The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
So we just had a major city mayor refuse an allotment of J & J vaccines due to their lack of quality vs. the other vaccines. The Catholic Church has authorities within telling its flock to not take the J & J vaccines due to it being derived from tissues from aborted fetuses. What absurdity is next for this particular vaccine?
Huh? Why would he think that the J&J vaccine is poorer quality?

The Catholic Church are just doing what you would expect. I wonder if they tell people not to have the MMR (R - Rubella), Hep A, Chickenpox or rabies vaccines as they are produced using cloned fetal cells.

It is often ignored that the vaccines themselves do not contain any fetal material according to what I read.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
So we just had a major city mayor refuse an allotment of J & J vaccines due to their lack of quality vs. the other vaccines. The Catholic Church has authorities within telling its flock to not take the J & J vaccines due to it being derived from tissues from aborted fetuses. What absurdity is next for this particular vaccine?
This whole thing has become a bad circus and that includes the scary clowns. Just make the damn vaccine easily available already. I'm wondering what will be the rules moving forward. Will the people who chose not to get vaccinated not be allowed in certain places ? Will it be required for anyone flying ? That's going to be the next debate once the majority of the population is vaccinated. It's never going to be over.

prateik

From Moderna's own white paper:

"The key challenge associated with DNA vaccines is that they must penetrate the cell nucleus (crossing two membranes; the cytoplasm and the nucleus). The DNA must then be transcribed in the nucleus into mRNA before moving to the cytoplasm to stimulate antigen production. This core complex pathway often requires both larger doses and special, often painful delivery devices using electric shocks or gold microspheres into person’s skin to deliver the DNA vaccine. Once inside the nucleus, DNA vaccines have a risk of permanently changing a person’s DNA."

Something potentially impacting the entire human race, possibly irreversibly, needs to fulfill the highest safety standards ever applied to a vaccine.
It's not nonsense. A DNA vaccine would be fraught with problems.

But an mRNA vaccine is not a DNA vaccine.
Is there a reason you didn't link to it? Here it is (it's from 2017) - https://www.modernatx.com/sites/default/files/RNA_Vaccines_White_Paper_Moderna_050317_v8_4.pdf

The section directly following the part you've chosen to excerpt concerns mRNA vaccines:

"These vaccines combine the advantages of DNA vaccines (natural antigen expression and production that is faster and standardized) while addressing many of the disadvantages. Unlike DNA vaccines, mRNA vaccines do not need to enter the nucleus, nor do they risk being integrated into our DNA, and they are directly translated into protein antigens. As a result, mRNA vaccines require only 1/1000 the dose of DNA vaccines and do not need special delivery devices."
Absolutely not intended to call any poster out.. just remembered the DNA/mRNA talk here from a few months ago.. searched and saw these.. The feeling I got after reading the posts back in Nov was that DNA would be risky and mRNA is safer..

Remembered it after reading the new J&J vaccine is a DNA vaccine and it does inject DNA into the nucleus of the cell..

It's been approved , so it's safe and I'll be totally fine with it.. just wondering if the fear over DNA vaccines were overblown or if J&J did something to address the potential issues?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Absolutely not intended to call any poster out.. just remembered the DNA/mRNA talk here from a few months ago.. searched and saw these.. The feeling I got after reading the posts back in Nov was that DNA would be risky and mRNA is safer..

Remembered it after reading the new J&J vaccine is a DNA vaccine and it does inject DNA into the nucleus of the cell..

It's been approved , so it's safe and I'll be totally fine with it.. just wondering if the fear over DNA vaccines were overblown or if J&J did something to address the potential issues?
The J&J vaccine is an attenuated human adenovirus vectored vaccine. Not an mRNA much less a DNA vaccine.

They better not try any of that here. Much as Catholocism comes from here and is deeply ingrained in society, they seem pretty content to take their tax cheques and stay out of current affairs.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The J&J vaccine is an attenuated human adenovirus vectored vaccine. Not an mRNA much less a DNA vaccine.
Oh. i read https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/health/johnson-johnson-covid-19-vaccine.html and thought it was the same as the DNA vaccine that was being talked about.
The J&J vaccine uses DNA to code for the production of spike proteins. That’s why it doesn’t need the extreme cold storage of the mRNA vaccines, because DNA is far less fragile than mRNA.

