The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

arnie_ni

Do any Germans know how ill fare on a stag next weekend without the booster? Will I get in everywhere?if someone could tag someone for me that'd be great

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Probably going to open a can of worms here but has anyone read up on the Pfizer documents?

Watched this YouTube video earlier (the documents are contained in the description) on vaccine related injuries/deaths and it really did shock me. If I hadn't already been vaccinated I might have not taken it knowing this information and given how mild Omicron is for the majority of people in my age group who get it. I also know this logic is flawed in that others around you who are more susceptible to serious disease from covid benefit from you being vaccinated to reduce the likelihood that you can transmit it to them.

I'd probably have got the vaccine anyway but I do find it quite disgusting how they have redacted the total number of vaccine doses administered for the period which would then allow us to know the probability of suffering an adverse effect.

Last edited:

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Probably going to open a can of worms here but has anyone read up on the Pfizer documents?

Watched this YouTube video earlier (the documents are contained in the description) on vaccine related injuries/deaths and it really did shock me. If I hadn't already been vaccinated I might have not taken it knowing this information and given how mild Omicron is for the majority of people in my age group who get it. I also know this logic is flawed in that others around you who are more susceptible to serious disease from covid benefit from you being vaccinated to reduce the likelihood that you can transmit it to them.

I'd probably have got the vaccine anyway but I do find it quite disgusting how they have redacted the total number of vaccine doses administered for the period which would then allow us to know the probability of suffering an adverse effect.

Am I mental? Why has no one even bothered to respond to this? I accept that many of the results in the papers could be noncebo but the fact that these results have been and continue to be hidden from us is certainly alarming.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Am I mental? Why has no one even bothered to respond to this? I accept that many of the results in the papers could be noncebo but the fact that these results have been and continue to be hidden from us is certainly alarming.
The results haven't been hidden. They haven't been published in that format before and the court have ordered release of individual report forms (which will have to have personal data like name/date of birth redacted) before publication of those "tens of thousands" of pages are produced.

The UK and EMA have been open and prompt with publishing throughout. The FDA less so with national figures, because they are generally slow and seem to have trouble collating data from all their States.

The core data is public domain. To understand what it looks like you need to read something like:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ary-of-yellow-card-reporting#analysis-of-data

The current report is available at:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...group-on-covid-19-vaccine-safety-surveillance

For context, around 23m people in the UK have received (at least) two doses of Pfizer, and around 37m have received it as a booster.

They've had around 150,000 event reports - mostly about "mild flu-like systems" or "injection arm pain" that go after a couple of days - without medical intervention.

Essentially anyone (health professional, person affected, friend etc) can fill in an adverse event report. There's no vetting at that stage to see if the information is accurate, and none at all to see if it relates to the vaccine. You can try making a report now, if you like.
https://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/
It will get added to next week's surveillance report without comment, it will become another data point in the report.

Some side-effects are so common that they put them in the leaflets they hand out at the vaccine sites. In fact, some are so common, that people don't bother reporting them - like the "punched in the arm" sensation that a lot of people get. Lots of reports at clinical trial stage (where you get asked specifically about such things) but now viewed as a running joke on here - certainly not hidden, or not discussed, just not worth avoiding given covid's potential to do worse.

Deaths and events that put people into hospital get analysed more closely. The fact is though - on average about 12,000 people die each week in the UK - many of them suddenly or unexpectedly, when you give 80m doses of vaccines of vaccine to more than 30m people, some of them will inevitably die of non-vaccine related causes within a couple of months of their vaccination. The analysis of whether a death is caused by (or triggered by) the vaccine takes both genuine medical expertise and a fundamental understanding of the statistics.

You can see what the experts think on the pages I've linked to. They do see "signals" in the data and when they do like with myocarditis in young men, they form part of their public briefings. They don't need to hide the data, to suggest that doctors and public health authorities the world over are hiding these things is frankly ridiculous. Billions of doses of Pfizer have now been used - there's no mass media cover-up of deaths, and there's no public health cover-up either.

As to why Campbell has tumbled down this rabbit hole at this stage - you'd have to ask him. I've been talking about adverse reactions and the underlying statistics for over a year now - because the key data had been public domain throughout.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The results haven't been hidden. They haven't been published in that format before and the court have ordered release of individual report forms (which will have to have personal data like name/date of birth redacted) before publication of those "tens of thousands" of pages are produced.

The UK and EMA have been open and prompt with publishing throughout. The FDA less so with national figures, because they are generally slow and seem to have trouble collating data from all their States.

The core data is public domain. To understand what it looks like you need to read something like:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ary-of-yellow-card-reporting#analysis-of-data

The current report is available at:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...group-on-covid-19-vaccine-safety-surveillance

For context, around 23m people in the UK have received (at least) two doses of Pfizer, and around 37m have received it as a booster.

They've had around 150,000 event reports - mostly about "mild flu-like systems" or "injection arm pain" that go after a couple of days - without medical intervention.

