The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Skills

Snitch
Am I right in thinking, that if the most vulnerable in your society are protected (i.e. have the antibodies against a disease), a small level of community transmission among the rest of the population keeps the antibody levels of those already protected quite high? Almost like a booster when they come across the virus again

I think I got this from chicken pox - I believe kids having chicken pox is quite good for adults around them, as the exposure to the virus keeps their own antibody levels topped up?

Someone more qualified should comment to shut me down if I'm talking crap

Classical Mechanic

The 40 and over group got national rollout approval on the 30th April, so not that long ago really. It just feels like a long time when you're waiting. Especially as Wales and some regions of England are calling under 40s already.

It's really all about making sure there's enough Pfizer/Moderna for the under 40s, even if there's a supply blip. It looks like they do have that stock now. That's also a change in the rollout pattern because AZ was the "easy" vaccine that came out of the fridge and with a reasonable shelf life. Pfizer needs a different setup at the vaccine centre and they're much more sensitive about not having leftover doses at the end of each day (as they may have to throw them away)

The 35+ national message will probably go out within a week. 30+ by end of May. 18+ in June/July depending on supplies.
You're right, it's like watching the clock!

Just seen 35+ is due for vaccines in the UK in the coming week or so. Unfortunately I’m not 35 for 2 months :(
You might sneak in because the 40s call up was for people aged 40 or over or people that will be 40 before the 1st July 2021.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/who-can-get-the-vaccine/

hmchan

Am I right in thinking, that if the most vulnerable in your society are protected (i.e. have the antibodies against a disease), a small level of community transmission among the rest of the population keeps the antibody levels of those already protected quite high? Almost like a booster when they come across the virus again

I think I got this from chicken pox - I believe kids having chicken pox is quite good for adults around them, as the exposure to the virus keeps their own antibody levels topped up?

Someone more qualified should comment to shut me down if I'm talking crap
The concept isn't entirely wrong, but it's not a "good" thing to maintain your antibody level with a live, pathogenic virus. Although many vaccines are effective in preventing serious cases, disease may still occur and I wouldn't call this a "good" thing to the recipient or the society. Plus, you can't really control the level of community transmission as you want.

Here's an article on chickenpox (varicella-zoster virus) and you can see 21% of vaccinees develop breakthrough chickenpox after household exposure. Although mild, some of them require treatment and it's not ideal.
https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/34/6/774/385286

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Finally got my first dose yesterday, Moderna. Canada is fecking slow with this. Haven't worked from home since this all started yet wasn't eligible until now.

Guess I'll add:
Male, 27: Had it at noon yesterday. Slightly sore arm yesterday. Today more along what you'd expect, nagging headache, sore arm, like a moderate hangover.

Adamsk7

I just booked mine on the NHS site even though it apparently doesn’t start until tomorrow (I’m 38) . Got it booked for next Friday.

Classical Mechanic

When did you become Mr Positive Motivational Speaker? :D
Try to book one on the NHS website. After reading @Adamsk7 I just went through the website and I can get one booked as early as tomorrow if I go to the Etihad Campus! Think I'll wait until next week as I don't want to be feeling crap on Friday or Saturday due to things going on.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

Because protecting your health and others around you isn't enough incentive for a sizable portion of Americans, Ohio's governor is offering $1m drawings as an incentive. Each week for five weeks, they'll draw the name of someone who's been vaccinated to receive $1m.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I just booked mine on the NHS site even though it apparently doesn’t start until tomorrow (I’m 38) . Got it booked for next Friday.
I keep trying and it always says I'm not eligible yet (31) :lol: Keep thinking maybe one day it'll accidentally let me.

Tony Babangida

Because protecting your health and others around you isn't enough incentive for a sizable portion of Americans, Ohio's governor is offering $1m drawings as an incentive. Each week for five weeks, they'll draw the name of someone who's been vaccinated to receive $1m.
I actually think this is a great idea. I wish there were more of a celebratory emphasis on the vaccine rollout in Aus, have music at the vaccination centres, do it at the MCG. I haven’t seen any advertisements about vaccination here either. Most of the over 50s I’ve spoken to haven’t booked even though they’re eligible.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I actually think this is a great idea. I wish there were more of a celebratory emphasis on the vaccine rollout in Aus, have music at the vaccination centres, do it at the MCG. I haven’t seen any advertisements about vaccination here either. Most of the over 50s I’ve spoken to haven’t booked even though they’re eligible.
It is a great idea, but it's kinda depressing that it could work. I'm hoping my governor does something similar since vaccination hesitance is slowing down vaccination in NC. Even if it were lower amounts like $100k, $250k, or $500k, I think having more winners could make it more enticing for people. I've previously thought about broader financial incentives like payments for people who get vaccinated, but I don't know that the amounts ($100 or so) would be enough incentive. If 80% of North Carolinians were vaccinated, it would cost about $3.5bn to give them all $100.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
It is a great idea, but it's kinda depressing that it could work. I'm hoping my governor does something similar since vaccination hesitance is slowing down vaccination in NC. Even if it were lower amounts like $100k, $250k, or $500k, I think having more winners could make it more enticing for people. I've previously thought about broader financial incentives like payments for people who get vaccinated, but I don't know that the amounts ($100 or so) would be enough incentive. If 80% of North Carolinians were vaccinated, it would cost about $3.5bn to give them all $100.
A classic case of the end justifying the means.