The AZ vaccine also uses DNA. Both of them use an adenovirus to get the DNA inside your cells.

prateik

The J&J vaccine uses DNA to code for the production of spike proteins. That’s why it doesn’t need the extreme cold storage of the mRNA vaccines, because DNA is far less fragile than mRNA.

The AZ vaccine also uses DNA. Both of them use an adenovirus to get the DNA inside your cells.
ok.. I read that article and remembered the posts here.. assumed it was referring to the same thing..

Thanks @Wibble and Pogue.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Oh. i read https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/health/johnson-johnson-covid-19-vaccine.html and thought it was the same as the DNA vaccine that was being talked about.
Those research papers were talking about how mRNA vaccines operate. They don't inject spike proteins or similar virus fragments into the body, instead they effectively trick the body into making some spike proteins (which the immune system then "kills"). In doing so they don't change the person's DNA, but they do temporarily subvert another part of some of the vaccinated person's cells to work as a kind of spike factory.

The J&J vaccine instead injects complete bunches of ready made spikes attached to modified adenoviruses. The DNA involved isn't the DNA of the person who gets vaccinated, it's what gets stuck in the adenovirus as spikes

And I hope that my attempt to describe that hasn't got so simplistic that I've just made a horrible mess of it...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Those research papers were talking about how mRNA vaccines operate. They don't inject spike proteins or similar virus fragments into the body, instead they effectively trick the body into making some spike proteins (which the immune system then "kills"). In doing so they don't change the person's DNA, but they do temporarily subvert another part of some of the vaccinated person's cells to work as a kind of spike factory.

The J&J vaccine instead injects complete bunches of spikes attached to modified adenoviruses. The DNA involved isn't the DNA of the person who gets vaccinated, it's what happens to the adenovirus to make it grow spikes.

And I hope that my attempt to describe that hasn't got so simplistic that I've just made a horrible mess of it...
I think you’ve got that slightly wrong. The adenovirus doesn’t inject complete spikes. It injects DNA, which hijacks your own intracellular protein manufacturing apparatus (called ribosomes) to build SARS-COV-2 spikes.

People get a bit freaked out about having foreign DNA inside them but there’s no need. There are dozens of DNA viruses that do this who are in circulation for millions of years. Chickenpox and cold sores would be the most well known. They use this exact same method to reproduce every time you get infected. The difference with the adenovirus vectors in these vaccines is they code for the spike protein only. They don’t have the DNA needed to replicate and create new whole viruses.

Side note. Apparently we evolved some of our most complex metabolic processes thanks to viral DNA that got integrated into animal DNA millions of years ago. 8% of human DNA is thought to have come from viruses!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I think you’ve got that slightly wrong. The adenovirus doesn’t inject complete spikes. It injects DNA, which hijacks your own intracellular protein manufacturing apparatus (called ribosomes) to build SARS-COV-2 spikes.

People get a bit freaked out about having foreign DNA inside them but there’s no need. There are dozens of DNA viruses that do this who are in circulation for millions of years. Chickenpox and cold sores would be the most well known. They use this exact same method to reproduce every time you get infected. The difference with the adenovirus vectors in these vaccines is they code for the spike protein only. They don’t have the DNA needed to replicate and create new whole viruses.

Side note. Apparently we evolved some of our most complex metabolic processes thanks to viral DNA that got integrated into animal DNA millions of years ago. 8% of human DNA is thought to have come from viruses!
Thanks for clarifying that. I've got used to thinking about subunit vaccines, and I've got too glib with the distinctions - as I feared!

There is actually a nice (not too techie) summary at:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/how-they-work.html
Which covers the main vaccine types we've seen in the west. J&J are in that vector vaccine category.
  • mRNA vaccines contain material from the virus that causes COVID-19 that gives our cells instructions for how to make a harmless protein that is unique to the virus. After our cells make copies of the protein, they destroy the genetic material from the vaccine. Our bodies recognize that the protein should not be there and build T-lymphocytes and B-lymphocytes that will remember how to fight the virus that causes COVID-19 if we are infected in the future.
  • Protein subunit vaccines include harmless pieces (proteins) of the virus that cause COVID-19 instead of the entire germ. Once vaccinated, our immune system recognizes that the proteins don’t belong in the body and begins making T-lymphocytes and antibodies. If we are ever infected in the future, memory cells will recognize and fight the virus.
  • Vector vaccines contain a weakened version of a live virus—a different virus than the one that causes COVID-19—that has genetic material from the virus that causes COVID-19 inserted in it (this is called a viral vector). Once the viral vector is inside our cells, the genetic material gives cells instructions to make a protein that is unique to the virus that causes COVID-19. Using these instructions, our cells make copies of the protein. This prompts our bodies to build T-lymphocytes and B-lymphocytes that will remember how to fight that virus if we are infected in the future.

