The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Why has the UK's vaccination rate fallen off a cliff? It's almost half what it was just a few days ago.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/...-doses-per-capita?country=DEU~GBR~FRA~ITA~ESP
These could be down to the delays expected due to distribution issues of AZ.

Don't think this will be off the back of recent news as their still in the process of focussing on those way over 50. It's also still the Easter holidays here for everyone, so parents may not want to have to contend with childminding and getting their first shot.

Tony Babangida

I got the AZ vaccine this morning in Aus, I’m in my 30s. The government just announced they are withdrawing it for under 50s. I’ll still get my second shot apparently.

Pretty bad news for chances of border restrictions lifting, which is personally pretty upsetting as I want to go back to the UK to see family. This government has really messed up the vaccine procurement, went all in on AZ and UQ vaccines with seemingly no backup plan.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout

Infra-red

My 31 year old sister, who is booked in to have AZ tomorrow afternoon, is not loving this news.
A friend of mine who is 30 is booked for Sunday. She is quite anxious.

Let me know how it goes if she decides to go ahead with the vaccine.
She went this afternoon and they unexpectedly gave her the choice between AZ and Pfizer. She says that she was pretty much the only person in there below the age of 70 (everyone else was getting their second shot). She opted for Pfizer.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
A friend of mine who is 30 is booked for Sunday. She is quite anxious.

Let me know how it goes if she decides to go ahead with the vaccine.
While this is absoluely understandable, you still have a higher likelyhood of dying in a plane crash, rather than the rare reaction recently liked to a auto-immune response to the vaccine in patients with a very spesific set of conditions.

I have no issues with getting the AZ vaccine personally, but its scary when media reports of fatalities centered around a reaction, so understandable that people are concerned. A possible scenario is that AZ vaccinations will continue, but with a added antiplatelet treatment that goes with it to remove the reported side effects, or be stopped entirely. AZ's response to the reports have been extremely underwhelming.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Wife and I got second dose of Pfizer yesterday. It is kicking our butt today, but totally worth it.

Mihai

While this is absoluely understandable, you still have a higher likelyhood of dying in a plane crash, rather than the rare reaction recently liked to a auto-immune response to the vaccine in patients with a very spesific set of conditions.

I have no issues with getting the AZ vaccine personally, but its scary when media reports of fatalities centered around a reaction, so understandable that people are concerned. A possible scenario is that AZ vaccinations will continue, but with a added antiplatelet treatment that goes with it to remove the reported side effects, or be stopped entirely. AZ's response to the reports have been extremely underwhelming.
I would get the AZ vaccine tomorrow, if offered. But, different people have different levels of anxiety and are differently influenced by all these news.

My question was more if people would be offered an alternative as reported yesterday or at least be put on a separate waiting list for an alternative vaccine etc.

lynchie

Why has the UK's vaccination rate fallen off a cliff? It's almost half what it was just a few days ago.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/...-doses-per-capita?country=DEU~GBR~FRA~ITA~ESP
Weird timing, the UK did half a million doses today. Numbers were way down over the weekend, because of the holidays so the 7 day average is down. Today also marks the point the number of first doses passes the number of people in priority groups 1-9. Big focus will be on second doses this month, to mirror the big surge in vaccinations in early February.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Wasn’t this predicted a few weeks back? Something to do with AZ supply issues from a plant in India? Or was it raw materials? Can’t remember. I definitely remember a big reduction in April supplies being discussed.
Yes especially if the EU blocks AZ exports as announced by Thierry Breton IIRC

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
The predicted shortage this month had absolute nothing to do with the EU. Found an article about it. Basically India has done what the EU threatened it might do but never did.
Thanks for the clarification.

The way I view things is that it might make sense - from a political perspective - to voluntarily start to slow down the delivery of 1st doses by anticipation ensure those who need a 2nd one will be satisfied in the mid term.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Thanks for the clarification.

The way I view things is that it might make sense - from a political perspective - to voluntarily start to slow down the delivery of 1st doses by anticipation ensure those who need a 2nd one will be satisfied in the mid term.
I definitely think they need to make sure everyone gets their second doses when originally planned. Even if that means younger cohorts need to wait that bit longer for the first dose. In terms of viral variants the worst possible scenario is a whole load of partially vaccinated people.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Over here in the Netherlands it has just been decided that people under 60 will definitively not be vaccinated with AstraZeneca.

My dad who's in his 70s and has various underlying health conditions got his first Pfizer shot this morning so that is quite nice.

I guess the plan with AstraZeneca is to use the current batches over the next weeks until they've reached the 60 years of age group, and by that time they are counting on a whole load of other vaccines to be available for people under 60.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Over here in the Netherlands it has just been decided that people under 60 will definitively not be vaccinated with AstraZeneca.

My dad who's in his 70s and has various underlying health conditions got his first Pfizer shot this morning so that is quite nice.

