The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Aren't false negatives a lot more common than false positives?
Similarly haven't we been hearing that these rapid tests are a bit crap? No doubt he'll take a full PCR now to confirm his rapid test.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The maintenance guy at another of my companies nursing homes just tested positive on a rapid test 3 weeks after his first Pfizer jab. Hopefully it's a false positive, otherwise its a little worrying.
Is he in a group that gets tested weekly/regularly or was the test because of symptoms?

3 weeks is still in that band labelled: 2 weeks post-vaccine + 3/10 days before infection is symptomatic or measurable on a lateral flow test. So it's on that border, I think. Not necessarily a worry just yet. Obviously it'll be something to watch out for though, and something people will need to know and understand when the data becomes clearer. Particularly those who are getting it because of their workplace.

C'est Moi Cantona

The maintenance guy at another of my companies nursing homes just tested positive on a rapid test 3 weeks after his first Pfizer jab. Hopefully it's a false positive, otherwise its a little worrying.
But if the Pfizer one is 95 % efficient, ( or less than this after one dose,) then at least 1 in 20 can still get it after having had the jab surely, so stories like this are going to become quite common, even more so with the Oxford one.

It will be interesting so see how many of the ones who've had the vaccine get seriuosly ill on this much larger scale than the trials, hopefully non.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Is he in a group that gets tested weekly/regularly or was the test because of symptoms?

3 weeks is still in that band labelled: 2 weeks post-vaccine + 3/10 days before infection is symptomatic or measurable on a lateral flow test. So it's on that border, I think. Not necessarily a worry just yet. Obviously it'll be something to watch out for though, and something people will need to know and understand when the data becomes clearer. Particularly those who are getting it because of their workplace.
Yeah we all have daily rapid tests and one weekly normal test. He is symptom free. The home has a bad outbreak going on sadly so it must be incredibly infectious. I wonder if level of exposure has any relevance to efficacy.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah we all have daily rapid tests and one weekly normal test. He is symptom free. The home has a bad outbreak going on sadly so it must be incredibly infectious. I wonder if level of exposure has any relevance to efficacy.
So his daily rapid tests were negative for three weeks after the vaccine until he suddenly tested positive? When was his last weekly test? Those rapid tests are not very reliable.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
So his daily rapid tests were negative for three weeks after the vaccine until he suddenly tested positive? When was his last weekly test? Those rapid tests are not very reliable.
Yep, tested negative Monday and Tuesday then positive today. They have had false positives apparently at that home. He did the weekly test on Tuesday so waiting for the result on that.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I watched a bit, that was painful. Doesn't fill you with confidence but I'm sure there's people more capable than him actually managing the process.

Two doses of Oxford's vacccine is better than the typical flu vaccine, yep.

Maybe if they give you one dose tomorrow and the second dose 12 months later, the second dose won't work as well and it could be worse than the flu. That's very unlikely to happen though. If you're getting it ~ 3 months later as planned, the data shows it's more efficacious than the flu, but only after you've gotten the second dose. In between dose 1 and 2 you're only "partially protected", so in that interim period it theoretically could be worse than the flu, different organisations have analysed that data differently so it doesn't come with the same concrete assessment.
Do you feel we will be able to live some level of normal life as the spring/summer comes on the horizon?

Long story short I want to go for some travelling in May (ideally world wide but realistically I'm probably looking at an EU tour I imagine) do you think the vaccines will control the virus to manageable levels for that to be possible?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I asked this in the covid thread but I have a follow-up (thanks @Pogue Mahone for the responses earlier).

Basically my parents were given their Pfizer 1st dose and caught covid around 5 days later. I know vaccine defence was registered 7-12(?) days into the dose to around 50%, but in this case will there be any impact from the vaccine as they go deeper into having contracted the virus? I.e. is it possible that the vaccine antibodies and the body's own immune system are fighting the virus as the days progress? Or is the vaccine ultimately useless in preventing severe symptoms because they have covid too soon?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I asked this in the covid thread but I have a follow-up (thanks @Pogue Mahone for the responses earlier).

Basically my parents were given their Pfizer 1st dose and caught covid around 5 days later. I know vaccine defence was registered 7-12(?) days into the dose to around 50%, but in this case will there be any impact from the vaccine as they go deeper into having contracted the virus? I.e. is it possible that the vaccine antibodies and the body's own immune system are fighting the virus as the days progress? Or is the vaccine ultimately useless in preventing severe symptoms because they have covid too soon?
When you say they caught it about 5 days later, do you mean they developed symptoms then or had a test then or something else?

Whichever it is it's very early days for the vaccine to have had a real impact, but if they really caught it 5 days after taking the vaccine it might have given their immune system a bit of a head start.

In any case I hope they're doing ok now and that they'll recover well.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
When you say they caught it about 5 days later, do you mean they developed symptoms then or had a test then or something else?

Whichever it is it's very early days for the vaccine to have had a real impact, but if they really caught it 5 days after taking the vaccine it might have given their immune system a bit of a head start.

Agree with this answer (and second the well wishes!)

