The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Out of interest, when are people considered fully vaccinated in other countries? So they can travel etc with a status as being a vaccinated person?

In Ireland they’re going to insist that you have to have had both doses. Which is going to make AZ even more unpopular than it is already. 6 weeks wait vs 12 weeks.
In the US, it's two weeks after your second dose of Pfizer/Moderna, and I think it's 28 days after J&J. The intervals here for Pfizer and Moderna are 3 and 4 weeks respectively.

iKnowNothing

I won't refuse the AZ but after reading the public health advice that I'm more at risk of blood clots from the AZ vaccine than I am from being hospitalised by Covid then I'd prefer one of the others if possible.
Are the odd with AZ vaccine really that bad though? And do you know how soon after taking the AZ vaccine are folks getting these blood clots? Is it the day of getting the vaccine or a week or a month or a year later?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Apparently this is the Blackburn PH team going rogue. All power to them imo - will be interesting to see how it works out.
Good on them. I hope the national leadership will make the same choice. They've been stockpiling first doses - now would be a great moment to unlock the stockroom before hotspots turn back into hot regions again.

zing

Zingle balls
Are the odd with AZ vaccine really that bad though? And do you know how soon after taking the AZ vaccine are folks getting these blood clots? Is it the day of getting the vaccine or a week or a month or a year later?
4-20 days post vaccination is the reported cases of blood clots till now, I think.

evil_geko

My wife is under 40 and she booked hers today via the website. It doesn’t give any option for which vaccine you want. I can see a lot of under 40’s cancelling their appointments if they go along and it’s AZ.
You would think that it would be relatively simple to implement online as well.
Yeah, when I was applying online, there was choice of five vaccines to pick, Pfizer, Sputnik V, Sinopharm, AstraZeneka and Moderna.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I didn't get a choice and as said last week, I found the whole booking process to be rather amateur all in all.

I had the AZ jab yesterday and today feel like shit. Worst thing is, my power hasn't come in yet :(

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Cool graph showing vaccine roll-out in Ireland.

Basically 90%+ uptake amongst all the groups who’ve had the chance to have a vaccine so far. Be interesting to see if and how far it drops away as we reach the younger cohorts. Considering the average age of Facebook regulars these days it’s great to see anti-vaxxers failing so spectacularly to frighten away the silver surfers.

Classical Mechanic

The odds of blood clots are remote in the extreme for most people. This is the graphic posted in the thread earlier

Its only if I’m offered a choice I’ll take a jab other than the AZ. I have no qualms about having the AZ.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
What about AZ? That’s getting used in the US now, isn’t it?
AZ hasn't been authorized here. That's why all the doses that have been made have been or will be sent elsewhere. I suspect it won't get emergency use authorization. Even if it does, the other manufacturers should be contracted to make enough of the other three. Once Pfizer gets final approval, which it applied for a last week, there won't be any new emergency use authorizations for COVID vaccines. It'll take months for that to happen though.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
One of those moments when you wonder about tactics v strategy. The areas with the greatest case concentrations are all running at well below national averages for first doses. Less than 50% of the adult population v 68% on average in England.

Meanwhile in Wales, they're now at 78% of the adult population

Rajma

Cool graph showing vaccine roll-out in Ireland.

Basically 90%+ uptake amongst all the groups who’ve had the chance to have a vaccine so far. Be interesting to see if and how far it drops away as we reach the younger cohorts. Considering the average age of Facebook regulars these days it’s great to see anti-vaxxers failing so spectacularly to frighten away the silver surfers.
That’s incredible stat, in Lithuania we’ve only hit 68% for most vulnerable age groups, and seems like ~70-75% is going to be a cap as many are refusing by being talk out by the kids etc. who are antivaxxers themselves.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
One of those moments when you wonder about tactics v strategy. The areas with the greatest case concentrations are all running at well below national averages for first doses. Less than 50% of the adult population v 68% on average in England.
Ah right, so Blackburn would have been able to give 18+ people the vaccines not taken up by the over 50s? Sounds fair. And necessary if one goal is to achieve herd immunity.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Ah right, so Blackburn would have been able to give 18+ people the vaccines not taken up by the over 50s? Sounds fair. And necessary if one goal is to achieve herd immunity.
There's another layer to that as well. NHS England have been stockpiling Pfizer, ready for the under 40s. Wales have used their Pfizer stockpile to vaccinate under 40s even while the over 40 (mostly AZ) rollout is continuing.

Blackburn is basically asking to be allowed to use their Pfizer stockpile early (like Wales) and do everyone at the same time. Though as you say, they may still have ended up not using as many vaccines as other areas of the country.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
There's another layer to that as well. NHS England have been stockpiling Pfizer, ready for the under 40s. Wales have used their Pfizer stockpile to vaccinate under 40s even while the over 40 (mostly AZ) rollout is continuing.

Blackburn is basically asking to be allowed to use their Pfizer stockpile early (like Wales) and do everyone at the same time. Though as you say, they may still have ended up not using as many vaccines as other areas of the country.
Infections do seem to be on the rise again in Lancashire. There's talk of keeping restrictions here even if they're lifted elsewhere in June. That wouldn't go down well now, expectations have been lifted already.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Just to put a bit of meat on the Bolton cases and how fast the numbers are rising.
Not the levels we saw back in January (when that case rate went over 400) but quite a leap.

