The Unpopular Opinion thread. Post yours here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Ibrahimovic is not good enough he needs dropped him for Rashford to get pace up front to hopefully increase teams goals.

Pogba/Herrera/Carrick are actually trash combination.

Fellaini has played better 90min matches than a lot of them.

We play Better without Ibra/Pogba
You're going to have to elaborate more here. Better without them both? Or better when one of them isn't on the pitch?

Not that you have to, but why do you say this? Have we actually played better without them or do you think we would play better without them?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
United should try and employ an unorthodox approach: hire some of Napoli's coaches to run the offensive side of things, particularly to train the players in the build-up to to the final third, and improve our transitions/attacking patterns (especially in wider areas) or finishing in and around the box (which Napoli is really good at). Their output and finishing is consistently good year-upon-year (even with changes of personnel - like losing Higuaín at the start of the current season), and the volume of goals they score from a plethora of positions and players is remarkable. 4th in terms of goals scored per game from some of the bigger European leagues (behind Monaco who're at 2.9, Madrid at 2.7, and Barcelona at 2.6) - with Callejón scoring 8, Insigne scoring 7, Milik scoring 4 in 4 starts before his injury, Hamšík scoring 9 and Mertens scoring 16. Our offensive woes have gone on for too long, and we might want to try multiple approaches to address that issue and arrest this pattern of fielding anemic attacks (instead of just the let's sign X or Y for eleventy-million part).

Meulensteen was supposed to be a good skills/finishing coach, and we might lack someone of that nature to ease the attackers' nerves, and improve folk's focus and composure in front of goal via repetitive training and orchestrating pre-planned goal scenarios:
"The way he [Meulensteen] trains is refreshing. He is truly one of the best coaches in the world. I've had a lot of good trainers, but it's the way he prepares our team for games.

"Every match is different so every training session in build-up is unique. We know exactly what to expect. He wins points for us through his training.

"We've won a lot of games by the odd goal - they are point winners. Consider the game against Chelsea.

"I scored after a low cross from Antonio Valencia on the right. It might seem like a fluke, but the whole week before the game was spent working on that move.

"Another example is my goal against Wigan when I cut the ball inside and shot with my right foot - again this was a situation we trained on."
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/robin-van-persie-manchester-unitedf-secret-success-432060

Boycott

Adding context to a statement isn't a bad thing. I thought it was interesting to read
True but this is the unpopular opinion thread. Nothing unpopular about essentially saying there can be solutions aside from throwing money around

TheBiggest

All this talk of the importance of bringing through youth is a load of crap. Don't remember anyone complaining when we reached 3 European finals in 4 seasons that we didn't have any youngsters breaking through though. (rooney and ronaldo were both signings remember)

There were loads of youth teamers-to-first teamers in those squads. I'd go so far as saying Darren Fletcher was inspirational in making us one of the best sides in Europe during that period...bizarrely underrated. We also had John O'Shea, Wes Brown, Jonny Evans, Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs, Tom Cleverley, Danny Welbeck, Fabio, Rafael - all players who came through our academy system , creating a nucleas of 'we are Man United' throughout the dressing-room.

Bringing through youth is vitally important for long-term success, otherwise you are chopping and changing squads every two seasons (see Chelsea and City) with sporadic success every now and then, but no sustained periods of success.

khoazany

United should try and employ an unorthodox approach: hire some of Napoli's coaches to run the offensive side of things, particularly to train the players in the build-up to to the final third, and improve our transitions/attacking patterns (especially in wider areas) or finishing in and around the box (which Napoli is really good at). Their output and finishing is consistently good year-upon-year (even with changes of personnel - like losing Higuaín at the start of the current season), and the volume of goals they score from a plethora of positions and players is remarkable. 4th in terms of goals scored per game from some of the bigger European leagues (behind Monaco who're at 2.9, Madrid at 2.7, and Barcelona at 2.6) - with Callejón scoring 8, Insigne scoring 7, Milik scoring 4 in 4 starts before his injury, Hamšík scoring 9 and Mertens scoring 16. Our offensive woes have gone on for too long, and we might want to try multiple approaches to address that issue and arrest this pattern of fielding anemic attacks (instead of just the let's sign X or Y for eleventy-million part).

