The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Stoner dude is my answer :lol:

How’d you manage that? I got mine in two weeks and had my first mid June.
One of the lads in work for his first 3 days better me for his text yesterday for next Wednesday, I got mine today for next Thursday not Friday,. I'm in Ireland so we must be just banging them out it's the Pfizer one

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The PHE surveillance reports are out:
https://www.gov.uk/government/stati...d-19-surveillance-reports-2021-to-2022-season
Those are the ones that give breakdowns on what's happening around the country/age groups in terms of infections etc.

There's also a new edition of the vaccine report:

Includes the latest stats on efficacy against Delta and the calculations on lives saved* by the vaccines in England.

*Which might not be a totally fair calculation, because of course if the vaccines weren't doing their thing of reducing hospitalisations and deaths, we might be in another lockdown instead.

zing

Zingle balls
Had my second dose of the AZ vaccine. Feel off - feverish - 36 hours later -- is that too long a gap for a side effect to be attributable to the vaccine?

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I had my second more than two weeks ago and I am glad I did.
We have been in Italy for the past 3 days going to our next holiday location in Austria today and I would be worried if I weren’t vaccinated. Masses of people and nobody really cares. In Austria the situation is that most adults who wanted should have been able to get at least their first dose.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Had my second dose of the AZ vaccine. Feel off - feverish - 36 hours later -- is that too long a gap for a side effect to be attributable to the vaccine?
Nah don’t worry, I felt awful between 12-24 hours after the jab and then still not 100% right for a couple of days after

Traub

The PHE surveillance reports are out:
https://www.gov.uk/government/stati...d-19-surveillance-reports-2021-to-2022-season
Those are the ones that give breakdowns on what's happening around the country/age groups in terms of infections etc.

There's also a new edition of the vaccine report:

Includes the latest stats on efficacy against Delta and the calculations on lives saved* by the vaccines in England.

*Which might not be a totally fair calculation, because of course if the vaccines weren't doing their thing of reducing hospitalisations and deaths, we might be in another lockdown instead.
I don't think this accounts for second order effects e.g. people now screening for cancer, heart conditions etc.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
:lol: :lol:
First time I've heard that one, at the moment they seem to think the human immune system can beat everything.

getting my second jab Friday week, it seems a bit quick, it'll only be 2 weeks and 5 days since the first.
That’s pretty close. Any closer and I wouldn’t want it as travel destinations insist on having a certain time between shots, depending on what you have. The longest I’ve seen so far is 14 days

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Second jab next Weds for me. Can't wait to have full protection, I've still not quite relaxed yet.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Second jabbed this evening.

If the first shot was anything to go by looking forward to the dead arm and feeling like complete shit tomorrow.

Once that passes I'm away on a tour of every public bathroom in a 50 mile radius I had planned pre covid but had to postpone for obvious reasons.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I got the Janssen vaccine, but I'm reading in some places it's the least effective against the new variants. For those following this closer than me, what are the chances of me being required to get another shot in the near future?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Had the second Pfizer jab today. I assume my super powers will evolve in the next few hours?
Second jabbed this evening.

If the first shot was anything to go by looking forward to the dead arm and feeling like complete shit tomorrow.

Once that passes I'm away on a tour of every public bathroom in a 50 mile radius I had planned pre covid but had to postpone for obvious reasons.
Ok, I'll ask. Why?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Had the second Pfizer jab today. I assume my super powers will evolve in the next few hours?

Ok, I'll ask. Why?
I had mine yesterday at 4pm, bit of a sore arm and a bit more tired than usual last night but no other side effects.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I had mine yesterday at 4pm, bit of a sore arm and a bit more tired than usual last night but no other side effects.
Did you have any problems after the first? Everyone around me kept going on about how ill they felt and I was just standing there being my usual badass self.

I started to think I was feeling a bit wonky a few minutes ago but realised it was probably due to spending ten minutes trying to lure one of the cats out from under the floorboards in our spare room. The daft tit.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Did you have any problems after the first? Everyone around me kept going on about how ill they felt and I was just standing there being my usual badass self.

I started to think I was feeling a bit wonky a few minutes ago but realised it was probably due to spending ten minutes trying to lure one of the cats out from under the floorboards in our spare room. The daft tit.
:lol:

Nothing adverse, just a bit of tiredness really but it was quite pleasant .

Eyepopper

Coming up on 24 hours now since my second shot and the same side effects I experienced after the first one are coming on strong..

Dead arm (to be expected) an extreme exhaustion, feel like I've been on a 3 day bender, no energie for anything, like a junkie nodding out.

Only lasted a day last time so hopefully it'll be the same again.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Coming up on 24 hours now since my second shot and the same side effects I experienced after the first one are coming on strong..

Dead arm (to be expected) an extreme exhaustion, feel like I've been on a 3 day bender, no energie for anything, like a junkie nodding out.

Only lasted a day last time so hopefully it'll be the same again.
I had the exact same side effects, dead arm lasted a few days, exhaustion only a day or 2.

Eyepopper

I had the exact same side effects, dead arm lasted a few days, exhaustion only a day or 2.
And like 9 hours later I'm 70% fine again, arms still a bit sore and still a bit tired, but its 12.26 and I'm still awake.

This afternoon was a rough few hours, same as on the first dose, but hoping to be fine by morning.

Thank feck, because when I'd had side effects after the first shot I was expecting them to be much worse after the second, for now it just looks like a repeat performance.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
PHE have updated their hospital stats today. Which means some new charts have appeared:

And

Summarizing: the unvaxxed over 50s are 12x more likely to be hospitalised with covid than the double vaxxed.
For the under 50s, the unvaxxed are 10x more likely to be hospitalised.