Bolton's neighbours are Bury and Salford.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Australia finally decided that ordering some Moderna is a good idea if 12 months too late.

10 million doses late in the year and 15 million more of the new variant version in 2022.

Last edited:

Lj82

Just had my second moderna jab. Had sore arm for two days after my first dose. Let's see how it is this time.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Got the text message. Vaccine on Saturday afternoon a few hours before the FA Cup final. Can't wait!

Traub

Australia finally decided that ordering some Moderna is a good idea if 12 months too late.

10 million doses late in the year and 15 million more of the new variant version in 2022.
Any idea in terms of prioritization? I have family in Aus - the dentist in the fam has received both doses of his AZ, but no-one else has received their vaccine.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Any idea in terms of prioritization? I have family in Aus - the dentist in the fam has received both doses of his AZ, but no-one else has received their vaccine.
In most states AZ is now freely available for the over 50's but we have very limited supply of Pfizer for younger people.

F-Red

That's reassuring. Now the most vulnerable and old are vaccinated nationally would it not make sense to direct vaccine supplies to the areas with most infections?
You'll still have the window where efficacy takes 2-3 weeks to kick in, so rapid vaccination won't contain an outbreak of cases but it'll definitely have some impact. I think generally a speed up of the first jabs country wide needs to happen, as we'll see more cases spread but the offset of that is that the most vulnerable are now protected so it's difficult to see the current approach from PHE changing dramatically.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
You'll still have the window where efficacy takes 2-3 weeks to kick in, so rapid vaccination won't contain an outbreak of cases but it'll definitely have some impact. I think generally a speed up of the first jabs country wide needs to happen, as we'll see more cases spread but the offset of that is that the most vulnerable are now protected so it's difficult to see the current approach from PHE changing dramatically.
I think this is a test case for allowing local fast response to problems. The case numbers jumped rapidly in certain postcodes, going from around 20/day across the whole of Bolton on the 20th April to 40/day by the beginning of May, to over 100 day by the 9th - almost all concentrated in certain postcodes. The local health authority reacted at the start of May, but not with vaccines for the under 40s. The cases so far have been mostly in the under 40s.

Combine that with low vaccine uptake in those same postcodes, the ability to quickly allocate supplies to the area could have given us a way to slow the growth with basic protection starting to kick in around now. Whole families getting vaccines at the same time might help break the poor takeup issue etc, a no-booking system using local facilities might help. That's being wise after the event in Bolton's case, but that's no reason not to start now - in those postcodes and beyond, particularly those where takeup so far has been weak. Local response should have more tools than just putting up signs asking people to wear masks in shops and some more LFTs.

It's just irritating hearing the clamour to put Bolton (or indeed the whole of Manchester) back into lockdown at the same time as the local health services are waiting for permission to act and Boris is announcing hugs and no masks in schools.

F-Red

It's just irritating hearing the clamour to put Bolton (or indeed the whole of Manchester) back into lockdown at the same time as the local health services are waiting for permission to act and Boris is announcing hugs and no masks in schools.
Agreed. In reality though, an isolated lockdown just simply won't work. People will travel out of the area for work or leisure, and the spread of this variant is inevitable now. It's just how quickly they can roll out first jabs, the reason why I say country wide is that spread is happening across the North West of that variant, and it'll appear in other areas soon.

The roll out was confident that most people would have a first jab by June 10 and that is less than 4 weeks away, so pulling that forward is probably the best approach but it doesn't seem like a million miles away. Hospital admissions is still falling, and that will be the important metric over the next 7-14 days.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
This is all caused by selfish fecks travelling to India and not isolating.

F-Red

Wait. That is possible? You mean the quarantine is self regulated?
Possibly, there are some countries where you have to isolate and pay to stay in a hotel. Wouldn't surprise me if some have come via Turkey as reported here 10 days ago, and then not self isolated at home.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Wait. That is possible? You mean the quarantine is self regulated?
For India it was self-regulated "at home" quarantine until the 23rd April. In itself that's enough to explain the case rise timelines. Immediately before that we had schools on their Easter Holidays. So even if you don't look at people dodging the quarantine rules, it's easy to see how clusters can form.

The home quarantine rules only talk about the traveller isolating. Other people don't need to unless someone develops symptoms or tests positive. Household transmission probably kicked this off and then it moved out through schools, colleges etc.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Got my first Pfizer jab today.

Ended up legging it to the train station shortly after carrying a box of beer and with a five guys double cheeseburger in my belly. Hard to tell what was making me feel a bit off but I'll give the vaccine the benefit of the doubt in this instance due to those mitigating factors.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I wonder if this variant does turn out to be far more transmissible if they’ll put AZ back on the menu for under 40s. The only way to combat variants is vaccinations and I don’t think we have enough Pfizer stock if second doses are being moved forward too. Assuming the vaccines are still effective which the evidence I’ve seen suggests they are.