The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Maybe I'm just giddy with all this good vaccine news, but is Covid actually a pretty dumb virus? I mean when you compare it to flu, it seems like vaccines are a lot more effective.
Jesus christ man, don't tempt fate!

Its looking good so far but don't forget we're only just over a year into the actual virus life itself and literally a few months into a handful of countries rolling out the vaccine on a vast scale.

Let's give it a few more years yet before announcing our victory over it. :D

Wolverine

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-56253139

Pilot scheme in Leicester to contact patients (contacted by a doctor) who had declined the vaccine to discuss their hesitancy. Quite a large number (over 60% in one practice) changed their mind and took the jab.

Older patients in the BAME community are usually more sensible and authority-trusting. My experience has been they are not vaccine denialist strictly but a few common themes (alcohol or pork concern in the muslim community, altering DNA etc) but for a lot of them it was their younger relatives that were more believing in the whatsapp nonsense that convinced them.

I think its a sensible thing to roll out and have an informed discussion nationally to the over 60s who are most at risk given the potential to save lives and change minds. Not sure if the will/time is there in primary care to do so.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-56253139

Pilot scheme in Leicester to contact patients (contacted by a doctor) who had declined the vaccine to discuss their hesitancy. Quite a large number (over 60% in one practice) changed their mind and took the jab.

Older patients in the BAME community are usually more sensible and authority-trusting. My experience has been they are not vaccine denialist strictly but a few common themes (alcohol or pork concern in the muslim community, altering DNA etc) but for a lot of them it was their younger relatives that were more believing in the whatsapp nonsense that convinced them.

I think its a sensible thing to roll out and have an informed discussion nationally to the over 60s who are most at risk given the potential to save lives and change minds. Not sure if the will/time is there in primary care to do so.
I think this is a great idea! Like you said, I'm not sure GPS will have the time to get through it for everyone, especially in the younger population but if they could, I think it would make a big difference.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
What does that mean?
There’s been a lot of concern about some new variants being able to evade our immune response (from prior infection and/or vaccination) This concern has been partly fuelled by studies which show that variants with a specific mutation (e.g. South African) don’t provoke the same increase in antibody levels that you see with the “normal” variants. Less antibodies means less immunity. However, your immune response isn’t limited to antibodies. There are also special cells called T cells which can help fight the infection. This (unpublished) study shows that there isn’t any significant difference in the T cell response with these new variants. Which would indicate that even if you don’t get as strong an immune response you definitely do get an immune response. Which could potentially be the difference between a flu-like illness and hospitalisation. Good news, in other words.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
There’s been a lot of concern about some new variants being able to evade our immune response (from prior infection and/or vaccination) This concern has been partly fuelled by studies which show that variants with a specific mutation (e.g. South African) don’t provoke the same increase in antibody levels that you see with the “normal” variants. Less antibodies means less immunity. However, your immune response isn’t limited to antibodies. There are also special cells called T cells which can help fight the infection. This (unpublished) study shows that there isn’t any significant difference in the T cell response with these new variants. Which would indicate that even if you don’t get as strong an immune response you definitely do get an immune response. Which could potentially be the difference between a flu-like illness and hospitalisation. Good news, in other words.
That's great thanks

Traub

Jesus christ man, don't tempt fate!

Its looking good so far but don't forget we're only just over a year into the actual virus life itself and literally a few months into a handful of countries rolling out the vaccine on a vast scale.

Let's give it a few more years yet before announcing our victory over it. :D
Heh, I've been so negative for so long that I couldn't help myself. You're of course right, we can't get ahead of ourselves. There a few nasty twists and turns on the way, but it is amazing what has been achieved in a year - humankind can be amazing when it isn't busy killing itself.

5 years is a fecking lifetime

People will be doing what they want long before then vaccine or not
It is long, but world wars lasted for around 5 years. It'll take a while for things to go back to the way they were.

finneh

Booked in for my first jab this Saturday which is surprisingly early (33 years old but asthma put me into category 6).

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

:drool: It seems like things are escalating dramatically in the US in terms of production and distribution. Now imagine where we could be if we'd had a competent government last year.