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
Had my first AZ jab on Saturday. Apart from a sore arm for a few days. On Sunday everything felt really slow, I walked down the road at my normal brisk pace, and had to slow down. All good on Monday though. The wife felt rough for about 24 hours too.

All in all its been absolutely fine

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Folks who are getting the AstraZeneca vaccine, what’s the time between doses for you?
My mum is 12 weeks and a few days this coming Sunday (due to Ramadan and Eid). I will have my second dose between 11-12 weeks when it's that time.

evil_geko

24 hours after second Pfizer dose, other than sore arm that is much less sore than after the first jab, everything else is peachy.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.

I've not seen similar notifications for Bolton and other affected areas, but I'm guessing we may see them soon.
They'll have to get these done pretty quickly. This variant could spread like wildfire in all the unvaccinated under 40s if social distancing measures are eased further.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I had my first jab (AZ) yesterday at 2 pm. The jab itself was almost painless, which really surprised me.

I started to feel quite unwell yesterday evening with a cracking headache and general lethargy. By 10PM I was shivering like a son of a bitch and aching all over.

I felt dreadful this morning but a couple of paracetamol took the edge off of it massively. I feel a lot better now.

24 hours of mild flu symptoms is worth it for the protection it gives you.
Get well soon sweetheart

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I've not seen the detail numbers on Blackburn, but I know that for Bolton the high case rate areas correspond to the lowest vaccinated % areas. The cases are concentrated in the under 30s there currently, so there's still hope that we might block it before it starts killing people.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
They'll have to get these done pretty quickly. This variant could spread like wildfire in all the unvaccinated under 40s if social distancing measures are eased further.
B117 is well capable of spreading like wildfire as it is. I don’t think anyone has yet confirmed that this is significantly more transmissible?

I’m assuming it’s about as infectious as the UK variant with added vaccine resistance. I’m also (optimistically) assuming the vaccine resistance is about the same or less than what we’ve seen with Brazil/SA variants (i.e. vaccines still very effective against serious illness)

evil_geko

Having one beer during the tonight's game, day after a jab shouldn't interfere much with the immunity building? I know it is recommended not to consume alcohol around three days before and after, but one beer shouldn't matter much I would think.

zing

Zingle balls
Having one beer during the tonight's game, day after a jab shouldn't interfere much with the immunity building? I know it is recommended not to consume alcohol around three days before and after, but one beer shouldn't matter much I would think.
It's a vaccine - you're going to get it 2-3 times in your life against a disease that's killing millions. Why would you not put off the beer?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

lynchie

Some initial data on effects of mixing vaccines (AZ and Pfizer). Seems like you're more likely to feel like crap if you mix and match.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Out of interest, when are people considered fully vaccinated in other countries? So they can travel etc with a status as being a vaccinated person?

In Ireland they’re going to insist that you have to have had both doses. Which is going to make AZ even more unpopular than it is already. 6 weeks wait vs 12 weeks.

lynchie

I've not seen similar notifications for Bolton and other affected areas, but I'm guessing we may see them soon.
Apparently this is the Blackburn PH team going rogue. All power to them imo - will be interesting to see how it works out.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Booked in early next week at City. Wonder if I'll get the Pfizer or Moderna with me being under 40 and in the lowest exposure category.
My wife is under 40 and she booked hers today via the website. It doesn’t give any option for which vaccine you want. I can see a lot of under 40’s cancelling their appointments if they go along and it’s AZ.
You would think that it would be relatively simple to implement online as well.

Classical Mechanic

My wife is under 40 and she booked hers today via the website. It doesn’t give any option for which vaccine you want. I can see a lot of under 40’s cancelling their appointments if they go along and it’s AZ.
You would think that it would be relatively simple to implement online as well.
I know they've been administering the Pfizer vaccine at the Etihad Campus so you'd hope they'd just go off your DOB. Although what I read is that you'll be offered the alternative 'where possible' so it seems contingent on stock. I won't refuse the AZ but after reading the public health advice that I'm more at risk of blood clots from the AZ vaccine than I am from being hospitalised by Covid then I'd prefer one of the others if possible.