Meulensteen was supposed to be a good skills/finishing coach, and we might lack someone of that nature to ease the attackers' nerves, and improve folk's focus and composure in front of goal via repetitive training and orchestrating pre-planned goal scenarios:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/robin-van-persie-manchester-unitedf-secret-success-432060
The problem with Meulensteen is he doesn't know himself too well. He's a great coach but a crap manager.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
The problem with Meulensteen is he doesn't know himself too well. He's a great coach but a crap manager.
Yes, but that was a suggestion to bring in extra attacking coaches in a capacity that reflected Meulensteen's at United (who was initially a technical skills development coach), while retaining Mourinho as the manager, so their managerial ability isn't a big factor, really. I guess it could be construed as an unpopular opinion in the spirit of this thread - because you're adding coaches the manager might or might want to add to his own cohort of Faria, Lauro and co. (which could lead to interpersonal strife). An even more extreme approach could be structuring the responsibilities NFL style - where the head coach oversees the defensive coaching staff via the defensive coordinator (likely Faria) and the offensive coaching staff via the offensive coordinator (the one poached from Napoli) - though there's no overlap there because only one unit takes the field at a time, and that might be harder to harmonize in football where both have to work in tandem and at perfect sync.

Jig1234

You're going to have to elaborate more here. Better without them both? Or better when one of them isn't on the pitch?

Not that you have to, but why do you say this? Have we actually played better without them or do you think we would play better without them?
I think we would play better without Ibra more so than Pogba. I rate Pogba highly but I said when we signed him, he alone would not be good enough because we don't have the other midfield players to get the best out of him.

He is playing far too deep in my opinion pinging long balls to ibrahimovic. I think we need a Kante to free him. Herrera likes to press and leaves too much space in behind the understanding between the pair just isn't there. When you look at Dembele-Wanyama, Or Matic-Kante. They are controlling games.

I think we don't have that top draw Defensive midfielder to allow Pogba more freedom. I thought we'd go 4-3-3 to play him left of a 3 man midfield. Carrick is very old no longer his best.

I think we sometimes look better without Pogba because having someone like Bastian or Fellaini who just sits and doesn't go wondering off as much helps our counter attacks. Herrera-Pogba it just looks like at times they both go chasing down leaving space in behind too much, sometimes less is more having a bit more positional awareness is needed.

I think Rashford leading the line would also help increase team goals. Someone running the channels would improve our football increase our likelihood of getting fouls and penalties. Ibrahimovic limits the effectiveness of Mata/Martial, MHki at times. Especially if teams come and sit deep against us that's when you need someone spinning defenders, It was effective last season for us with Rashford.

He shouldn't be used as a winger. He should play up front or not at all, it's probably the reason he has regressed and lost his sharpness/confidence. He only looks lively on the wing when he comes off the bench vs tired defenders.

Lastly I don't think our draws are unlucky nor do I think we have bad players. Yes, we have been finishing badly but I don't believe our football is making scoring easily. We play a certain brand of football that isn't designed for clinical finishing.

It's not good for 90mins it's good in flashes or a few good moments. With Ibrahimovic I don't honestly see him scoring more than 1 goal a game which leads to draws should we concede.

We would be better off trying to get the best out of Martial, Mata and co. to increase team goals rather than trying force the ball to Ibra for us to score. I think we just need to free the shackles Ibra is a good player but he is detrimental to those around him and our style of play.

Last edited:

Frank Grimes

There were loads of youth teamers-to-first teamers in those squads. I'd go so far as saying Darren Fletcher was inspirational in making us one of the best sides in Europe during that period...bizarrely underrated. We also had John O'Shea, Wes Brown, Jonny Evans, Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs, Tom Cleverley, Danny Welbeck, Fabio, Rafael - all players who came through our academy system , creating a nucleas of 'we are Man United' throughout the dressing-room.

Bringing through youth is vitally important for long-term success, otherwise you are chopping and changing squads every two seasons (see Chelsea and City) with sporadic success every now and then, but no sustained periods of success.
Chelsea have been the most successful club in England since Abramovich took over.

Bubz27

@Jig1234 it sounds to me as Pogba isn't the issue with your opinion, it's Herrera. If we had a Kante type next to Pogba instead of a Herrera type, Pogba would be more effective? Or a Kante type instead of Carrick?

TheBiggest

Chelsea have been the most successful club in England since Abramovich took over.

What? How did you work that one out? Chelsea have won 4 League titles since Roman, United have won 5 - and United have been in three Champions League finals to boot, too.