One of the primary issues for the US is the high rate of vaccine hesitancy among white Republicans, who have convinced themselves not to get the vaccine.

Last edited:

Tiber

I'm still not 100% clear why as I'm 29, but I had my vaccine today (the UK one, apparently GP surgeries can't provide the US one). Very easy process, got a text from my GP last Friday with a mobile number to call to confirm appointment

Getting the actual jab took about 30 seconds. Didn't even leave a mark or bleed like a blood test usually does.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Heh, I've been so negative for so long that I couldn't help myself. You're of course right, we can't get ahead of ourselves. There a few nasty twists and turns on the way, but it is amazing what has been achieved in a year - humankind can be amazing when it isn't busy killing itself.
I'm kidding :D. A year ago there was nothing guaranteed about a vaccine or treatments. Now we have both. Amazing stuff.

I think the British thing is different. I've heard it both ends from the UK. Some who want the British one because...rule Britannia I guess. And some who want pfizer because of their impression it is a significantly superior vaccine.

Sadly, it seems to be more than anecdotal and health authorities across Europe are admitting they need to try to rehabilitate the image of the vaccine:

Germans shunning AZ centres

Italian teachers' union upset at being offered AZ

Heads of some other unions across Europe upset at AZ offer

Merkel accepts an image problem for AZ

German doses not being used (and also as said, priority groups not expanded properly)

Germans not turning up

As above

Prof Mertens acknowledges image problem again

Of course seemingly poor organisational structures in some of the countries has played a big part, as has the limits placed on the age too. But there is a clear hesitancy amongst many people (including on here!) to have the AZ vaccine and I think many of the politicians/ PH practitioners are starting to realise how much they need to change the discourse around the vaccine.

Governments have not allowed it's use in the elderly due to a lack of data, but vaccination campaigns have been targeted squarely at that demographic. Until recently, very few people who have been eligible for a vaccine were eligible for the the AZ vaccine. It's been easier to give everybody one vaccine in one place than divide them up.

There is also a logistical element. Italy went from last week having 293 centralised hubs for distributing the Pfizer vaccine, to 1541 hubs, GP surgeries and community centres, with more to come. Those 1200 odd new locations have all had to start from scratch and that takes a little time. In the first few days there was something stupid like a 20% take up of the AZ vaccine but it's getting better now.

Finally you have the fairly well publicised trial cock ups and inferior data that has undermined confidence. People understandably want the best vaccine possible, and i think with a single shot J&J vaccine coming this will only get worse.

In other good news, the EMA is meeting on 11 March to approve the J&J vaccine, with commitments to receive 100 million doses by June.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Governments have not allowed it's use in the elderly due to a lack of data, but vaccination campaigns have been targeted squarely at that demographic. Until recently, very few people who have been eligible for a vaccine were eligible for the the AZ vaccine. It's been easier to give everybody one vaccine in one place than divide them up.

There is also a logistical element. Italy went from last week having 293 centralised hubs for distributing the Pfizer vaccine, to 1541 hubs, GP surgeries and community centres, with more to come. Those 1200 odd new locations have all had to start from scratch and that takes a little time. In the first few days there was something stupid like a 20% take up of the AZ vaccine but it's getting better now.

Finally you have the fairly well publicised trial cock ups and inferior data that has undermined confidence. People understandably want the best vaccine possible, and i think with a single shot J&J vaccine coming this will only get worse.

In other good news, the EMA is meeting on 11 March to approve the J&J vaccine, with commitments to receive 100 million doses by June.
Maybe not in Italy, if the American Catholic craziness makes it across the pond. Looks like the Vatican have already waded in too.

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Got a call from my GP this morning and been booked in for my jab this afternoon. Slightly surprised as I am young and have no underlying health conditions, I am from a minority ethnic group however so I wonder if that's getting a push from this phase of the rollout or if it's based purely on the patient assessments of my GP.
Are you living with a pregnant person? My mate (also 28 and not vulnerable) has been called due to his partner being pregnant.

