The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Just white knuckled it. I figured what the hell. I could avoid it and it would still be in front of me today. Or I could power through and have it behind me. And here we are today and its behind me, with thankfully little in the way of side effects. The worst part was right after and having to sit up the back of the hall to wait 10 minutes to see if I had a bad reaction. I dont think Ive seen a clock hand move that slow since I was at school. But feck it, its done now. Its behind me, I can relax a bit now. Just have to go through it all again in 12 weeks. Which will be fun.
Well done. Just think very soon you won’t have to worry about it at all

stepic

got my first jab next week. didn't think they'd even started on the 30-39 age bracket (of which i'm only just eligible) but seems like some parts of London are getting through their lists quicky. happy days.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Just white knuckled it. I figured what the hell. I could avoid it and it would still be in front of me today. Or I could power through and have it behind me. And here we are today and its behind me, with thankfully little in the way of side effects. The worst part was right after and having to sit up the back of the hall to wait 10 minutes to see if I had a bad reaction. I dont think Ive seen a clock hand move that slow since I was at school. But feck it, its done now. Its behind me, I can relax a bit now. Just have to go through it all again in 12 weeks. Which will be fun.
It's great that you felt able to have it, I'm really happy for you. I'm sure you won't feel as anxious about the second vaccination as you know what it's all about now. :)

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Had a jab of the Oxford yesterday as i'm a registered carer for my mum. Woke up this morning with a bit of a painful arm and heavy head but hopefully that's it, i've seen family members get really ill but others completely fine.

Hope all the caftards get this done and over with sooner rather than later, and without the crappy sideaffects!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Well done. I hope you are proud of yourself?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Good for you.
Supposedly the 2nd jab could show more effects.
It went down as expected - took about 3 naps throughout the day and gradually developed a sensation as if someone punched me in the arm at the injection site. Much better today after a full gym session.

Germany have now approved the Oxford vaccine for over 65's.
Good news, lots of countries doing the same now the data supports it. The EMA has also started evaluating the Russian vaccine for approval.

Here in Italy we are also apparently going to approve a single dose of the vaccines for anybody who has had Covid between 3 and 6 months ago.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Jeepers, more than 100% of 75-79 year olds took it. Fair play to them

Eire Red United

got my first jab next week. didn't think they'd even started on the 30-39 age bracket (of which i'm only just eligible) but seems like some parts of London are getting through their lists quicky. happy days.
Seriously? Can’t believe they are vaccinating that age group already, that is brilliant!

Can anyone explain to me what AZ are playing at attempting to send from Europe to Australia after doing a horrific job on it’s delivery commitments to the EU? I can’t wrap my head around it.

Even worse is that EU vaccines will save lives now, which is supposed to be the whole fecking point.
What are Aussie jabs doing aside from getting them closer to “normal”, they and NZ should clearly be at the back of any queue.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Can anyone explain to me what AZ are playing at attempting to send from Europe to Australia after doing a horrific job on it’s delivery commitments to the EU? I can’t wrap my head around it.

Even worse is that EU vaccines will save lives now, which is supposed to be the whole fecking point.
What are Aussie jabs doing aside from getting them closer to “normal”, they and NZ should clearly be at the back of any queue.
Why should they be at the back of the queue? Their strategy all along has been to lock down hard and pay the cost with civil liberties rather than lives. As things stand, due to that approach, they have far lower herd immunity than other nations so have a greater need for vaccines if they too want to open things up like everyone else.

F-Red

I think it's a bit of a political move here, the EU have let some 150 shipments leave their shores already from AZ & Pfizer, but no answers as to why they're stopping this one. EU seem to be stockpiling volume at the minute due to a low take up rate, as of last week France had used around 16% of their 1.1m doses, Germany just over 20% of 1.45m doses, Italy 20% of 1m doses, and Spain with 30% of 800k doses.

I don't see how 250k is going to impact a delivery schedule when it's clear that some EU countries are doing a very poor job in terms of using the doses available.

I think it's a bit of a political move here, the EU have let some 150 shipments leave their shores already from AZ & Pfizer, but no answers as to why they're stopping this one. EU seem to be stockpiling volume at the minute due to a low take up rate, as of last week France had used around 16% of their 1.1m doses, Germany just over 20% of 1.45m doses, Italy 20% of 1m doses, and Spain with 30% of 800k doses.

I don't see how 250k is going to impact a delivery schedule when it's clear that some EU countries are doing a very poor job in terms of using the doses available.
I get that, but other EU countries desperately need doses now.
What I don’t understand is AZ saying they can’t deliver anything close to what was planned, yet having enough to try and send to Aus?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I’m not sure what’s going on in Italy but the AZ supply to Ireland has been a nightmare. Way more chaotic than Pfizer/Moderna. Extremely late notice of significant shortfall in weekly shipments. Which is causing chaos in GP surgeries that are trying to book patients in based on expected stock, week by week.

It’s definitely possible that there’s a surplus of stock in Italy overall while AZ are still failing to meet their supply commitments in a certain regions. Hence the Italians are in a strop.

I’m not sure what’s going on in Italy but the AZ supply to Ireland has been a nightmare. Way more chaotic than Pfizer/Moderna. Extremely late notice of significant shortfall in weekly shipments. Which is causing chaos in GP surgeries that are trying to book patients in based on expected stock, week by week.
Same over here, and it’s a part Swedish company. The late notice has been horrific by all accounts.
Gets more bizarre too because the other day the Swedish CEO invited all the top media peeps to an online meeting to “explain the difficulties”, but demanded everything be confidential and no filming or reporting of the things said.
Obviously the media bigwigs said no so AZ cancelled the meeting.
Odd.