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Agree with this answer (and second the well wishes!)
Thanks to both on this.

Yeah it's weird but to clarify:

Both had Pfizer dose 1 on Thursday. My dad complained about it being "freezing" during a stock take in his warehouse and sneezed a bit, no other complaints on Saturday. He took a lateral flow test on Sunday that was negative.

Then my mum was feeling funny on Tuesday, she was positive twice on lateral flow test. My dad followed and was positive too. Since then they've had flu like symptoms but temperature in control and nothing outside body ache and tiredness.

So if Tues eve counts as "day 1" making today "day 3", I was just curious if their vaccine from 7 days ago might have any impact.

Taking each day as it comes in any case. But as they are BAME and higher age category, one always worries. I appreciate the well wishes, I also pray & keep fingers crossed they only have mild symptoms!

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Do you feel we will be able to live some level of normal life as the spring/summer comes on the horizon?

Long story short I want to go for some travelling in May (ideally world wide but realistically I'm probably looking at an EU tour I imagine) do you think the vaccines will control the virus to manageable levels for that to be possible?
I suppose it'll vary a lot country by country. I think most of the UK population will have received at least one dose of the vaccine by the summer and things will seem relatively normal here, and that'll be true of many other countries too. I wouldn't assume it's true of most countries though, even neighbouring countries. The EU countries share the supplies equally but after that point there's a lot of variation in the distribution strategy, the medical infrastructure, population engagement etc.

I'm quite optimistic about the vaccination plan so it's possible you could be offered a vaccine by May, but even with new vaccines possibly coming onto the scene by then, we can safely assume we won't have the supplies for you to get the second vaccination. By that point I wouldn't be surprised to see some form of vaccination passport implemented. You'll have countries at a critical stage in the vaccination program, with light at the end of the tunnel, that won't want to jeopardise that to support tourism. I'd be very surprised if you were able to visit many Asian countries without being vaccinated, and I'd expect most countries to consider you unvaccinated if you've only got one dose.

Even after the entire UK population has been vaccinated (or close to it), I'd still expect there to be travel restrictions on UK travellers in places like Australia (who purchased vaccines later, so will receive them later) or Mexico (who haven't been able to acquire an affordable vaccine yet, and are relying on COVAX vaccinating 20% of the population). We still have very little data on how much the vaccines reduce transmission. If they reduce it a decent amount, somewhere like Mexico might open their borders while a large chunk of the population is unvaccinated, but somewhere like Australia won't. Even if it reduces transmission a lot, but not fully, it's unlikely Australia will allow vaccinated travellers before the vast majority of their population is immunised. This is all the UK are saying about transmission in their vaccine plan:

4.9 The role a vaccine can play in supporting the resumption of normal life depends on how the vaccine works – whether the vaccine primarily acts by preventing symptomatic disease including severe disease, or by also preventing infections, and whether virus transmission is also interrupted.

4.10 Phase III clinical trial results have already told us about a vaccine’s likely impact on symptomatic infections. Clinical trials are important in providing the vital information on preventing symptomatic disease and determining safety and how the vaccine will work in certain target groups. However, it will only be after significant numbers of people have been vaccinated that we will have more complete information on extra benefits such as preventing hospitalisation, severe disease and reducing transmission.
I'm sure you'll be able to travel in May, but if you were planning on visiting a lot of countries then I'd expect you to still be wearing masks in most places, there'd be restrictions on crowds in some places, and there'd still be localised flare-ups leading to emergency measures. There will surely be some countries that are still experiencing a national health crisis at that point, but a lot of countries should have things under control by then. Maybe a handful will have vaccinated almost all of the population, but many will have vaccinated the groups most likely to strain the health system and by that point they'll be looking to speed up the economic recovery in every possible way. Risk mitigation measures that carry almost no economic costs (like masks) still dominant but restrictions on activities pulled back a lot.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I suppose it'll vary a lot country by country. I think most of the UK population will have received at least one dose of the vaccine by the summer and things will seem relatively normal here, and that'll be true of many other countries too. I wouldn't assume it's true of most countries though, even neighbouring countries. The EU countries share the supplies equally but after that point there's a lot of variation in the distribution strategy, the medical infrastructure, population engagement etc.

I'm quite optimistic about the vaccination plan so it's possible you could be offered a vaccine by May, but even with new vaccines possibly coming onto the scene by then, we can safely assume we won't have the supplies for you to get the second vaccination. By that point I wouldn't be surprised to see some form of vaccination passport implemented. You'll have countries at a critical stage in the vaccination program, with light at the end of the tunnel, that won't want to jeopardise that to support tourism. I'd be very surprised if you were able to visit many Asian countries without being vaccinated, and I'd expect most countries to consider you unvaccinated if you've only got one dose.