Just for completeness, while I'm thinking about this. There is a fourth type of vaccine out there, a couple of the Chinese vaccines in particular use the whole covid virus cells that are weakened/inactivated so as not to reproduce/cause infection.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
@jojojo

If you (or anyone else) wants to go deep on all things covid vaccine I can’t recommend this resource highly enough. It tests your knowledge and understanding as you go and adapts accordingly. So is accessible to almost every level of baseline understanding.

I think you might need to pretend to be a doctor to use it but there’s no checking involved. And it’s free!

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Huh? Why would he think that the J&J vaccine is poorer quality?

The Catholic Church are just doing what you would expect. I wonder if they tell people not to have the MMR (R - Rubella), Hep A, Chickenpox or rabies vaccines as they are produced using cloned fetal cells.

It is often ignored that the vaccines themselves do not contain any fetal material according to what I read.
To be fair Wibs, the official guidance from the Catholic Church is "have the vaccine, and if only one is available to you, have that one."

zing

Zingle balls
A friend's mother is afraid of taking the vaccine because she has allergies to 3 things - penicillin, brufin, tinidazole.

She consulted a general physician who has advised that it is okay but she's just not able to get over her irrational fear.

I was able to find this which categorically states that penicillin allergy is not related to the vaccine: https://www.anaphylaxis.org.uk/covid-19-advice/pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-and-allergies/

Is there any other sources I can use for the other two please?..

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
My 85 year old nana went into hospital with covid a couple of weeks ago, she started with covid symptoms the day after her vaccine, and went into hospital about a week after having her jab. She came home on Wednesday :).

I genuinely think that the vaccine has saved her life

Eire Red United

My 85 year old nana went into hospital with covid a couple of weeks ago, she started with covid symptoms the day after her vaccine, and went into hospital about a week after having her jab. She came home on Wednesday :).

That’s good news! Hope she makes full recovery.

Wolverine

A friend's mother is afraid of taking the vaccine because she has allergies to 3 things - penicillin, brufin, tinidazole.

She consulted a general physician who has advised that it is okay but she's just not able to get over her irrational fear.

I was able to find this which categorically states that penicillin allergy is not related to the vaccine: https://www.anaphylaxis.org.uk/covid-19-advice/pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-and-allergies/

Page sixteen to seventeen here
https://assets.publishing.service.g...961287/Greenbook_chapter_14a_v7_12Feb2021.pdf

Generally if its multiple anaphylaxis-type allergic reactions that we are being cautious about or if its an allergic reaction to previous vaccine. I'm averaging I think maybe a couple of hundred patients per week in terms of vaccinations, many with severe penicillin and sulfa allergies. Never once did I have to, touch wood, open up the anaphylaxis kit.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56309198
People aged 56 to 59 in England are being invited to book their coronavirus vaccine from this week.
Letters for people in the age group, offering them the vaccine, started being delivered to homes on Saturday.
It comes after eight in 10 people aged 65 to 69 have taken up the offer of a jab, NHS England said.

So, if you're in the UK, and you're 56 or over - you can make a booking at:
www.nhs.uk/covid-vaccination
You'll need to give the system your NHS number as part of the process.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56309198
People aged 56 to 59 in England are being invited to book their coronavirus vaccine from this week.
Letters for people in the age group, offering them the vaccine, started being delivered to homes on Saturday.
It comes after eight in 10 people aged 65 to 69 have taken up the offer of a jab, NHS England said.

So, if you're in the UK, and you're 56 or over - you can make a booking at:
www.nhs.uk/covid-vaccination
You'll need to give the system your NHS number as part of the process.
What’s with the arbitrary age groups? 65-69 and now 56-59?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

But it isn't a DNA vaccine, although some are in early phase trials I think I heard - that should be interesting when/if they get approved. The crazies will have a field day thinking they will suddenly sprout another arm and be controllable by the government or some such nonsense.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
What’s with the arbitrary age groups? 65-69 and now 56-59?
The 60-64 group only got their invites last week. The reason they mention the 65-69 group is because they can give a take up rate for them, it's too early to do that with the 60-64s.