F-Red

I get that, but other EU countries desperately need doses now.
What I don’t understand is AZ saying they can’t deliver anything close to what was planned, yet having enough to try and send to Aus?
The EU have made a call as a block on how they distribute amongst their nations. Based on their current supply levels, it would suggest that their distribution strategy isn't in line with their take up rate. As we've gone through in this thread already, the EU's contact of supply was loose at best in terms of being held to any delivery schedule (best endeavours of supply)

Italy released a Pfizer delivery mid-February to Australia, so it's definitely a political move on this. I would have more sympathy with the EU's situation if they're outstripping supply with demand for this vaccine, but the data shows that this isn't the case currently.

. I would have more sympathy with the EU's situation if they're outstripping supply with demand for this vaccine, but the data shows that this isn't the case currently.
They can’t get enough supply here, or anywhere in the Nordics, or Ireland.
Pogue mentions the issues above for Ireland but it’s been an utter clusterfeck here, even in a country that part owns the company.

F-Red

It’s definitely possible that there’s a surplus of stock in Italy overall while AZ are still failing to meet their supply commitments in a certain regions. Hence the Italians are in a strop.
They've got surplus themselves on AZ vaccines, so their position isn't down to supply commitments, unless they're intentionally stockpiling.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
They've got surplus themselves on AZ vaccines, so their position isn't down to supply commitments, unless they're intentionally stockpiling.
The point I’m making is that Italy could have a surplus overall because of unused vaccines sitting in fridges in towns/regions with poor uptake, while other towns/regions are left short because the weekly delivery was 250k short of what was expected. I know for a fact that very late notice delivery shortfalls have been happening in Ireland ( we don’t have an overall surplus, though, because our uptake has been very high)

It’s particularly frustrating because the expectations were that the AZ vaccine would be far less of a logistical hassle than the extreme cold chain mRNA vaccines. Instead the opposite is turning out to be the case. So far anyway.

F-Red

We know why that is though, scepticism over the AZ jab.
Then they need to fix their issue, they can't be sitting on unused vaccines in a pandemic.

It’s no excuse for such late notice on shortfalls to countries that need it though and can’t get stock fast enough, whilst AZ attempt to send stock from the EU to Aus.
Well the EU have decided to negotiate as a block, and demand supply as a block. I have no sympathy when they're not utilising all of the supply they're being given. As documented in that thread prior, we can't assume that all contracts of supply is the same. EU's supply agreement is down as best endeavours, there's nothing binding to get stock to a schedule other than at AZ's behest. Treating them as a block, they're currently oversupplied.

Revan

Assumptionman
Maybe I'm just giddy with all this good vaccine news, but is Covid actually a pretty dumb virus? I mean when you compare it to flu, it seems like vaccines are a lot more effective.
The thing we call the ‘flu’ is not actually a single disease called by a single virus. In fact, the flu shot actually contains 3 different shots for the most popular strain of three flu viruses: H1N1, H3N2 and influenza type B (there are many other flu viruses). Obviously, it’s efficiency is much lower, same as the efficiency of a coronavirus shot would be much lower if we also include the other coronaviruses (like SARS, MERS or the four coronaviruses that cause common cold).

F-Red

The point I’m making is that Italy could have a surplus overall because of unused vaccines sitting in fridges in towns/regions with poor uptake, while other towns/regions are left short because the weekly delivery was 250k short of what was expected. I know for a fact this is happening in Ireland (minus the surplus, because our uptake has been very high)

It’s particularly frustrating because the expectations were that the AZ vaccine would be far less of a logistical hassle than the extreme cold chain mRNA vaccines. Instead the opposite is turning out to be the case. So far anyway.
I mean it's all conjecture again right? Based on the EU's track record with AZ I'm sure there is more than meets the eye here. They've released over 150 shipments out of the EU so far on both Pfizer & AZ - why is this one now such an issue?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I mean it's all conjecture again right? Based on the EU's track record with AZ I'm sure there is more than meets the eye here. They've released over 150 shipments out of the EU so far on both Pfizer & AZ - why is this one now such an issue?
I don’t know. I’m just sharing our own experience of the AZ supply chain and speculating from there.

It’s even more vaccine going to a country with no corona whilst places like Ireland & Denmark, who have corona, can’t get it and are being let down at short notice constantly by AZ ?

If the vaccines supply was going well from AZ side or if they were shipping to corona hit countries, I don’t think this would happen. The most important thing surely at this point is to vaccine as many risk group people in Covid hit lands, as soon as humanly possible?

F-Red

Surely you can see why that isn’t an option?
Of course, I was being facetious. However von der Leyen was key to negotiate as a bloc, but when it comes to supply then it's every country for themselves.

It’s even more vaccine going to a country with no corona whilst places like Ireland & Sweden who have corona, can’t get it and are being let down at short notice constantly by AZ ?
It's an irrelevant point, just because Australia got their shit together they should be at the back of the queue? They have health workers, vulnerable demographics like any other country.

It's an irrelevant point, just because Australia got their shit together they should be at the back of the queue? They have health workers, vulnerable demographics like any other country.
How is it irrelevant? quaratine is currently saving all lives in Aus from corona.
That isn’t an option for many countries that AZ is currently letting down with it’s supply, often at incredibly short notice.
How can they at short notice keep telling countries they are getting 70% less than agreed, but then ship from Europe to Aus? It’s pretty ridiculous.
As I say, were it being shipped to say, Mexico, it wouldn’t be an issue.