Even after the entire UK population has been vaccinated (or close to it), I'd still expect there to be travel restrictions on UK travellers in places like Australia (who purchased vaccines later, so will receive them later) or Mexico (who haven't been able to acquire an affordable vaccine yet, and are relying on COVAX vaccinating 20% of the population). We still have very little data on how much the vaccines reduce transmission. If they reduce it a decent amount, somewhere like Mexico might open their borders while a large chunk of the population is unvaccinated, but somewhere like Australia won't. Even if it reduces transmission a lot, but not fully, it's unlikely Australia will allow vaccinated travellers before the vast majority of their population is immunised. This is all the UK are saying about transmission in their vaccine plan:

I'm sure you'll be able to travel in May, but if you were planning on visiting a lot of countries then I'd expect you to still be wearing masks in most places, there'd be restrictions on crowds in some places, and there'd still be localised flare-ups leading to emergency measures. There will surely be some countries that are still experiencing a national health crisis at that point, but a lot of countries should have things under control by then. Maybe a handful will have vaccinated almost all of the population, but many will have vaccinated the groups most likely to strain the health system and by that point they'll be looking to speed up the economic recovery in every possible way. Risk mitigation measures that carry almost no economic costs (like masks) still dominant but restrictions on activities pulled back a lot.
You are correct that Australia was slow off the mark buying vaccines so are going to be late getting a decent supply of the Pfizer vaccine. We are making the Oxford vaccine here so the governments refusal to seek emergency approval suggests to many that production wasn't ramped up as early as they previously suggested. Hardly a surprise with the scumbags we have as a Federal government.

Full approvals will come through soon and mid/late Feb will see the first vaccinations for prioritised groups and a full roll-out starting in March. They aim for a full roll-out by October so I'd be surprised if we allow people in much before then.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Thank-you for the reply. At this point i'm so eager to get back on the travel again i'd be happy if i could only go 1 country in the shrt term :lol:

Also in regards to Mexico, i swear their borders are open? Last i checked one of the travel vloggers i follow (Lifeofjord) was there and in the summer a few American's went as it was the only country they could visit.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
I have tickets the British Grand Prix in July. I hope this vaccination rollout hurries up.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Thank-you for the reply. At this point i'm so eager to get back on the travel again i'd be happy if i could only go 1 country in the shrt term :lol:

Also in regards to Mexico, i swear their borders are open? Last i checked one of the travel vloggers i follow (Lifeofjord) was there and in the summer a few American's went as it was the only country they could visit.
Have you thought about Rwanda? The Emirates billboards are telling me Rwanda is open.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Have you thought about Rwanda? The Emirates billboards are telling me Rwanda is open.
That's interesting, Africa is the only continent I haven't been too aswell.

Is it on the UK travel corridor?

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Had my first Pfizer jab today, would have liked to have had it two weeks ago but better late than never.

Fluctuation0161

But if the Pfizer one is 95 % efficient, ( or less than this after one dose,) then at least 1 in 20 can still get it after having had the jab surely, so stories like this are going to become quite common, even more so with the Oxford one.

It will be interesting so see how many of the ones who've had the vaccine get seriuosly ill on this much larger scale than the trials, hopefully non.
I thought it was around 60% effective after first dose.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I assume that’s because you’re benefitting from the UK’s vaccination policy and have a tiny population?
Yeah, I guess the UK got a head start at it and we're the smallest country so it's worked out well. Local GP practices are giving it out, and leisure centres in larger towns are being utilised also. Been a very encouraging response so far, my wife and grandmother already been sorted

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Anyone else hear this news about the nasal spray vaccine being developed in Lancaster? Great news for shitbags like myself who faint at the sight of a needle!
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/news/scientists-developing-covid-19-vaccine-nasal-spray-1
Shitbags like you aside, a nasal spray would be great because it can help prevent transmission. The current vaccines stimulate an immune response in your blood but the only way those antibodies can do their thing is after the virus has already made its way through your nose/airways. And it can be shed from there en route.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
With the AZ one being in full force now I am very impressed by how things are going in the UK .Go practices & pharmacies involved like the flu and they are setting up big centres in places like stadiums . Think we could actually have some sort of normalcy back by summer

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Have you gained any side effects such as flight or invisibility?
It might have given me hyperacusis, or perhaps my patients were just more annoying than usual today.

A few of my colleagues who got the jab last week are complaining of sluggishness, hoarse cough, and general malaise this week, not looking forward to any of that.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
What's with these videos of people shaking / twitching after the vaccine? Like days after?

I smell some kinda bullshit, I sure as hell wouldn't be thinking of posting a video and blaming the vaccine, I'd be at the doctor's or hospital, or laid like a pleb on the floor.

They seem to be able to talk pretty well and seem rather calm considering wtf is happening to their bodies.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Get my jab on Tuesday, I'm currently shielding so hoping it is deemed safe enough to return to work 2 weeks after the first jab

hmchan

Shitbags like you aside, a nasal spray would be great because it can help prevent transmission. The current vaccines stimulate an immune response in your blood but the only way those antibodies can do their thing is after the virus has already made its way through your nose/airways. And it can be shed from there en route.
Nasal spray works exactly the same as traditional vaccines. It stimulates an immune response in your blood. Only difference is that the antigen is introduced by a differen route.