The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Incidentally, for the vaccine reaction watchers, my ingratitude about the trial has been noted by the karma controllers. Today I had a flu jab in one arm and a Pfizer covid jab in the other - both arms now hurt.

Flu jab started hurting first, almost immediately in fact (so probably just unlucky placement by the jabber). Pfizer jab now hurts more. So I guess it's a draw so far.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Incidentally, for the vaccine reaction watchers, my ingratitude about the trial has been noted by the karma controllers. Today I had a flu jab in one arm and a Pfizer covid jab in the other - both arms now hurt.

Flu jab started hurting first, almost immediately in fact (so probably just unlucky placement by the jabber). Pfizer jab now hurts more. So I guess it's a draw so far.
That makes sense though. Flu shots, for me anyway, only left a slightly numb arm for a short while.. The Pfizer shot was way more intense; slow to arrive but hurt more and lasted longer.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The Joys of Being a Vaccine Trialist - Part 94...

A recap then. I had two doses of Novavax in November of 2020. Unfortunately, though the efficacy and safety data (UK, US, Mexico trials) has been good/great - Novavax have struggled with upscaling manufacturing.
Net effect: no approval from any of the regulators.
Result for the world: about a billion fewer doses of vaccine this year.
Result for me personally = trialists can't travel to most European countries, which has really screwed up "the grand reopening" for me as it's stopping me visiting family and friends, and is messing up my work as well.

Today I had my fifth COVID vaccine jab. Jabs 1/2 - Novavax - back in November. Jab 3/4 - placebo - done as a "crossover" during April this year. Jab 5 - Pfizer.

To get a jab I needed a letter from the trial saying I could, a letter from my GP saying I could and a half hour debate with a sympathetic doctor at a vaccine walk-in centre. "Computer says no," is basically the situation unless you can come up with a suitable blame-sharing document set. The walk-in centre doctor came up with a solution - "we can give you a booster - that's Pfizer - then maybe, by the time you're due your second dose, we can have a statement from the JCVI saying it's alright."

Apparently, because the national guidance doesn't exist, the outcome varies from doctor to doctor, vaccine centre to centre. It also depends on the trialists willingness to lie to the walk-in centres, though with computerised records the window for lying has now gone for most trialists.

I don't regret joining the trial. I actually felt as if I was doing something useful. I do regret staying on it after the UK safety/efficacy phase was complete - I'd already done my bit for science then :smirk: If I'd just got rejabbed with AZ or Pfizer in the summer (before the trial vaccine records were uploaded to the NHS app) I wouldn't feel like I'd needlessly spoiled 6 months of my business and family life.

Trivial stuff compared to the global impact of covid. That doesn't stop me feeling childishly pissed off about it though - especially as it's really only an admin issue.
Bloody outrageous that people who stepped up and risked themselves for us all are treated so shabbily. As far as I can tell there is no medical reason you couldn't have Pfizer x2.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Well vaxx proof to enter cafes is in place, apart from public stoning I'm not sure what else you can do. Personally I'm in favour of companies making it mandatory if you want to keep your job.
Medicare levy increase, reduced access to tax breaks, make it conditional to enrol kids in school or childcare, make vaccination conditional for most employments or enrolment to Uni etc etc

Lots of ways

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Well vaxx proof to enter cafes is in place, apart from public stoning I'm not sure what else you can do. Personally I'm in favour of companies making it mandatory if you want to keep your job.
Netherlands are at 86.3% (at least one dose) and 82.4% (course complete) of your over 18s. Vaccination has only recently opened to 12-18s, but that group is already 50% fully vaccinated.

You can probably get to 90% of over 18s by targeted campaigns, easy access to vaccines etc. It gets tougher as you go down the age groups of course - less personal risk from Covid, more likely to have had (or think they've had) Covid. Even so the "willingness to be vaccinated" surveys suggest about 85% of the younger ones plan to be vaccinated - maybe once a "certificate of recovery" runs out or if foreign travel or similar issue demands it. Getting past the 90% of adults mark is tough though.

It's easy to talk about people losing their job, harder when it's that HGV driver or farmworker that you're short of (taking UK examples there, as I don't know the shortage jobs in the Netherlands).

Same with school kids. You have to know who you're excluding - there's a strong chance you'll exclude the most disadvantaged kids, from the most deprived homes, and you might magnify racial inequality in the same move.

When you head into the groups most disconnected from normal society, the homeless, the long-term jobless, the ones going through serious mental health issues you get another problem. You've got nothing to threaten them with (they aren't going to work, night clubs or on holiday anyway) And you risk compounding their problems rather than removing a risk - particular if it sounds like the kind of coercion they already fear. Incentives and care are needed more than enforcement.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Sweden have decided to stop using Moderna with their under 30s, due to concerns over myocarditis. New vaccinations in this age group will be with Pfizer.