Just to add a rider to the under 50 numbers. The first of the under 50s to be fully vaccinated were generally in high risk jobs (hospital and care workers for example) or people with health problems. In other words, the stats are even better than they look, and the vaccines are important to the healthy under 50s as well as the ones who know they have health issues :smirk:
In Australia's outbreak nobody has been hospitalised who has been fully vaccinated so far.

In the recent Victoria outbreak only 5% of those infected had been fully vaccinated (and some of those may not have been fully vaccinated long enough for full immunity to be reached) and none were hospitalised with most being asymptomatic. Not a big data set but encouraging.

Last edited:

sugar_kane

The message needs to change simply to "the vaccine is working", and despite all the shit the UK is getting because of our awful leaders / Brexit, etc. we are currently the country which offers the best proof of it's effectiveness.

Based on the last wave we should be averaging about 1,000 deaths a day based on case rates 2 weeks ago but we're at 7% of that. I'm sure some of that will be related to the time of year (comparing July vs. Jan) but it's still great news.

The media and scientists need to simplify the message on the vaccine's effectiveness - 10 part detailed Twitter threads with graphs etc. are interesting to those with the patience to read them, but simple soundbites are what are needed to communicate more widely.

I'm hoping the government's message will soon become a bit more clear on the vaccine's effectiveness to encourage people to get it - they seem to still not want to take any chances at the moment and make any bold statements.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
The message needs to change simply to "the vaccine is working", and despite all the shit the UK is getting because of our awful leaders / Brexit, etc. we are currently the country which offers the best proof of it's effectiveness.

Based on the last wave we should be averaging about 1,000 deaths a day based on case rates 2 weeks ago but we're at 7% of that. I'm sure some of that will be related to the time of year (comparing July vs. Jan) but it's still great news.

The media and scientists need to simplify the message on the vaccine's effectiveness - 10 part detailed Twitter threads with graphs etc. are interesting to those with the patience to read them, but simple soundbites are what are needed to communicate more widely.

I'm hoping the government's message will soon become a bit more clear on the vaccine's effectiveness to encourage people to get it - they seem to still not want to take any chances at the moment and make any bold statements.
It's a tough one - because you're fighting fear and emotion and sometimes deliberate lies with numbers. For people comfortable with numbers the idea that (in the UK) most people hospitalised are vaccinated is straightforward (almost everyone in the risk groups are vaccinated, vaccines aren't 100% perfect). If you're not then the headlines are scary. Sometimes the mass media don't help because they deliberately go for the clickbait headline rather than the real story, even when the article behind the headline is fair. Which means people comfortable with numbers end up looking for dozens of different ways to explain how good the vaccine news is.

If people are willing to trust actual experts rather than some nutritional supplement seller on Facebook, the numbers are simple. If you're over 50 you're 12x as likely to end up in hospital if you're unvaccinated. If you're under 50 you're at least 10x as likely to end up in hospital if you're unvaccinated - despite the fact that most "at risk" under 50s were vaccinated months ago.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
One for the people who like reading numbers :smirk: A report on ICU usage since 1st May. More or less all the cases will be Delta variant.

First thing is that on average the ICU cases are younger. The ethnicity stats reflect the pattern for vaccine take-up seen in vaccination reports.

Next one shows some information on the patients themselves and includes the worrying picture that pregnant women are taking up a larger proportion of ICU beds than in previous waves (compared to other women of childbearing age).

Taken from:

Base data at:
https://www.icnarc.org/Our-Audit/Audits/Cmp/Reports

Traub

I got the Janssen vaccine, but I'm reading in some places it's the least effective against the new variants. For those following this closer than me, what are the chances of me being required to get another shot in the near future?
Where you reading this?

I’ve had the same vaccine. We will likely require a booster at some point, but it should give us enough protection for now. It’s been rolled out to healthcare workers in South Africa, and the data is encouraging. Based on everything I’ve read and heard, we’re more likely to get Covid than our Pfizer overlords, but it will most likely be mild.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Who’d have thought, a pigeon trying to get a cat

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Pfizer and Moderna ramp up EU Covid vaccine prices

Pfizer raised the price of its Covid-19 vaccine by more than a quarter and Moderna by more than a tenth in the latest EU supply contracts as Europe battled supply disruptions and concerns about side effects from rival products.
The groups are set to generate tens of billions of dollars in revenue this year as they sign new deals with countries anxious to secure supplies for potential booster shots in the face of the spread of the highly infectious Delta variant.
https://www.ft.com/content/d415a01e-d065-44a9-bad4-f9235aa04c1a

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I should mention that I didn't feel any side effects from both doses of Pfizer. Just a bit of a sore left arm, where I was given the injection, but I was back to playing table tennis the day after getting the dose (could've played the same day but doctor advised against it).

Bosws87

Had the second one today, seems the same as last time no real side effects just a dead arm.

Skills

Snitch
i was reading (either here or reddit) that the blood clots associated with the AZ vaccine are overwhelmingly after the first dose rather than the 2nd - so the question is, does that make the AZ vaccine a very good booster candidate for everyone?

Also, do we know if there's been much progress in the development of variant specific vaccines?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Anyone had kidney issues with the Moderna?

I’ve felt like I’ve been hit by a bus today after having the second jab yesterday but the worst bit at the minute is I can’t stop pissing and my kidneys are killing me