Incidentally, with the addition of the 56+ group, roughly half of the invites that have gone out so far have been based on age group, and half have been based on other risk factors (clinical vulnerability, heath and social care workers etc).

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
The 60-64 group only got their invites last week. The reason they mention the 65-69 group is because they can give a take up rate for them, it's too early to do that with the 60-64s.

Incidentally, with the addition of the 56+ group, roughly half of the invites that have gone out so far have been based on age group, and half have been based on other risk factors (clinical vulnerability, heath and social care workers etc).
Sorry my question was more simply “Why 56-59 and not 55-59?” It’s gone from intervals of 5 years to an interval of 4 years.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Sorry my question was more simply “Why 56-59 and not 55-59?” It’s gone from intervals of 5 years to an interval of 4 years.
Ah, I misunderstood. The actual age driven invites are going out in chunks - presumably to stop the booking system overloading. So the 60-64 invite group in Manchester was actually a 63-64 group followed a few days later by a 60-62 group.

There are some other regional variations as well. These media announcements should help pick up the people who get missed by the GP mailing lists etc. They're obviously getting more confident about the booking system and the vaccine supply is presumably getting more predictable as well.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Ah, I misunderstood. The actual age driven invites are going out in chunks - presumably to stop the booking system overloading. So the 60-64 invite group in Manchester was actually a 63-64 group followed a few days later by a 60-62 group.

There are some other regional variations as well. These media announcements should help pick up the people who get missed by the GP mailing lists etc. They're obviously getting more confident about the booking system and the vaccine supply is presumably getting more predictable as well.
Ah that explains it thank you. I guess as you go down through the age groups the volume of people will naturally get larger and larger so the intervals will need to be flexible to reflect that.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
But it isn't a DNA vaccine, although some are in early phase trials I think I heard - that should be interesting when/if they get approved. The crazies will have a field day thinking they will suddenly sprout another arm and be controllable by the government or some such nonsense.
It is a DNA vaccine, in that it uses a virus vector to introduce DNA which codes for the spike protein.

I see your point, though. There are vaccines in development which use DNA without a virus vector.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Thanks for sharing. I’m actually allergic to penicillin myself so that’s something I hadn’t thought off. Good it’s not a thing

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Any idea where she caught it?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It is a DNA vaccine, in that it uses a virus vector to introduce DNA which codes for the spike protein.

I see your point, though. There are vaccines in development which use DNA without a virus vector.
Is it? From what I read it is a non-replicating human adenovirus vector viral vector vaccine which contains DNA that encodes a covid protein, but isn't an actual DNA plasmid vaccine.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

One of my patients who had significant breathing issues with COPD was admitted to the hospital a few days after her second dose of the vaccine. The admission was for something non covid , she was tested on admission & was negative . A week or so later she was tested before discharge and her covid test was positive , she most likely got it in the hospital. She stayed in the hospital for a week more and was then discharged. She never actually developed any breathing issues which kind of was great proof for the fact that the vaccine doesn't necessarily prevent infection but does help with the severity

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
One of my patients who had significant breathing issues with COPD was admitted to the hospital a few days after her second dose of the vaccine. The admission was for something non covid , she was tested on admission & was negative . A week or so later she was tested before discharge and her covid test was positive , she most likely got it in the hospital. She stayed in the hospital for a week more and was then discharged. She never actually developed any breathing issues which kind of was great proof for the fact that the vaccine doesn't necessarily prevent infection but does help with the severity
That's great news. What was the cause of the COPD in the first instance?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Is it? From what I read it is a non-replicating human adenovirus vector viral vector vaccine which contains DNA that encodes a covid protein, but isn't an actual DNA plasmid vaccine.
A vaccine which contains DNA that encodes a covid protein. How is that not a DNA vaccine?! The only difference is the method by which the DNA is introduced into your cells.

There are really only three ways to induce an immune response to a specific antigen. Inject you with the antigen itself. Inject with with mRNA to prompt your own cells to manufacture the antigen. Inject you with DNA to prompt your own cells to manufacture the antigen.

There a bunch of different routes to achieve those goals but they all lead to one of the same three end games.

Last edited:

sewey89

Any idea where she caught it?
Yes. My cnut of an uncle (her son) went to visit her after having ‘a cold’ which turned out to be a confirmed covid case. fecking prick. He’s denying it completely though and saying that his symptoms started after he visited her

sewey89

That’s really good news and a similar story to the one we found with my nana, no real breathing difficulties at all.