the board goes way beyond any of the ill feeling towards the players or manager.
Shocking start to the season. Rangers will cruise the league again.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
2 cracking saves from Gordon there to hold on to the win. Really good performance from Hearts in general tbf.
Didn't Celtic let him go last season even though he wanted to stay? Bit ironic really.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Celtic must be ripe for a take over with Scotland continuing to increase their UEFA coefficient. Last season they finished 11th which gives them an automatic CL place (so long as both the CL and EL winners have qualified via the league) and next year they are bound to be in the top 10, which gurantees that place and may even allow them to get their 2nd team into the play off round (although Celtic, Aberdeen, St Johnston and Hibs will have to pull their finger out in the conference league (I don't see Celtic/St Johnston qualifying for the Ropey.)

Wayne's World

I've never seen a team so bad at defending. Even the basics seem impossible to them. Look like conceding every time teams get a set-piece against them

I know they have kids playing in defence but surely they need more protection from the midfield instead of getting exposed time and time again.

RedDevilRoshi

They look a massive mess both on & off the pitch. Rangers will have the league won by Christmas again or probably even sooner.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I've never seen a team so bad at defending. Even the basics seem impossible to them. Look like conceding every time teams get a set-piece against them

I know they have kids playing in defence but surely they need more protection from the midfield instead of getting exposed time and time again.
Aye the back 5 that played midweek is bottom half of the Scottish Premiership standard. I think the new manager's style of play will require a higher standard of defender to pull it off. In the meantime they look messy off the ball.

Chipper

Adulterer.
How bad are they? Can't say I've seen them.

Is there a chance they fail to make the top 2 based on how they've looked so far?

A9X SJ

They were very poor last night Bitton is not a Central Defender & Edouard does not look interested. Think it will take something massive for the manager to last more than a year.

They will finish 2nd as usual Rangers looked very accomplished vs Livi

Chipper

Adulterer.
So one of their (now ex) players, Olivier Ntcham has announced that he's left the club on his instagram this afternoon before the club did. Fans calling out the lack of communication, plus they turned down some decent bids for him in the past and it looks like they've released him for nothing in the end.

Last edited:

POF

Is Lee O'Connor injured or just not good enough, even with the weak defence they're playing?

MC89

Supports
Celtic
My Celtic supporting mate was telling me last night that Peter Lawwell was on more money and gave himself a bigger bonus than our own woody last year.
He’s led them on a downward spiral and the hostility he feels towards the board goes way beyond any of the ill feeling towards the players or manager.
Shocking start to the season. Rangers will cruise the league again.
Listen, Peter Lawwell etc only got that money because of how well the club have done, they didn’t start on that kind of money, in 2003 Peter woulda been on a basic salary.

Swedish_Plumber

Listen, Peter Lawwell etc only got that money because of how well the club have done, they didn’t start on that kind of money, in 2003 Peter woulda been on a basic salary.
He’s done a very good job of loosening Celtics grip of domination. It was never gonna last forever, but if your clubs model is to buy talent on the cheap to then sell for profit further down the line, then you’ve got to sell! No point keeping demotivated players.
From treble treble to this is a sorry state of affairs and shows your board got complacent with the absence of real competition! Hardly worth a big payout.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How bad are they? Can't say I've seen them.

Is there a chance they fail to make the top 2 based on how they've looked so far?
Nah they’ll still get top 2. There isn’t another consistent Scottish side out of the old firm.

lsd

The Oracle
Is Lee O'Connor injured or just not good enough, even with the weak defence they're playing?

I'm sure the manager hasn't a clue who he is or who he has in that squad.

I'm sure I said this before but when he does get sacked the person who hired him should quit as well

POF

I'm sure the manager hasn't a clue who he is or who he has in that squad.

I'm sure I said this before but when he does get sacked the person who hired him should quit as well
You'd think he could ask him his name when he togs out for training!

dinostar77

Joe Hart will be a good signing for Celtic. Experienced keeper and good pro.