United from 2006-2013 - Fergie's last 7 years were the most successful years in United's 130-year history.

Frank Grimes

What? How did you work that one out? Chelsea have won 4 League titles since Roman, United have won 5 - and United have been in three Champions League finals to boot, too.

United from 2006-2013 - Fergie's last 7 years were the most successful years in United's 130-year history.
Count the trophies. We won one more league, which Chelsea will equal this year.

They won Europa Cup- 1 up to them.

They won 4 FA Cups to our 2 FA Cups- 2 up to them

We both won 3 league cups but we might nudge ahead soon. - 1 up to us hopefully

One European Cup each.

That's 2 more trophies by my calculations and matching all the big ones.

JoaquinJoaquin

Mikhitaryan has been pretty poor so far in his UTD career.
Consistency has been a problem for him but it's first season and the class is there even in the games where he isn't playing excellent, he always still manages to provides a key moment or two.

Camilo

Pogba is a dead weight in this team more often than not. 90mil?! 40 would have been generous.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Pogba is a dead weight in this team more often than not. 90mil?! 40 would have been generous.
Agreed, if an academy prospect had been playing the way he has for the last month he would've been dropped long ago and many fans would be calling for him to be sold.

Bubz27

Agreed, if an academy prospect had been playing the way he has for the last month he would've been dropped long ago and many fans would be calling for him to be sold.
And if an academy player had played like Pogba did the months before he'd be held up as one of the best in the world.

He's in poor form ATM, what's your point?

Fergus' son

And if an academy player had played like Pogba did the months before he'd be held up as one of the best in the world.

He's in poor form ATM, what's your point?
That he should be dropped as he's playing very poorly.

Bubz27

Not one bit. Created good chances against Liverpool too and is always lively.
He has missed a couple chances (who hasn't in a United shirt this season?!) But he always looks a threat. Carries the ball well, runs at players and turns his marker.

Robbie Boy

He has missed a couple chances (who hasn't in a United shirt this season?!) But he always looks a threat. Carries the ball well, runs at players and turns his marker.
It's just very en vogue on here to slate him these days.

Bubz27

That he should be dropped as he's playing very poorly.
For Fellaini? Or Scweinsteiger? Or we just let a very talented footballer, who has shown real quality this season, play through a bit of poor form?

Many many 23 year old footballers have poor form. IMO the ones who've shown world class potential need to be allowed time to find that form again.

Fergus' son

For Fellaini? Or Scweinsteiger? Or we just let a very talented footballer, who has shown real quality this season, play through a bit of poor form?

Many many 23 year old footballers have poor form. IMO the ones who've shown world class potential need to be allowed time to find that form again.

I'd be happy with Carrick, Herrera and Mickey through the middle. Don't let Pogba continue to play when he is playing as badly as he is - it's going to cost us points if it hasn't already.

Bubz27

I'd be happy with Carrick, Herrera and Mickey through the middle. Don't let Pogba continue to play when he is playing as badly as he is - it's going to cost us points if it hasn't already.
But Herrera's been poor as well. And Carrick. Pogba gets more criticism as he cost more.

30 minutes ago you said Mikhi has been poor in his Utd career, now you say you'd be happy with him over Pogba because Pogba's been poor over the last month?

Okay pal.

Bubz27

I see where your tagline comes from now.

Fergus' son

But Herrera's been poor as well. And Carrick. Pogba gets more criticism as he cost more.

30 minutes ago you said Mikhi has been poor in his Utd career, now you say you'd be happy with him over Pogba because Pogba's been poor over the last month?

Okay pal.
Pogba has been the worst - in my, clearly unpopular, opinion he should be dropped.

Get over it.

Bubz27

Cool story Fergus. Awesome joke too. Did you think of it yourself?

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Neymar will never win the Ballon D'or and will fade out by the age of 29.

Gabriel Jesus will win the Ballon D'or, and more than one.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Ibrahimovic is not playing well enough to deserve starting every game despite his 15 goals.

I think our attack functions better whenever Rashford can play as the striker.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Ibrahimovic is not playing well enough to deserve starting every game despite his 15 goals.

I think our attack functions better whenever Rashford can play as the striker.
i would like this to be true becuase if im honest with myself somthing about Ibrahimovc gets on my nerves and i really want Rashford to be a success, but to be honest its hard to say this is true becuase when was the last time we saw Rashford play as a striker without Ibrahimovic? Rashford has pretty much been a winger all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.