I guess the plan with AstraZeneca is to use the current batches over the next weeks until they've reached the 60 years of age group, and by that time they are counting on a whole load of other vaccines to be available for people under 60.
Snap!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
My Dad got his second Pfizer jab today which is obviously fantastic but he hasn’t had an immune response either time, think I’d rather he did?!

Rajma

My Dad got his second Pfizer jab today which is obviously fantastic but he hasn’t had an immune response either time, think I’d rather he did?!
I don’t think it says much to be honest, I had plenty of different vaccines, and only once did I have any kind of reaction (fever).

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Most side effects are a result of the immune system reacting fast. Older people tend to have a slower immune response so you might expect fewer minor side effects plus not everyone gets even minor side effects anyway.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Don`t know how old your dad is but I think its quite usual for old people not to feel anything with the mRNA vaccines. All my grandparents got Pfizer or Moderna and they all felt nothing (all well above 80 tho). I guess its mostly because for younger people the immune system just reacts way more agressive while for older people its not that great anymore to begin with (still means the vaccines work so don`t worry). My other favorite explanation is that old people already have a higher pain tolerance because everything is aching anyway. If a 30 year old takes the vaccine and feels trash next morning he`ll obviously say "Well side-effects are kicking in". If an 80 year old feels trash in the morning he be more like "Ah well, feels just like every morning".

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Twitter says AZ. Unclear how long it's been since the second dose.

India has a mutant strain with 2 changes - 1 at a site also mutated in the Brazil/SA strains, and one identical to a mutation seen in California. American news story here: https://deadline.com/2021/04/double...on-india-discovered-in-california-1234727857/
Most of the stories I'm seeing are saying covaxin (that's the Bharat inactivated virus vaccine), but I've now seen both that one and the Covishield (AZ) quoted for different cases.

So the which vaccine element is up in the air until we see an official report I think. On the mutation(s) I guess we'll be hearing a lot more on this story soon. Let's hope the vaccines at least do their job of keeping the cases from becoming serious.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Most of the stories I'm seeing are saying covaxin (that's the Bharat inactivated virus vaccine). Like:
https://science.thewire.in/health/lucknow-40-docs-test-positive-for-covid-after-taking-vaccines/

So the which vaccine element is up in the air until we see an official report I think. On the mutation(s) I guess we'll be hearing a lot more on this story soon.
Hm. I know the Chinese inactivated virus vaccine has also had disappointing results (in Chile). It was surprising to me, because in theory it seems that having a full virus, with all its parts and not just a single protein chain, would be a decent safeguard against a mutation in any one component. I guess a problem could be in the dosage of the virus within the vaccine?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Hm. I know the Chinese inactivated virus vaccine has also had disappointing results (in Chile). It was surprising to me, because in theory it seems that having a full virus, with all its parts and not just a single protein chain, would be a decent safeguard against a mutation in any one component. I guess a problem could be in the dosage of the virus within the vaccine?
I think we need more (official) reports to know which vaccines are involved - the media may not know the real details.

The nature of those 65/75/85% efficacy reports is that some people do catch it. Big enough group and a lot of infections and you might clock up lots of numbers just from that, even before you start looking at mutations. Throw in the issue of when exactly did they catch covid and what were the vaccine dates and maybe there's nothing new happening. Of course, if it is about the mutations then there are going to have to be a lot more trials.

That said, I've seen quite a few reports now where people seemed to get infected more or less on the day or two after the vaccine. I do wonder if it's about the psychology of people "letting their guards down", random bad luck, bad PPE at the vaccine centre, or if people really are a bit more prone to catching covid at that moment.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
In the US, 33.7% of the population has received at least the first dose (20% fully vaccinated). For the population 18 and up, it's 43.2% at least partially vaccinated and 25.6% fully vaccinated. I'm really interested to see when the rate of acceleration in the US slows down.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
In the US, 33.7% of the population has received at least the first dose (20% fully vaccinated). For the population 18 and up, it's 43.2% at least partially vaccinated and 25.6% fully vaccinated. I'm really interested to see when the rate of acceleration in the US slows down.
Seems to still be accelerating in CA. My son was told he'd have to wait months not long ago as he is 22 and healthy but is now getting his first shot on Saturday.

Last edited:

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Seems to still be accelerating in CA. My son was told he'd have to wait months not long ago as he is 22 and healthy but is now getting his first shot on Saturday.
Awesome news! Yeah, Biden telling everyone they have to open it up by May 1 at the latest seems to have spurred states on. Supply increase also means they know they can open up the supply to more people and younger people are often some of the most eager to get it.

Duke decided to do all J&J since students will be leaving at the end of April to go home. That way students should be fully vaccinated by the time they leave. They are probably done with all the students by now since it's been a week.

Last edited by a moderator: