The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yea, I had the AZ / Oxford one last Friday (32, not vulnerable, but I'm given a 'front line volunteer' status).

Some minor side effects - the only lasting one is the arm / area the vaccine is administered is sore and swollen for a few days after.
I always think, surely a sore arm is a side effect of a needle piercing your arm rather than a side effect of the vaccine?

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Yea, I had the AZ / Oxford one last Friday (32, not vulnerable, but I'm given a 'front line volunteer' status).

Some minor side effects - the only lasting one is the arm / area the vaccine is administered is sore and swollen for a few days after.
Yeah waiting now, if there is any side effects we'll see. My dad also had the pfizer but he just a slightly tender arm area around the injection point. My mum had the AZ and its floored her for the week., headaches, chills and achiness.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I always think, surely a sore arm is a side effect of a needle piercing your arm rather than a side effect of the vaccine?
To be honest, these needles are so small that it shouldn't have the level of soreness I've experienced over the last few days. Even when I took flu jabs when I was younger, it's never resulted in any pain after.

For reference, I've done a stem cell donation recently (#humblebrag) and that involved 18 injections over a period of 4 days to increase the stem cell count in my blood. Absolutely no soreness or pain after those injections (and that was less than a month ago).

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I had Pfizer this afternoon. Arm aches and a bit wobbly on my feet/dropping things but not suffering much.

Cloud7

Got the AZ vaccine today. Among the first batch of people from my department to get it. Let’s see how this goes.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
So 24 hours in after the Pfizer, I was a little bit lethargic late afternoon yesterday still am a bit. Today slight headache and area around the injection point feels a bit sore but really nothing major. Going to do a workout in a minute and see if there's anything from that.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Pfizer/Biontech are ready to ask the US FDA for permission to relax part of their extreme (-70c) cold chain requirements by allowing transfer to a more normal (-20c) deep freeze for a couple of weeks. A big deal for the logistics issues in a lot of countries and a shift that will be increasingly important once there are supplies available for export from US and EU production.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
It would be a good use of the NHS Tracker app if it wasn’t run by absolutely incompetent dick heads.

Vaccination centres upload how many excess doses they have, a notification is triggered to users within a proximity of a vaccination centre. Users can then hit accept and get a notification and booking slot if they were successful.

If they fail to turn up, they can’t book another excess slot for X weeks.

Cloud7

Got the AZ vaccine today. Among the first batch of people from my department to get it. Let’s see how this goes.
Update on this. Had to leave work early today because I felt terrible. Fever, body aches, headache, lethargy, and tenderness at the injection site. Of the five of us that got it yesterday, three of us had to leave work early today and one person couldn't even make it.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Update on this. Had to leave work early today because I felt terrible. Fever, body aches, headache, lethargy, and tenderness at the injection site. Of the five of us that got it yesterday, three of us had to leave work early today and one person couldn't even make it.
Sorry to hear that man. Important I think to be honest with people that these vaccines will have side effects, sometimes quite brutal for a day or two.

I don't know anyone who's received the moderna but I know loads of people who've gotten rigors and felt truly awful with the Pfizer and AZ ones.

Better than the alternative though!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Sorry to hear that, hopefully it's just a 24 hour thing. I know people who have felt this way (Pfizer) for 24/48 hours before feeling fine.

Jacko21

Similar to me. Couldn’t quite believe how rough I felt! I had a really ropey 36 hours - very achy, high temperature, chills etc. Couldn’t sleep a wink either because I was in so much discomfort.

Just had to ride it out with the help of paracetamol.

Hope it passes for you soon!

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Interesting news coming out from mainland Europe showing low levels of uptake for the AZ vaccine, likely not helped by the previous war of words, some very false media reporting and similarly irresponsible comments from some politicians.

Phil

It would be a good use of the NHS Tracker app if it wasn’t run by absolutely incompetent dick heads.

Vaccination centres upload how many excess doses they have, a notification is triggered to users within a proximity of a vaccination centre. Users can then hit accept and get a notification and booking slot if they were successful.

Yeah this would be an awesome use of the technology but I'm not sure how Conservatives and their mates would make money from that?

F-Red

Couldn't think of a worse idea, I would leave the decision for vaccinations and contacts, of the priority paitents, to the local healthcare providers and the primary care networks, they know their patients better than anyone. Centralised operations have shown to be somewhat of a shit show during this pandemic.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Sorry to hear that man. Important I think to be honest with people that these vaccines will have side effects, sometimes quite brutal for a day or two.