They emphasise that it's a rare complication and that most people soon recover, but as they do have Pfizer available where the risk profile looks better, they're switching to that.

RedRover

Someone I know has had an allergic reaction to the Pfizer jab. That’s not that alarming - although scary, it’s unfortunately bound to happen to a small percentage. She’s been having fits up to 10 times a day.

What is alarming is that the doctors and nurses in the nhs have refused to take her seriously. They didn’t even believe it was happening until one happened during a hospital visit. Even since then one nurse told her she can stop now as she won’t be receiving any drugs - in the middle of a fit.
Shocking stuff, that.

Santos J

Someone I know has had an allergic reaction to the Pfizer jab. That’s not that alarming - although scary, it’s unfortunately bound to happen to a small percentage. She’s been having fits up to 10 times a day.

What is alarming is that the doctors and nurses in the nhs have refused to take her seriously. They didn’t even believe it was happening until one happened during a hospital visit. Even since then one nurse told her she can stop now as she won’t be receiving any drugs - in the middle of a fit.
What the feck

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

Unfortunately people with unusual conditions, and ones that can't be seen on blood tests, scans etc often have to deal with a lot of medical rejection before being taken seriously. If your friend didn't meet one of the standard criteria, for an epileptic fit say, I guess some are likely to assume that it's simply a hoax or maybe imagination rather than something that with the right handling they can diagnose or treat.

Something like this:
https://www.medpagetoday.com/neurology/generalneurology/94151
Could be involved for example, and that could take ages to get an actual diagnosis.

But finding support quickly and and finding support that will keep digging for a proper diagnosis at the same time - that's tough, particularly where health services are stretched.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

CFR = case fatality rate
Calculates how likely you are to die if you catch covid. Remember though, you are also less likely to catch covid if you've been vaccinated - so the advantages of being vaccinated are even higher.

Also remember, some of those unvaccinated ones have already had a previous covid infection. Your mortality risk level will be higher if you've had no prior infection, and no vaccine.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Unfortunately people with unusual conditions, and ones that can't be seen on blood tests, scans etc often have to deal with a lot of medical rejection before being taken seriously. If your friend didn't meet one of the standard criteria, for an epileptic fit say, I guess some are likely to assume that it's simply a hoax or maybe imagination rather than something that with the right handling they can diagnose or treat.

Something like this:
Could be involved for example, and that could take ages to get an actual diagnosis.

But finding support quickly and and finding support that will keep digging for a proper diagnosis at the same time - that's tough, particularly where health services are stretched.
I just hope she gets better soon. It looks really distressing from the vids I've seen that her boyfriend took. She's been trying to go more public with it on her socials in the hope someone gets in touch with answers, or doctors start taking it more seriously. That's brought on a load of abuse too, which I'm guessing she could do without.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I just hope she gets better soon. It looks really distressing from the vids I've seen that her boyfriend took. She's been trying to go more public with it on her socials in the hope someone gets in touch with answers, or doctors start taking it more seriously. That's brought on a load of abuse too, which I'm guessing she could do without.
She should start off with an open mind about what caused these seizures. It would be very unusual for them to be triggered by a vaccine so there’s a good chance the timing is completely coincidental. If she’s absolutely adamant the vaccine caused them (and won’t listen to alternative theories) then she might not get taken as seriously as she should be. The most important thing is to get properly investigated. Social media will be zero help in this regard. There are all sorts of nasty conditions which can underly new onset seizures and it sounds like she needs to be referred to a neurologist.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Something like this:

Only saw this after my post. That link is fascinating.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
She should start off with an open mind about what caused these seizures. It would be very unusual for them to be triggered by a vaccine so there’s a good chance the timing is completely coincidental. If she’s absolutely adamant the vaccine caused them (and won’t listen to alternative theories) then she might not get taken as seriously as she should be. The most important thing is to get properly investigated. Social media will be zero help in this regard. There are all sorts of nasty conditions which can underly new onset seizures and it sounds like she needs to be referred to a neurologist.
She's never had a fit before and had one the first day after the first jab. She put that down to coincidence. After the second jab they began occuring up to ten times a day. I'd be really surprised if it wasn't what caused it, perhaps indirectly?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
She's never had a fit before and had one the first day after the first jab. She put that down to coincidence. After the second jab they began occuring up to ten times a day. I'd be really surprised if it wasn't what caused it, perhaps indirectly?
It can’t be ruled out, that’s for sure. @jojojo’s link gives a good explanation for neurological symptoms associated with - but not caused by - a vaccination. The main thing is to get thoroughly checked out to rule out the proper nastys. Has she had an EEG and CT or MRI of her head etc?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It can’t be ruled out, that’s for sure. @jojojo’s link gives a good explanation for neurological symptoms associated with - but not caused by - a vaccination. The main thing is to get thoroughly checked out to rule out the proper nastys. Has she had an EEG and CT or MRI of her head etc?
She's been told she's not a priority for the MRI. Not sure about the others. She's a mate but not dead close, so don't know every detail.

