The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Jokes aside, HLA is highly polymorphic. Each sibling only has a 25% chance to be "identical" to his sibling for one locus, let alone there are multiple loci concerned.
Good point. I wasn’t really expecting them to be immunologically identical. Just using as an example of how two people with similar genotypes can react very differently to a vaccine. So we should expect a wide range of different responses amongst complete strangers.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Will be a load of people feeling sick because they expect to get sick. My old man was director of buildings at a university and told me a story about when they were treating all the plants in a block of offices with pesticide overnight. It was all deemed to be completely safe but they sent a letter to all the staff telling them what was happening and advising them to keep a window open the next day. The following day dozens of people called in sick with headaches and nausea and he got a load of emails complaining about the toxic pesticide. It gave him great pleasure to let them know the pesticide guy hadn’t turned up and none of the plants had been sprayed!
Haha, that's classic. Don't know if you ever saw the documentary, the town that caught tourettes. Similar thing.

I'm just hoping it doesn't put people off getting the jab.

Spoony

The People's President
I've had the Pfizer. You got an achy arm and a bit of fatigue. It doesn't last long, though. I've also had Covid...so a few hours of fatigue'll do me.

ZupZup

The first minister for Wales, Mark Drakeford, has said that they are intentionally slowing down vaccinating people with the Pfizer vaccine because they only have a limited supply and if they vaccinate loads of people now, the staff will have nothing to do so it's better to spread it out over the next couple of weeks.

One of the stupidest things I have ever heard...

F-Red

The first minister for Wales, Mark Drakeford, has said that they are intentionally slowing down vaccinating people with the Pfizer vaccine because they only have a limited supply and if they vaccinate loads of people now, the staff will have nothing to do so it's better to spread it out over the next couple of weeks.

Crazy strategy, however nothing surprises me anymore with Mark Drakeford.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Jokes aside, HLA is highly polymorphic. Each sibling only has a 25% chance to be "identical" to his sibling for one locus, let alone there are multiple loci concerned.
Can we get back to jokes about the parentage of Pogue's kids please?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
When mine arrived (for some reason) I was surprised how like me he looked. My wife still says we are 100% sure who the father is but the mother is less certain.
I’ve heard evolutionary theories that all newborns are wired to most resemble their father, to reassure us it’s all our own work. So we don’t kill and eat them. They grow to resemble their mother in later years.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I’ve heard evolutionary theories that all newborns are wired to most resemble their father, to reassure us it’s all our own work. So we don’t kill and eat them. They grow to resemble their mother in later years.
It makes sense and has an obvious evolutionary explanation but I think the evidence that this actually happens is a bit lacking.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

Not really what he meant. The issue is staffing. We’re being pushed 10k doses next week (in addition to what the GPs are getting). If they gave us any more there’s a risk we won’t be able to use it all. So why take that risk? The staff pool is building up week on week and we’ll have jabbed (offered) all 100k in our population of the top 4 groups by 14th Feb. Exactly the same target as England.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
No links between vaccine and the death of elderly patients found

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe...derly-deaths-and-vaccine-20210119-p56v3c.html
That headline is a bit misleading. The latest update from the Norwegian regulators is really just reaffirming their stance from when this first made the news. They can’t rule out the possibility that deaths might be due to side effects of the vaccine, so bear that in mind when vaccinating extremely frail/sick elderly patients. Which is eminently sensible advice. When it comes to interventions of any kind in patients like that, less is usually more.

Traub

What’s happening with the J & J vaccine? From what I’ve heard it’s looking very promising

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
That headline is a bit misleading. The latest update from the Norwegian regulators is really just reaffirming their stance from when this first made the news. They can’t rule out the possibility that deaths might be due to side effects of the vaccine, so bear that in mind when vaccinating extremely frail/sick elderly patients. Which is eminently sensible advice. When it comes to interventions of any kind in patients like that, less is usually more.
Yep. Do anything to very elderly, frail sick people and there is a real risk.

Interestingly the NSW Premier flagged that they may bring in laws that allow business owners to refuse service or access to people who haven't been vaccinated. Not sure how it would be enforced but interesting that they are considering it.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
First jab done, it's quick and basically painless for those with a fear of needles, it's nowhere near your TB jab or similar.

It is a strange feeling to be sat amongst loads of 80+ year olds whilst I'm 29 and deemed just as at risk. Bit sobering to be honest.

The doctors have got it down to a military operation though, apart from the waiting period after the jab I'd say I arrived and had my jab within 2 minutes.

Jacko21

It is a strange feeling to be sat amongst loads of 80+ year olds whilst I'm 29 and deemed just as at risk. Bit sobering to be honest.
Can empathise with that. Getting my jab on Thursday.

Still a way to go, but it'll be a milestone crossed nonetheless.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I reckon a lot more people would donate if this were the case in England. But English Guinness is pish, right?
It’s actually fine. If you go to pubs where it’s popular. Which is most pubs these days. Used to be grim because it wasn’t very popular so the first pint would come out of the pipes all stale and rank tasting. Plus the barman usually didn’t know how to pour it.

Nowadays it’s not unusual to find pubs in Ireland with shit Guinness. Full of hipsters drinking craft ales. Although when you go to a pub that pours a good pint it’s very very good.

God I miss good pints of Guinness. Feck you, covid :(

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
It’s actually fine. If you go to pubs where it’s popular. Which is most pubs these days. Used to be grim because it wasn’t very popular so the first pint would come out of the pipes all stale and rank tasting. Plus the barman usually didn’t know how to pour it.

Nowadays there’s actually loads of pubs in Ireland with shit Guinness. Full of hipsters drinking craft ales. Although when you go to a pub that pours a good pint it’s very very good.

God I miss good pints of Guinness. Feck you, covid :(
At a pub I used to work at we had really long lines to the cellar for some reason and my manager used to get really annoyed that I’d pour a pint or two off before I served the first customer of the day. Couldn’t get it through her head that I’d either pour it off and have a happy first customer or dont and the pint will come back our way anyway because it’ll taste like shite