Essentially anyone (health professional, person affected, friend etc) can fill in an adverse event report. There's no vetting at that stage to see if the information is accurate, and none at all to see if it relates to the vaccine. You can try making a report now, if you like.
https://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/
It will get added to next week's surveillance report without comment, it will become another data point in the report.

Some side-effects are so common that they put them in the leaflets they hand out at the vaccine sites. In fact, some are so common, that people don't bother reporting them - like the "punched in the arm" sensation that a lot of people get. Lots of reports at clinical trial stage (where you get asked specifically about such things) but now viewed as a running joke on here - certainly not hidden, or not discussed, just not worth avoiding given covid's potential to do worse.

Deaths and events that put people into hospital get analysed more closely. The fact is though - on average about 12,000 people die each week in the UK - many of them suddenly or unexpectedly, when you give 80m doses of vaccines of vaccine to more than 30m people, some of them will inevitably die of non-vaccine related causes within a couple of months of their vaccination. The analysis of whether a death is caused by (or triggered by) the vaccine takes both genuine medical expertise and a fundamental understanding of the statistics.

You can see what the experts think on the pages I've linked to. They do see "signals" in the data and when they do like with myocarditis in young men, they form part of their public briefings. They don't need to hide the data, to suggest that doctors and public health authorities the world over are hiding these things is frankly ridiculous. Billions of doses of Pfizer have now been used - there's no mass media cover-up of deaths, and there's no public health cover-up either.

As to why Campbell has tumbled down this rabbit hole at this stage - you'd have to ask him. I've been talking about adverse reactions and the underlying statistics for over a year now - because the key data had been public domain throughout.
He’s been an interesting case study in what happens to people that get a bit of fame/following online. They invariably end up going down a clickbaity rabbit hole, because that’s how they get the most interactions. First invermectin, now this nonsense. It’s a shame because he was clearly very well intentioned at the beginning.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Cheers @jojojo and @Pogue Mahone for your really helpful responses. Your posts in both the covid and the vaccine threads have been fantastic over the last 2 years and I really appreciate the time you've taken to answer questions, provide excellent commentary and share info.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Global manufacturing let most of the global population down when it came to covid. When it came right down to it, for all the political pledges made, the countries who had the bulk of the manufacturing capacity took almost all the first year of production for their own use.

I'm dubious about our ability to learn to be more altruistic during a pandemic, but I'm hopeful we can learn about the value of local production, and get new facilities in place. With that in mind, I really hope these miniaturised mRNA factories are as slick as they sound.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
He’s been an interesting case study in what happens to people that get a bit of fame/following online. They invariably end up going down a clickbaity rabbit hole, because that’s how they get the most interactions. First invermectin, now this nonsense. It’s a shame because he was clearly very well intentioned at the beginning.
He was great early on but seemed to lose the plot after a while.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-61104594

A new Covid vaccine has been approved for use in the UK by regulators.

It is manufactured by Valneva, using more traditional technology - similar to how polio and flu shots are made.

It contains a whole copy of the virus which has been inactivated, so that it can't cause the disease but does teach the body how to fight it.

The UK was due to receive 100 million doses of the jab, but the government cancelled the deal in September due to a "breach of obligations".

The French company strenuously denied the government's accusation.

Dr June Raine, chief executive of the UK's Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency, said the approval followed "a rigorous review of the safety, quality and effectiveness of this vaccine".

As with the AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines, it is designed to be given as two doses.
Professor Sir Munir Pirmohamed, from the Commission on Human Medicines - which led the review - said: "We have advised that the benefit risk balance is positive. The vaccine is approved for use in people aged 18 to 50 years, with the first and second doses to be taken at least 28 days apart."

The jab developed by Valneva, which has a factory in Livingston near Edinburgh, is the sixth Covid-19 vaccine to be granted an MHRA authorisation.
In trials, blood results from volunteers who received the jab had high levels of neutralising antibodies against the pandemic virus.

It outperformed the AstraZeneca vaccine on this measure in head-to-head tests.
Experts say it is possible that by using the whole virus - rather than just the spike protein - the vaccine may be more useful against future emerging variants of Covid.
Wonder if the "it was developed too quickly, I'll take it once it's been tested" crowd would be happy to take this or if they'll have to spin the wheel of excuses again.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Still think the weirdest lot are those that have taken two but won't do the third, like why?

decorativeed

I just dont get it, its like now the media hype has gone down they dont see the need? Why not just have it so you're less likely to catch it?
I think some people are against it because we were all initially told it was a two jab course. And once we'd had the two, they said, well actually, you need three. And possibly one every 6 months from here on in.

I say this as someone who dreaded getting one jab, as I've a long-standing phobia, but did get all three. Because ultimately, I'd rather have a moment's irrational panic than spend a few weeks in hospital and/or die. Whether I'll get another, I'm yet to decide. I'll see what the consensus is on whether it's beneficial or not, which is where I differ from these stubborn bastards.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
I just dont get it, its like now the media hype has gone down they dont see the need? Why not just have it so you're less likely to catch it?
Among some people in my life who fit into the category of having two but not three, a common theme seems to be that they (all young people 20-35) only got jabbed because ‘they’ said it would just be two at first and the lockdowns etc would be over and were put off that the goalposts were perceived to be moved, and so that they could go on holidays. They have/had good enough faith in the vaccine to get it without much question or hesitation but probably weren’t all that concerned about catching Covid in the first place and still aren’t.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Still think the weirdest lot are those that have taken two but won't do the third, like why?
Our hospitals are empty for almost six months now, so I am really not sure why would I take it?