I don't know anyone who's received the moderna but I know loads of people who've gotten rigors and felt truly awful with the Pfizer and AZ ones.

Better than the alternative though!
Youve just convinced me to opt out.

ManchesterYoda

If these vaccines are safe, why did the pharmaceutical companies want legal protection and why did the UK government grant them legal protection?

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Couldn't think of a worse idea, I would leave the decision for vaccinations and contacts of the priority level to the local healthcare providers and the primary care networks, they know their patients better than anyone. Centralised operations have shown to be somewhat of a shit show during this pandemic.
The point is that vaccines are going to waste because they’re expiring at the very end of the day. Do you really think local healthcare providers have the resources to maintain a prioritised list and call around in the 11th hour to organise bookings? How many of these people will be close enough to the vaccine centre to get there in time?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Wear it. Own it. It's a badge of honour.

I'm ridiculously envious of people getting jabbed already. I wish I could experience this feeling knowing full well what benefits it's giving me.

Hope you feel better soon. 99.9999% sure you will very soon.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
And what guy is that?
Opting out based on hearsay from other people. The percentage of people feeling severe side effects is absolutely tiny on a big scale and this is about the bigger picture. The vaccine is essential to moving out of this situation. Do your part and get it when you're eligible.

F-Red

The point is that vaccines are going to waste because they’re expiring at the very end of the day. Do you really think local healthcare providers have the resources to maintain a prioritised list and call around in the 11th hour to organise bookings? How many of these people will be close enough to the vaccine centre to get there in time?
Primary care networks have those reserve lists already and are working to them. This back in December - https://www.gponline.com/viewpoint-pcn-gave-940-covid-19-vaccines-one-day/article/1702995

Your point on vaccine wastage - how much is being wasted currently?

Norman Brownbutter

Opting out based on hearsay from other people. The percentage of people feeling severe side effects is absolutely tiny on a big scale and this is about the bigger picture. The vaccine is essential to moving out of this situation. Do your part and get it when you're eligible.
Im eligible right now, and I wont be bullied into it by "do your part". There are a lot of question surrounding the vaccines, like as asked above why was there a need to give legal protections to the makers of these vaccines? If its so safe, why did the government go out of its way to give legal protections not only to the companies but to itself as well? Im not saying there is something fishy going on, but I was never in hurry to be one of the first anyway. And even though I do have an underlying health condition, never expected to be getting one this soon.

"Doing my part" is wearing a mask, its social distancing and washing my hands. Ive stayed in doors for over a year and Ive seen no one. I have no problems continuing to do that. In short, I dont trust this vaccines and my intuition was already telling me not to. Seeing people all over talk about hideous side effects, isnt making my opinion any different.

Balljy

Wear it. Own it. It's a badge of honour.

I'm ridiculously envious of people getting jabbed already. I wish I could experience this feeling knowing full well what benefits it's giving me.

Hope you feel better soon. 99.9999% sure you will very soon.
Agreed, treat as a physical sign that the immune system is ramping up and creating those antibodies. It like any vaccine has potential to make you feel dodgy for a short while but that's innate to what they do in teaching your body how to react when it happens for real.

Norman Brownbutter

If you are asking, you're already that guy.
You mean the guy with sever anxiety issues and various other mental health problems? Yeah, Im that guy. Why dont you pick on me some more so you can feel good about yourself.

Balljy

Im eligible right now, and I wont be bullied into it by "do your part". There are a lot of question surrounding the vaccines, like as asked above why was there a need to give legal protections to the makers of these vaccines? If its so safe, why did the government go out of its way to give legal protections not only to the companies but to itself as well? Im not saying there is something fishy going on, but I was never in hurry to be one of the first anyway. And even though I do have an underlying health condition, never expected to be getting one this soon.

"Doing my part" is wearing a mask, its social distancing and washing my hands. Ive stayed in doors for over a year and Ive seen no one. I have no problems continuing to do that. In short, I dont trust this vaccines and my intuition was already telling me not to. Seeing people all over talk about hideous side effects, isnt making my opinion any different.
Side effects are innate to vaccinations in general because of what they do (get your immune system to fight a future infection) and these ones are no different. They're short lived if you even get them. The issue with not taking it isn't so much now but in the future when we begin opening up as even small pockets of infections can cause big outbreaks (Wuhan...). When we open up being vaccinated helps us keep normal life going rather than the infection carrying to spread.

It's up to you at the end of the day, but the data coming out of these shots are in far greater quantity and better researched than anything else before it. How often do we get a pandemic where we have a chance to look at the results of huge numbers like Israel already after all? The data on these vaccines is already huge and getting bigger by the day so is reliable and open to look at.

Last edited:

F-Red

If these vaccines are safe, why did the pharmaceutical companies want legal protection and why did the UK government grant them legal protection?
I think you're missing the point, a vaccine doesn't need legal protection to be deemed safe. If they're approved by the regulators, then they see it as safe.

Legal protection wise, this explains it well:

We understand that part of the reason to do this was to encourage companies to aggressively invest and back vaccine development. These measures reduced their exposure to financial risk. The government effectively gave legal immunity to all the companies supplying and all the health workers injecting the vaccine. The immunity also covers the NHS trusts and foundations that employ the health workers.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Youve just convinced me to opt out.
That's fine, we'll make sure to send you pictures of ourselves on holiday again, in restaurants, pubs, theatres, hugging friends and family, generally getting back to normal life etc :D .

In all seriousness, you missed the last part of my post seemingly which is that the vaccine side effects (pretty much always gone by 48 hours at its worst) are infinitely better than the side effects of Covid (deadness).

Ultimately its your decision and I can just about get a young fit 20 year old turning down the jab for side effect reasons (though would still disagree) but for someone with an underlying health condition, I would say on balance its infinitely better than the disease. Worth noting that there is literally nothing we do in medicine which doesn't carry with it a risk of side effects. That includes giving even the most minimal of analgesia like paracetamol or Ibuprofen.

Classical Mechanic

I'm hearing that you can just turn up at a mass vaccination centre and get a jab at the moment. I know someone who is trying it tomorrow so I might try early next week if it works.

BluesJr

There is no great conspiracy at play, the vaccine is completely safe and if you feel some side effects they'll be gone in no time at all.

ManchesterYoda

If someone has already had Covid and they now have a natural immunity to Covid why do they need to take a Covid vaccine?

prateik

There is no evidence you have immunity to Covid if you've had it. Not long term anyway.
Is there any evidence of long term immunity with vaccines?
not anti vaccination in any way .. had just been wondering about it and it just popped back into my mind when I saw the post.

BluesJr

Is there any evidence of long term immunity with vaccines?
not anti vaccination in any way .. had just been wondering about it and it just popped back into my mind when I saw the post.
Well I don't think booster jags are out of the question or if new variants become resistant.

NinjaFletch

Well that's a tremendously stupid gamble then.

Roane

From what I understand, and I'm sure someone with more knowledge will correct me if wrong, the different vaccines can have different effects on individuals due to the ingredients in the vaccine.

I don't know the science if I'm honest but as it was explained to me the Moderna one would have more people feeling ill than Pfizer simply due to the make up of the vaccine.

Also iirc we used to have to have boosters if visiting south Asia (every five years when I was younger) and the side effects were as people have described. As in dead arm for a day or so. I remember I had one in he 89's and couldn't out my coat on for a couple of days as lifting the arm hurt.

Similarly iirc one if the issues with MMR for kids was that having the jabs all in one or together meant that the child would be lethargic etc for a couple of days.

Not travelled for a few years to countries where the booster jabs were required so don't know if this has changed, as in sore arm etc

Norman Brownbutter

That's fine, we'll make sure to send you pictures of ourselves on holiday again, in restaurants, pubs, theatres, hugging friends and family, generally getting back to normal life etc :D .

In all seriousness, you missed the last part of my post seemingly which is that the vaccine side effects (pretty much always gone by 48 hours at its worst) are infinitely better than the side effects of Covid (deadness).

Ultimately its your decision and I can just about get a young fit 20 year old turning down the jab for side effect reasons (though would still disagree) but for someone with an underlying health condition, I would say on balance its infinitely better than the disease. Worth noting that there is literally nothing we do in medicine which doesn't carry with it a risk of side effects. That includes giving even the most minimal of analgesia like paracetamol or Ibuprofen.
I was already having grave misgivings. The other posts seemingly confirming my fears, and your post was just "the one" that did it. To be clear though, I already have severe anxiety issues, so taking any new drugs is something I avoid already. I even avoid taking pain killers, opting to just put up with the headache. I never went out before, so life hasnt changed much for me during lock down anyway if Im honest.

I have a deep fear of being ill. Its not lost on me that Im risking that anyway, but its also painful to think of forcing myself out the door, down to the vaccination centre and holding still while something injects "liquid death"(Yes, Im that bad) into me. Im not saying Im right, Im not saying anyone should follow me down this rabbit hole. Im just saying that for me and my mental bullshit that gets in the way of living anyway, my instincts are telling me not to. And those instincts have kept me alive so far, I guess.