Roane

I think the "image problem" is a bit overblown. It is and was definitely there and the whole back and fourth with their data as well as the big nationalism show-off didn`t help but I expect the scale of the problem to be quite irrelevant.
At least in Germany many of the "AZ doses unused" stories are due to logistical issues and not people refusing to take the AZ one (as well as like @Pogue Mahone said, it so far not being given to +65 years old). There were a couple of headlines of a region where apparently +50% doses went unused because of people not turning up ... and it turned out it was down to many not being informed not because they refused it. But it made good headlines and many narratives in Covid times are created even faster than usual.
A lot of health authorities and politicians have promoted the AZ vaccine now after they realized that an image problem was created and I think it won`t be a big discussion point couple of weeks from now.

In recent weeks I`ve become quite optimistic with regards to the challenge of vaccine scepticism and I think the percentage of people taking them will be far above 50-70% polls are showing in Europe. The reason is that with Covid being such a big presence in everyone`s life and the speed of vaccinations going forward so quickly, everyone will soon know multiple people who got vaccinated. And while trust in politicians or companies is low, everyone trusts his own abilities to observe one`s social surroundings. And they will realize themselves that 99% simply feel a bit sick for a day or so and then are completely fine.
The mystic and for conspiracy people compelling stories of "NURSE XY DIED AFTER TAKING COVID VACCINE" lose a lot of relevance and dramatism if 30 of your friends and relatives have had vaccines and are walking around completely fine.
Agreed.

I personally know someone who was in the age bracket and vulnerable category who, when offered the vaccine early on, said no and didn't want it.

Now she has heard and seen some folk around her have it and wants it.

I think nervousness with something "new" has to be factored in rather than simply thinking it's all conspiracy theory type factors.

Hopefully as more and more people, from all age brackets and ethnicities, have it, it should provide reassurance for those who naturally nervous or have worries

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Rang my GP this morning about something unrelated but asked where I might be in relation to getting a jab. I will probably be group 5, which is likely to be June or July. I was told that they had just done 11 over 75s for context of how slow it’s moving.
it’s shockingly slow in ireland

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who sent a me a reply in here. Im on day 4 now and can say that I was worrying over nothing. Felt a little tired and spacey on the first night. A little tired on the Monday and Tuesday. A few very minor headaches over the first couple of days, but nothing horrible at all.

Now Im off to start worrying about the effects of the second jab in 12 weeks time :D

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who sent a me a reply in here. Im on day 4 now and can say that I was worrying over nothing. Felt a little tired and spacey on the first night. A little tired on the Monday and Tuesday. A few very minor headaches over the first couple of days, but nothing horrible at all.

Now Im off to start worrying about the effects of the second jab in 12 weeks time :D
Nice one Norm. Glad to hear you're feeling more bouyant. I can't wait to get mine.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Got my first Pfizer shot this morning. Remarkably painless and uneventful (so far). Was told to not be surprised if I feel a bit exhausted for the next day or two.

golden_blunder

Staff
Ok Veruca.
We all do. Well, most of us anyway.

I keep thinking I’m near to being called but tbh my best chance now might be through my job. Construction is considered essential but still no sign of any...
Yeah just getting impatient.
do you have a Kruger pharma near you?

djembatheking

My wife had her second Pfizer jab yesterday , no real side effects so far, just a slight headache.

golden_blunder

Staff
It's Kroger I think. It's a grocery store chain.
Actually you’re right, a Kroger supermarket pharmacy

my bro told them he is a caregiver for his mother-in-law (he’s not). All they wanted was her name & DOB plus his insurance card & drivers license. They gave him a shot there and then.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Mate, I'm honestly so happy to hear this. Well done for getting the jab, I can't imagine the difficulty in coming to the decision.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Mate, I'm honestly so happy to hear this. Well done for getting the jab, I can't imagine the difficulty in coming to the decision.
Just white knuckled it. I figured what the hell. I could avoid it and it would still be in front of me today. Or I could power through and have it behind me. And here we are today and its behind me, with thankfully little in the way of side effects. The worst part was right after and having to sit up the back of the hall to wait 10 minutes to see if I had a bad reaction. I dont think Ive seen a clock hand move that slow since I was at school. But feck it, its done now. Its behind me, I can relax a bit now. Just have to go through it all again in 12 weeks. Which will be fun.