I mean, this is coming from someone who went to another country to get the first two doses, considering the availability in my country for younger population wasn't great.

Also I am pretty sure we had articles here few months ago that the third dose wasn't effective against omicron to begin with anyway? Amd we have new variant now, right?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Boosters have been very important in keeping hospitalisations and deaths down. You can more or less guess the vaccination level (across all ages) and booster uptake in a country just by looking at the hospitalisation/death stats.

The vaccine (even boosted) gives only limited protection in terms of infection, though it still reduces the number and duration of infections. The impact of two doses in terms of severe illness is big, but the booster dose improves things massively.

The tricky thing in terms of calculating how good the vaccines now are is that most people (in the countries who report) have had the vaccine, or they have had covid, or they have had both. Broadly, it looks like one infection is the equivalent of one jab in terms of protection. If you've had neither then you're either living in China, very lucky (and may have had prior exposure to a previous similar coronavirus) or you are in danger if you get it.

Incidentally Omega cases (and hospitalisations and deaths) fell in most of Western Europe then rose again as Omega BA2 arrived. The US has just started to see the BA2 cases rising.

lynchie

So @lynchie what's your status now?

Just the trial vaccines, or have you had (some sort of) a booster as well?
2 valneva + 2 Pfizer, so supervaxxed.

On the thing about the anti-vaxxers, I'm interested to see the reaction because there's been a lot calling specifically for Valneva because of its "traditional" credentials. Fully expect a new excuse to appear now.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Are there any updates on the Omikron specific vaccines or is it kinda deemed a lost cause given how quickly we get new variants and how most countries go herd immunity anyway?

Also, are there any studies on how long one has immunity after being infected with BA.1/2/5? I had it 3 weeks ago (after being triple vaxxed) and my flatmate just tested positive today. I assume, I can be "relatively" relaxed around him in the flat (he's wearing a mask)?

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Are there any updates on the Omikron specific vaccines or is it kinda deemed a lost cause given how quickly we get new variants and how most countries go herd immunity anyway?

Also, are there any studies on how long one has immunity after being infected with BA.1/2/5? I had it 3 weeks ago (after being triple vaxxed) and my flatmate just tested positive today. I assume, I can be "relatively" relaxed around him in the flat (he's wearing a mask)?
You can translate if you want but this lady had it 4 times in 9 months

https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/editienl/a...tingen-corona-herbesmetting-vier-keer-sanquin

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

We've had the first trial results for Moderna and Pfizer boosters tweaked to work on Omicron. They're looking good enough that the autumn booster programs will probably use them.

Whether you'll be recommended to get an autumn booster will probably depends on your age and where you live. In the UK it's likely to be advised for people 65+ or in one of the risk groups. That may drop to 50+ as the numbers get reviewed over the summer.

Most current infections are not reinfections - despite most (maybe 90%+) people in the UK having had it before. Not many people are getting Omicron twice, and the strain of Omicron that was circulating three weeks ago is similar to the present one. In others words - no guarantees, but the odds of catching it again this fast are low. Do you feel (un)lucky?

RedDevil@84

We had 2 pfizer vaccines in Apr'2021 and then a booster in Dec'2021. We went on our first long trip in years, last month and returned home with symptoms of cold. Tested positive for Covid. I had slight chills on one day, blocked nose for few days, lost partial sense of smell for one day or so. No big problems.

I had mixed advices from the doctors on the booster. My doctor mentioned that another booster in 6 months will be better. My wife's doctor was like you don't need to take any booster shots for next 12-18 months.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
A 4th shot for over 30's is now allowed here in AU from Monday. I'm booked in for Monday. No harm having active antibodies.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
This is going to be interesting. The concept of mRNA vaccines has been around for decades and a reality in the pet vaccine world for years prior to COVID. I guess it comes down to how Moderna's patents are written.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Coming into Fuerteventura they were asking if we’d had our vaccinations. Yes had all 3. But the last one was ages ago. Surely they’d be useless now?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Coming into Fuerteventura they were asking if we’d had our vaccinations. Yes had all 3. But the last one was ages ago. Surely they’d be useless now?
In terms of protection from serious illness - those old jabs still help you. In terms of infection control they're pretty much irrelevant. There's no real justification now for using them or any other kind of vaccine mandate as a border control.

There's a kind of second order effect that they might have a marginal effect on the number of tourists requiring hospital admission - but that's it. If we applied that concept across the board they'd have to check for all the other things that might make you show up at hospital - from pre-existing medical conditions to drinking too much on holiday to a willingness to eat undercooked chicken to a desire to go surfing despite a lack of skill.