The USA Thread

Revan

Assumptionman
I don't think it is that bad to be fair, just that there is much more focus on it than in the other superpowers. China and Russia are significantly worse in every way, but no one cares to talk about that. Considering that (like it or not), USA is the centre of the world and most of the information is created there, it is not surprising the focus on it.

Saying that, it clearly has some big problems, and the division on the country which seems to have started at the end of last century, escalated during Obama's presidency and got worse in the last 3 years is a significant problem. Hopefully, they have already fallen as far as they can and start fixing their shit soon enough. Don't believe for a moment that they are in a 'Fall of Roman Empire' scenario.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
In the micro, Americans are awesome. I've been lucky to live and spend time in a few parts and they've been the most open, welcoming and genuine group I've come across.

Professionally, they work really hard, aren't nearly as cynical as the Brits and take incredible pride in what they do and their careers.

But it feels to me like it got to easy there for some of them. The strong work ethic and sense of purpose felt by the boomers- combined with incredible wealth growth of that generation - resulted in the next generations either being too comfortable or resentful of the inequality and death of opportunity.

Combine that with Gingrich's nihilism, ridiculous court decisions like citizen's United and whatever the ruling that said news can be entertainment and it opened itself up to bad actors like no other democracy. And the bad actors are winning.

Cait Sith

Bad education system.
No healthcare system.
Gun, military and bible fanaticism.
Get rich or die tryin' mentality capitalism.
Never been humbled by a big war on their own mainland since the civil war.

All the issues summed up in short.

Though, you can't say they aren't improving. It's only like 1 or 2 generations ago you were sitting at the back of the bus if you were black. Now if you are black you are only getting shot by police sitting in your living room and watching TV. Okay, that didn't go to where I wanted it to but ... yeah ...

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
In the micro, Americans are awesome. I've been lucky to live and spend time in a few parts and they've been the most open, welcoming and genuine group I've come across.

Professionally, they work really hard, aren't nearly as cynical as the Brits and take incredible pride in what they do and their careers.

But it feels to me like it got to easy there for some of them. The strong work ethic and sense of purpose felt by the boomers- combined with incredible wealth growth of that generation - resulted in the next generations either being too comfortable or resentful of the inequality and death of opportunity.

Combine that with Gingrich's nihilism, ridiculous court decisions like citizen's United and whatever the ruling that said news can be entertainment and it opened itself up to bad actors like no other democracy. And the bad actors are winning.
Yeah, agree with this. Nearly all Americans I've ever met were awesome.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Its a ridiculously beautiful country. Has natural beauty of all kinds and I would absolutely love to do route 66 for example. As a brown Muslim though I have my reservations driving through some states.
People in America are most accepting than Europe in some regards. I feel there is more racial tension in europe whenever I am there.

I think people of the south for instance aren't racist but just dumb and ignorant. The first time they meet a Muslim and find out they're just like them most are very welcoming.

shamans

Bad education system.
No healthcare system.
Gun, military and bible fanaticism.
Get rich or die tryin' mentality capitalism.
Never been humbled by a big war on their own mainland since the civil war.

All the issues summed up in short.

Though, you can't say they aren't improving. It's only like 1 or 2 generations ago you were sitting at the back of the bus if you were black. Now if you are black you are only getting shot by police sitting in your living room and watching TV. Okay, that didn't go to where I wanted it to but ... yeah ...
Which state do you live in

shamans

I don't think it is that bad to be fair, just that there is much more focus on it than in the other superpowers. China and Russia are significantly worse in every way, but no one cares to talk about that. Considering that (like it or not), USA is the centre of the world and most of the information is created there, it is not surprising the focus on it.

Saying that, it clearly has some big problems, and the division on the country which seems to have started at the end of last century, escalated during Obama's presidency and got worse in the last 3 years is a significant problem. Hopefully, they have already fallen as far as they can and start fixing their shit soon enough. Don't believe for a moment that they are in a 'Fall of Roman Empire' scenario.
You list china and russia as superpowers but it's not even close. Yes there are big problems but the country (and it's not even sized like any other country) is massive. I believe any nation with the amount of power u.s has would have problems of their own.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You list china and russia as superpowers but it's not even close. Yes there are big problems but the country (and it's not even sized like any other country) is massive.
Yeah I wouldn't exactly list a state with a smaller GDP than Texas or California as a superpower. They do have nukes, which counts for something but so do many other states.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Its a ridiculously beautiful country. Has natural beauty of all kinds and I would absolutely love to do route 66 for example. As a brown Muslim though I have my reservations driving through some states.
That's how I feel about continental Europe outside the major cities. I've had some Latin American friends experience some severe racism in parts of Germany, Belgium and Scandinavia

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
The issue for Sanders is he frames his policies through the prism of class whereas most of the southern black voters he needs tend to look at things through culture and identity. Until that bridge is gapped, Sanders will continue to underperform in an area he needs to excel in to win the nomination.
Do you think Bernie calling for single payer is class warfare?

Its simple common sense.

The women who endorsed him are the future of this country. They represent ordinary people.
More ministers in churches need to speak for policies that help their congregation even if the elected representatives do not.
Bernie has reached out to local politicians/ministers in SC for example.
Perhaps this will be a start.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Do you think Bernie calling for single payer is class warfare?

Its simple common sense.

The women who endorsed him are the future of this country. They represent ordinary people.
More ministers in churches need to speak for policies that help their congregation even if the elected representatives do not.
Bernie has reached out to local politicians/ministers in SC for example.
Perhaps this will be a start.
You’re losing it if you think religion needs to get into politics more. Also, ministers are probably on the GOP side of aisle and are happy to embrace a more theocratic government. You need to see The Family.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
You’re losing it if you think religion needs to get into politics more. Also, ministers are probably on the GOP side of aisle and are happy to embrace a more theocratic government. You need to see The Family.
We may not like it, but religion is a huge part of peoples' lives.
Getting a positive message across can help.
In black churches they have 'Souls to the Polls'

Carolina Red

Staff
Speaking to what people need is essential.
Though I understand where you are coming from.
Health care, voting rights are fundamental.
And have no place coming from behind a pulpit

The churches around here all preach the GOP gospel. The preacher saying something you agree with doesn’t make it right.

Carolina Red

Staff
Perhaps.
But it is a reality we have to live with.
No, it isn’t. Remove the tax exempt status of any church engaging in political acts. One church near me in SC ran afoul of that rule recently. Amazing how quick they took down their political message on their billboard

Carolina Red

Staff
I would start with the NRA first.
Yes. I have heard churches promoting war because the administration does.
I'd start with getting a new president so we don't have an executive order allowing churches to overtly engage in political messaging without repercussions from the IRS. Trump put that in place... wonder why?

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
And have no place coming from behind a pulpit

The churches around here all preach the GOP gospel. The preacher saying something you agree with doesn’t make it right.
I wouldn't be so against it if all the preachers stick to what is morally and socially right. Not long ago, I had a guest preacher in my church say that all democrats are running on an abortion platform where it is possible for women to forfeit the child after a day it was born and it would be legal for the mother to do so. I mean, come the feck on, it's murder