mikey_d

Had my covid booster today. Going to be interesting to see the side effects this time.

lynchie

That's exactly it. I understand why the individual doctors (and even the local trial teams) can't take action alone. I feel bad about nagging the trial team, my GP and the vaccine centre doctor really - it's not their fault. That's why it needs the national leadership to step in.

In some areas the trialists can't even get boosters, despite being 10 months past their second dose. That branch of the limbo group includes some health workers, and over 70s. My issue is mostly about my travel restrictions, theirs is also very directly about their health.

I still get notifications from NIHR (NHS research) telling me how great the trials are and inviting me to join another one. Not a chance :lol:
Looks like you pushed them over the edge! Not sure whether I can just go ahead and book myself in now, or whether I should wait for them to invite me.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Looks like you pushed them over the edge! Not sure whether I can just go ahead and book myself in now, or whether I should wait for them to invite me.

The Novavax trialists lobby have been pretty determined. They've ended up getting a fair bit of media coverage, as well as doing a lot of moaning to MPs, people like JVT, and groups like NIHR.

It is unfortunate that it's come down to a fight to get an untested re-vaccination though. To be fair to JVT and that team, they always tried to argue the case that trialists should be included in all UK definitions of vaccinated. But ultimately a lot of us are walking away, not because of fears over the efficacy, but because of travel issues in Europe. I'm not surprised that deal proved impossible, I'm just frustrated that it took so long for the PHE etc to accept that it was already a problem.

The trouble of course is that whenever you start down the road of getting a vaccine, if they stick to the idea of "individual counselling" and 8 weeks+ between doses - you're basically looking at three months before you're officially vaccinated to international standards. That's a long time even with the guideline changes.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Not sure whether I can just go ahead and book myself in now, or whether I should wait for them to invite me.
Looks like you may need to wait for an update from your trial site:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/clinical-trialists-to-be-offered-top-up-vaccine-doses

"The additional doses will initially be offered to those taking part in the Novavax trial, which includes the vast majority of those in ongoing trials for vaccines not yet approved for deployment. The offer will then be rolled out to participants in other relevant trials within the coming weeks. Novavax participants will be offered two doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, with an eight-week interval between first and second doses."

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Italy has reached the target of 80% of eligible citizens (over 12 years old) being fully-vaccinated. It's a good result for us, as the country was slow to get going.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Free speech exists because you literally were free to post this. Doesn’t make that post immune to critical responses.

People need to stop fecking whining about free speech every time they get criticised. It’s not how it works and you all sound like massive babies.
There’s freedom of speech, which also means you’re free to call idiots, fecking idiots.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Is the booster jab any different from the first (or second)?

I've had both jabs (second was 4-5 months ago) and first ever flu jab last year. Didn't get any pain from any.. hoping booster is same.

izec

It will now get moving in certain countries in Western Europe, as governments are implementing 2G models and firms as well. Self testing is getting removed, so to go to the office, you would need to pay for a PCR test if not vaccinated or infected previously, which isn't cheap.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Is the booster jab any different from the first (or second)?

I've had both jabs (second was 4-5 months ago) and first ever flu jab last year. Didn't get any pain from any.. hoping booster is same.
The boosters are standard Pfizer doses - same doses as the ones that people have been getting for months.

I had a flu jab last year and didn't feel anything. This one hurt straight away, which probably means the vaccinator hit a bit of my arm that didn't want hitting. Fortunately it was more or less back to normal by the time I went to bed.

I say fortunately because Pfizer arm was too tender to lie on, In fact I had to prop it up on a pillow to stop it complaining. It took a couple of days to get it back to normal.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
When you've heard so many bullshit anti-vax arguments, that when a close colleague who believes in natural immunity and homeopathic remedies confides in you about leaving the company due to said company mandating proof of vaccination or termination, you don't call him a stupid idiot who should just get the shot, but in the interest of maintaining a valuable connection, you fire off some of those bullshit anti-vax arguments back to him <

Andersonson

Looking at the graph 75% have had 1 shot and 65% have had 2 shots

Cases are up 2% on last week and the R rate is on the climb towards 1
75% of what? The entire population or the eligble ?

In my country 68% is fully vaccinated, but we don't give it to those aged 0-15.